[News] [Rival] MSBBC Tightens Relationship with Microsoft, Apparently

Roy Schestowitz

Jan 3, 2008, 1:09:38 AM1/3/08
Bill Gates gets probed by Auntie

,----[ Quote ]
| THE BBC is inviting its readers to ask Vole supremo Bill Gates questions.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/01/02/bill-gates-probed-auntie

Look how Microsoft controls the media. Last month Billy became a writer for the
BBC.

Last month:

BBC pinches hot new columnist [Bill Gates] from Microsoft

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/12/14/bill_gates_bbc_secrets/

Citing -- you've guess it -- a new Microsoft study.

Survey: People skills valued over those for IT

,----[ Quote ]
| Interpersonal skills are more important in the workplace than IT skills,
| according to the results of a survey commissioned by Microsoft.
|
| In the survey of approximately 500 board-level executives, 61 percent said
| interpersonal and teamworking skills were more important than IT skills.
`----

http://www.news.com/Survey-People-skills-valued-over-those-for-IT/2100-1022_3-6222828.html?part=rss&tag=2547-1_3-0-20&subj=news
http://tinyurl.com/yolnpf

Related:

Beeb slammed for 'fawning' to Bill Gates

,----[ Quote ]
| BBC viewers have flooded the corporation with complaints over how it
| covered the launch of Microsoft Vista earlier this week.
|
| In one cringingly servile interview worthy of Uriah Heep, the
| Beeb's news presenter Hugh Edwards even thanked Gates at the
| end of it, presumably in appreciation at being allowed to give
| the Vole vast coverage for free.
|
| In other TV news items presenters excitedly explained how Vistac
| ould be obtained and installed - details courtesy of the BBC's
| website.
|
| But British viewers, currently forced to pay a £131.50 licence
| fee to maintain the BBC's "impartiality", were less than impressed.
|
| Scores got in touch to complain that so much was Auntie up Bill's
| bum that you could barely see her corset.
`----

http://slated.org/bbc_microsoft_bias

http://antitrust.slated.org/www.iowaconsumercase.org/011607/3000/PX03096.pdf

Gates sold 100,000 Univision shares-SEC filing

,----[ Quote ]
| The foundation said it sold its remaining stake in Univision,
| which is in the process of being acquired by private investors,
| for an average of $35.34 per share in open market transactions.
`----

http://yahoo.reuters.com/news/articlehybrid.aspx?storyID=urn:newsmlreuters.com:20070105:MTFH49951_2007-01-05_22-11-13_N05298823&type=comktNews&rpc=44
http://tinyurl.com/yll88p

Gates Foundation Revokes Pledge to Review Portfolio

,----[ Quote ]
| ...the Gates Foundation took down their public statement on this
| and replaced it with a significantly altered version which seems to
| say that investing responsibly would just be too complex for them
| and that they need to focus on their core mission: 'There are
| dozens of factors that could be considered, almost all of which
| are outside the foundation's areas of expertise. The issues
| involved are quite complex...
`----

http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/01/12/1756212&from=rss

Bill Gates lends cash to buy newspapers

$350 million to MediaNews

,----[ Quote ]
| Gates involvement has been very behind the scenes. In fact many of
| those involved in the deal didn'teven know he was one of the investors.
| It was carried out through the Gates Foundation, the world's largest
| philanthropy outfit.
`----

More on Troy Wolverton, the Street, and Apple Scandal

,----[ Quote ]
| MediaNews did buy the Mercury News with a loan from Bill Gates' foundation,
| and is in the process of paying back that loan by publishing information
| without much journalistic or technical integrity.
|
| Specifically, I wrote “One might think that the San Jose Mercury News, being
| located in Apple's backyard, would tend to trumpet the company's success. One
| would be wrong... Apple's corporate proximity to San Jose is trumped by the
| Mercury News’ need to publish low cost, highly sensational news to make
| enough money to pay back Bill Gates for the favor of his humanitarian loan.”
`----

http://www.roughlydrafted.com/RD/RDM.Tech.Q3.07/082663E0-6FD8-4F1D-909F-1BC72833AD02.html

Bill Gates fund reports 12.8 pct PlanetOut stake

,----[ Quote ]
| Bill Gates' investment fund Cascade Investment LLC reported in a regulatory
| filing on Friday that its holds a 12.8 percent stake in the common stock of
| online media company PlanetOut Inc.
`----

http://www.reuters.com/article/topNews/idUKN1331033020070713?rpc=44

PC World Editor Resigns When Ordered Not to Criticize Advertisers

,----[ Quote ]
| Apparently he also told the staff that product reviews had to be
| nicer to vendors who advertise in the magazine. The sad thing is
| that given the economics of publishing in this day and age, I
| doubt anything even comes of this even tho it essentially
| confirms that PC World reviews should be thought of as no
| more than press releases. I know that's how I will consider
| links from them in the future. But congratulations to anyone
| willing to stick to their guns on such matters.
`----

http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/05/03/1810239&from=rss

What happened to the guts?

,----[ Quote ]
| Of one thing I am fairly certain. Microsoft all but eliminated
| mainstream software competition. As a result, Microsoft became
| the primary source of advertising revenue for mainstream publications.
| You don't bite the hand that feeds you. So instead of publishing
| issues calling for a worldwide boycott of Vista because it focuses
| more on what you can't do than what you can do, you see special
| editions praising Vista as the greatest advancement in computing
| since Windows 95. Granted we all know that Windows 95 was a dog
| from day one, but by the 90s, the mainstream press had already
| become rampant with Microsoft sycophants and they pushed Windows
| 95 like it was the second coming.
|
| [...]
|
| In short, I'd love to see a mainstream publication become an
| advocate for the consumer once again.
|
| As noted above, there are exceptions, including Linux Journal,
| most other FOSS-centered publications and even The Register.
| But we're the little guys.
`----

http://www.linuxjournal.com/node/1000173

Mark Kent

Jan 3, 2008, 1:27:03 PM1/3/08
Roy Schestowitz <newsg...@schestowitz.com> espoused:

> Bill Gates gets probed by Auntie
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| THE BBC is inviting its readers to ask Vole supremo Bill Gates questions.
> `----
>
> http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/01/02/bill-gates-probed-auntie
>
> Look how Microsoft controls the media. Last month Billy became a writer for the
> BBC.
>

> Last month:
>
> BBC pinches hot new columnist [Bill Gates] from Microsoft
>
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/12/14/bill_gates_bbc_secrets/
>
> Citing -- you've guess it -- a new Microsoft study.
>
> Survey: People skills valued over those for IT
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| Interpersonal skills are more important in the workplace than IT skills,
>| according to the results of a survey commissioned by Microsoft.
>|
>| In the survey of approximately 500 board-level executives, 61 percent said
>| interpersonal and teamworking skills were more important than IT skills.
> `----
>
> http://www.news.com/Survey-People-skills-valued-over-those-for-IT/2100-1022_3-6222828.html?part=rss&tag=2547-1_3-0-20&subj=news
> http://tinyurl.com/yolnpf

They say that because they don't have any technical skills. This is the
result of the 1990s purge of technical people and replacement of them
with MBA/politician types. A quick look at the last few years of
Dilbert shows this up very well.

Interestingly, which companies are doing very very well? Err, Google,
who employ... technical people and... Red Hat who employ... technical
people etc. etc.

A lot of companies with non-technical management are marching
double-time to the graveyard.

Abdul Catrell

Jan 4, 2008, 12:22:13 PM1/4/08

"Mark Kent" <mark...@demon.co.uk> wrote in message

More slurping. Obviously Roy Schestowitz is a paid shill and he gets a few
extra pennies if someone responds to one of his moronic posts. I'm sure he
appreciates you slurping up to him so that he can pay his bills. One day he
might even be able to afford to get his own internet access.