Linux hobbyware victim: "It's so tempting to go back to Windows where everything works fine."

DFS

Nov 23, 2023, 12:59:32 PM11/23/23

"The thing I dislike about Linux is that it is far too common to not
have proper drivers. The sound on my Linux Mint installation is so quiet
that I regularly have to use earphones. It's so tempting to go back to
Windows where everything works fine."

comment 3 days ago by
@anotheryoutubeuser

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6t8eeXlADY

Linux: hard of hearing
Windows: sounds great

Joel

Nov 23, 2023, 1:26:29 PM11/23/23
The majority of space used on my SSD is music. It's the only thing
I've really collected, from downloading, I used to pirate movies a
lot, but it's a forgotten thing, if I (rarely) want to watch one I'll
rent it or buy it. Using Realtek audio under Windows is better than
Linux, I can acknowledge, but there's nothing wrong with it under
Linux, it's just more ordinary 24 bit 192 KHz sound, it doesn't have
the presence of whatever Win10/11 does to it. I'm very discerning of
audio differences, and I can assure you, Linux just works with what
you have, if it's good gear, as is *standard* today, it'll sound
excellent under Linux.

--
Joel W. Crump

Chris Ahlstrom

Nov 25, 2023, 5:53:43 AM11/25/23
Joel wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:
I see DFS is still trolling for problem reports on Linux. Pretty obsessed with
Linux for a vaunted Windows lover! :-D

I'm running Arch on this Lenovo Flex and loving it. The MIDI setup on my other
old (10 years or so) laptop, running Ubuntu, is very nice, too.

Carry on.

--
Your supervisor is thinking about you.

RabidPedagog

Nov 25, 2023, 9:13:21 AM11/25/23
Are you identifying as a woman yet?

--
RabidPedagog
TG: @RabidPedagog

chrisv

Nov 25, 2023, 10:03:38 AM11/25/23
Chris Ahlstrom wrote:

>I see DFS is still trolling for problem reports on Linux. Pretty obsessed with
>Linux for a vaunted Windows lover! :-D

Yeah, that dumb fsck is as big a lying idiot loser as ever. Some
snits never grow up.

>I'm running Arch on this Lenovo Flex and loving it. The MIDI setup on my other
>old (10 years or so) laptop, running Ubuntu, is very nice, too.
>
>Carry on.

Good to see you, Chris.

--
"You think any self-respecting CTO or CIO would be caught dead with a
Linux crapware distro on their desktop? Hell no!" - some dumb fsck

DFS

Nov 25, 2023, 10:11:55 PM11/25/23
On 11/25/2023 5:53 AM, Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
> Joel wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:
>
>> DFS <nos...@dfs.com> wrote:
>>
>>> "The thing I dislike about Linux is that it is far too common to not
>>> have proper drivers. The sound on my Linux Mint installation is so quiet
>>> that I regularly have to use earphones. It's so tempting to go back to
>>> Windows where everything works fine."
>>>
>>> comment 3 days ago by
>>> @anotheryoutubeuser
>>>
>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6t8eeXlADY
>>>
>>> Linux: hard of hearing
>>> Windows: sounds great
>>
>> The majority of space used on my SSD is music. It's the only thing
>> I've really collected, from downloading, I used to pirate movies a
>> lot, but it's a forgotten thing, if I (rarely) want to watch one I'll
>> rent it or buy it. Using Realtek audio under Windows is better than
>> Linux, I can acknowledge, but there's nothing wrong with it under
>> Linux, it's just more ordinary 24 bit 192 KHz sound, it doesn't have
>> the presence of whatever Win10/11 does to it. I'm very discerning of
>> audio differences, and I can assure you, Linux just works with what
>> you have, if it's good gear, as is *standard* today, it'll sound
>> excellent under Linux.
>
> I see DFS is still trolling for problem reports on Linux. Pretty obsessed with
> Linux for a vaunted Windows lover! :-D

You might want to return to cola and share whipping boy duties with Joel
Crump. He gives as good as he gets, whereas you mostly just silently
absorbed endless abuse. Did you take it out on yourself later?

> I'm running Arch on this Lenovo Flex and loving it. The MIDI setup on my other
> old (10 years or so) laptop, running Ubuntu, is very nice, too.
>
> Carry on.

Remember when your wife beat your ass because you slung 'cunt' around on
cola? I do.

You're getting old, fella. Retired from your career-long Windows job yet?

DFS

Nov 26, 2023, 9:16:15 AM11/26/23
On 11/25/2023 9:13 AM, RabidPedagog wrote:
> On 2023-11-25 5:53 a.m., Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
>
> Are you identifying as a woman yet?

LOL!

Next best thing: he dressed as green-haired Megan Rapinoe for Halloween.
His wife was dressed as Lionel Messi - sadly, no fake beard was required.

-hh

Nov 26, 2023, 9:49:20 AM11/26/23
On Saturday, November 25, 2023 at 10:11:55 PM UTC-5, DFS wrote:
> On 11/25/2023 5:53 AM, Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
> > …
> > I see DFS is still trolling for problem reports on Linux. Pretty obsessed
> > with Linux for a vaunted Windows lover! :-D
> …
> You're getting old, fella.

We all are.

> Retired from your career-long Windows job yet?

His July statement was “I'm getting near retirment time,…”

Which was followed by a complaint about Microsoft. Obsessed much? /s
Sure, corporate offices do extensively use Windows, and now also Teams,
and there’s always going to be some aspects of “awful” from a user perspective
(especially from old dogs) as well as from an IT perspective.. along with good
points too: there’s no free lunch, for some interests will invariably be in conflict
(e.g. freedom vs security). Some will choose to apply corporate perspectives &
solutions for their home IT, others won’t. Comes down to resources & priorities.

-hh

Chris Ahlstrom

Nov 26, 2023, 11:09:13 AM11/26/23
RabidPedagog wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:

> Are you identifying as a woman yet?

Were you typing that while sitting on the crapper? Go collect your prize:

--
You will be awarded the Nobel Peace Prize... posthumously.

RabidPedagog

Nov 26, 2023, 8:08:16 PM11/26/23
The sad part here is that Megan Rapinoe's got bigger balls than Chris
Ahlstrom does and looks a lot more like a man.

--
RabidPedagog
TG: @RabidPedagog

RabidPedagog

Nov 26, 2023, 8:15:01 PM11/26/23
On 2023-11-26 11:09 a.m., Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
> RabidPedagog wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:
>
>> Are you identifying as a woman yet?
>
> Were you typing that while sitting on the crapper? Go collect your prize:

Since that attempt at a comeback was pathetic and women are not known to
be funny, it looks like your transition is already successful.

Chris Ahlstrom

Nov 27, 2023, 7:25:25 AM11/27/23
RabidPedagog wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:

> On 2023-11-26 9:16 a.m., DFS wrote:
>> On 11/25/2023 9:13 AM, RabidPedagog wrote:
>>> On 2023-11-25 5:53 a.m., Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
>>>
>>> Are you identifying as a woman yet?
>>
>> LOL!
>>
>> Next best thing: he dressed as green-haired Megan Rapinoe for Halloween.
>>  His wife was dressed as Lionel Messi - sadly, no fake beard was required.
>
> The sad part here is that Megan Rapinoe's got bigger balls than Chris
> Ahlstrom does and looks a lot more like a man.

Keep your day jobs, boys.

Or is this your day job? :-D

--
You will feel hungry again in another hour.

RabidPedagog

Nov 27, 2023, 11:47:49 AM11/27/23
With a sense of humour like yours, it's no wonder that your wife keeps
you locked in the basement playing Nintendo while she fucks the
neighbourhood nigger.

%

Nov 27, 2023, 12:15:13 PM11/27/23
RabidPedagog wrote:
> On 2023-11-27 7:25 a.m., Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
>> RabidPedagog wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:

>>> The sad part here is that Megan Rapinoe's got bigger balls than Chris
>>> Ahlstrom does and looks a lot more like a man.
>>
>> Keep your day jobs, boys.
>>
>> Or is this your day job?  :-D
>
> With a sense of humour like yours, it's no wonder that your wife keeps
> you locked in the basement playing Nintendo while she fucks the
> neighbourhood nigger.

lol

Nux Vomica

Nov 27, 2023, 4:17:26 PM11/27/23
On Sat, 25 Nov 2023 05:53:38 -0500, Chris Ahlstrom wrote:

> I see DFS is still trolling for problem reports on Linux. Pretty obsessed with
> Linux for a vaunted Windows lover! :-D

Ha, ha! You hit the nail right on the fucking head!

This guy is TRULY a demented idiot. He is nothing
more than a one-trick pony that was hired by corporate
dumb-bells to "program" their cockamamie spreadsheets
and dashboards. Based upon this piddly diddly "experience"
he actually believes that he is the ultimate authority
on issues of computer operating systems.

It would be hilariously funny if it were not so disgustingly
pathetic.

The truth is that this idiot would drop out of any
university computer science course within two days,
if not two hours. He is a total, complete, and ultimate
digital failure.

Yet he will continue to spew his worthless and empty
judgments about GNU/Linux until his dying day -- which
I can only hope is very soon.

GNU/Linux represents to him the unattainable world
that he could never enter (although his innate stupidity
prevents him from ever realizing this).

He should be castigated and reviled, but he is actually
a truly pathetic figure and ignorant of his own abysmal
stupidity.

I post this to allow Usenet denizens to be forewarned.

DFS

Nov 30, 2023, 7:34:59 AM11/30/23
On 11/27/2023 4:17 PM, Nux Vomica wrote:
> On Sat, 25 Nov 2023 05:53:38 -0500, Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
>

>> I see DFS is still trolling for problem reports on Linux. Pretty obsessed with
>> Linux for a vaunted Windows lover! :-D
>>

> Ha, ha! You hit the nail right on the fucking head!
>
> This guy is TRULY a demented idiot. He is nothing
> more than a one-trick pony that was hired by corporate
> dumb-bells to "program" their cockamamie spreadsheets

A spreadsheet was involved in every decision to hire then quickly fire
your underperforming ass.

> and dashboards.

The world runs on information. It has to be captured, granularized,
cleaned, summarized and professionally presented with as little effort
as possible on the user's part, preferably with click-n-drool GUIs.
They paid me to make that happen.

Contrary to what you ignorantly believe, not everyone is willing to or
should have to learn SQL and do their own data extraction.

> Based upon this piddly diddly "experience"
> he actually believes that he is the ultimate authority
> on issues of computer operating systems.

What are you babbling about?

> It would be hilariously funny if it were not so disgustingly
> pathetic.

Pathetic is baked into everything you do. You know that.

> The truth is that this idiot would drop out of any
> university computer science course within two days,
> if not two hours. He is a total, complete, and ultimate
> digital failure.

If your computing skillz were 1/2 what you claim they are, you wouldn't
have to:

1) come here and faux brag about being asked to make code contributions
to major FOSS projects (Gimp, ImageMagick), and lie to them that
you're too busy.

2) desperately and repeatedly lie that you're a:
- Perl guru
- C programmer extraordinaire
- Assembly language genius

You're NONE of those. You're a programming nincompoop.

Notice Smellzzzzz (Branimir) doesn't brag about his formidable
programming talent. Ever. He just owns it, and he schools you whenever
you open your piehole.

What's wrong with you? I don't understand lying braggarts like yourself
or Rex Ballard. Momma praised you too much? Or not enough?

Linux just seems to attract demented people. cola has seen more than
it's fair share of outlandish liars thru the years - one of the Linux
wackos here once claimed he could cover 220 miles in 8 hours... on a mtn
bike, on public streets.

> Yet he will continue to spew his worthless and empty
> judgments about GNU/Linux until his dying day -- which
> I can only hope is very soon.

If they're worthless, why do you get so upset and frustrated?

> GNU/Linux represents to him the unattainable world
> that he could never enter (although his innate stupidity
> prevents him from ever realizing this).

'unattainable'? You must mean those Linux jobs that are always out of
your reach.

You're delusional about that hobbyist dreck and the skill it takes to
install, run and maintain it.

I always get a chuckle when some GuhNoo program says "Installing 157 of
150 updates" or reporting 17,000,000 terabytes of memory is in use.

The kualitee is breathtaking.

> He should be castigated and reviled, but he is actually
> a truly pathetic figure and ignorant of his own abysmal
> stupidity.
>
> I post this to allow Usenet denizens to be forewarned.

pwned

candycanearter07

Nov 30, 2023, 10:15:07 AM11/30/23
On 11/30/23 06:34, DFS wrote:
<snip>
> Linux just seems to attract demented people.  cola has seen more than
> it's fair share of outlandish liars thru the years - one of the Linux
> wackos here once claimed he could cover 220 miles in 8 hours... on a mtn
> bike, on public streets.
<snip>

Maybe they had rocket boosters.

RonB

Nov 30, 2023, 11:00:26 AM11/30/23
On 2023-11-30, candycanearter07 <n...@thanks.net> wrote:
> On 11/30/23 06:34, DFS wrote:
><snip>
>> Linux just seems to attract demented people.  cola has seen more than
>> it's fair share of outlandish liars thru the years - one of the Linux
>> wackos here once claimed he could cover 220 miles in 8 hours... on a mtn
>> bike, on public streets.
><snip>
>
> Maybe they had rocket boosters.

Anytime anyone says something that DuFuS doesn't like they're instantly
"liars." So take what he says about COLA posters with a grain of salt.

--
"Evil preaches tolerance until it is dominant, then it tries to silence good."
-- Archbishop Charles J. Chaput

DFS

Nov 30, 2023, 7:09:47 PM11/30/23
On 11/30/2023 11:00 AM, RonB wrote:
> On 2023-11-30, candycanearter07 <n...@thanks.net> wrote:
>> On 11/30/23 06:34, DFS wrote:
>> <snip>
>>> Linux just seems to attract demented people.  cola has seen more than
>>> it's fair share of outlandish liars thru the years - one of the Linux
>>> wackos here once claimed he could cover 220 miles in 8 hours... on a mtn
>>> bike, on public streets.
>> <snip>
>>
>> Maybe they had rocket boosters.
>
> Anytime anyone says something that DuFuS doesn't like they're instantly
> "liars." So take what he says about COLA posters with a grain of salt.

When they say something untrue - such as your stupid lie about Windows
requiring multiple reboots to install applications - they're instantly
liars.

rbowman

Nov 30, 2023, 8:59:48 PM11/30/23
On Thu, 30 Nov 2023 07:34:54 -0500, DFS wrote:

> Contrary to what you ignorantly believe, not everyone is willing to or
> should have to learn SQL and do their own data extraction.

I never looked for a Linux equivalent but I'll admit Microsoft Power BI is
the one tool I'd consider letting a middle management type use to create
his own click'n'drool graphics. I was impressed.

It's more than SQL though. Even before that point you need to figure out
what you want to see and what data is needed to get the result. In other
words, analysis needs an analytic mind and they are in short supply as far
as I can tell. Without that knowing the nuances of a left outer join ain't
going to do nothing for you.

rbowman

Nov 30, 2023, 9:06:34 PM11/30/23
On Thu, 30 Nov 2023 09:15:01 -0600, candycanearter07 wrote:

> On 11/30/23 06:34, DFS wrote: <snip>
>> Linux just seems to attract demented people.  cola has seen more than
>> it's fair share of outlandish liars thru the years - one of the Linux
>> wackos here once claimed he could cover 220 miles in 8 hours... on a
>> mtn bike, on public streets.
> <snip>
>
> Maybe they had rocket boosters.

Well, if your balls were big enough and you started at Loveland Pass...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loveland_Pass

If you made it through Denver alive East Colorado is flat, trends
downhill, and you'd have the wind on your back.

Chris Ahlstrom

Dec 1, 2023, 8:14:44 AM12/1/23
candycanearter07 wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:

> On 11/30/23 06:34, DFS wrote:
> <snip>
>> Linux just seems to attract demented people.

It sure does! :-D

>>   cola has seen more than
>> it's fair share of outlandish liars thru the years - one of the Linux
>> wackos here once claimed he could cover 220 miles in 8 hours... on a mtn
>> bike, on public streets.
> <snip>
>
> Maybe they had rocket boosters.

That's 27.5 miles/hr. Brad Wiggins road an hour course of almost 34 miles.

So the speed is not out of the question; but the duration sure is. Hella
calories burned!

On my steel road bike I can hold around 20 mph on the flat if I work hard. But
I'm an old bastard, and tend to average around 15 mph.

--
Lay on, MacDuff, and curs'd be him who first cries, "Hold, enough!".
-- Shakespeare

Kelsey Bjarnason

Jan 3, 2024, 11:30:08 AMJan 3
On Thu, 23 Nov 2023 12:59:34 -0500, DFS wrote:

> "The thing I dislike about Linux is that it is far too common to not
> have proper drivers.

As opposed to Windows, where you can have perfectly functional hardware and
drivers that work just fine - until you get a new version of Windows, at
which point the drivers cease to work. Often this is followed by the
vendor providing drivers for the new version of Windows - but only for
newer hardware, leaving you otherwise perfectly functional hardware as
paperweights.

At least in Linuxland, if the thing works, it is almost guaranteed to keep
on working. Such deletions of functionality are rare.

RabidPedagog

Jan 3, 2024, 11:34:21 AMJan 3
I can't argue with that. If hardware ever stops working, it's because it
is archaic to a point that it is impossible that anyone would still be
using it.

--
@RabidPedagog