Swift loading dfs's list of words :P

Branimir Maksimovic

Jul 19, 2021, 7:33:05 PMJul 19
import Foundation
@main
struct Main {
static func main(){
do {
let s = try String(contentsOfFile:"words_alpha.txt")
let sep = CharacterSet(charactersIn:" \t\r\n")
let words = s.components(separatedBy:sep)
print(String(format:"loaded %d words",words.count))
print(String(format:"first and last words %@ %@",words[0],words[words.count-1]))
} catch {
print("error reading \"words_alpha.txt\" %@",error)
}
}
}

time :
bmaxa@Branimirs-Air english-words % swiftc -Ounchecked words.swift -parse-as-library
bmaxa@Branimirs-Air english-words % time ./words
loaded 370103 words
first and last words a zwitterionic
./words 0.11s user 0.01s system 96% cpu 0.127 total

So why bother with C?

--
bmaxa now listens Vanguard by yelworC from Collection 88-94

Jeff-Relf.Me

Jul 19, 2021, 7:46:38 PMJul 19
Maksimovic:
> So why bother with C?

Because God himself speaks C/C++ (ha ha).

Branimir Maksimovic

Jul 19, 2021, 7:54:05 PMJul 19
Most Boring thing in C is parsing chars...

--
bmaxa now listens 05 strike

DFS

Jul 19, 2021, 8:14:25 PMJul 19
C is a HASSLE! But it's important for me to not get stuck using python,
so I usually create a C version of everything I make in python. It
takes me at least 5x as long.

import sys, time
dictfile = sys.argv[1]
t0 = time.perf_counter()
try:
with open(dictfile) as f:
words = f.read().splitlines()
except BaseException as error:
print(error)
exit()
t1 = time.perf_counter()
print('\n%d words loaded in %.3f seconds' % (len(words), (t1 - t0)))
print("First word '%s', Last word '%s'" % (words[0],words[len(words)-1]))

$ python loadwords.py words_alpha.txt

370103 words loaded in 0.077 seconds
First word 'a', Last word 'zwitterionic'

pwned

Get with the .py!

Jeff-Relf.Me

Jul 19, 2021, 8:20:50 PMJul 19
You (Maksimovic) replied ( to me ):
> God himself speaks C/C++ (ha ha).
>
> Most Boring thing in C is parsing chars...

Speaking for myself, and no one else,
the C++ code I write is _not_ boring, to say the least.

Left alone, I sleep longer, altering my "normal" wake-up time.
"BedTime.PNG" estimates when I'd go to sleep & wake up ( if undisturbed ):

http://Jeff-Relf.Me/BedTime.PNG

Some of the code changes I made yesterday:

// Notice the " gOff: Bac( >= 5, gOn ) gOn: Bac( <= 2, gOff ) "
// and the " pOff: pOn: " goto labels.
//
// Also, notice my love affair with "#define";
// without it, I feel naked.

http://Jeff-Relf.Me/Diff.PNG
http://Jeff-Relf.Me/X.HTM
http://Jeff-Relf.Me/X.ZIP

#define SkipLn ( !( B = *PP ) || !*B || *B == '/' )
#define _OK ( Lv&1 && ( **OK = 0 ), Lv = 0, OK = PP )
#define gRec( @ ) ( rv@ = @ - _10amSecs, rvRec = *SecsToFields( rv@ ), 0 )
#define g@( @ ) ( @ = Base360_To_Secs( B ) )
#define Fwd { while ( ++PP < EE && SkipLn ); if ( PP >= EE ) break ; }
#define Bac( Indented, gNext ) { while ( --PP >= BB && SkipLn ); if ( PP < BB && _OK ) break ; \
if ( _B = B, !( B[-1] Indented ) || *B != '.' && !isDigit( *B ) || !g@( Big@ ) ) goto UneXpected ; \
if ( PP > _BB && AtoF( B ) < 1.5 ) { **PP = 0, Lv++, Dirty = 1 ; goto gNext ; } _OK ; }

if ( ClearScreen, Diff_Load = 1, !Load_File( LocDir, AwayLog ) || !fpLines.BB ) { Sh( L" - Couldn't READ \"%s\".", TheOpenFile ); return; }
if ( !( _B = B = *fpLines.BB ) ) { Sh( L" - \"%s\" is Bad. ", TheOpenFile ); return ; }
i = fv = Lv = Saved = Big@ = On@ = 0, OK = fpLines.PP, Dirty = !( *B == '/' && ( fv = AtoF( B + 4 ) ) ), DaysPerHr = ER( .9, fv );
{ LoopPP( Ln, fpLines ) { PP-- ; Fwd if ( ++i >= 2 ) break ; } _BB = PP ; }
{ LoopBacPP( Ln, fpLines ) { PP++ ; gOff: Bac( >= 5, gOn ) gOn: Bac( <= 2, gOff ) On@ = Big@ ; } }
if ( Big@ != On@ ) { UneXpected: Sh( L" - \"%*s%s\" in \"%s\" is UneXpected. ", _B[-1], L"", _B, TheOpenFile ); return ; }
gRec( Big@ ), TopRec = rvRec, TopRec.tm_mday++, TopRec.tm_hour = TopRec.tm_min = TopRec.tm_sec = 0, Big@ = mktime( &TopRec ) + _10amSecs - 1 ;
if ( Dirty ) { i = On@ = Off@ = 0, D = _B_Sh, *D++ = UTF_16_Sig ; D += Str( D, L"// \r\n" );
{ LoopPP( Ln, fpLines ) { PP-- ; Fwd if ( g@( On@ ), !Off@ ) goto pOn ; h = ( Off@ - On@ )/3600. ;
pOff: gDate( Off@ ), i = 0, D += Str( D, L"%s %s %s %s\r\n", L" ",_4·1( h ), B_gDate, u64_toBase360( Off@ ) );
if ( ( Big@ - Off@ )/_24_60_60 > PlotDays + 2 ) break ;

pOn: Fwd g@( Off@ ), gDate( On@ ), i = 1, D += Str( D, L"%s %s %s %s\r\n", _4·1( ( On@ - Off@ )/3600. ), L" ", B_gDate, u64_toBase360( On@ ) ); } }

if ( h = 99, i ) goto pOff ; fOpen( LocDir, AwayLog, L"wb" ), fwrite( _B_Sh, szChr, D - _B_Sh, fp ), fClose ;
if ( Diff_Load = 1, !Load_File( LocDir, AwayLog ) ) { Sh( L"-- Couldn't READ \"%s\".", TheOpenFile ); return; } }

Branimir Maksimovic

Jul 19, 2021, 8:21:30 PMJul 19
Bravo!

--
bmaxa now listens Penis Et Circes by Impaled Nazarene from Rapture

Branimir Maksimovic

Jul 19, 2021, 8:25:05 PMJul 19
Jeff, that code is unreadable...

Steve Carroll

Jul 19, 2021, 8:29:44 PMJul 19
OMG! You drank the Koolaid! How much and how long ago?!

;)

Steve Carroll

Jul 19, 2021, 8:31:09 PMJul 19
You need 'Relf-Ray' vision.

Jeff-Relf.Me

Jul 19, 2021, 8:39:09 PMJul 19
You (Maksimovic) replied ( to me ):
> > { LoopBacPP( Ln, fpLines ) { PP++ ;
> > gOff: Bac( >= 5, gOn )
> > gOn: Bac( <= 2, gOff ) On@ = Big@ ; } }
>
> Jeff, that code is unreadable...

Yet C++ professionals _have_ modified my code,
bitching and moaning all the way.

Branimir Maksimovic

Jul 19, 2021, 8:43:16 PMJul 19
I have diabetes :P

--
bmaxa now listens Setlon by Eluveitie from Everything Remains as it Never Was

Branimir Maksimovic

Jul 19, 2021, 8:45:10 PMJul 19
On 2021-07-20, Jeff-Relf.Me @. <Jeff-Relf.Me@> wrote:
That code is readonly, can't be modified...

Jeff-Relf.Me

Jul 19, 2021, 8:51:41 PMJul 19
You (Maksimovic) replied ( to me ):
> > C++ professionals _have_ modified my code,
> > bitching and moaning all the way.
>
> That code is readonly, can't be modified...

I'm not drawing cartoons for five-year-old girls.

UnLike you, I'm all about the results, the app,
not how _fast_ it runs, nor how _easy_ it is to read.

Branimir Maksimovic

Jul 19, 2021, 9:21:22 PMJul 19
On 2021-07-20, Jeff-Relf.Me @. <Jeff-Relf.Me@> wrote:
I bet no one pay you for that :P

--
bmaxa now listens The bloodhoundgang A lap dance is so much better when the stripper is crying by artist from title

Jeff-Relf.Me

Jul 19, 2021, 9:49:58 PMJul 19
You (Maksimovic) replied ( to me ):
> > I'm not drawing cartoons for Little girls.
> >
> > UnLike you, I'm about the results, the app,
> > not how _fast_ it runs,
> > nor how _easy_ the C++ source code is to read.
>
> I bet no one pay you for that :P

Not only was _I_ paid,
others were also paid to modify my source code.

http://Jeff-Relf.Me/2019.ABA.Agreement.PDF

That job, contracting for "The Bankers"
( "ABA.COM", Washington DC ) lasted 36 years
( ending at the end of 2019 ).

2020, the government paid me 10 thousand $ to _not_ work.

I manage a 32 unit rooming house; so I pay no rent.

The government gives me 329 $/month for food.

Free Healthcare ( which I never use ).

"Amazon Fresh" delivers groceries within a 2 hour window,
same-day delivery. The driver calls me when he arrives,
then directly hands me the bags, so they aren't stolen.

I pay _Zero_ $ for these quick/safe deliveries,
and I can track the driver on a map, hours before he arrives.

Yes, that's what it's like when
you live in a filthy-rich city, like Seattle.

People come her from all over the world to _not_ work.

DFS

Jul 19, 2021, 10:10:01 PMJul 19
On 7/19/2021 8:20 PM, Jeff-Relf.Me@. wrote:
> if ( ClearScreen, Diff_Load = 1, !Load_File( LocDir, AwayLog ) || !fpLines.BB ) { Sh( L" - Couldn't READ \"%s\".", TheOpenFile ); return; }
> if ( !( _B = B = *fpLines.BB ) ) { Sh( L" - \"%s\" is Bad. ", TheOpenFile ); return ; }
> i = fv = Lv = Saved = Big@ = On@ = 0, OK = fpLines.PP, Dirty = !( *B == '/' && ( fv = AtoF( B + 4 ) ) ), DaysPerHr = ER( .9, fv );
> { LoopPP( Ln, fpLines ) { PP-- ; Fwd if ( ++i >= 2 ) break ; } _BB = PP ; }
> { LoopBacPP( Ln, fpLines ) { PP++ ; gOff: Bac( >= 5, gOn ) gOn: Bac( <= 2, gOff ) On@ = Big@ ; } }
> if ( Big@ != On@ ) { UneXpected: Sh( L" - \"%*s%s\" in \"%s\" is UneXpected. ", _B[-1], L"", _B, TheOpenFile ); return ; }
> gRec( Big@ ), TopRec = rvRec, TopRec.tm_mday++, TopRec.tm_hour = TopRec.tm_min = TopRec.tm_sec = 0, Big@ = mktime( &TopRec ) + _10amSecs - 1 ;
> if ( Dirty ) { i = On@ = Off@ = 0, D = _B_Sh, *D++ = UTF_16_Sig ; D += Str( D, L"// \r\n" );
> { LoopPP( Ln, fpLines ) { PP-- ; Fwd if ( g@( On@ ), !Off@ ) goto pOn ; h = ( Off@ - On@ )/3600. ;
> pOff: gDate( Off@ ), i = 0, D += Str( D, L"%s %s %s %s\r\n", L" ",_4·1( h ), B_gDate, u64_toBase360( Off@ ) );
> if ( ( Big@ - Off@ )/_24_60_60 > PlotDays + 2 ) break ;
>
> pOn: Fwd g@( Off@ ), gDate( On@ ), i = 1, D += Str( D, L"%s %s %s %s\r\n", _4·1( ( On@ - Off@ )/3600. ), L" ", B_gDate, u64_toBase360( On@ ) ); } }
>
> if ( h = 99, i ) goto pOff ; fOpen( LocDir, AwayLog, L"wb" ), fwrite( _B_Sh, szChr, D - _B_Sh, fp ), fClose ;
> if ( Diff_Load = 1, !Load_File( LocDir, AwayLog ) ) { Sh( L"-- Couldn't READ \"%s\".", TheOpenFile ); return; } }

https://imgur.com/a/pyvrWya

It still doesn't make a lick of sense.

Jeff-Relf.Me

Jul 19, 2021, 10:46:22 PMJul 19
You (DFS) replied ( to me ):
> > Without "#define", I feel naked.
> > { LoopBacPP( Ln, fpLines ) { PP++ ; gOff: Bac( >= 5, gOn ) gOn: Bac( <= 2, gOff ) On@ = Big@ ; } }
> > if ( Big@ != On@ ) { UneXpected: Sh( L" - \"%*s%s\" in \"%s\" is UneXpected. ", _B[-1], L"", _B, TheOpenFile ); return ; }
>
> https://imgur.com/a/pyvrWya
> It still doesn't make a lick of sense.

Left alone, I sleep longer, altering my "normal" wake-up time.
"BedTime.PNG" estimates when I'd go to sleep & wake up ( if undisturbed ):
http://Jeff-Relf.Me/BedTime.PNG

What the app _does_ is the _only_ thing that matters.

I'm the _only_ one who has to read the source code.
So why bitch ?!

If you like what the app does, write one yourself;
don't try to modify my code.

The speed is so much _not_ an issue, it's ridiculous;
yet that's all you guys ever talk about: Speed.

Branimir Maksimovic

Jul 19, 2021, 10:50:26 PMJul 19
On 2021-07-20, Jeff-Relf.Me @. <Jeff-Relf.Me@> wrote:
Speed is not matter if program finish in reasonable time...

--
bmaxa now listens Gilles Peterson 03 - 06 - 04 Part2

chrisv

Jul 19, 2021, 11:19:35 PMJul 19
Branimir Maksimovic wrote:

> Relf wrote:
>>
>> (garbage snipped)
>>
>Jeff, that code is unreadable...

If you can read Relf's code, he feels naked.

--
"[chrisv] claims [Relf's] code is shitty. Let's see him substantiate
it with some facts and a code analysis." - trolling fsckwit

F Russell

Jul 20, 2021, 11:31:45 AMJul 20
On Tue, 20 Jul 2021 02:50:22 +0000, Branimir Maksimovic wrote:

>> The speed is so much _not_ an issue, it's ridiculous;
>> yet that's all you guys ever talk about: Speed.
>
> Speed is not matter if program finish in reasonable time...

Speed is the most important and significant factor in all
of computing. Indeed, speed is the reason that computers,
both analog and digital, were developed.

You obviously do not create demanding software.

I create physical simulations that have a run time not
in seconds, not in minutes, but in HOURS, or even
DAYS if pushed to extreme limits. Any increase in speed
would significantly reduce the run time and that is
always very desirable. Waiting for 1 hour is much better
that waiting for 2 hours.

For SERIOUS computing speed is all.

For Mickey Mouse email/netflix/facebook then any
sluggish junk will do.

--

Systemd free. D.E. free.

Always and forever.

F Russell

Jul 20, 2021, 11:39:34 AMJul 20
On Mon, 19 Jul 2021 22:19:32 -0500, chrisv wrote:

>>Jeff, that code is unreadable...
>
> If you can read Relf's code, he feels naked.

He's obviously not writing for the sake of the corporate
group. He's writing for himself.

That's what PERSONAL COMPUTING is all about.

I create professional-level programs on my personal
machine that are intended for myself alone. Many other
people do the same. Therefore, I am under no obligation
to make my code readable to others, and I don't.

OTOH, when I present code on my personal web site then
I will be careful with formatting and comments so that
visitors can understand.

Remember: not all programming is done under the auspices
of some grubbing commercial enterprise. In fact, the best
and most efficient code invariably is not.

DFS

Jul 20, 2021, 4:00:38 PMJul 20
On 7/20/2021 11:30 AM, F Russell wrote:

> I create physical simulations that have a run time not
> in seconds, not in minutes, but in HOURS, or even
> DAYS if pushed to extreme limits.

DAYS? That must be the shittiest code ever written in the history of
programming.

You need to get a 'REAL MAN' to write your programs.

DFS

Jul 20, 2021, 4:59:06 PMJul 20
Care to share some of the bitching emails they sent (remove all
identifying info)? I'm curious what they said about your code.

When you say 'modified'... I think you mean they rewrote nearly every
letter of it. A true pro definitely would, if it resembled what you've
posted. And they would add comments.

Steve Carroll

Jul 20, 2021, 5:12:06 PMJul 20
On 2021-07-20, Jeff-Relf.Me @. <Jeff-Relf.Me@> wrote:
Speed does matter with web based apps.

F Russell

Jul 20, 2021, 5:47:47 PMJul 20
On Tue, 20 Jul 2021 21:12:02 +0000, Steve Carroll wrote:

> Speed does matter with web based apps.

Sorry, asshole.

Web sites that are written in basic HTML/CSS have no problem
with speed.

Try surfing with "links -g" to discover that basic truism.

It is the fashionable, javashit-laden crap sites that require the power
of the latest processors.

If web developers (all stupid assholes like you) were not pressured
by their commercial overlords to conform to the outlandish
status quo then there would be less of a problem.

I say "less" because web development is practiced only by
retarded digital cripples (like you) that cannot distinguish their'
arse from a hole in the ground.

Jeff-Relf.Me

Jul 20, 2021, 6:20:49 PMJul 20
You (DFS) replied ( to me ):
> > C++ professionals _have_ modified my code,
> > bitching and moaning all the way.
>
> Care to share some of the emails they sent ?

I too would _love_ to see that, and I was expecting it,
but they never communicated much with me, not directly.

GSB.ORG's Bank Management Simulation, 13k lines,
"BMSim.2007.08.08.CPP", a.k.a. ABA.COM's BankSim(c),
_entirely_ written by me, under the direction of banking
professionals and ThePCBS.ORG's version of it,
"Panther.CPP" ( 31k lines ):

http://Jeff-Relf.Me/BMSim.2007.08.08.CPP
http://Jeff-Relf.Me/Panther.CPP
http://Jeff-Relf.Me/xPanther.CPP

// "xPanther.CPP" includes updates I made to _their_ code.
// The "Jeff" & "Jeff2" mentioned in "Panther.CPP" aren't me.

There are a number of other versions,
including FX exchange simulations in Chinese and Russian,
probably paid for by USAID.

> When you say 'modified'... I think you mean they
> rewrote nearly every letter of it.

You've no idea.

It's 31 thousand lines of C++ code;
not JavaScript in a webpage, not PostScript,
not macros in a spreadsheet.

They added white space everywhere, so I can't diff it.
I diff'ed the output, sets of 50 reports each.
They made _no_ mistakes, despite rewriting a number of reports.

> A true pro definitely would.

You've no idea.

> They'd add comments too.

When I re-factor source code,
the line count drops way, way down.

Whitespace & Comments are a _huge_ red flag;
it means someone doesn't understand what's going on.

I _begrudgingly_ added (minimal) Whitespace & Comments to
"BMSim.2007.08.08.CPP", for them.

Steve Carroll

Jul 20, 2021, 6:39:18 PMJul 20
On 2021-07-20, F Russell <f...@random.info> wrote:
> On Tue, 20 Jul 2021 21:12:02 +0000, Steve Carroll wrote:
>

>> Speed does matter with web based apps.
>>

> Sorry, asshole.
>
> Web sites

... are not apps.

Branimir Maksimovic

Jul 20, 2021, 6:43:17 PMJul 20
On 2021-07-20, Steve Carroll <"Steve Carroll"@noSPAM.none> wrote:
web ui for apps :P

--
bmaxa now listens Solidarity by Angelic Upstarts from The Independent Punk Singles Collection

Jeff-Relf.Me

Jul 20, 2021, 8:03:36 PMJul 20
You (Maksimovic) replied ( to Steve ):
> > Web sites are not apps.
>
> web ui for apps :P

You can talk all day long about how fast or slow random
JavaScript might be but, if it isn't doing anything,
it's just another "code puzzle" for another retard.

Steve Carroll

Jul 20, 2021, 8:18:53 PMJul 20
On 2021-07-20, Branimir Maksimovic <branimir....@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2021-07-20, Steve Carroll <"Steve Carroll"@noSPAM.none> wrote:

>>> Sorry, asshole.
>>>
>>> Web sites
>>
>> ... are not apps.
>
> web ui for apps :P

Not just UI, you can run an app in a web page and that app will rely on
speed. The little image (display) gallery thing I wrote to show hh what
was possible with respect to his requirements is one example.

Steve Carroll

Jul 20, 2021, 8:28:28 PMJul 20
That gallery gizmo I wrote to show hh is doing something, it sorts
images that will be shown based on selections that are made and I assure
you there is definitely a speed component to it.

<https://i.ibb.co/wB8w4Mf/gallery-demo.png>

There are 10,000 JS objects, representing as many faux images, in this
collection. I could make it run miserably slow if I wanted, to the
point where most would consider it unusable. As it is, the 10,000
objects get constructed in the blink of an eye, the window can't keep
up, obviously, it's limited by the browser's ability to render. The
point is... the JS isn't the bottleneck.

rbowman

Jul 20, 2021, 11:05:14 PMJul 20
Try reprojecting gigabytes of MrSID data sometime...

rbowman

Jul 20, 2021, 11:09:22 PMJul 20
That's the most frequent complaint from our clients and that's not even
with a web app. The world is into instant gratification. Luckily I don't
interface directly with the clients or I'd be asking questions like 'How
long did it take Firefox to load that cat video?'

Steve Carroll

Jul 20, 2021, 11:16:27 PMJul 20
On 2021-07-21, rbowman <bow...@montana.com> wrote:
> On 07/20/2021 03:12 PM, Steve Carroll wrote:
>> On 2021-07-20, Jeff-Relf.Me @. <Jeff-Relf.Me@> wrote:
>>> You (DFS) replied ( to me ):

>>> Left alone, I sleep longer, altering my "normal" wake-up time.
>>> "BedTime.PNG" estimates when I'd go to sleep & wake up ( if undisturbed ):
>>> http://Jeff-Relf.Me/BedTime.PNG
>>>
>>> What the app _does_ is the _only_ thing that matters.
>>>
>>> I'm the _only_ one who has to read the source code.
>>> So why bitch ?!
>>>
>>> If you like what the app does, write one yourself;
>>> don't try to modify my code.
>>>
>>> The speed is so much _not_ an issue, it's ridiculous;
>>> yet that's all you guys ever talk about: Speed.
>>
>> Speed does matter with web based apps.
>>

> That's the most frequent complaint from our clients and that's not even
> with a web app.

That's true, too... I could be wrong but I think Relf is more focused on
the 'JS running speed' aspect here than with things like 'site loading
speed' (which also includes 'JS running speed').

> The world is into instant gratification. Luckily I don't
> interface directly with the clients or I'd be asking questions like 'How
> long did it take Firefox to load that cat video?'

LOL!

dfs

Jul 20, 2021, 11:24:10 PMJul 20
Yeah, I don't know what that means...

Snit

Jul 21, 2021, 12:28:23 AMJul 21
On Jul 20, 2021 at 5:03:30 PM MST, "Jeff-Relf.Me @." wrote
<Jeff-R...@Jul.20--5.03pm.Seattle.2021>:
This is similar to what I have been telling Carroll. He has skills -- I
commend him for them -- but his work is about showing the work, or showing he
can do it. He has pretty much nothing where he is using the tools he learns to
get other work done. It is like using a word processor to show what a word
processor can do -- there is absolutely a time for that, but if you are not
using the word processor to write what is the point? Carroll makes demos, even
impressive ones, but if he is just using the tech to show what he can do --
and generally even then just to try to impress those he feels inferior to --
what is the point?

--
Personal attacks from those who troll show their own insecurity. They cannot use reason to show the message to be wrong so they try to feel somehow superior by attacking the messenger.

rbowman

Jul 21, 2021, 1:49:55 AMJul 21
MrSID is a compression scheme for raster files like satellite imagery.
Its claim to fame is you can load partial data like the images for a
particular zoom level without loading the whole mess. The files tend to
be huge.

Many times the data you get is WGS84 which is standard for web stuff.
That's a geographic projection where the coordinates are latitude and
longitude.

Many sites use a projected coordinate system like State Plane.
Representing the surface of a sphere in a plane is a compromise. State
plane has a number of zones for almost all states. For example Missouri
has three different projections centered on KC, Jefferson City, and St.
Louis. The idea is to minimize distortion.

So here you have this great satellite imagery except the roads don't
quite line up with the SPCS vector roads. Reprojection is basically
pixel twiddling, stretch, tuck, and so forth to get everything to line
up. It tends to take forever.

A lot of GIS operations are like that. You fire up the software and go
away for the weekend and hope nothing blows up.

It would be nice to have some of the hardware they use for CGI.

chrisv

Jul 21, 2021, 10:46:43 AMJul 21
Steve Carroll wrote:

>That gallery gizmo I wrote to show hh is doing something, it sorts
>images that will be shown based on selections that are made and I assure
>you there is definitely a speed component to it.
>
><https://i.ibb.co/wB8w4Mf/gallery-demo.png>
>
>There are 10,000 JS objects, representing as many faux images, in this
>collection. I could make it run miserably slow if I wanted, to the
>point where most would consider it unusable. As it is, the 10,000
>objects get constructed in the blink of an eye, the window can't keep
>up, obviously, it's limited by the browser's ability to render. The
>point is... the JS isn't the bottleneck.

Did you need to test your JavaScript, to make sure that it worked as
expected, dipshit?

--
"As [chrisv] gave that appearance [of not knowing how important it is
to run/test a program, to make sure that it works as expected]" -

Steve Carroll

Jul 21, 2021, 1:13:16 PMJul 21
On 2021-07-21, Snit <brock.m...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jul 20, 2021 at 5:03:30 PM MST, "Jeff-Relf.Me @." wrote
><Jeff-R...@Jul.20--5.03pm.Seattle.2021>:
>
>> You (Maksimovic) replied ( to Steve ):
>>>
>>> web ui for apps :P
>>
>> You can talk all day long about how fast or slow random
>> JavaScript might be but, if it isn't doing anything,
>> it's just another "code puzzle" for another retard.
>
> This is similar to what I have been telling Carroll. He has skills -- I
> commend him for them -- but his work is about showing the work, or showing he
> can do it. He has pretty much nothing where he is using the tools he learns to
> get other work done. It is like using a word processor to show what a word
> processor can do -- there is absolutely a time for that, but if you are not
> using the word processor to write what is the point? Carroll makes demos, even
> impressive ones, but if he is just using the tech to show what he can do --
> and generally even then just to try to impress those he feels inferior to --
> what is the point?

Translation: Snit is *still* trying to use his 'psyche degree' to get me
to divulge those I've done work for so he can harass them.

Why does Snit persist in believing people are as stupid as he needs them
to be after almost two decades of being shown they aren't?

Prescott Parasite Tracker v1.2

Jul 21, 2021, 2:25:13 PMJul 21
Steve Carroll <"Steve Carroll"@noSPAM.none> wrote in
The real question is why does snit need to drag your name into every
single thread posted?
And it *is* every single thread posted.

WTF is wrong with snit Mchael Glasser of Prescott Arizona?

pothead

Jul 21, 2021, 2:39:49 PMJul 21
> WTF is wrong with snit Michael Glasser of Prescott Arizona?

One could spend years discussing all the things that are wrong with
snit.
The short answer is snit's brain or what's left of his brain is fried
from years of prescription drug use and mixing of powerful drug
cocktails he uses to self medicate.
That's really all one needs to know.

--
pothead
Tommy Chong For President 2024

Snit

Jul 21, 2021, 2:43:41 PMJul 21
On Jul 21, 2021 at 10:13:12 AM MST, "Steve Carroll" wrote
<sd9kj8$8hi$1...@fretwizzer.eternal-september.org>:

> On 2021-07-21, Snit <brock.m...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Jul 20, 2021 at 5:03:30 PM MST, "Jeff-Relf.Me @." wrote
>> <Jeff-R...@Jul.20--5.03pm.Seattle.2021>:
>>
>>> You (Maksimovic) replied ( to Steve ):

>>> You can talk all day long about how fast or slow random
>>> JavaScript might be but, if it isn't doing anything,
>>> it's just another "code puzzle" for another retard.
>>
>> This is similar to what I have been telling Carroll. He has skills -- I
>> commend him for them -- but his work is about showing the work, or showing he
>> can do it. He has pretty much nothing where he is using the tools he learns to
>> get other work done. It is like using a word processor to show what a word
>> processor can do -- there is absolutely a time for that, but if you are not
>> using the word processor to write what is the point? Carroll makes demos, even
>> impressive ones, but if he is just using the tech to show what he can do --
>> and generally even then just to try to impress those he feels inferior to --
>> what is the point?
>
> Translation:

None needed. I speak for me. You speak for you. That is another fact you
struggle with.

Steve Carroll

Jul 21, 2021, 3:16:45 PMJul 21
No question.

> That's really all one needs to know.

Case in point: Look at one of his favorite circus rides where he pushes
the funky sites he's built as "real-world" sites, as opposed to those
'lowly demos'. Even the most clueless of lay people are aware that a
demo site, containing nothing more than lorem ipsum and placeholder
images, can be superior to a "real-world" site to the end user (I say
that based on the idea that the term "real-world" means a production
site, as opposed to a staging site, but he won't say). Even staging
sites are "real" sites and they are in the "world". In Snit's mind, this
site...

<http://automationpractice.com/index.php>

... isn't as good as this site:

<https://hildoclump.wordpress.com/>

... because only the latter is, somehow, a "real-world" site. I can't
even begin to imagine what's happened to his tiny brain.

Steve Carroll

Jul 21, 2021, 3:18:34 PMJul 21
On 2021-07-21, Snit <brock.m...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jul 21, 2021 at 10:13:12 AM MST, "Steve Carroll" wrote
><sd9kj8$8hi$1...@fretwizzer.eternal-september.org>:
>
>> On 2021-07-21, Snit <brock.m...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> This is similar to what I have been telling Carroll. He has skills -- I
>>> commend him for them -- but his work is about showing the work, or showing he
>>> can do it. He has pretty much nothing where he is using the tools he learns to
>>> get other work done. It is like using a word processor to show what a word
>>> processor can do -- there is absolutely a time for that, but if you are not
>>> using the word processor to write what is the point? Carroll makes demos, even
>>> impressive ones, but if he is just using the tech to show what he can do --
>>> and generally even then just to try to impress those he feels inferior to --
>>> what is the point?
>>
>> Translation:
>
> None needed. I speak for me.

Who *isn't* aware of the message you send with the above?

> You speak for you. That is another fact you
> struggle with.

Here's what you "struggle with":

<sd9rqq$lf8$1...@fretwizzer.eternal-september.org>

Snit

Jul 21, 2021, 3:25:31 PMJul 21
On Jul 21, 2021 at 7:46:39 AM MST, "chrisv" wrote
<rdcgfgpb0mkknj6om...@4ax.com>:

> Steve Carroll wrote:
>
>> That gallery gizmo I wrote to show hh is doing something, it sorts
>> images that will be shown based on selections that are made and I assure
>> you there is definitely a speed component to it.
>>
>> <https://i.ibb.co/wB8w4Mf/gallery-demo.png>
>>
>> There are 10,000 JS objects, representing as many faux images, in this
>> collection. I could make it run miserably slow if I wanted, to the
>> point where most would consider it unusable. As it is, the 10,000
>> objects get constructed in the blink of an eye, the window can't keep
>> up, obviously, it's limited by the browser's ability to render. The
>> point is... the JS isn't the bottleneck.
>
> Did you need to test your JavaScript, to make sure that it worked as
> expected, dipshit?

Carroll is not wrong that speed matters -- a claim nobody is suggesting
otherwise. Where he runs into issues is he thinks in terms of tests and demos
and not real world usage. What if to make a system easier to use it ends up
slowing it down some? What if adding a more appealing front end takes
resources that can slow it down? What about constraints where you only have so
much money and time to optimize?

Carroll recently pointed to this site, referring to it as a "real world" site:
https://fretwizz.wordpress.com

It is not. It is just a demo. He is trying to show how menus can be put on
sidebars, a claim that literally has been questioned by nobody. He spend time
to make a demo that provides literally no value to anyone for anything, just
to see if he could do it (and it is not surprising he can). Nothing wrong with
him tinkering and learning, but that is not at all the same as working toward
getting content up.

He uses the tech to see what he can do with the tech, as opposed to real-world
sites where people use the tech to accomplish a goal outside of the tech.

Snit

Jul 21, 2021, 3:29:33 PMJul 21
On Jul 21, 2021 at 12:18:31 PM MST, "Steve Carroll" wrote
<sd9ru7$lf8$2...@fretwizzer.eternal-september.org>:
If you are to be believed: you.

You go out of your way to misrepresent what I say, saying it is fine for you
to point to things such as this:

https://fretwizz.wordpress.com

And claim that is a "real site" and not just a demo. Nope. You were working to
see if you could get a menu on the sidebar, a task nobody suggested would be
challenging. Nothing wrong with you doing it, but it is not the same as using
the tech to make a site for the sharing of information. You use tech to see
what the tech can do... tests and demos. Others use websites and other tech to
speak about their businesses, or share silly humor, or to otherwise get a
message about something other than the tech out.

Your demos are great -- but let us not pretend this means you little tests are
"real world" work.

%

Jul 21, 2021, 3:30:20 PMJul 21
this looks like two computers facing each other ,
that have argue programs inside that are ,
activated by the command , fight or for protection sake C:/fight

Steve Carroll

Jul 21, 2021, 3:35:14 PMJul 21
On 2021-07-21, Snit <brock.m...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jul 21, 2021 at 7:46:39 AM MST, "chrisv" wrote
><rdcgfgpb0mkknj6om...@4ax.com>:
>
>> Steve Carroll wrote:
>>
>>> That gallery gizmo I wrote to show hh is doing something, it sorts
>>> images that will be shown based on selections that are made and I assure
>>> you there is definitely a speed component to it.
>>>
>>> <https://i.ibb.co/wB8w4Mf/gallery-demo.png>
>>>
>>> There are 10,000 JS objects, representing as many faux images, in this
>>> collection. I could make it run miserably slow if I wanted, to the
>>> point where most would consider it unusable. As it is, the 10,000
>>> objects get constructed in the blink of an eye, the window can't keep
>>> up, obviously, it's limited by the browser's ability to render. The
>>> point is... the JS isn't the bottleneck.
>>
>> Did you need to test your JavaScript, to make sure that it worked as
>> expected, dipshit?
>
> Carroll is not wrong that speed matters -- a claim nobody is suggesting
> otherwise.

"The speed is so much _not_ an issue, it's ridiculous; yet that's all
you guys ever talk about: Speed." Jeff Relf

I'd say that's more than a mere 'suggestion' (sober up).

(snip 'psych degree' BS)

> Carroll recently pointed to this site, referring to it as a "real world" site:
> https://fretwizz.wordpress.com
>
> It is not. It is just a demo.

And demos are never better than "real-world" sites in any way?

How many times did they drop you down the stairs, Snit ;)

(snip more 'psych degree' BS)

pothead

Jul 21, 2021, 3:43:18 PMJul 21
His replies are often so convoluted that it's damn near impossible to
figure out what he is speaking about.
Sometimes I wonder if snit is replying to the wrong thread because he
makes no sense at all.
Other times he seems to reply to people who have him binned which makes
no sense at all.
So IOW snit is the typical uber troll looking to get a rise out of
anyone he can lure into his circus.

At least in COLA his traction is almost nil.
And that is how it should be.

pothead

Jul 21, 2021, 3:45:47 PMJul 21
no , everything should be how i say , why should you get to say ,
rookie usenetters , going to tell everyone how it should be

Steve Carroll

Jul 21, 2021, 3:46:01 PMJul 21
Right, like it's not obvious what your goal is <eyeroll>. Sorry, I won't
give you the ability to harass innocent people. I wouldn't even if you
thought of a far less idiotic method than this.

> saying it is fine for you
> to point to things such as this:
>
> https://fretwizz.wordpress.com
>
> And claim that is a "real site" and not just a demo.

It's a "real-world" demo site. It's a "site", it's "real" and it's in the
"world", that it's a demo doesn't change any of these facts.

> Nope. You were working to
> see if you could get a menu on the sidebar

Working to see? LOL! On a WP site no one has to 'work' to create a
sidebar menu. Now it's becoming clear why you write the goofy stuff you
do ;)

> Your demos are great

That site above isn't "great", it's just an *extremely* simple site that
anyone who can read can build in a short period of time (and no dev
skills required... as you know I have access to nothing on that site in
the way of CSS or JS).

> -- but let us not pretend this means you little tests are
> "real world" work.

Translation: Snit is 'doing what he does' with his 'psych degree'... AGAIN.

Snit

Jul 21, 2021, 3:52:46 PMJul 21
On Jul 21, 2021 at 12:30:04 PM MST, "%" wrote
<BoCdnTdu88Ve6GX9...@giganews.com>:
Can you rewrite that as a haiku?

Snit

Jul 21, 2021, 3:54:52 PMJul 21
On Jul 21, 2021 at 12:35:10 PM MST, "Steve Carroll" wrote
<sd9ste$lf8$4...@fretwizzer.eternal-september.org>:

> On 2021-07-21, Snit <brock.m...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Jul 21, 2021 at 7:46:39 AM MST, "chrisv" wrote
>> <rdcgfgpb0mkknj6om...@4ax.com>:

>>> Did you need to test your JavaScript, to make sure that it worked as
>>> expected, dipshit?
>>
>> Carroll is not wrong that speed matters -- a claim nobody is suggesting
>> otherwise.
>
> "The speed is so much _not_ an issue,

It is one issue. But there are tradeoffs in the real world. Real world work
and demos are not the same thing.

>> Carroll recently pointed to this site, referring to it as a "real world" site:
>> https://fretwizz.wordpress.com
>>
>> It is not. It is just a demo.
>
> And demos are never better than "real-world" sites in any way?

Given how they do not have the same tradeoffs that can be much better in
specific areas. That is the big picture here you keep missing. The sad thing
is you try to push this as though I am saying otherwise -- you really just
cannot get the point.

Steve Carroll

Jul 21, 2021, 4:01:52 PMJul 21
On 2021-07-21, Snit <brock.m...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jul 21, 2021 at 12:35:10 PM MST, "Steve Carroll" wrote
><sd9ste$lf8$4...@fretwizzer.eternal-september.org>:
>
>> On 2021-07-21, Snit <brock.m...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Carroll is not wrong that speed matters -- a claim nobody is suggesting
>>> otherwise.
>>
>> "The speed is so much _not_ an issue,
>
> It is one issue.

(murmured Snit, fresh off a post he wrote where he claimed no one
suggested anything regarding if "speed matters", or not).

"Carroll is not wrong that speed matters -- a claim nobody is suggesting
otherwise." some overmedicated loon named Michael Glasser

(snip crap)

%

Jul 21, 2021, 4:04:25 PMJul 21
probably not

%

Jul 21, 2021, 4:05:21 PMJul 21
he got his easier than i got mine

Snit

Jul 21, 2021, 4:09:52 PMJul 21
On Jul 21, 2021 at 12:45:58 PM MST, "Steve Carroll" wrote
<sd9thm$lf8$5...@fretwizzer.eternal-september.org>:

>>> Who *isn't* aware of the message you send with the above?
>>>
>> If you are to be believed: you.
>>
>> You go out of your way to misrepresent what I say,
>
> Right,

So please stop. You say you do it to yank chains and to try to catch people
falling for your lies and other nonsense. I prefer having conversations in
good faith.

> like it's not obvious what your goal is <eyeroll>.

You fear people will do to you what you have done to others... attack your
clients. You live in fear of others being like you.

>> saying it is fine for you
>> to point to things such as this:
>>
>> https://fretwizz.wordpress.com
>>
>> And claim that is a "real site" and not just a demo.
>
> It's a "real-world" demo site.

LOL! It is a demo where your stated goal was to see if you could get the menu
on the left, a goal nobody suggested would be challenging (yourself included).
It was not a site made to show content unrelated to the site you wanted to
share with the world, the site was about the site itself.

That is the type work you do -- and you do impressive work with it (far more
impressive than your site here). But it is very different than dealing with
the real world constraints of sites. You show you do not get what that even
means. Just a few minutes ago you posted:

<sd9ste$lf8$4...@fretwizzer.eternal-september.org>
-----
> Carroll recently pointed to this site, referring to it as a
> "real world" site:
>
> https://fretwizz.wordpress.com
>
> It is not. It is just a demo.

And demos are never better than "real-world" sites in any way?
-----
You not only miss the point, you get it completely backward. Of course demos
can be better on what they are focusing on. If you have a car made to go fast,
and you give up all the real world tradeoffs of safety and comfort and price,
you can make it go MUCH faster. If you focus instead on safety you can make it
much safer. You can focus on specific areas to test and demo and make them be
much better than what you have in a real-world product people actually use.

There is value in making such demos, but they are not the same as making
actual real-world products.

> It's a "site", it's "real" and it's in the
> "world", that it's a demo doesn't change any of these facts.
>
>> Nope. You were working to
>> see if you could get a menu on the sidebar, a task nobody suggested would be
>> challenging.

> Working to see?
> LOL! On a WP site no one has to 'work' to create a
> sidebar menu.

Hence my noting "a task nobody suggested would be challenging". That, though,
as far as I know was your only stated goal. Did you have others?

Please do not say it was about you wanting to AGAIN compare yourself to me. I
do not get your need for that.

>> Your demos are great -- but let us not pretend this means you little tests are
>> "real world" work.

> That site above isn't "great", it's just an *extremely* simple site that
> anyone who can read can build in a short period of time (and no dev
> skills required... as you know I have access to nothing on that site in
> the way of CSS or JS).

Carroll <scpuag$2o2$1...@fretwizzer.eternal-september.org>:
-----
The "time" to change 'mouseover' to 'click' is a couple of
seconds.
-----

Now you realize some of the tradeoffs of using such a site -- you cannot do
what you suggested I do. That is good: you are at least beginning to
understand a bit of what I have been telling you about tradeoffs.

Next maybe you can show you understand my being able to use a GUI to make a
tooltip does not back your narrative about me hiding my JavaScript knowledge.
I did what is shown here: <https://youtu.be/vIF457hQkE0> and you insisted:

Carroll <sd552i$d85$1...@fretwizzer.eternal-september.org>:
-----
[Apd]
>> I think you'll find I helped with some programming
>> topics.

[Snit]
> With some of the questions I had on AZ and on how to use
> JavaScript to click a button. Thank you for both.

Right, because you had *no* idea how it worked despite doing it on
your 'business' site (and what about your medicated cursors?)
<eyeroll>.
-----

You never did say if you realized how much off track you went there.

Snit

Jul 21, 2021, 4:10:10 PMJul 21
On Jul 21, 2021 at 1:04:10 PM MST, "%" wrote
<wMWdnZJJnuJd4GX9...@giganews.com>:
Can you at least try? Maybe ask a bear to help you.

%

Jul 21, 2021, 4:12:49 PMJul 21
i don't know what they are so i'm not doing it

Snit

Jul 21, 2021, 4:12:54 PMJul 21
On Jul 21, 2021 at 1:05:06 PM MST, "%" wrote
<wMWdnY1JnuJl4GX9...@giganews.com>:
Did you get to introduce Chicken Centered therapy? I did not... but a friend
did present it and give me credit for it at a conference.

His focus was on how novelty / surprise and things outside of what you would
expect help to build memory and understanding. I suggested he start his talk
as if he was presenting a new modality, instead of client-centered or
therapist-centered have it be chicken-centered. He did.

And years later I and others who were there remember that talk and few others.
It worked! :)

Snit

Jul 21, 2021, 4:15:08 PMJul 21