Vid Card for Linux

Dkjgkgjhsvb

Sep 28, 2022, 12:39:09 PM9/28/22
Me gettin' new vid card:

https://www.newegg.com/asus-geforce-gtx-1660-ti-tuf-gtx1660ti-o6g-ev/p/N82E16814126538?Description=gtx%201660&cm_re=gtx_1660-_-14-126-538-_-Product

This damn good vid card fer only 218 bucks.

Check out these specs for the TU116 GPU:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nvidia_NVDEC

And these:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nvidia_NVENC#Sixth_generation,_Turing_TU10x/TU116

GNU/Linux fully supports this kick-ass functionality.

What about Microcrap Winblows?

Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Shit cannot support even its own weight.

Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

-hh

Sep 28, 2022, 5:32:16 PM9/28/22
On Wednesday, September 28, 2022 at 12:39:09 PM UTC-4, Dkjgkgjhsvb wrote:
> Me gettin' new vid card:
>
> https://www.newegg.com/asus-geforce-gtx-1660-ti-tuf-gtx1660ti-o6g-ev/p/N82E16814126538?Description=gtx%201660&cm_re=gtx_1660-_-14-126-538-_-Product
>
> This damn good vid card fer only 218 bucks.
>
> Check out these specs for the TU116 GPU:
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nvidia_NVDEC
>
> And these:
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nvidia_NVENC#Sixth_generation,_Turing_TU10x/TU116

Oh, enough horsepower for just one 8K stream? How quaint.

-hh

Alvin P. Picker

Sep 28, 2022, 6:36:13 PM9/28/22
On Wed, 28 Sep 2022 14:32:14 -0700 (PDT), -hh wrote:

> Oh, enough horsepower for just one 8K stream?

Horsepower?

Your head must be in the 18th century steam engine period.
Things are measured/expressed differently in current times.

But nope, your head is actually up your ass.

Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

But video is only for vidiots. Since I am a literate person
I primarily communicate through verbal channels. Video is
only secondary. I have no need for moving hieroglyphs.

The reason that this vid card is so cheap is that Nvidia
has cut out the AI and ray-tracing hardware.

But I can easily do AI/ray tracing during down times.
I have no great need for speed in this area.

-hh

Sep 28, 2022, 7:18:01 PM9/28/22
On Wednesday, September 28, 2022 at 6:36:13 PM UTC-4, Alvin P. Picker wrote:
> On Wed, 28 Sep 2022 14:32:14 -0700 (PDT), -hh wrote:
> >
> > Oh, enough horsepower for just one 8K stream?
>
> Horsepower?
>
> Your head must be in the 18th century steam engine period.
> Things are measured/expressed differently in current times.

Oh, so you’re instead using Duckpower?
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKfMWIQXHRE>

> But video is only for vidiots. Since I am a literate person
> I primarily communicate through verbal channels.

He claims, in a text post.

> Video is only secondary. I have no need for moving hieroglyphs.

Yet you still have a video display instead of a line printer
for your primary UI.

> The reason that this vid card is so cheap is that Nvidia
> has cut out the AI and ray-tracing hardware.

Or…it could be because you’re just cheap.

> But I can easily do AI/ray tracing during down times.
> I have no great need for speed in this area.

I can recall projects which had to run overnight …way back in 2002.

-hh

Bob Campbell

Sep 29, 2022, 12:10:47 AM9/29/22
Dkjgkgjhsvb <d...@linux.rocks> wrote:
> Me gettin' new vid card:
>
> https://www.newegg.com/asus-geforce-gtx-1660-ti-tuf-gtx1660ti-o6g-ev/p/N82E16814126538?Description=gtx%201660&cm_re=gtx_1660-_-14-126-538-_-Product
>
> This damn good vid card fer only 218 bucks.
>
> Check out these specs for the TU116 GPU:
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nvidia_NVDEC
>
> And these:
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nvidia_NVENC#Sixth_generation,_Turing_TU10x/TU116
>

> GNU/Linux fully supports this kick-ass functionality.

Only a Linux Loser would think a $200 video card is “kick-ass
functionality”.

That is a bottom-of-the-line card. Just enough for you to run your antique
green screen monitor and your antique bash terminal.

There are ultra high end video cards that cost more than your entire Linux
Kiddie PC.

And of course every video card on the planet supports Windows. The ultra
high end cards do not support Linux. Because no one cares about Linux.

Please grow up. Or at least Get A Life.

Dkjgkgjhsvb

Sep 29, 2022, 7:32:55 AM9/29/22
On Wed, 28 Sep 2022 16:17:58 -0700, -hh wrote:

> I can recall projects which had to run overnight …way back in 2002.

On the average desktop workstation, a job that required an overnight
run (8 hrs) in 2002 would require 2-3 hours today.

One would need to invest big, big bucks to bring that down to 10-20
minutes or so and that kind of expense, to the average desktop workstation
user, would be silly, especially considering that the whole setup
would need to be upgraded every year or so.

This vid card is a fantanstic compromise between low end and high end.

Furthermore, only a GNU/Linux system can bring out the ultimate performance
in *any* kind of hardware.

Dkjgkgjhsvb

Sep 29, 2022, 7:35:25 AM9/29/22
On Thu, 29 Sep 2022 04:10:41 +0000, Bob Campbell wrote:

> That is a bottom-of-the-line card.

The only thing "bottom-of-the-line" is your fucking head.

Thank you for showing us just how fucking stupid and mentally
dilapidated is the Microcrap supporter.

Please show us again soon.

Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

-hh

Sep 29, 2022, 8:28:04 AM9/29/22
On Thursday, September 29, 2022 at 7:32:55 AM UTC-4, Dkjgkgjhsvb wrote:
> On Wed, 28 Sep 2022 16:17:58 -0700, -hh wrote:
> >
> > I can recall projects which had to run overnight …way back in 2002.
> >
> On the average desktop workstation, a job that required an overnight
> run (8 hrs) in 2002 would require 2-3 hours today.

LOL, nope. In 2002, the video standards for 2K and 4K wouldn’t be
ratified for three (3) more years, so you’re looking at just 1080 for
conventional video. Back then, a good workstation could render at
10-20 fps, so an overnight run could cover 3-4 hours worth. Today,
that one stream of 1080 is done in milliseconds, with no lag.

In any event, that’s not what the runs I mentioned were doing; they
were hybrid CFD/FEA simulation models which crashed their Windows
& Linux Xeon workstations before completion, at ~3 days of runtime.
Customer ponied up a few million to go up to a mini cluster.

> One would need to invest big, big bucks to bring that down to 10-20
> minutes or so and that kind of expense, to the average desktop workstation
> user, would be silly, especially considering that the whole setup
> would need to be upgraded every year or so.

Nah. An entire workstation that costs just $2K is the current price of
admission to render multiple 8K streams in real time…in round numbers,
it’s 50x more data at more than 1000x faster versus twenty years ago.

> This vid card is a fantanstic compromise between low end and high end.

It’s maybe a decent change from the onboard GPU on a low end CPU, but it’s
nowhere near state-of-the-shelf for powerful GPUs. There’s even laptops today
with onboard GPUs that are more powerful than this PCIe card you chose.

-hh

Dkjgkgjhsvb

Sep 29, 2022, 8:55:03 AM9/29/22
On Thu, 29 Sep 2022 05:28:02 -0700, -hh wrote:

> On Thursday, September 29, 2022 at 7:32:55 AM UTC-4, Dkjgkgjhsvb wrote:
>> On Wed, 28 Sep 2022 16:17:58 -0700, -hh wrote:
>> >
>> > I can recall projects which had to run overnight …way back in 2002.
>> >
>> On the average desktop workstation, a job that required an overnight
>> run (8 hrs) in 2002 would require 2-3 hours today.
>
> LOL, nope. In 2002, the video standards for 2K and 4K wouldn’t be
> ratified for three (3) more years

Another illiterate dunderhead!

The context of that original statement was RAY TRACING which was
indeed possible in 2002.

A ray-tracing job that required 8 hours in 2002 would today, even
with the RT hardware on consumer GPUs, require 2-3 hours.

There are no shortcuts to ray tracing. It's pure brute force
and only by massive parallelism (i.e. hardware cores) can run
time be reduced.

Regarding video, the medium is but a playpen for idiots.

Why use 50 gigabytes to deliver informational content that is
equivalent to 1 kilobyte?

Why? Because you're an idiot. That's why.

Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

DFS

Sep 29, 2022, 11:02:22 AM9/29/22
On 9/29/2022 8:54 AM, Larry 'To Pluto and Beyond!' Piet
<larry....@gmail.com> wrote:

> Regarding video, the medium is but a playpen for idiots.
>
> Why use 50 gigabytes to deliver informational content that is
> equivalent to 1 kilobyte?

With your lame 2d spinning top sims, you delivered 1KB of content in
50GB of data. Bravo!

-hh

Sep 29, 2022, 1:42:03 PM9/29/22
On Thursday, September 29, 2022 at 8:55:03 AM UTC-4, Dkjgkgjhsvb wrote:
> On Thu, 29 Sep 2022 05:28:02 -0700, -hh wrote:

> >> On the average desktop workstation, a job that required an overnight
> >> run (8 hrs) in 2002 would require 2-3 hours today.
> >
> > LOL, nope. In 2002, the video standards for 2K and 4K wouldn’t be
> > ratified for three (3) more years
> >
> Another illiterate dunderhead!
>
> The context of that original statement was RAY TRACING which was
> indeed possible in 2002.

No, Ray Tracing was what you were trying to add to the existing topic.

> A ray-tracing job that required 8 hours in 2002 would today, even
> with the RT hardware on consumer GPUs, require 2-3 hours...

What I mentioned from 2002 wasn't ray tracing, so not applicable.

FYI, this trial took just 20 minutes:

<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPxWqTKq36Y>

-hh

Dkjgkgjhsvb

Sep 29, 2022, 2:09:21 PM9/29/22
On Thu, 29 Sep 2022 10:42:01 -0700, -hh wrote:

> <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPxWqTKq36Y>

Ahahahahahahahaha! Check out those pathetically shallow comments.

That characterizes the typical Apphole user. They don't know what
the fuck is going on and just allow the junk software to carry them
along like driftwood.

Cartoonery and queers. That's Apphole.

Bob Campbell

Sep 29, 2022, 3:30:28 PM9/29/22
Dkjgkgjhsvb <d...@linux.rocks> wrote:

> Cartoonery and queers. That's Apphole.

Dipshits and douchebags. That’s Linsux.

-hh

Sep 29, 2022, 6:11:36 PM9/29/22
Pretty much just Feeb.

The sad part is that if this kind of rendering is what his workflow needs,
then the YouTube video’s 20 minute compile blows away his current
“2-3hrs” baseline…

Plus there’s already in the market the Max & Ultra versions of that CPU;
each step up doubles the number of GPU’s onboard…if it were to scale
linearly, that would put those iterations at ballpark 10 and 6 minutes.
From a business “time is money” perspective, the $2K step up in cost
would pretty quickly pay for itself.

-hh

Alvin P. Picker

Sep 29, 2022, 6:30:33 PM9/29/22
On Thu, 29 Sep 2022 15:11:33 -0700 (PDT), -hh wrote:

> The sad part is that if this kind of rendering is what his workflow needs,
> then the YouTube video’s 20 minute compile blows away his current
> “2-3hrs” baseline…

I didn't view that stupid video. Who would waste time on the
croaking of Apphole faggots?

I can ray trace 20,000 frames in 2 hours without GPU hardware
and that's damned fucking good by any measure.

> Plus there’s already in the market the Max & Ultra versions of that CPU;
> each step up doubles the number of GPU’s onboard…if it were to scale
> linearly, that would put those iterations at ballpark 10 and 6 minutes.
> From a business “time is money” perspective, the $2K step up in cost
> would pretty quickly pay for itself.

Cost is not the issue.

I am an ACADEMIC and I don't give a flying fuck about "cost."

It is scientific TRUTH that I pursue and that is something that
your degenerate bourgeoisie carcass could never fathom.

GNU/Linux always delivers.

Microcrap is for feeble drones. Apphole is for feeble drone
faggots.

DFS

Sep 29, 2022, 7:26:36 PM9/29/22
Cartoonery and artificial vag's. That's Linux.

"I vape and watch cartoons all day."
"Help me get my vagina!"

https://imgur.com/a/8isMQrT

His name is Leah Rowe, GuhNoo lover and close personal friend of Feeb's

MS is doomed
Apple is doomed

-hh

Sep 29, 2022, 9:05:30 PM9/29/22
On Thursday, September 29, 2022 at 6:30:33 PM UTC-4, Alvin P. Picker wrote:
> On Thu, 29 Sep 2022 15:11:33 -0700 (PDT), -hh wrote:
>

> > The sad part is that if this kind of rendering is what his workflow needs,
> > then the YouTube video’s 20 minute compile blows away his current
> > “2-3hrs” baseline…
> >
> I didn't view that stupid video. Who would waste time on the
> croaking of Apphole faggots?

Doesn’t matter if you watched it or not; it documents where the
20 minutes came from.

> I can ray trace 20,000 frames in 2 hours without GPU hardware
> and that's damned fucking good by any measure.

What size frames? 4K? 8K? 1080p?

> > Plus there’s already in the market the Max & Ultra versions of that CPU;
> > each step up doubles the number of GPU’s onboard…if it were to scale
> > linearly, that would put those iterations at ballpark 10 and 6 minutes.
> > From a business “time is money” perspective, the $2K step up in cost
> > would pretty quickly pay for itself.
>
> Cost is not the issue.

Says the left side of the piehole NOW…
..whereas the right side bragged yesterday of spending just $218.

> Microcrap is for feeble drones. Apphole is for feeble drone
> faggots.

Yet they both wipe the floor with you, so just how impotent does that make you?

-hh

Bob Campbell

Sep 29, 2022, 11:33:55 PM9/29/22
Yes, but the Linux Kiddie is not smart enough to understand any of this.

Remember, he thinks a $200 video card is something special.

He is such a twat.

-hh

Sep 30, 2022, 6:48:53 AM9/30/22
On Thursday, September 29, 2022 at 11:33:55 PM UTC-4, Bob Campbell wrote:
Unfortunately, finances are so poorly taught that we end up with people like Feeb
who don't understand what a false economy is. We've even seen things like some
COLA posters who try to use a term like "accountant" as an attempted insult.

Now granted, in Feeb's specific case, they're probably not doing anything actually
productive with their home hardware that merits spending more than a couple of
wooden nickels, but that doesn't excuse not understanding the basic principles,
as we do these sorts of 'make or buy' decisions every day...and it is by consistently
making good decisions that we end up with having a net better quality of life.

-hh

RonB

Sep 30, 2022, 7:24:26 AM9/30/22
Good thing we all use Linux here. But whatever floats your boat...

--
Freedom. Use it or lose it.

RonB

Sep 30, 2022, 7:24:59 AM9/30/22
Adios.

Dkjgkgjhsvb

Sep 30, 2022, 8:04:13 AM9/30/22
On Thu, 29 Sep 2022 18:05:27 -0700, -hh wrote:

> Unfortunately, finances are so poorly taught ...

Poorly taught? What kind of imbecile would need a college degree
in common sense?

Oh wait ... dumb question.

Ahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

> We've even seen things like some COLA posters who try to use a term
> like "accountant" as an attempted insult.

It *is* an insult.

If bean counters like you ruled the world we would have no Hubble/
Webb space telescopes, no LHC collider, and very little else of
REAL value -- and we sure as fuck wouldn't have GNU/Linux.

In fact, it was the bean counters, in their eternal quest to shave
pennies and make themselves look smart in the process, that transformed
China into a powerhouse that will threaten future global freedom.

> and it is by consistently making good decisions that we end up with
> having a net better quality of life.

Thanks to bean counters like you Western society has degraded with
a lower quality of life for everyone.

DFS

Sep 30, 2022, 10:16:49 AM9/30/22
On 9/29/2022 3:30 PM, Bob Campbell wrote:

> Larry Piet <larry....@gmail.com> posting as Dkjgkgjhsvb <d...@linux.rocks> wrote:
>
>> Cartoonery and queers. That's Apphole.
>
> Dipshits and douchebags. That’s Linsux.

Let me give you a little truth about Feeb (Larry Piet): during the day
he posts from his Windows job, because he's too incompetent to make a
living with Linux.

-hh

Sep 30, 2022, 10:55:23 AM9/30/22
On Friday, September 30, 2022 at 8:04:13 AM UTC-4, Dkjgkgjhsvb wrote:
> On Thu, 29 Sep 2022 18:05:27 -0700, -hh wrote:
> >
> > Unfortunately, finances are so poorly taught ...
> >

> Poorly taught? What kind of imbecile would need a college degree
> in common sense?

Larry Piet.

> Oh wait ... dumb question.

QED.

> > We've even seen things like some COLA posters who try to use a term
> > like "accountant" as an attempted insult.
>
> It *is* an insult.

When that claim comes from a guy who struggles to find $218 for
a minor PC upgrade, its not an insult, but an implicit cry for help.

> If bean counters like you ruled the world we would have no Hubble/
> Webb space telescopes, no LHC collider, and very little else of
> REAL value...

None of those projects would have been realized without financing.

> Thanks to bean counters like you Western society has degraded with
> a lower quality of life for everyone.

Except I'm not an accountant, despite penniless dweebs like Feeb who try
to claim that I can't be STEM because I'm not financially inept like they are.

-hh

DFS

Sep 30, 2022, 11:38:09 AM9/30/22
On 9/30/2022 8:04 AM, Larry A Piet <larry....@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 29 Sep 2022 18:05:27 -0700, -hh wrote:

>> We've even seen things like some COLA posters who try to use a term
>> like "accountant" as an attempted insult.
>>

> It *is* an insult.
>
> If bean counters like you ruled the world

Everyone is a bean counter, so they do rule the world.

> we would have no Hubble/
> Webb space telescopes, no LHC collider, and very little else of
> REAL value

Interesting but expensive and ultimately useless science experiments.
All we get out of them are pretty space pics and tiny particles named
'pentaquarks'.

<cue Feeb to blather on about how the Higgs-Boson is gonna kill Microsoft>

Thanks to forced public taxation, the physicists may have a bigger toy
in 2040 to purse even more useless speculation.

https://fcc-cdr.web.cern.ch

> -- and we sure as fuck wouldn't have GNU/Linux.

You shouldn't have GuhNoo anyway. It's an abomination to clone someone
else's work and give it away because you're pissy over some printer
source code that you think you deserve access to.

And then have the gall to say ""We will give them the free software so
your non-free software will fail"

Jail Stallman

> Thanks to bean counters like you Western society has degraded with
> a lower quality of life for everyone.

You make your own quality of life, dunce. You chose GuhNoo crapware -
now suffer with it.

And don't forget 'bean counters' decide - using MS Excel of course - if
the company can afford to hire twats like you.

DFS

Sep 30, 2022, 11:58:39 AM9/30/22
Comes with space-grade lubricant - your NASA-worthy equations and 2d
spinning top sims are gonna fly off the screen.

The important-est thing is:

* Don't forget your OS, we have Windows 11 OEM, 10 OEM, Download and USB
versions available

And don't use the shitty, hobbyist driver:

"The free and open-source nouveau device driver does not support Nvidia
NVENC."

Look at all the red TODO for the NV160 Turing architecture
https://nouveau.freedesktop.org/FeatureMatrix.html

nVidia developers are doomed.

> This damn good vid card fer only 218 bucks.

It is.

Something's wrong - my Zotac GTX 750Ti, which I bought new for $105, is
selling on NewEgg for $225, and it's not half the card that ASUS 1660Ti
is. The only things it has going for it over the 1660Ti are 1/2 the
power consumption, and it's much smaller.

> Check out these specs for the TU116 GPU:
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nvidia_NVDEC
>
> And these:
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nvidia_NVENC#Sixth_generation,_Turing_TU10x/TU116
>

> GNU/Linux fully supports this kick-ass functionality.
>
> What about Microcrap Winblows?

What functionality isn't available on Windows?

L​e​s​t​e​r​ ​T​h​o​r​p​e​

Sep 30, 2022, 4:52:38 PM9/30/22
On Fri, 30 Sep 2022 07:55:20 -0700 (PDT), -hh wrote:

> None of those projects would have been realized without financing.

Financing is, at the very best, a SECONDARY issue.

The primary issue is the WILL to advance human knowledge despite
any cost.

Bean counters have no will. They are pathetic lackeys that enjoy
a privilege that arises only from bourgeois idiocy.

Put that in your Chinese pipe and smoke it.

Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Lester Thorpe

Lester has spoken.
Disagree? You'll be chokin'.

-hh

Sep 30, 2022, 5:51:10 PM9/30/22
On Friday, September 30, 2022 at 4:52:38 PM UTC-4, L​e​s​t​e​r​ ​T​h​o​r​p​e​ wrote:
> On Fri, 30 Sep 2022 07:55:20 -0700 (PDT), -hh wrote:
> >
> > None of those projects would have been realized without financing.
>
> Financing is, at the very best, a SECONDARY issue.
>
> The primary issue is the WILL to advance human knowledge despite
> any cost.

If that were true, we’d already have a base on the moon … and on mars.

> Bean counters have no will. They are pathetic lackeys that enjoy
> a privilege that arises only from bourgeois idiocy.

That they supposedly have no will .. yet run the world, is an interesting
contortion on your part to be jealous of your socioeconomic superiors.

-hh

chrisv

Sep 30, 2022, 6:01:03 PM9/30/22
-hh wrote:

> L?e?s?t?e?r? ?T?h?o?r?p?e? wrote:
>>
>> The primary issue is the WILL to advance human knowledge despite
>> any cost.
>
>If that were true, we’d already have a base on the moon … and on mars.

No, if we send people to Mars, any time soon, it will only prove that
human stupidity overrides any cost.

Yeah, I know that "smart people" will be needed to make it happen
(collecting a hefty paychecks while they are at it). But what about
the 99.9999% that get zero benefit from spending all of that money?

While China invests in world domination.

--
'According to the "advocates" it "all just works".' - "True Linux
advocate" Hadron Quark

Alvin P. Picker

Oct 1, 2022, 8:34:24 AM10/1/22
On Fri, 30 Sep 2022 14:51:08 -0700 (PDT), -hh wrote:

>> The primary issue is the WILL to advance human knowledge despite
>> any cost.
>
> If that were true, we’d already have a base on the moon … and on mars.

Inadmissible.

The Mars program is not a scientific quest to advance human knowledge.
Rather it is a technological contest against an opposing political
ideology, namely communist China and Russia. It is motivated identically
to the "space race" of the 1960s.

You fail to recognize this simple distinction because you are only
a pathetic bean counter with no scientific soul.

-hh

Oct 1, 2022, 11:51:50 AM10/1/22
On Saturday, October 1, 2022 at 8:34:24 AM UTC-4, Alvin P. Picker wrote:
> On Fri, 30 Sep 2022 14:51:08 -0700 (PDT), -hh wrote:
> >>
> >> The primary issue is the WILL to advance human knowledge despite
> >> any cost.
> >
> > If that were true, we’d already have a base on the moon … and on mars.
> >
> Inadmissible.
>
> The Mars program is not a scientific quest to advance human knowledge.
> Rather it is a technological contest against an opposing political
> ideology, namely communist China and Russia. It is motivated identically
> to the "space race" of the 1960s.

The recent flight of a helicopter on Mars, demonstrating aerodynamic theories
which couldn't readily be tested on Earth, demonstrate otherwise. Ditto for the
scientific research & methods testing for evidence of if there's extra-terrestrial
life, increasing our understanding of geology, weather cycles, etc.

And for 'space race' motivations, not so: Mars is too far away to have strategic significance.

> You fail to recognize this simple distinction because you are only
> a pathetic bean counter with no scientific soul.

The concept of a 'scientific soul' who can also manage money is beyond
Feeb's finite imagination.

-hh

Tyson Thompkins

Oct 5, 2022, 12:53:51 PM10/5/22
Is that Rex Ballard or vallor?

DFS

Oct 5, 2022, 1:57:31 PM10/5/22
Leah is its own thing.

Rex Ballard is now Debbie Lawrence, and he's still scaring the bejeesus
out of IBM clients when they meet him face to face.

vallor is a straight "real man" x2.

Relf

Oct 5, 2022, 2:21:52 PM10/5/22
> vallor is a straight "real man" x2.

"Vallor" is usually on his computer, seldom exercising.

DFS

Oct 15, 2022, 10:44:01 AM10/15/22
On 10/5/2022 2:21 PM, Relf wrote:
>> vallor is a straight "real man" x2.
>
> "Vallor" is usually on his computer, seldom exercising.

How about yourself? Walking any of those Seattle hills lately?

By the end of the year I plan on doing 6 laps of my street carrying
60lbs. Either 30lb dumbbells, or a weight vest and dumbbells.

Alvin P. Picker

Oct 15, 2022, 3:14:42 PM10/15/22
On Sat, 15 Oct 2022 10:43:57 -0400, DFS wrote:

> By the end of the year I plan on doing 6 laps of my street carrying
> 60lbs. Either 30lb dumbbells, or a weight vest and dumbbells.

What a fucking pussy!

A REAL MAN uses a stepper:

https://offerup.com/item/detail/3562081

Shwinn was bought by Nautilus and the price for this stepper
increased about 200%.

I burst one of the pistons and Nautilus sent me TWO replacement
pistons at NO CHARGE. I thought that I'd burst at least one more
but no. This thing keeps chugging like new.

The ultimate workout is stair climbing. Battling gravity is very strenuous,
and a stepper duplicates the effort perfectly.

You couldn't last 5 minutes on this thing but I just finished 20 (at number
8 on the piston dial).

The pistons are the "oil resitance" type, which are the same design
as used in railroad cars for massive shock absorption.

GNU/Linux men are in the best shape.

Microcrap users, like you, are fat and flabby.

rbowman

Oct 15, 2022, 4:15:38 PM10/15/22
On Sat, 15 Oct 2022 19:14:39 +0000, Alvin P. Picker wrote:

> he ultimate workout is stair climbing. Battling gravity is very
> strenuous,
> and a stepper duplicates the effort perfectly.

Who needs a stepper when you have mountains?

Alvin P. Picker

Oct 15, 2022, 6:25:28 PM10/15/22
On 15 Oct 2022 20:15:33 GMT, rbowman wrote:

> Who needs a stepper when you have mountains?

You got mountains you got low oxygen partial pressure.

When I inhale a lung full of fucking air, I want fucking
oxygen. The resultant "fire" empowers my muscles.

In the mountains every breath contains less O2.

All those fucking asshole dilettantes who try to climb
Mt. Everest need supplemental O2 or else they fall off
the fucking cliff.

I live near sea level because that's the only place
a rational GNU/Linux superman would live.

Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

DFS

Oct 15, 2022, 8:33:01 PM10/15/22
On 10/15/2022 3:14 PM, Alvin P. Picker wrote:
> On Sat, 15 Oct 2022 10:43:57 -0400, DFS wrote:
>

>> By the end of the year I plan on doing 6 laps of my street carrying
>> 60lbs. Either 30lb dumbbells, or a weight vest and dumbbells.
>>

> What a fucking pussy!

Next time you get near a hill and a set of 30s, see how long you can
carry them without stopping.

Do they even have hills in your shithole area? GA is superior in nearly
every way to MI, including in elevation change.

> A REAL MAN uses a stepper:
>
> https://offerup.com/item/detail/3562081

omg! That's for broke GuhNoo idiots who don't mind looking like they're
warming up for tomorrow's alphabet Pride parade.

Windows men OWN the real thing:
https://www.mountguys.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/Planet-Fitness-stair-stepper.jpg

But all that pales into comparison to walking up hills with weights.

> You couldn't last 5 minutes on this thing but I just finished 20 (at number
> 8 on the piston dial).

At Planet Fitness I used to do the elliptical for 30 minutes nonstop:

* level 1 warmup for 5 minutes
* increase the difficulty by 1 every minute for the next
20 minutes but trying to maintain 6mph
* back down to level 1 for 5 minute warmdown

> GNU/Linux men are in the best shape.

GuhNoo "men" are physically weak, with hairless sunken chests,
potbellies, wispy beards, scrawny physiques, and high-pitched voices.
Some Linux mag once showed just the bare legs of all the writers - I
thought they were high-school girls who hadn't shaved in a week.

> Microcrap users, like you, are fat and flabby.

Like your employer, family, friends and the black coke hookers you party
with.

DFS

Oct 15, 2022, 8:37:55 PM10/15/22
+1

"Most geologists classify a mountain as a landform that rises at least
1,000 feet (300 meters) or more above its surrounding area."

Not sure how our local Stone Mtn - really a large granite pebble with an
elevation chg of 825' above the surrounding area - qualifies as a
mountain, but it's something.

%

Oct 15, 2022, 9:32:38 PM10/15/22
i win the elevation i'm in the north rockies

rbowman

Oct 15, 2022, 10:23:57 PM10/15/22
On Sat, 15 Oct 2022 20:33:00 -0400, DFS wrote:

> On 10/15/2022 3:14 PM, Alvin P. Picker wrote:
>> On Sat, 15 Oct 2022 10:43:57 -0400, DFS wrote:
>>

>>> By the end of the year I plan on doing 6 laps of my street carrying
>>> 60lbs. Either 30lb dumbbells, or a weight vest and dumbbells.
>>>

>> What a fucking pussy!
>
> Next time you get near a hill and a set of 30s, see how long you can
> carry them without stopping.
>
> Do they even have hills in your shithole area? GA is superior in nearly
> every way to MI, including in elevation change.
>

>> A REAL MAN uses a stepper:
>>
>> https://offerup.com/item/detail/3562081
>
> omg! That's for broke GuhNoo idiots who don't mind looking like they're
> warming up for tomorrow's alphabet Pride parade.
>
> Windows men OWN the real thing:
> https://www.mountguys.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/Planet-Fitness-
stair-stepper.jpg

I just rent one at $10 a month. Includes showers and many other torture
gadgets.

https://web.archive.org/web/20090510203514/http://www.fs.fed.us/r1/lolo/
recreation-brochures/rattlesnake-nra.pdf

Today I stitched together a little walk along 24.2, 24.1, 24.4, and 24.5
for about a 7 mile walk in the woods.

https://www.google.com/maps/search/rattlesnake+national+recreation+area/
@46.9832006,-113.8913647,14z/data=!5m1!1e4

There is a hill or two involved.

rbowman

Oct 15, 2022, 10:26:09 PM10/15/22
On Sat, 15 Oct 2022 18:32:25 -0700, % wrote:

> i win the elevation i'm in the north rockies

Maybe...

rbowman

Oct 15, 2022, 10:30:55 PM10/15/22
On Sat, 15 Oct 2022 22:25:24 +0000, Alvin P. Picker wrote:

> I live near sea level because that's the only place a rational GNU/Linux
> superman would live.

You would be gasping like a dying fish walking around the block here.

Relf

Oct 15, 2022, 11:00:27 PM10/15/22
gnu_rocks:
> When I inhale a lung full of air, I want oxygen.
> The resultant "fire" empowers my muscles.

Oxygen(ation) is known to the state of California to cause cancer.

rbowman

Oct 15, 2022, 11:02:52 PM10/15/22
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Sentinel

That's one of our little training mountains. It's actually on the UM
campus. Actually, it's a speed bump on the way to University Mountain. At
5810' that's the high point of the ridge.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Jumbo

That's on the north side of the canyon and is a little lower. The 'L' on
that one is for Loyola, the Catholic high school. It used to be
whitewashed rock but somehow the rocks would get rearranged to spell
something other than L so it's now concreted.

I walked up Stone Mtn. years ago. What impressed me was the really old
graffiti carved in the stone along the trail. Taggers were a lot more
industrious a couple of hundred years ago. Technically, it's mostly
quartz monzonite, not granite.

I forget when I was there, probably the early '80s, well before the woke
assholes were advancing their agenda of rewriting US history.

Relf

Oct 15, 2022, 11:19:31 PM10/15/22
NeoScotsman:
> Today I stitched together a little walk along
> 24.2, 24.1, 24.4, and 24.5 for about a 7 mile walk in the woods.
> https://www.google.com/maps/search/rattlesnake+national+recreation+area/@46.9832006,-113.8913647,14z/data=!5m1!1e4
> There is a hill or two involved.

See any fly fisherman ?

rbowman

Oct 16, 2022, 2:54:59 AM10/16/22
Nary a one. Trout sort of like water and there is none on that route.
Rattlesnake Creek is catch and release but I've never seen anyone fishing
it.

The ones I wonder about are those standing in the middle of the Clark Fork
in January. I also wonder about the herons standing on the ice too. The
osprey left for California a few weeks ago.

Relf

Oct 16, 2022, 3:18:40 AM10/16/22
NeoScotsman:
> Rattlesnake Creek is catch and release but I've never seen anyone fishing it.
> The ones I wonder about are those standing in the middle of the Clark Fork
> in January. I also wonder about the herons standing on the ice too.
> The osprey left for California a few weeks ago.

The University of Washington has plenty of (loud/wild) herons, turtles & beavers.
In the fall, I saw massive salmon spawning in a special (research) pond.

I've also seen deer, foxes, raccoon families, & opossums there.
Only on campus could one see a "herd" of stray cats.

chrisv

Oct 16, 2022, 10:06:47 AM10/16/22
rbowman wrote:

>Today I stitched together a little walk along 24.2, 24.1, 24.4, and 24.5
>for about a 7 mile walk in the woods.

I just got in from a 6 mile jog. Just under an hour, at my old man's
training pace.

At race pace (for a 10k) I can do 8-minute miles.

chrisv

Oct 16, 2022, 10:08:31 AM10/16/22

%

Oct 16, 2022, 10:38:05 AM10/16/22
who cares how far a guy can walk

%

Oct 16, 2022, 10:38:42 AM10/16/22
youtube or lie

chrisv

Oct 16, 2022, 11:24:32 AM10/16/22
Walking is 15-20 minutes per mile.

%

Oct 16, 2022, 11:33:51 AM10/16/22
but who cares like so what you can walk big deal

rbowman

Oct 16, 2022, 2:21:23 PM10/16/22
On Sun, 16 Oct 2022 00:18:35 -0700 (Seattle), Relf wrote:

> I've also seen deer, foxes, raccoon families, & opossums there.
> Only on campus could one see a "herd" of stray cats.

Sounds like my yard, except for the foxes and possums. I see a fox every
now and then but they're in competition with the coyotes. Opossums tend to
freeze off body parts around here. Skunks are doing well. The cats don't
travel in herds. There are plenty of them but they don't get along with
each other too well.

rbowman

Oct 16, 2022, 2:32:02 PM10/16/22
I never cared much for jogging. otoh I'm staring at 75 and my knees still
are OEM. There are quite a few Blackfeet around here with names that
describe my style.

https://www.legacy.com/us/obituaries/missoulian/name/sundance-heavyrunner-
obituary?id=33278028

Relf

Oct 17, 2022, 1:58:46 AM10/17/22
NeoScotsman:
> Legacy.COM/us/obituaries/missoulian/name/sundance-heavyrunner-obituary?id=33278028

Oxygen(ation) is known to the state of California to cause cancer (jk);
& no one may challenge state "facts".

> I'm staring at 75 and my knees still are OEM.

Where were you born ( early 1948 ) ?

> There are Blackfeet around here with names that describe my style.

Turns out, you _can_ sell ice to Eskimos;
they _need_ it to pack the halibut & cod they sell ( 8 $/lb ).

// Dictators subsidize the military industrial complex;
// Ukraine is just collateral damage.
// Dictators subsidize BigPharma & BigTech, including Bill Gates & Jeff Bezos;
// "adverse effects" are merely collateral damage.

chrisv

Oct 17, 2022, 8:02:20 AM10/17/22
rbowman wrote:

> chrisv wrote:
>>
>> I just got in from a 6 mile jog. Just under an hour, at my old man's
>> training pace.
>>
>> At race pace (for a 10k) I can do 8-minute miles.
>
>I never cared much for jogging. otoh I'm staring at 75 and my knees still
>are OEM. There are quite a few Blackfeet around here with names that
>describe my style.

"Knee management" is definitely an issue. It's taken me years to
(knock on wood) learn how to it correctly. Shoes, technique,
stretching and, in my case, regularly snapping my knees into
"alignment". I'm also very thin/light, probably the skinniest old guy
that you'll see in a day.

I'm motivated to run, though. I don't know of any other way that I
could get the full-body workout that I want.

At least, no other way that I could tolerate. A nice thing about
(outdoor) running is that once I'm out the door I'm kind of on
autopilot with my planned route. No clock-watching.

Dkjgkgjhsvb

Oct 17, 2022, 9:17:24 AM10/17/22
On Mon, 17 Oct 2022 07:02:18 -0500, chrisv wrote:

> I'm motivated to run, though. I don't know of any other way that I
> could get the full-body workout that I want.

What do you do when it's -15F and knee-deep snow with ice?

That's make up about half the year.

The other half is +95F at noon with +80F at 4 am.

What do you do when it's raining?

The best way is to use indoor machines like treadmills, etc.,
and that's in your own home and not at some stupid gym.

-hh

Oct 17, 2022, 12:11:18 PM10/17/22
On Monday, October 17, 2022 at 9:17:24 AM UTC-4, Dkjgkgjhsvb wrote:
> On Mon, 17 Oct 2022 07:02:18 -0500, chrisv wrote:
> >
> > I'm motivated to run, though. I don't know of any other way that I
> > could get the full-body workout that I want.
>
> What do you do when it's -15F and knee-deep snow with ice?

Get one’s cardio by shoveling. Necessarily, since the roads won’t be
safe to drive to the gym.

> That's make up about half the year.
> The other half is +95F at noon with +80F at 4 am.

Oh really? Which is where, precisely?

> What do you do when it's raining?

Indoor track, possibly. Depends on if one is a gym member and
their facilities.

> The best way is to use indoor machines like treadmills, etc.,
> and that's in your own home and not at some stupid gym.

Which isn’t actually the same, plus has a fiscal cost. YMMV on
the pros/cons of owning vs using a gym, but if one owns, there’s
not only the purchase cost, but also cost of the space claim for
its setup, plus you’re it’s maintenance & repair man.

YMMV, but I found that I can pay gym dues at my workplace for 5 years
for just the cost of a treadmill equivalent to the ones that they have,
which notionally makes all of the Nautilus & other gear “free”.

-hh

rbowman

Oct 17, 2022, 1:05:32 PM10/17/22
On Mon, 17 Oct 2022 07:02:18 -0500, chrisv wrote:

> "Knee management" is definitely an issue. It's taken me years to (knock
> on wood) learn how to it correctly. Shoes, technique, stretching and,
> in my case, regularly snapping my knees into "alignment". I'm also very
> thin/light, probably the skinniest old guy that you'll see in a day.

I come from basic German peasant stock; nothing gracile here.

Dkjgkgjhsvb

Oct 17, 2022, 1:47:23 PM10/17/22
On Mon, 17 Oct 2022 09:11:15 -0700, -hh wrote:

>> That's make up about half the year.
>> The other half is +95F at noon with +80F at 4 am.
>
> Oh really? Which is where, precisely?

Everywhere north of Mason-Dixon.

> Which isn’t actually the same, plus has a fiscal cost. YMMV on
> the pros/cons of owning vs using a gym, but if one owns, there’s
> not only the purchase cost, but also cost of the space claim for
> its setup, plus you’re it’s maintenance & repair man.

Is a gym open at 11 pm or 4 am? What if the mood for a workout
strikes you at those hours?

One must also drive to the gym and that requires fuel, wear and
tear, and above all TIME.

For me, TIME is far more precious than money, and a one hour
workout at the gym would entail at least two hours of TIME.

Good quality exercise machines require either no or extremely
rare maintenance. The only exception is a treadmill which needs
to be lubricated with silicone at regular intervals.

The bearings, that is the races, on my stationary bike cracked
after many years of service, but I just ordered two new ones,
then popped the old and pressed in the new.

Regarding space, that's what basements and/or garages are for.
But anyone who is truly interested in fitness would totally
accept an elliptic or bike next to the kitchen table. Exercise
machines are, or should be, an integral part of everyones domestile,
equally, if not more, important than a refrgerator.

chrisv

Oct 17, 2022, 5:50:43 PM10/17/22
Dkjgkgjhsvb wrote:

> chrisv wrote:
>>
>> I'm motivated to run, though. I don't know of any other way that I
>> could get the full-body workout that I want.
>
>What do you do when it's -15F and knee-deep snow with ice?
>That's make up about half the year.
>The other half is +95F at noon with +80F at 4 am.
>What do you do when it's raining?

In the Summer heat, I go first thing in the morning. It's rarely
warmer than 70F, and even 80F and humid is tolerable, if the Sun isn't
beating on me.

In the Winter months, I join a gym with a running track. But even
then I often manage to run outdoors, by going in the afternoon. Cold
can be dressed for, with wind-chill on the face being the limiting
factor. Snow-covered roads are also not good.

I can usually work-around rain and other particularly crappy weather.
If one day looks bad will I go twice in a row so that I can skip the
bad day. I'm always watching the weather forecasts, planning days in
advance.

On average, I run four times a week. 18-20 miles.

>The best way is to use indoor machines like treadmills, etc.,
>and that's in your own home and not at some stupid gym.

I actually do own a treadmill. It's used only as a last resort, if
the roads are so bad that I don't want to drive.

chrisv

Oct 17, 2022, 5:51:24 PM10/17/22
I'm German too...

%

Oct 17, 2022, 6:29:35 PM10/17/22
deleted

%

Oct 17, 2022, 6:29:49 PM10/17/22
unread

Alvin P. Picker

Oct 17, 2022, 6:44:29 PM10/17/22
On Mon, 17 Oct 2022 16:50:42 -0500, chrisv wrote:

> Cold
> can be dressed for, with wind-chill on the face being the limiting
> factor.

Sure. One can properly dress, but heavily breathing deeply cold air
(below 32F) is not a thrilling experience. It all goes straight into
the lungs with no modification. Breathing very cold air can be
dangerous even for healthy people. Very cold air is necessarily very
dry and it can cause bleeding.

I'll say it again. The best setup is to invest in exercise machines.

The US Military has established PT mandates that can be fulfilled
with exercise machines. There is no excuse.

-hh

Oct 17, 2022, 7:06:55 PM10/17/22
On Monday, October 17, 2022 at 1:47:23 PM UTC-4, Dkjgkgjhsvb wrote:
> On Mon, 17 Oct 2022 09:11:15 -0700, -hh wrote:
> >> [What do you do when it's -15F ...]
> >
> >> That's make up about half the year.
> >> The other half is +95F at noon with +80F at 4 am.
> >
> > Oh really? Which is where, precisely?
> >
> Everywhere north of Mason-Dixon.

LOL, nope!

<https://weatherspark.com/y/22721/Average-Weather-in-Philadelphia-Pennsylvania-United-States-Year-Round>
<https://weatherspark.com/y/14091/Average-Weather-in-Chicago-Illinois-United-States-Year-Round>
<https://weatherspark.com/y/24883/Average-Weather-in-Albany-New-York-United-States-Year-Round>
<https://weatherspark.com/y/26197/Average-Weather-in-Boston-Massachusetts-United-States-Year-Round>

> > Which isn’t actually the same, plus has a fiscal cost. YMMV on
> > the pros/cons of owning vs using a gym, but if one owns, there’s
> > not only the purchase cost, but also cost of the space claim for
> > its setup, plus you’re it’s maintenance & repair man.
>
> Is a gym open at 11 pm or 4 am? What if the mood for a workout
> strikes you at those hours?

Better than that: its 24/7.

> One must also drive to the gym and that requires fuel, wear
> and tear, and above all TIME.
>
> For me, TIME is far more precious than money, and a one hour
> workout at the gym would entail at least two hours of TIME.

Except that having a deliberate routine make it harder to skip, or slack.
For driving, just combine it with other existing chores/errands.

> Good quality exercise machines require either no or extremely
> rare maintenance.

Which cost even more.

> The only exception is a treadmill which needs to be lubricated
> with silicone at regular intervals.

Which is what we were initially talking of.

> The bearings, that is the races, on my stationary bike cracked
> after many years of service, but I just ordered two new ones,
> then popped the old and pressed in the new.

Not zero cost, not zero time for labor.

> Regarding space, that's what basements and/or garages are for.

If there is a basement ... and FYI, garages are for automobiles.

> But anyone who is truly interested in fitness would totally
> accept an elliptic or bike next to the kitchen table.

A row of each, plus ample resources for strength training.

> Exercise machines are, or should be, an integral part of everyones
> domestile, equally, if not more, important than a refrgerator.

Depends on one's vocation, and having to deliberately invest free time
just to exercise is part of the trade-off of having a vocation which
effectively requires physical inactivity, to sit at a keyboard all day.

-hh

rbowman

Oct 17, 2022, 7:22:05 PM10/17/22
On Mon, 17 Oct 2022 17:47:20 +0000, Dkjgkgjhsvb wrote:

> Is a gym open at 11 pm or 4 am? What if the mood for a workout strikes
> you at those hours?

Monday: 24 hrs
Tuesday: 24 hrs
Wednesday: 24 hrs
Thursday: 24 hrs
Friday: 12:00am - 9:00pm
Saturday: 7:00am - 7:00pm
Sunday: 7:00am - 7:00pm

Prior to Planet Fitness I belonged to a gym with a key-coded door so I
could go at anytime. It was convenient for after work but the mood never
struck my for a 4 am workout in over 20 years.

> One must also drive to the gym and that requires fuel, wear and tear,
> and above all TIME.

Another disadvantage to that gym was being across town. PF is one block
from where I work so if I want a break I can walk over. It's also on the
western perimeter of town so if I'm going to town for any reason I'll go
by it.

If I chose not to go to town I can thoroughly wreck myself with any number
of body weight exercises that requires little or no special apparatus. I
do have a magnetic bike trainer stand that I think I paid around $50 for.

chrisv

Oct 17, 2022, 8:20:37 PM10/17/22
Alvin P. Picker wrote:

> chrisv wrote:
>>
>> Cold
>> can be dressed for, with wind-chill on the face being the limiting
>> factor.
>
>Sure. One can properly dress, but heavily breathing deeply cold air
>(below 32F) is not a thrilling experience. It all goes straight into
>the lungs with no modification. Breathing very cold air can be
>dangerous even for healthy people. Very cold air is necessarily very
>dry and it can cause bleeding.

Tell it all those Canadian hockey players. 8)

Seriously, "below 32F" is not "deeply cold". Below 0F is "deeply
cold". Like I said, the wind chill on the face is what first becomes
intolerable to me, and, I suspect, most people. This becomes a real
problem around 10F in calm winds and around 20F in breezy conditions.

>I'll say it again. The best setup is to invest in exercise machines.

I greatly prefer running outdoors, and I'm able to do that probably
90% of the time.

>The US Military has established PT mandates that can be fulfilled
>with exercise machines.

They are becoming pussified.

>There is no excuse.

... to not run outdoors, most of the time.

%

Oct 17, 2022, 9:38:53 PM10/17/22
ignored

Alvin P. Picker

Oct 18, 2022, 5:30:21 AM10/18/22
On Mon, 17 Oct 2022 16:06:52 -0700 (PDT), -hh wrote:

> Not zero cost, not zero time for labor.

Do you have a washing machine or do you transport your
clothes to a laundromat?

Do you have a stove or do you use the communal kitchen
facilities in your building?

Do you have a toilet or do you frequent the public
out house?

Modern living includes exercise machines.

rbowman

Oct 18, 2022, 11:28:48 AM10/18/22
On Tue, 18 Oct 2022 09:30:17 +0000, Alvin P. Picker wrote:

> On Mon, 17 Oct 2022 16:06:52 -0700 (PDT), -hh wrote:
>

>> Not zero cost, not zero time for labor.
>>

> Do you have a washing machine or do you transport your clothes to a
> laundromat?

Matter of fact...

> Modern living includes exercise machines.

Most of which sit unused gathering dust until they wind up on craigslist.
They're a feel-good solution like buying books that go unread while hoping
the information makes it between your ears by osmosis.

Gym memberships are the same. Every January the gym is crowded. By March
it's the same old crowd again.

-hh

Oct 18, 2022, 12:43:00 PM10/18/22
On Tuesday, October 18, 2022 at 5:30:21 AM UTC-4, Alvin P. Picker wrote:
> On Mon, 17 Oct 2022 16:06:52 -0700 (PDT), -hh wrote:
> >
> > Not zero cost, not zero time for labor.
> >
> Do you have a washing machine or do you transport your
> clothes to a laundromat?
>
> Do you have a stove or do you use the communal kitchen
> facilities in your building?
>
> Do you have a toilet or do you frequent the public
> outhouse?

Depends on where I’m living. Sometimes it’s worthwhile to incur
the additional expenses, sometimes not.

> Modern living includes exercise machines.

No, sedentary living is what drives needing a more formal exercise plan.
Doesn’t need to be so hardware-heavy like you’re claiming: chrisv shows
that running can be just sneakers & clothing. Similarly, getting out of the
car and onto mass transit systems = walking more in one’s daily routine,
which is why western Europeans aren’t as fat/obese as Americans are.

-hh

chrisv

Oct 18, 2022, 4:58:56 PM10/18/22
rbowman wrote:

> Alvin P. Picker wrote:
>>
>> Modern living includes exercise machines.
>
>Most of which sit unused gathering dust until they wind up on craigslist.

Yes, but also means that used ones with low miles can be bought
cheaply.

The treadmill in my house, we bought for my daughter. Knowing what
would happen, I resisted, but eventually caved in. She's since moved
out and now I've got a treadmill. It is nice to have, on those
(mostly Winter) days that are just too crappy to leave the house, and
I think we paid like $75 for it.

>Gym memberships are the same. Every January the gym is crowded. By March
>it's the same old crowd again.

I've never understood the "pack on a few pounds during the holidays"
thing. To my way of thinking, every pound gained in the Fall needs to
be lost in the Spring. It really is best to not put them on in the
first place. Dieting sucks and is usually doomed to fail.

DFS

Oct 21, 2022, 1:52:09 PM10/21/22
On 10/17/2022 1:47 PM, Larry 'Big Words' Piet wrote:

> domestile

It's domicile.

Quit misusing your $5 words, bozo.

%

Oct 21, 2022, 1:56:13 PM10/21/22
but vallor is a great usenetter

DFS

Oct 21, 2022, 1:59:57 PM10/21/22
On 10/17/2022 1:47 PM, Larry 'lying braggart' Piet wrote:

> One must also drive to the gym and that requires fuel, wear and
> tear, and above all TIME.

gtfo... like you have anything better to do.

Lack of TIME isn't stopping you from implementing "AI for ImageMagick"
or "netpbm formats for GIMP"; it's lack of programming talent that stops
them from getting done.

vallor

Oct 21, 2022, 4:15:11 PM10/21/22
That's so nice of you to say! You're a great
usenetter, too!

But I'm not great, I'm just average.

--
-v

%

Oct 21, 2022, 4:18:09 PM10/21/22
the only part i said in this post is vallor is a great usenetter
anything else was said by an imposter

%

Oct 21, 2022, 4:20:03 PM10/21/22
you just need more recognition

chrisv

Oct 21, 2022, 5:55:37 PM10/21/22
vallor wrote:

>On Fri, 21 Oct 2022 10:56:05 -0700, % wrote:
>>
>> but vallor is a great usenetter
>
>That's so nice of you to say! You're a great
>usenetter, too!

You must be joking.

Skeeter

Oct 21, 2022, 6:44:28 PM10/21/22
In article <l956lh9lmef8dji38...@4ax.com>,
chr...@nospam.invalid says...
<deleted unread>

TRAITOR JOE'S BIDEN BALONEY

Oct 21, 2022, 6:47:28 PM10/21/22
Caution! Always wear ANSI approved goggles when reading posts by Checkmate!

On 21 Oct 2022 20:15:06 GMT, vallor put forth the notion that:
#
You're too modest... you have TWO Checkys (tm).

--
Checkmate ®
Copyright © 2022

https://youtu.be/wT-8Dm1VThc

Footloose! https://youtu.be/mXfVaXjBFK4

Kensi, "doing a little victory dance"
https://youtu.be/obInNk448nI
kensi." -Nadegda

Author, Humorist, Cynic
Philosopher, Humanitarian
Poet, Elektrishun to the Stars
Usenet Shot-Caller

In loving memory of The Battle Kitten
May 2010-February 12, 2017

TRAITOR JOE'S BIDEN BALONEY

Oct 21, 2022, 6:48:49 PM10/21/22
Caution! Always wear ANSI approved goggles when reading posts by Checkmate!

On Fri, 21 Oct 2022 16:55:36 -0500, chrisv put forth the notion that:
#

Are you lost again?

Sn!pe

Oct 21, 2022, 7:33:19 PM10/21/22
TRAITOR JOE'S BIDEN BALONEY <Bu...@Schitt.corn> wrote:

> chrisv put forth the notion that:
> #
>

> > vallor wrote:

> > >That's so nice of you to say! You're a great
> > >usenetter, too!
> >
> > You must be joking.
>
> Are you lost again?

Mr deleted unread is only here because vallor xpoasted COLA into AC.
Somebody is an agent provocateur... (that's posh for "shit-stirrer")

--
^Ï^. My pet rock Gordon just is.

~ Slava Ukraini ~

%

Oct 21, 2022, 7:49:28 PM10/21/22
Sn!pe wrote:
> TRAITOR JOE'S BIDEN BALONEY <Bu...@Schitt.corn> wrote:
>
>> chrisv put forth the notion that:
>> #

>>> You must be joking.
>>
>> Are you lost again?
>
> Mr deleted unread is only here because vallor xpoasted COLA into AC.
> Somebody is an agent provocateur... (that's posh for "shit-stirrer")

i hope its me

DFS

Oct 21, 2022, 10:27:45 PM10/21/22
On 16 Oct 2022 02:23:53 GMT, rbowman <bow...@montana.com> wrote:

> Today I stitched together a little walk along 24.2, 24.1, 24.4, and 24.5
> for about a 7 mile walk in the woods.
>
> https://www.google.com/maps/search/rattlesnake+national+recreation+area/
> @46.9832006,-113.8913647,14z/data=!5m1!1e4
>
> There is a hill or two involved.

7 miles w/ mtn hills? Nice.

Meant to give you props for this, especially at 75.

rbowman

Oct 21, 2022, 11:01:59 PM10/21/22
Ain't dead yet. You can give the surgeon who installed the gamma nail in
my leg in January props too. When I was a kid my grandmother broke her hip
and they might as well have shot her. It took about three months before I
was tackling rough terrain. Getting on and off a bicycle or motorcycle
isn't the most graceful act but I get it done. Swinging my leg over is a
little more conscious activity.

TRAITOR JOE'S BIDEN BALONEY

Oct 21, 2022, 11:20:52 PM10/21/22
Caution! Always wear ANSI approved goggles when reading posts by Checkmate!

On Sat, 22 Oct 2022 00:40:53 +0100, Sn!pe put forth the notion that:
#

> TRAITOR JOE'S BIDEN BALONEY <Bu...@Schitt.corn> wrote:
>
> > chrisv put forth the notion that:
> > #

> > > You must be joking.
> >
> > Are you lost again?
>
> Mr deleted unread is only here because vallor xpoasted COLA into AC.
> Somebody is an agent provocateur... (that's posh for "shit-stirrer")

I find it incredulous and shocking to think that someone from AC would
deliberately do that... on porpoise!

I hope that chrisv will delete this unread... we deserve it.

chrisv

Oct 22, 2022, 11:35:02 AM10/22/22
TRAITOR JOE'S BIDEN BALONEY wrote:

> Sn!pe wrote:
>>
>> Mr deleted unread is only here because vallor xpoasted COLA into AC.
>> Somebody is an agent provocateur... (that's posh for "shit-stirrer")
>
>I find it incredulous and shocking to think that someone from AC would
>deliberately do that... on porpoise!

vallor is "from" AC? I thought that COLA was his primary group. He
is a Linux guy.

>I hope that chrisv will delete this unread... we deserve it.

Nah, not as long as you behave reasonably.

Hey, why did none of you right-wingers tell me about Matt Walsh?

DFS

Oct 22, 2022, 11:53:51 AM10/22/22
Don't underestimate yourself, Bloaty. You're at least 2x the average.

Creon

Oct 22, 2022, 12:34:39 PM10/22/22
In <1q07b12.pvtcow1c2cy1iN%snip...@gmail.com>, snip...@gmail.com
(Sn!pe) wrote:

> TRAITOR JOE'S BIDEN BALONEY <Bu...@Schitt.corn> wrote:
>
>> chrisv put forth the notion that:
>> #

>> > You must be joking.
>>
>> Are you lost again?
>
> Mr deleted unread is only here because vallor xpoasted COLA into AC.
> Somebody is an agent provocateur... (that's posh for "shit-stirrer")

It was the handiest way I could think of to get %'s
comment "on the record" in alt.checkmate.

Now % can explain how they aren't a hypocrite.

--
-Creon

vallor

Oct 22, 2022, 12:51:05 PM10/22/22
On Sat, 22 Oct 2022 10:35:02 -0500, chrisv wrote:

> TRAITOR JOE'S BIDEN BALONEY wrote:
>
>> Sn!pe wrote:
>>>
>>> Mr deleted unread is only here because vallor xpoasted COLA into AC.
>>> Somebody is an agent provocateur... (that's posh for "shit-stirrer")
>>
>>I find it incredulous and shocking to think that someone from AC would
>>deliberately do that... on porpoise!
>
> vallor is "from" AC? I thought that COLA was his primary group. He is
> a Linux guy.

I am a Linux guy.

(But not like Feeb. Sheesh.)

>>I hope that chrisv will delete this unread... we deserve it.
>
> Nah, not as long as you behave reasonably.
>
> Hey, why did none of you right-wingers tell me about Matt Walsh?

Who?

--
-v

vallor

Oct 22, 2022, 1:36:49 PM10/22/22
Now what on Earth would make you say that? ;)

--
-v

rbowman

Oct 22, 2022, 2:11:57 PM10/22/22
On Sat, 22 Oct 2022 10:35:02 -0500, chrisv wrote:

> Hey, why did none of you right-wingers tell me about Matt Walsh?

The best selling LGBTQ+ book on Amazon? Well, until they figured out
'Johnny the Walrus' was about a little boy who identifies as a walrus and
the usual suspects got butt hurt.

The man knows how to push buttons.

%

Oct 22, 2022, 3:23:06 PM10/22/22
too bad i didn't make one

Alvin P. Picker

Oct 22, 2022, 3:27:06 PM10/22/22
On 22 Oct 2022 16:51:01 GMT, vallor wrote:

> I am a Linux guy.

You ain't no fuckin' Linux "guy."

GNU/Linux does not want you. GNU/Linux demands competent and
dedicated individuals who live, eat, and breath Linux.

That ain't you.

You just want a freebie in the name of Ubuntu/Mint.

GTFO, freeloading parasite.

TRAITOR JOE'S BIDEN BALONEY

Oct 22, 2022, 4:44:13 PM10/22/22
Caution! Always wear ANSI approved goggles when reading posts by Checkmate!

On Sat, 22 Oct 2022 10:35:02 -0500, chrisv put forth the notion that:
#

I know nothing of Matt Walsh, tell me more!
It is loading more messages.