USDA is FUBAR. GNU/Linux to the Rescue!

Dkjgkgjhsvb

Dec 1, 2022, 7:53:55 AM12/1/22
The new USDA Mutritional Database is released:

https://fdc.nal.usda.gov/download-datasets.html

American taxpayer dollars have funded the production of the
CVS files which allow easy uploading to any database.

But the CVS files are FUBAR (I haven't checked the other formats).

Fortunately there are impeccable GNU/Linux tools. These wonderful
tools allowed me to discover the errors and to partially fix them.

I say "partially" because in one critical file the dumb bastards
have actually switched field data, i.e. they put field_i data into
field_j and vice versa. But since this was done only for a fraction
of the records and in a scattered, unpredictable fashion it is
impossible to fix.

But try to accomplish that with Microcrap Winblows.

Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

You'll end up sucking your thumb out of sheer frustration.

Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Notice that the USDA has gotten rid of the Access database.
I guess that they couldn't hold their noses anymore when
dealing with that garbage.

GNU/Linux: Empowering the powerful.

Microcrap/Apphole: foisting wheelchairs on the lame.

Relf

Dec 1, 2022, 8:16:17 AM12/1/22
> The new USDA Mutritional Database is released.

How are you eating your vegetables, dentures ?