Xbox One X

Silver Slimer

Jun 12, 2017, 6:01:03 PM6/12/17
So Microsoft releases the most powerful console on the market, allows it
to play Blu-Ray and games at 4K, retains compatibility with the older
hardware and games (and new games will also play on the older hardware
albeit at lower resolutions) AND plans on making the library of games
form the original Xbox compatible with the system as of Fall.

I don't know but it honestly looks to me like it's the console to have.

--
Silver Slimer
OpenMedia & EFF Member

Death to Islam

Peter Köhlmann

Jun 12, 2017, 6:10:47 PM6/12/17
Silver Slimer wrote:

> So Microsoft releases the most powerful console on the market, allows it
> to play Blu-Ray and games at 4K, retains compatibility with the older
> hardware and games (and new games will also play on the older hardware
> albeit at lower resolutions) AND plans on making the library of games
> form the original Xbox compatible with the system as of Fall.
>
> I don't know but it honestly looks to me like it's the console to have.

Certainly. If you are younger than 21. And out of a job since ever

RonB

Jun 12, 2017, 6:19:33 PM6/12/17
On 2017-06-12, Silver Slimer <s...@im.er> wrote:
> So Microsoft releases the most powerful console on the market, allows it
> to play Blu-Ray and games at 4K, retains compatibility with the older
> hardware and games (and new games will also play on the older hardware
> albeit at lower resolutions) AND plans on making the library of games
> form the original Xbox compatible with the system as of Fall.
>
> I don't know but it honestly looks to me like it's the console to have.

It depends on what games you want to play. My kids' favorite games come on
Nintendo and Playstation consoles.

--
Zero Tolerance for iCultists and WinTrolls

vallor

Jun 12, 2017, 7:22:52 PM6/12/17
The average "frequent game purchaser" is 38 years old.

https://www.polygon.com/2016/4/29/11539102/gaming-stats-2016-esa-essential-facts

--
-v

owl

Jun 12, 2017, 7:45:01 PM6/12/17
Let me take a wild guess...
1987: average gamer age 8
1997: average gamer age 18
2007: average gamer age 28
2017: average gamer age 38

That said, I had a girlfriend in the 80s whose 60+ year old mother
was addicted to Ms Pacman on Atari.

Silver Slimer

Jun 12, 2017, 8:04:15 PM6/12/17
I don't think there has been a single day in your life where you smiled
or had fun. In fact, when you miraculously found a woman to marry you,
your wedding was probably in front of a judge with no friends or family
to accompany you and your honeymoon likely consisted of TV dinner and
watching the German version of The Gong Show.

DFS

Jun 12, 2017, 8:17:40 PM6/12/17
ha!

As I've said before, Kohlmann's face will crack in half the first time
he smiles.

DFS

Jun 12, 2017, 8:18:35 PM6/12/17
On 6/12/2017 6:01 PM, Silver Slimer wrote:

> So Microsoft releases the most powerful console on the market, allows it
> to play Blu-Ray and games at 4K, retains compatibility with the older
> hardware and games (and new games will also play on the older hardware
> albeit at lower resolutions) AND plans on making the library of games
> form the original Xbox compatible with the system as of Fall.
>
> I don't know but it honestly looks to me like it's the console to have.

I don't get it.

A month ago you insisted "Let's be honest and say that Microsoft doesn't
really care what users want and don't cater to them in any way."

DFS

Jun 12, 2017, 8:35:06 PM6/12/17
On 6/12/2017 7:44 PM, owl wrote:

> That said, I had a girlfriend in the 80s whose 60+ year old mother
> was addicted to Ms Pacman on Atari.

You were dating the mother on the side.

Marek Novotny

Jun 12, 2017, 8:39:06 PM6/12/17
Good thing I wasn't drinking anything. ;)

> That said, I had a girlfriend in the 80s whose 60+ year old mother
> was addicted to Ms Pacman on Atari.

Had a girlfriend that could play ms. pac-man for hours on one quarter.
Everyone liked that game. I still play it on consoles of today.

--
Marek Novotny
https://github.com/marek-novotny

Marek Novotny

Jun 12, 2017, 8:40:49 PM6/12/17
Pretty sure he actually stipulated the x-box as an exception.

vallor

Jun 12, 2017, 9:17:10 PM6/12/17
You're out of touch.

Of course, PC games are better than consoles, but I didn't have to tell you that.

--
-v

DFS

Jun 12, 2017, 9:35:37 PM6/12/17
He did, 3 sentences later, rather than in the same sentence like he
should've.

Either way it's sheer "advocate" stupidity and dishonesty. As if MS
cares only about XBox users. Moronic.

The endless smorgasbord of featureless little FOSS (cr)apps shows how
little FOSS developers care about their users.

Slimer's hypocrisy pisses me off, too, as he no longer hammers the truly
shittiest software in the world: Linux/FOSS.

eg http://imgur.com/a/ctkni

That's where I tried to install Manjaro today. The DVD wouldn't even
boot. Endless FAILED on 3 services. It never would've stopped if I
didn't step in. Lucky I didn't give up - I shut it off and tried again
and then it booted up and installed cleanly.

This time I dedicated an 80GB partition to Linux. The default install
is a little over 7GB, so I have plenty of room to work with.

Me Sham

Jun 12, 2017, 9:53:46 PM6/12/17
Statistics and Peter don't mesh well.

Marek Novotny

Jun 12, 2017, 9:59:55 PM6/12/17
The whole VR thing looks a little exciting. I don't know if that
excitement will last once one has one for a few months. But I would like
to have software gives me VR tours of things like the pyramids in Egypt
or being in a capsule and taking off for space. How about a space walk?
Or even just views of various cities around the world. If they start to
do VR stuff like that I think I'd really it. Spelunking into an
underwater cave... A helicopter ride or a balloon ride. Sitting in the
seat of a jet breaking the sound barrier. That would be cool.

owl

Jun 12, 2017, 10:03:41 PM6/12/17
au contraire

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGftIcp2SC0&list=RDJGftIcp2SC0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3eN6WvERaM

That was my 80s. Thankfully my nostalgia is of fine women and and good
times socializing with living, breathing humans. I didn't find too many
magic crystals, but then you can't have everything I guess.

> Of course, PC games are better than consoles, but I didn't have to tell you that.

I wouldn't know. They're all the same to me.

Melzzzzz

Jun 12, 2017, 10:11:50 PM6/12/17
Heh I bought 8 games last year and played some only 3. 5 haven't touched
yet ;)

DFS

Jun 12, 2017, 10:37:24 PM6/12/17
On 6/12/2017 9:59 PM, Marek Novotny wrote:

> But I would like
> to have software gives me VR tours of things like the pyramids in Egypt
> or being in a capsule and taking off for space. How about a space walk?
> Or even just views of various cities around the world. If they start to
> do VR stuff like that I think I'd really it. Spelunking into an
> underwater cave... A helicopter ride or a balloon ride. Sitting in the
> seat of a jet breaking the sound barrier. That would be cool.

It's called POV (full-screen with office lights off)

helicopter ride
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWgR_LUsQ_Y

cave dive
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plZf-jB86TE

Tokyo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDVx4kXDd-k

Incubus

Jun 13, 2017, 6:02:09 AM6/13/17
On Monday, June 12, 2017 at 10:01:03 PM UTC, Silver Slimer wrote:
> So Microsoft releases the most powerful console on the market, allows it
> to play Blu-Ray and games at 4K,

More powerful than the PlayStation 4 Pro? It also plays BluRays and has 4K capability.

> retains compatibility with the older
> hardware and games (and new games will also play on the older hardware
> albeit at lower resolutions)

Also true of the PS4 Pro.

> AND plans on making the library of games
> form the original Xbox compatible with the system as of Fall.

That's true for PS One games also. I even have Legacy of Kain on my PS Vita.

> I don't know but it honestly looks to me like it's the console to have.

Two advantages of the PlayStation - the controllers and games are better from my perspective.

Melzzzzz

Jun 13, 2017, 6:03:49 AM6/13/17
On 2017-06-13, Incubus <incubus...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Monday, June 12, 2017 at 10:01:03 PM UTC, Silver Slimer wrote:
>> So Microsoft releases the most powerful console on the market, allows it
>> to play Blu-Ray and games at 4K,
>
> More powerful than the PlayStation 4 Pro? It also plays BluRays and
> has 4K capability.
>
>> retains compatibility with the older hardware and games (and new
>> games will also play on the older hardware albeit at lower
>> resolutions)
>
> Also true of the PS4 Pro.
>
>> AND plans on making the library of games form the original Xbox
>> compatible with the system as of Fall.
>
> That's true for PS One games also. I even have Legacy of Kain on my
> PS Vita.

Ahahahahahahah. How old are you? 15?

Silver Slimer

Jun 13, 2017, 7:32:43 AM6/13/17
The problem is that PC games don't get the same kinds of exclusives.
They're better with MMORPG games, but much worse with sports games (no
Madden, no NHL, no baseball games, etc.). Even the PC port of Pro
Evolution Soccer is a joke.

Besides, before Steam, PC gaming was cumbersome.

Silver Slimer

Jun 13, 2017, 7:36:05 AM6/13/17
He doesn't believe in facts and reality.

Melzzzzz

Jun 13, 2017, 7:39:05 AM6/13/17
Yeah, Steam makes that easy.

Silver Slimer

Jun 13, 2017, 7:41:33 AM6/13/17
I was talking about Windows and you know that.

This is the Xbox which I have always said is one area Microsoft excels in.

Silver Slimer

Jun 13, 2017, 7:42:38 AM6/13/17
I have to admit that I'm not a stranger to images like the one you posted.

Silver Slimer

Jun 13, 2017, 7:43:42 AM6/13/17

The PS4 Pro doesn't play 4k Blu-Rays; it only plays 4k content you
purchase from their online stores.

chrisv

Jun 13, 2017, 8:14:33 AM6/13/17
vallor wrote:

> The average "frequent game purchaser" is 38 years old.

Because he's buying them for his kids? :)

--
'So it really boils down to "I hate Microsoft and I hate Apple"
because they aren't free.' - some POS that calls itself "GreyCloud",

chrisv

Jun 13, 2017, 8:26:23 AM6/13/17
Marek Novotny wrote:

> Dumfsck wrote:
>>
>> A month ago you insisted "Let's be honest and say that Microsoft doesn't
>> really care what users want and don't cater to them in any way."
>
> Pretty sure he actually stipulated the x-box as an exception.

M$ can be faulted for corporate "selfishness", at the expense of the
user experience. But, it's not correct to say that they "don't care
what users want" and "don't cater to them in any way".

Dumfsck's attack is a still a bit of a cheap shot, of course, since
game consoles are not the usual subject of commentary, in here.

--
"So if Android is Linux and there's all these 100's of millions of
Android/Linux users then this would make Linux users the biggest

Peter Köhlmann

Jun 13, 2017, 8:55:43 AM6/13/17
Oh yes, they've got nice red rings in those

Silver Slimer

Jun 13, 2017, 9:02:07 AM6/13/17
I always hated PC gaming for forcing me to put a CD in the tray to play
a game. Though consoles still do it (if you buy the game in physical
form), the ability to buy a game and only requiring Internet
connectivity to verify if it's a real purchase is a lot simpler.

Me Sham

Jun 13, 2017, 10:44:08 AM6/13/17
It also doesn't show games in real 4K either. It uses a checkerboarding gimmick to mimic it. PS4 Pro was a rushed out product done to beat Xbox to the punch.

chrisv

Jun 13, 2017, 10:53:29 AM6/13/17
Silver Slimer wrote:

>I always hated PC gaming for forcing me to put a CD in the tray to play
>a game.

Such a hardship!

--
"Of course, that's also true for a healthy segment of the advocates,
since all too often their perspective isn't about technical

Silver Slimer

Jun 13, 2017, 12:09:13 PM6/13/17
On 2017-06-13 10:53 AM, chrisv wrote:
> Silver Slimer wrote:
>
>> I always hated PC gaming for forcing me to put a CD in the tray to play
>> a game.
>
> Such a hardship!

With "auto-play," it was very annoying indeed.

Silver Slimer

Jun 13, 2017, 12:10:17 PM6/13/17
> Oh yes, they entertained my humorless children quite remarkably

I'm glad that Microsoft has been able to provide your miserable
offspring with a temporary distraction from the intolerable fact that
they're related to you.

Silver Slimer

Jun 13, 2017, 12:11:07 PM6/13/17
On 2017-06-13 10:44 AM, Me Sham wrote:
> It also doesn't show games in real 4K either. It uses a checkerboarding gimmick to mimic it. PS4 Pro was a rushed out product done to beat Xbox to the punch.

The games will indeed be 4K but at 30FPS and with lower detail. In
general, I feel that the gaming world is better off sticking to 1080p
but that's just me. I'm quite content with that resolution myself.

Fakey's Puppy Whistle Holder Emeritus 🐶笛

Jun 13, 2017, 12:34:16 PM6/13/17
On 13 Jun 2017 01:17:07 GMT, LO AND BEHOLD; "vallor
<val...@cultnix.org>" determined that the following was of great
importance and subsequently decided to freely share it with us in
<eq8soj...@mid.individual.net>:
i dunno... i'd much rather research or build or create something than waste hours of my life staring at a computer or TV screen accomplishing absolutely nothing now that my high school and college years are behind me, thanks. perhaps it's due to the fact that the only console i ever had while growing up was an atari 2600 that i could only use on the color tv when nobody else was watching anything - back in the "old days" when kids used to go outside to play.

besides, pretty much all of the games i see advertised these days are "first person shooters" and i am not a fan of simulated (or real) violence, or the perpetuation of it by advertisers or game brogrammers. i have a theory that it makes people just a little bit stupider than they would have been otherwise.

--
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iB6B8jGSdLA

-

-

-

"I think we should destroy every last fucking mosque in America." - "Checkmate, DoW #1" <Lunatic...@The.Edge> proves for us that white males are violent in Message-ID: <MPG.32c5bfef...@news.altopia.com>

-

Golden Killfile, June 2005
KOTM, November 2006
Busted Urinal Award, April 2007
Tinfoil Sombrero, February 2007
AUK Mascot, September 2007

Fakey's Puppy Whistle Holder Emeritus 🐶笛

Jun 13, 2017, 12:37:40 PM6/13/17
On Tue, 13 Jun 2017 12:11:07 -0400, LO AND BEHOLD; "Silver Slimer
<s...@im.er>" determined that the following was of great importance and
<t8U%A.16032$Tp7...@fx22.iad>:

>On 2017-06-13 10:44 AM, Me Sham wrote:
>>It also doesn't show games in real 4K either. It uses a checkerboarding
>>gimmick to mimic it. PS4 Pro was a rushed out product done to beat Xbox
>>to the punch.
>
>The games will indeed be 4K but at 30FPS and with lower detail. In
>general, I feel that the gaming world is better off sticking to 1080p
>but that's just me. I'm quite content with that resolution myself.

has anybody ever written a computer game where at the end when you win the user gets a real life hobby like macramé or watch repair and gives up gaming?

DFS

Jun 13, 2017, 1:06:51 PM6/13/17
Kohlmann seems the type that would schedule weekly "berate sessions"
with his children.

Silver Slimer

Jun 13, 2017, 1:14:18 PM6/13/17
Honestly, I was imagining the exact same thing. He probably has them dig
their own grave by hand and lay in it for a few hours just so they know
how he feels on a daily basis.

DFS

Jun 13, 2017, 1:20:44 PM6/13/17
On 6/13/2017 1:14 PM, Silver Slimer wrote:
> On 2017-06-13 1:08 PM, DFS wrote:

>>> I'm glad that Microsoft has been able to provide your miserable
>>> offspring with a temporary distraction from the intolerable fact that
>>> they're related to you.
>>
>> Kohlmann seems the type that would schedule weekly "berate sessions"
>> with his children.
>
> Honestly, I was imagining the exact same thing. He probably has them dig
> their own grave by hand and lay in it for a few hours just so they know
> how he feels on a daily basis.

LOL!

chrisv

Jun 13, 2017, 1:29:20 PM6/13/17
> some dumb fsck wrote:
>>
>> Kohlmann seems the type that would schedule weekly "berate sessions"
>> with his children.

Dumfsck seem the type that would bring his kids to his Klan rally.

--
"heh! In 1988 my car was broken into and cheap stereo was stolen.
The jigaboo who did it shed a filthy nappy hair or two, which I

RonB

Jun 13, 2017, 1:51:10 PM6/13/17
On 2017-06-13, chrisv <chr...@nospam.invalid> wrote:
> vallor wrote:
>
>> The average "frequent game purchaser" is 38 years old.
>
> Because he's buying them for his kids? :)

That's what I was thinking. In my household the frequent game buyers are
well under 38 -- because my kids buy most of their own games.

--
Zero Tolerance for iCultists and WinTrolls

Melzzzzz

Jun 13, 2017, 1:53:10 PM6/13/17
On 2017-06-13, RonB <ronb02...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2017-06-13, chrisv <chr...@nospam.invalid> wrote:
>> vallor wrote:
>>
>>> The average "frequent game purchaser" is 38 years old.
>>
>> Because he's buying them for his kids? :)
>
> That's what I was thinking. In my household the frequent game buyers are
> well under 38 -- because my kids buy most of their own games.

My kid is too young to buy games ;p

chrisv

Jun 13, 2017, 1:55:37 PM6/13/17
RonB wrote:

> chrisv wrote:
>>
>> vallor wrote:
>>>
>>> The average "frequent game purchaser" is 38 years old.
>>
>> Because he's buying them for his kids? :)
>
>That's what I was thinking. In my household the frequent game buyers are
>well under 38 -- because my kids buy most of their own games.

They do prefer to buy the games themselves, once they are old-enough
to buy M-rated games. 8)

--
"What lowlifes like you and the FSF want is to legally force others to
give their work away, if they use yours." - DumFSck, lying

RonB

Jun 13, 2017, 2:07:45 PM6/13/17
On 2017-06-13, Melzzzzz <Melz...@zzzzz.com> wrote:
> On 2017-06-13, RonB <ronb02...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Because he's buying them for his kids? :)
>>
>> That's what I was thinking. In my household the frequent game buyers are
>> well under 38 -- because my kids buy most of their own games.
>>
> My kid is too young to buy games ;p

Mine range from 24 to 10. (And I didn't marry until I was 35, so you know
I'm an old geezer.) The last video game I was good at was Pong. After that I
went back to pinball machines.

Melzzzzz

Jun 13, 2017, 2:10:13 PM6/13/17
On 2017-06-13, RonB <ronb02...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2017-06-13, Melzzzzz <Melz...@zzzzz.com> wrote:

>>> That's what I was thinking. In my household the frequent game buyers are
>>> well under 38 -- because my kids buy most of their own games.
>>>
>> My kid is too young to buy games ;p
>
> Mine range from 24 to 10. (And I didn't marry until I was 35, so you know
> I'm an old geezer.) The last video game I was good at was Pong. After that I
> went back to pinball machines.

I like strategies. Game that you can play and do something else in same
time.

DFS

Jun 13, 2017, 2:12:16 PM6/13/17
Down here in the South, you can't escape from the vile, thieving idiots.

RonB

Jun 13, 2017, 2:19:31 PM6/13/17
On 2017-06-13, Melzzzzz <Melz...@zzzzz.com> wrote:

> I like strategies. Game that you can play and do something else in same
> time.

Yeah, my wife and I worked through Myst together -- I think on the Sega
Saturn that my kids had years ago -- and, recently, I've played a few
"Myst-like" mini-games on an Android tablet (Lost City, Hidden World,
"Something" Manor) that are about my "speed." I've still got the DOS Zork
collection I bought years ago -- the first is in my DosBox directory -- but
I've never been able to work my way even through the first game. (Probably
why all my attempts to learn programming have failed.)

Fakey's Puppy Whistle Holder Emeritus 🐶笛

Jun 13, 2017, 2:53:37 PM6/13/17
On Tue, 13 Jun 2017 14:13:48 -0400, LO AND BEHOLD; "DFS
<nos...@dfs.com>" determined that the following was of great importance
and subsequently decided to freely share it with us in
<ohp9n5$p1s$3...@dont-email.me>:
surely, you mean cops... because i can only think of one group for you to blame for the fact that there are african americans descended from slaves in the south.

Me Sham

Jun 13, 2017, 6:15:44 PM6/13/17
Blacks would steal the piss from your bladder if they could. Best to avoid them and never take your eye off them.

Snit

Jun 13, 2017, 7:55:01 PM6/13/17
On 6/13/17, 3:15 PM, in article
f43943a6-a728-4960...@googlegroups.com, "Me Sham"
<osir...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Blacks would steal the piss from your bladder if they could. Best to avoid
> them and never take your eye off them.

Any races you are not bigoted against?

--
Personal attacks from those who troll show their own insecurity. They cannot
use reason to show the message to be wrong so they try to feel somehow

<https://youtu.be/H4NW-Cqh308>

chrisv

Jun 14, 2017, 9:24:33 AM6/14/17
Silver Slimer wrote:

>The games will indeed be 4K but at 30FPS and with lower detail. In
>general, I feel that the gaming world is better off sticking to 1080p
>but that's just me. I'm quite content with that resolution myself.

1080P is pretty darn good, for games and for video. Of course, silly
people cannot resist the "more is better" fallacy that 4k offers.
Most people would benefit far more by having a physically larger
display, instead of more pixels.

--
"That puts the body count at four (4) and counting: Chris Ahlstrom
(wife) JEDIDIAH (wife) Chrisv (daughter) Peter Kohlmann (son)" -

Silver Slimer

Jun 14, 2017, 9:39:48 AM6/14/17
On 2017-06-14 9:24 AM, chrisv wrote:
> Silver Slimer wrote:
>
>> The games will indeed be 4K but at 30FPS and with lower detail. In
>> general, I feel that the gaming world is better off sticking to 1080p
>> but that's just me. I'm quite content with that resolution myself.
>
> 1080P is pretty darn good, for games and for video. Of course, silly
> people cannot resist the "more is better" fallacy that 4k offers.
> Most people would benefit far more by having a physically larger
> display, instead of more pixels.

I agree there. I don't see how I would enjoy sports more if I saw all of
their pimples or how my game would be any better if the 3D models seemed
more life-like. I'm like Marek in that I have better memories of
ancient, ugly games than I do of realistic 3D ones.

Incubus

Jun 14, 2017, 10:01:33 AM6/14/17
If that's the case, why aren't you playing those games instead?

chrisv

Jun 14, 2017, 10:01:42 AM6/14/17
Silver Slimer wrote:

> chrisv wrote:
>> Silver Slimer wrote:
>>
>>> The games will indeed be 4K but at 30FPS and with lower detail. In
>>> general, I feel that the gaming world is better off sticking to 1080p
>>> but that's just me. I'm quite content with that resolution myself.
>>
>> 1080P is pretty darn good, for games and for video. Of course, silly
>> people cannot resist the "more is better" fallacy that 4k offers.
>> Most people would benefit far more by having a physically larger
>> display, instead of more pixels.
>
>I agree there. I don't see how I would enjoy sports more if I saw all of
>their pimples or how my game would be any better if the 3D models seemed
>more life-like. I'm like Marek in that I have better memories of
>ancient, ugly games than I do of realistic 3D ones.

I'm not against things being life-like, or being able to resolve more
details. My point is that the larger display size is the best path to
things being more life-like, and to being able to resolve more detail.
Increasing pixel-count is a waste, when they are too far away to
resolve.

The most common exeption to the above would be "desktop computing",
where one is sitting *very* close to display, and thus might be able
to resolve the tiny pixels of >2 MP displays.

--
'The funny thing is how many of the false "advocates" jumped up and
down and agreed with Ballmer about the iPhone.' - some thing, lying

Silver Slimer

Jun 14, 2017, 11:14:05 AM6/14/17
On 2017-06-14 10:01 AM, chrisv wrote:
> Silver Slimer wrote:
>
>> chrisv wrote:

>>> 1080P is pretty darn good, for games and for video. Of course, silly
>>> people cannot resist the "more is better" fallacy that 4k offers.
>>> Most people would benefit far more by having a physically larger
>>> display, instead of more pixels.
>>
>> I agree there. I don't see how I would enjoy sports more if I saw all of
>> their pimples or how my game would be any better if the 3D models seemed
>> more life-like. I'm like Marek in that I have better memories of
>> ancient, ugly games than I do of realistic 3D ones.
>
> I'm not against things being life-like, or being able to resolve more
> details. My point is that the larger display size is the best path to
> things being more life-like, and to being able to resolve more detail.
> Increasing pixel-count is a waste, when they are too far away to
> resolve.

In sports games, the realism is a tremendous thing and makes the sport
authentic and therefore a lot more fun to play in video game form.
However, going from 720p to 4k won't make FIFA any better or any form
realistic. The only place where there might be a benefit, IMO, is in the
racing titles. If you want a truly authentic experience, playing from
within the driver's seat and having every detail look identical or
nearly so to what you would see in real life could make it a lot better
but I have trouble imagining that to be the case.

> The most common exeption to the above would be "desktop computing",
> where one is sitting *very* close to display, and thus might be able
> to resolve the tiny pixels of >2 MP displays.

My wife's laptop runs at 3k or something similar if I'm not mistaken and
I can't see the pixels at all. However, everything is set, by default,
to be the same size as they would be if you ran the laptop at 1440x960
or whatever the resolution is and the actual benefit is trivial. Photos
look nicer but that's about it.

DFS

Jun 14, 2017, 11:43:31 AM6/14/17
On 6/13/2017 7:42 AM, Silver Slimer wrote:
> On 2017-06-12 9:36 PM, DFS wrote:

>> http://imgur.com/a/ctkni
>
> I have to admit that I'm not a stranger to images like the one you posted.

100% of Linux users are. Not 90% or 95%. 100%.

Why it worked the next time I booted the DVD is just one of those Linux
mysteries to be featured on "60 Minutes".

fr31...@gmail.com

Jun 14, 2017, 11:49:36 AM6/14/17
On Monday, June 12, 2017 at 6:01:03 PM UTC-4, Silver Slimer wrote:

> So Microsoft ...

Who the fuck cares?

This stupid-fuck post doesn't belong here -- and neither do
the scores of fucking asshole idiots who actually responded
to it.

Chris Ahlstrom

Jun 14, 2017, 12:02:46 PM6/14/17
chrisv wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:

> Silver Slimer wrote:
>
>>The games will indeed be 4K but at 30FPS and with lower detail. In
>>general, I feel that the gaming world is better off sticking to 1080p
>>but that's just me. I'm quite content with that resolution myself.
>
> 1080P is pretty darn good, for games and for video. Of course, silly
> people cannot resist the "more is better" fallacy that 4k offers.
> Most people would benefit far more by having a physically larger
> display, instead of more pixels.

I wish the Co wouldn't buy us these large (24"+) monitors. 1080P is not
quite enough for them.

> --
> "That puts the body count at four (4) and counting: Chris Ahlstrom
> (wife) JEDIDIAH (wife) Chrisv (daughter) Peter Kohlmann (son)" -
> lying asshole "-hh", arguing that having Windows users in our families
> makes us "hypocrites".

LOL -highhorse with that "killer" mentality. What a thick plank!

--
You are fighting for survival in your own sweet and gentle way.

chrisv

Jun 14, 2017, 1:14:27 PM6/14/17
Chris Ahlstrom wrote:

> chrisv wrote:
>>
>> 1080P is pretty darn good, for games and for video. Of course, silly
>> people cannot resist the "more is better" fallacy that 4k offers.
>> Most people would benefit far more by having a physically larger
>> display, instead of more pixels.
>
>I wish the Co wouldn't buy us these large (24"+) monitors. 1080P is not
>quite enough for them.

Yeah, 23" is as large as I would normally recommend, for 1080P
up-close computer use. If someone's vision was not so good, I would
advise larger.

1920x1200 at 24" works well, IMO. It's what I buy for myself.

>> --
>> "That puts the body count at four (4) and counting: Chris Ahlstrom
>> (wife) JEDIDIAH (wife) Chrisv (daughter) Peter Kohlmann (son)" -
>> lying asshole "-hh", arguing that having Windows users in our families
>> makes us "hypocrites".
>
>LOL -highhorse with that "killer" mentality. What a thick plank!

He thinks he's smart, though.

--
'Since Apple did take share from MS, it can be nothing less than an
affront to the Linux "Church" since they're not righteous. Thus,

Chris Ahlstrom

Jun 14, 2017, 1:53:48 PM6/14/17
chrisv wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:

> Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
>
>> chrisv wrote:
>>>
>>> 1080P is pretty darn good, for games and for video. Of course, silly
>>> people cannot resist the "more is better" fallacy that 4k offers.
>>> Most people would benefit far more by having a physically larger
>>> display, instead of more pixels.
>>
>>I wish the Co wouldn't buy us these large (24"+) monitors. 1080P is not
>>quite enough for them.
>
> Yeah, 23" is as large as I would normally recommend, for 1080P
> up-close computer use. If someone's vision was not so good, I would
> advise larger.
>
> 1920x1200 at 24" works well, IMO. It's what I buy for myself.

I've got two new of those here. But I set them both to 1920x1080 to
match the display of the Linux laptop that's driving them, and actually
kind of like the effect, stretches the characters vertically just a tiny
bit.

--
It's a very *__ UN*lucky week in which to be took dead.
-- Churchy La Femme

Silver Slimer

Jun 14, 2017, 3:00:53 PM6/14/17
On 2017-06-14 11:53 AM, Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
> chrisv wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:
>
>> Silver Slimer wrote:
>>
>>> The games will indeed be 4K but at 30FPS and with lower detail. In
>>> general, I feel that the gaming world is better off sticking to 1080p
>>> but that's just me. I'm quite content with that resolution myself.
>>
>> 1080P is pretty darn good, for games and for video. Of course, silly
>> people cannot resist the "more is better" fallacy that 4k offers.
>> Most people would benefit far more by having a physically larger
>> display, instead of more pixels.
>
> I wish the Co wouldn't buy us these large (24"+) monitors. 1080P is not
> quite enough for them.

Depending on the work, I can imagine where having a larger monitor with
a higher resolution could be beneficial. However, games don't really
need three screens full of information to be enjoyed. They're just as
fun on one screen at 1280x720 as they are on three screens at a combined
resolution of 5760x1080.

Me Sham

Jun 14, 2017, 3:17:59 PM6/14/17
Multi monitor gaming is a useless gimmick. You spend hundreds and hundreds of dollars on extra monitors plus the added GPU horsepower needed to drive them just to have monitors on the sides showing peripheral-vision content you'll spend 99.5% of the time not looking at.

chrisv

Jun 14, 2017, 3:30:32 PM6/14/17
Silver Slimer wrote:

>games don't really
>need three screens full of information to be enjoyed. They're just as
>fun on one screen at 1280x720 as they are on three screens at a combined
>resolution of 5760x1080.

Maybe the super-wide format doesn't help so much. I can't say,
because I haven't tried it. However, in general, bigger is better. I
would love to have an Omnimax dome as my game/video system.

--
"Want some more horror stories from Apelanta?" - DumFSck

Silver Slimer

Jun 14, 2017, 3:35:45 PM6/14/17
On 2017-06-14 3:17 PM, Me Sham wrote:
> Multi monitor gaming is a useless gimmick. You spend hundreds and hundreds of dollars on extra monitors plus the added GPU horsepower needed to drive them just to have monitors on the sides showing peripheral-vision content you'll spend 99.5% of the time not looking at.

I can imagine that for a flight simulator or a racing game, it's pretty
awesome but I don't have any desire to do it myself for the reason you
mentioned. The GPU needed to do such a thing does not make it worthwhile
at all.

Silver Slimer

Jun 14, 2017, 5:59:46 PM6/14/17
On 2017-06-14 3:30 PM, chrisv wrote:
> Silver Slimer wrote:
>
>> games don't really
>> need three screens full of information to be enjoyed. They're just as
>> fun on one screen at 1280x720 as they are on three screens at a combined
>> resolution of 5760x1080.
>
> Maybe the super-wide format doesn't help so much. I can't say,
> because I haven't tried it. However, in general, bigger is better. I
> would love to have an Omnimax dome as my game/video system.

I use a 50" TV to play FIFA 17. Meanwhile, I could just as easily play
on my 17" laptop and not miss a beat. To me, these big screens are
overrated and I prefer the intimacy of a personal computer.

DFS

Jun 23, 2017, 8:05:57 PM6/23/17
The deathmatches with a friend (via modem) were probably the best time I
had with early games. Doom, Heretic, Hexen and Rise of the Triad were
the ones we played.

I have a great memory of one instance in Hexen (maybe Heretic, whichever
had the 'porkalator'):

I snuck up on my friend (who was standing on a balcony overlooking a
courtyard, waiting to snipe/attack), hit him with the porkalator, and
before he could react and run away I hit him with the ice wand. That
turned him into a little frozen, blue pig. ha! Totally helpless - he
couldn't move at all. Then I walked up to him and pushed him over the
edge and he dropped to the ground and shattered into pieces.

Hilarious!

Silver Slimer

Jun 24, 2017, 10:07:00 AM6/24/17
I used to love playing with a friend over a modem. The girl I hung out
with in CEGEP loved to play Warcraft II for instance which made her
even hotter to me. But I digress...

The greatest innovation in online play though was Xbox Live. Even
though the PC technically allowed you to do everything that Xbox Live
allowed, the problem was that firewalls and other obstacles came
around to ruin with the experience. Xbox Live was the first platform
which made connectivity with friends and strangers extremely easy and
it's not a coincidence that everyone sought to emulate it. It remains
the best platform IMO and hopefully, people can give credit to
Microsoft for coming up with it.

--
Silver Slimer
EFF & OpenMedia member,