New Monitor Config

Alvin P. Picker

Nov 25, 2022, 4:09:08 PM11/25/22
On GNU/Linux, one cannot just "plug in" a new monitor and then
reboot.

Fuck no, tootsies!

One has to do his fucking homework.

Here is my new section in xorg.conf:

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "VP2768a"
HorizSync 50-90
VertRefresh 24-75
DisplaySize 596.736 335.664
EndSection

If I don't include this section, then the whole fucking
thing will come tumbling down, with possible damage to
the fucking monitor.

Then there is the "Screen" section:

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Screen0"
Device "NVidia"
Monitor "VP2768a"
DefaultDepth 24
Subsection "Display"
Depth 24
Modes "2560x1440" "1920x1440"
ViewPort 0 0
EndSubsection
EndSection

I needs this to limit the displayed resolution to the
two indicated values.

Ahahahahaha! On Microcrap it requires about FIVE MINUTES
to change the display resolution. On GNU/Linux there is
only ONE KEYSTROKE (< 1 second) to do the same.

That's GNU/Linux. It's made by BIG BOYS for BIG BOYS.

All others are destined to whine and rationalize.

Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Joel

Nov 25, 2022, 4:14:00 PM11/25/22
"Alvin P. Picker" <a...@gnu.rocks> wrote:

>That's GNU/Linux. It's made by BIG BOYS for BIG BOYS.

You desire an OS that can't handle swapping a monitor? I mean, I'm
pretty sure if you were running Mint like a sane person, it would
handle it, but WTF.

--
Joel Crump

DFS

Nov 25, 2022, 4:41:10 PM11/25/22
On 11/25/2022 4:09 PM, Larry 'Nose Picker' Piet wrote:

> On Microcrap it requires about FIVE MINUTES
> to change the display resolution.

wtf?

It takes about 5 SECONDS, lying loser. And you get many choices of
resolution (I get 17, from 800x600 to 2560x1080 ). And the recommended
resolution is flagged as such.

Win11
right-click desktop
display settings
choose display resolution
click 'Keep Changes'

Windows FTW, as usual.

Lyin' Feeb FTL, as usual.

Joel

Nov 25, 2022, 5:07:19 PM11/25/22
DFS <nos...@dfs.com> wrote:

>Windows FTW, as usual.

If we're comparing it to Gentoo, pretty much. If we're comparing it
to Mint, it's a wash.

--
Joel Crump

DFS

Nov 25, 2022, 6:02:20 PM11/25/22
On 11/25/2022 5:07 PM, Joel wrote:
> DFS <nos...@dfs.com> wrote:
>
>> Windows FTW, as usual.
>

> If we're comparing it to Gentoo, pretty much.

In Gentoo you could probably add a long list of modes/resolutions to the
xorg.conf file. But it's a silly hassle, and the fact you can literally
fry your monitor with bad entries is a fiasco. No doubt Feeb loves
doing it.

> If we're comparing it to Mint, it's a wash.

Looks like it. I created a Mint 21 virtual machine in Hyper-V, and
under Settings | Display it also offered 17 choices. But they differed
somewhat from the choices in Windows; Mint in Hyper-V didn't offer the
highest available resolution Win11 offered, but it offered lower
resolutions than Win11. Likely this is due to the interaction between
xorg and Hyper-V.

https://imgur.com/HTolc9N

Joel

Nov 25, 2022, 6:09:07 PM11/25/22
DFS <nos...@dfs.com> wrote:

>>> Windows FTW, as usual.
>>
>> If we're comparing it to Gentoo, pretty much.
>
>In Gentoo you could probably add a long list of modes/resolutions to the
>xorg.conf file. But it's a silly hassle, and the fact you can literally
>fry your monitor with bad entries is a fiasco. No doubt Feeb loves
>doing it.

It boggles the mind. He really thinks the marginal difference in
performance justifies using such a basic distro.

> > If we're comparing it to Mint, it's a wash.
>
>Looks like it. I created a Mint 21 virtual machine in Hyper-V, and
>under Settings | Display it also offered 17 choices. But they differed
>somewhat from the choices in Windows; Mint in Hyper-V didn't offer the
>highest available resolution Win11 offered, but it offered lower
>resolutions than Win11. Likely this is due to the interaction between
>xorg and Hyper-V.
>
>https://imgur.com/HTolc9N

Quite interesting.

--
Joel Crump

rbowman

Nov 26, 2022, 12:02:55 AM11/26/22
On Fri, 25 Nov 2022 16:41:08 -0500, DFS wrote:

> Win11 right-click desktop display settings choose display resolution
> click 'Keep Changes'

Ubuntu 22.04
right-click desktop
display settings
resolution
keep changes

It has choices from 720 x 576 to 1920 x 1080. I suppose it would have 2560
x 1080 if the monitor was capable.

Alvin P. Picker

Nov 26, 2022, 5:13:07 AM11/26/22
On 26 Nov 2022 05:02:51 GMT, rbowman wrote:

> Ubuntu 22.04
> right-click desktop
> display settings
> resolution
> keep changes
>
> It has choices from 720 x 576 to 1920 x 1080. I suppose it would have 2560
> x 1080 if the monitor was capable.

Those are parameters that control the video card. They have
nothing to do with actual monitor settings.

Every monitor has oodles of configurable parameters that are
usually accessed through monitor buttons or a monitor joystick.
Using a monitor with default/factory settings is sub-optimal.

But there is software that can directly access the monitor parameters:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Display_Data_Channel#DDC.2FCI

On GNU/Linux:

http://www.ddcutil.com/

https://nvutils.sourceforge.net/

Except for nvidia, this works through i2c-dev and ddci kernel
modules.

So there is work, work, and work to be done to install a new
monitor.

Microcrap/Mint users will have to update their wheelchairs.

Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

RonB

Dec 1, 2022, 6:15:17 AM12/1/22
Linux Mint 20.3. Menu -> Control Center -> Set Resolution -> Apply.

Is this supposed to be hard in Linux? (addressed to DFS)

--
Freedom. Use it or lose it.