Another FOSS Masterpiece!

Joe Fantastic

Nov 23, 2022, 5:31:43 AM11/23/22
A happy and productive TG to all true GNU/Linux enthusiasts
from Joe Fantastic!

(And I wish severe food poisoning with incessant vomiting and
bloody diarrhea to all lusers of Microcrap/Apphole.)

If you don't know already, the absolute BESTEST image viewer, et.al,
on GNU/Linux is the incomparable Geeqie:

https://github.com/BestImageViewer/geeqie

If you haven't been using this all along then all that I ask
is: what is your fucking problem?

There is only one minor fault. For zooming, geeqie offers only
bicubic interpolation as their "best" option. But gdk-pixbuf,
upon which geeqie is based, includes the "no-halo" option as well.

I might write a patch, as I have done for the xzgv image viewer,
to remedy this.

For those asshole Microcrap lusers I have some very, very bad news.
Geeqie is NOT available for that piece-of-junk shit platform.

Conclusion:

With geeqie, and xzgv, GNU/Linux moves to the top position regarding
image viewing.

Nothing can beat FOSS. Nothing.

This is Joe Fantastic signing off.

DFS

Nov 25, 2022, 9:53:06 AM11/25/22
On 11/23/2022 5:31 AM, Lameass Larry Piet wrote:

> A happy and productive TG to all true GNU/Linux enthusiasts
> from Joe Fantastic!
>
> (And I wish severe food poisoning with incessant vomiting and
> bloody diarrhea to all lusers of Microcrap/Apphole.)

Choke out on a cranberry, prick.

> If you don't know already, the absolute BESTEST image viewer, et.al,
> on GNU/Linux is the incomparable Geeqie:

uh huh...

And "spreadsheets are just a crutch for digital illiterates."

And "I use only GuhNoo/Linux and C".

So you're an idiot AND a liar.

> If you haven't been using this all along then all that I ask
> is: what is your fucking problem?

2 months ago xzgv was your "favorite".

You haven't been using GleeQueefies "all along", so the real question,
liar, is: "What is YOUR fucking problem?"

> There is only one minor fault. For zooming, geeqie offers only
> bicubic interpolation as their "best" option. But gdk-pixbuf,
> upon which geeqie is based, includes the "no-halo" option as well.

Another namby-pamby Larry Piet post. What a loser.

> I might write a patch, as I have done for the xzgv image viewer,
> to remedy this.

Where can we download the source code of this supposed "patch"? Nowhere,
that's where.

> For those asshole Microcrap lusers I have some very, very bad news.
> Geeqie is NOT available for that piece-of-junk shit platform.

Good. Who in the world needs that GuhNoo crapware? Nobody.

> Conclusion:

Opinion:

> With geeqie, and xzgv, GNU/Linux moves to the top position regarding
> image viewing.
>
> Nothing can beat FOSS. Nothing.
>
> This is Joe Fantastic signing off.

Can't you just fade away?

rbowman

Nov 25, 2022, 1:44:32 PM11/25/22
On Fri, 25 Nov 2022 09:53:03 -0500, DFS wrote:

> And "spreadsheets are just a crutch for digital illiterates."

There is some truth in that statement. I cringe when I get an xsl document
because I know it will be some sort of free form text entry, usually
stream of consciousness, that should have been a coherent text document.

I can't remember if I've ever seen a spreadsheet used as a spreadsheet.
The first one I ran into was SuperCalc which was bundled with CP/M on the
Osborne 1. I never found a use for it; 40 years later I still don't know
what to do with Excel. I'm sure it's a valuable tool for accountants and
other number crunchers.

DFS

Nov 25, 2022, 2:26:46 PM11/25/22
On 11/25/2022 1:44 PM, rbowman wrote:
> On Fri, 25 Nov 2022 09:53:03 -0500, DFS wrote:
>
>> And "spreadsheets are just a crutch for digital illiterates."
>
> There is some truth in that statement.

It's another stupid Feeb proclamation.

> I cringe when I get an xsl document

I assume you meant .xls.

The only cringing I felt related to Excel was generally due to
formatting and structure: some monthly data feed would be changed
(columns now in a different order, columns removed, tabs renamed).

> because I know it will be some sort of free form text entry, usually
> stream of consciousness, that should have been a coherent text document.
>
> I can't remember if I've ever seen a spreadsheet used as a spreadsheet.
> The first one I ran into was SuperCalc which was bundled with CP/M on the
> Osborne 1.

I, on the other hand, don't recall ever seeing an .xls document used
like a .doc file. Not once.

> I never found a use for it; 40 years later I still don't know
> what to do with Excel.

Analyze data (business and scientific and engineering). Build
budgets/forecasts. Maintain simple and complex lists. Build financial
and statistical models. Build full-blown apps (that don't look at all
like spreadsheets). Powerful charting, etc

An Excel sheet nowadays has 1,048,576 rows by 16,384 columns, so it can
store an enormous amt of info.

To get the most out of Excel you have to write VBA code, though.

> I'm sure it's a valuable tool for accountants and
> other number crunchers.

From what I've read, Excel is the dominant tool used in finance /
accounting / statistics / data science / engineering / science all over
the world. No exaggeration.

R programming is widely-used for stats and "big data", too.

And Excel/.xls is very likely the most common data interchange format in
the world. I know it was rare for me to get/send .csv files at any
company I ever worked.

L​e​s​t​e​r​ ​T​h​o​r​p​e​

Nov 25, 2022, 3:07:12 PM11/25/22
On 25 Nov 2022 18:44:28 GMT, rbowman wrote:

> I can't remember if I've ever seen a spreadsheet used as a spreadsheet.

Ahahahahahahaha! That is so fucking true!

I just got one last week from some middle manager at a humongous
global corp.

Spreadsheets are for numerical computation. They are not intended
for word processing.

But this spreadsheet was used as a word processor. An informed
person would have used Word, but this corporate clown couldn't
distinguish his arse from a hole in the ground.

99.9999999% of people who use Microcrap products are total
morons, and this is borne out day after day after fucking
day.

One could randomly walk into any business, of any size, and
discover the most ridiculously structured spreadsheets and
documents. These people just don't know what the fuck they
are doing -- and they are everywhere -- in droves.

Microcrap is based in total idiocy and mental retardation.

Congrats, Billy. You have saved the world.

Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

rbowman

Nov 26, 2022, 12:21:30 AM11/26/22
On Fri, 25 Nov 2022 14:26:43 -0500, DFS wrote:

> I, on the other hand, don't recall ever seeing an .xls document used
> like a .doc file. Not once.

You run with a different crowd. We get RFPs in xls where the first column
is what would be a paragraph heading, the second column is a description.
There may be other columns, one of which is for us to fill with something
like

currently implemented
can be implemented in six months
no effing way

It's all text, no numerics, no calculations. It's not even as sensible as

place latitude longitude
Joe's Bar 41.6578 -71.43534

https://gis.stackexchange.com/questions/205887/point-feature-class-from-
excel-spreadsheet-lat-long

rbowman

Nov 26, 2022, 12:31:15 AM11/26/22
On Fri, 25 Nov 2022 20:07:08 +0000, L​e​s​t​e​r​ ​T​h​o​r​p​e​ wrote:

> I just got one last week from some middle manager at a humongous global
> corp.
>
> Spreadsheets are for numerical computation. They are not intended for
> word processing.

Give a middle manager a hammer and everything is a damn nail. To their
defense the people I deal with have expertise in many areas other than
office software. After a couple of go-arounds with Word where they get
locked into bullet points or some such shit and can't get out, Excel is a
no-brainer. You type in the little boxes and no weird stuff happens.

RonB

Dec 1, 2022, 6:07:55 AM12/1/22
On 2022-11-25, rbowman <bow...@montana.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 25 Nov 2022 09:53:03 -0500, DFS wrote:
>
>> And "spreadsheets are just a crutch for digital illiterates."
>
> There is some truth in that statement. I cringe when I get an xsl document
> because I know it will be some sort of free form text entry, usually
> stream of consciousness, that should have been a coherent text document.

I'm not a programmer, but I used to have to convert Excel address
"databases" into something usable (we used dBASE). You would think that
would be easy. So, even though I know you've probably converted many times
worse spreadsheets, I completely understand what you mean by "stream of
consciousness." Basically EVERY customer database I got was done in Excel. At
least it gave me something to do.

> I can't remember if I've ever seen a spreadsheet used as a spreadsheet.
> The first one I ran into was SuperCalc which was bundled with CP/M on the
> Osborne 1. I never found a use for it; 40 years later I still don't know
> what to do with Excel. I'm sure it's a valuable tool for accountants and
> other number crunchers.

Spreadsheets worked pretty well for printing out our cable records when
making cuts to a new PBX switch. I don't think I've seen a spreadsheet used
as a spreadsheet either. I think databases are much, much more useful.

--
Freedom. Use it or lose it.