The case against Ubuntu (and Canonical)

vallor

Oct 1, 2022, 10:47:04 AM10/1/22
https://linuxmint-user-guide.readthedocs.io/en/latest/snap.html

ObQuote:
_ _ _ _ _ _ _
Although it is open-source, Snap on the other hand, only works with the
Ubuntu Store. Nobody knows how to make a Snap Store and nobody can. The
Snap client is designed to work with only one source, following a protocol
which isn’t open, and using only one authentication system. Snapd is
nothing on its own, it can only work with the Ubuntu Store.

This is a store we can’t audit, which contains software nobody can patch.
If we can’t fix or modify software, open-source or not, it provides the
same limitations as proprietary software.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _

Note that Linux Mint has snaps disabled by default...

--
-v

Marco Moock

Oct 1, 2022, 11:13:28 AM10/1/22
Am 01.10.2022 um 14:46:59 Uhr schrieb vallor:

> Although it is open-source, Snap on the other hand, only works with
> the Ubuntu Store. Nobody knows how to make a Snap Store and nobody
> can. The Snap client is designed to work with only one source,
> following a protocol which isn’t open, and using only one
> authentication system. Snapd is nothing on its own, it can only work
> with the Ubuntu Store.
>
> This is a store we can’t audit, which contains software nobody can
> patch. If we can’t fix or modify software, open-source or not, it
> provides the same limitations as proprietary software.

Snap and the enforced snap by Canonical for certain applications was
the reason I switched to Debian on most machines.

Alvin P. Picker

Oct 1, 2022, 11:22:23 AM10/1/22
On 1 Oct 2022 14:46:59 GMT, vallor wrote:

> Snapd is
> nothing on its own, it can only work with the Ubuntu Store.

Your intelligence has improved by 0.0001%.

If this keeps up, by 2121 you'll exclusively be using Gentoo.

Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Alvin P. Picker

Don't dare dicker
With the Alvin P Picker
'Cause he'll put you down quicker
Than a fat city slicker
Or a fag boot licker
With a jail house sticker

rbowman

Oct 1, 2022, 12:31:06 PM10/1/22
On 10/1/22 08:46, vallor wrote:
> This is a store we can’t audit, which contains software nobody can patch.
> If we can’t fix or modify software, open-source or not, it provides the
> same limitations as proprietary software.

otoh, I run the Brave browser and it is a snap on Ubuntu 22. It works.

rbowman

Oct 1, 2022, 12:40:23 PM10/1/22
I have Debian on one machine. For various reasons I needed a 32bit OS
and that's about the last one standing. Ubuntu 18 was the last one that
you could convince to compile 32bits and that required installing a
laundry list of libs and tools. Unfortunately VS Code doesn't have a
32bit install anymore but you can't have everything.

I probably should have used Debian on this machine but I had a Ubuntu 22
iso handy and it isn't annoying enough to reinstall.

Marco Moock

Oct 1, 2022, 1:02:46 PM10/1/22
Am 01.10.2022 um 10:40:18 Uhr schrieb rbowman:

> Unfortunately VS Code doesn't have a 32bit install anymore but you
> can't have everything.

Who needs VS Code when you have vim?

rbowman

Oct 1, 2022, 2:57:46 PM10/1/22
Best of all worlds -- add the Vim editing mode to VS Code. I use gVim by
itself for most things. We have an Angular project with many components
that has turned into a huge, convoluted source tree. The directory view
on the left panel of Code is handy for navigating the mess and the
plugin brings almost all of vim's capabilities to the process.

fwiw vim can also be added to Visual Studio.

RonB

Oct 1, 2022, 11:47:10 PM10/1/22
And it's not like you have to use the version of the software that's in the
repository. Nothing keeps you from using (even compiling) applications from
another source.

--
Freedom. Use it or lose it.

RonB

Oct 1, 2022, 11:50:23 PM10/1/22
On 2022-10-01, rbowman <bow...@montana.com> wrote:
I like Debian. If you get one of the Live versions (like Mate) it's pretty
much exactly like installing Linux Mint. Linux Mint even has a Debian (non
Ubuntu) version.

5GyYap52yQ1UGMWD

Oct 2, 2022, 1:00:09 AM10/2/22
I agree. Ubuntu has been going down its own path for quite some time
now. I don't necessarily agree with their "design" decisions
either. Though there are instances that I use Ubuntu for "compatibility
purposes", I try not to install and use it unless I really need to.

--
Pointless meanderings in a bleak and lonely world.

chrisv

Oct 2, 2022, 10:05:14 AM10/2/22
RonB wrote:

> rbowman wrote:
>>
>> otoh, I run the Brave browser and it is a snap on Ubuntu 22. It works.
>
>And it's not like you have to use the version of the software that's in the
>repository. Nothing keeps you from using (even compiling) applications from
>another source.

What? DumFSck said that GNU/Linux users are "still limited by what
the developer allows."

He must have been lying, as usual.

--
"American jigs don't understand how well they have it in 'AmeriKKKa'."
- DumFSck