Did you notice ...

Joel

Oct 6, 2021, 10:29:08 AM10/6/21
Obviously, new hardware that comes with Windows 11 is beginning to be
available, and Microsoft always says that that's the best way to get
their OS, preinstalled on hardware. But then there are people in the
upper percentiles, like us, who might well want to buy Windows as a
product on its own. Well, no matter where you do so, you'll still be
buying Win10 and upgrading it if you desire 11.

It's true on microsoft.com, it's true on Amazon, Newegg
and Micro Center. They really want you to be a "seeker" to get this
groundbreaking (heh) "new" version.

--
Joel Crump

Joel

Oct 6, 2021, 12:11:30 PM10/6/21
It occurs to me that it may be that the Win11 installer would accept a
product key for 10 (for a clean installation). Still seems like they
want to emphasize their continued support for 10, though.

--
Joel Crump

Stéphane CARPENTIER

Oct 8, 2021, 5:07:11 PM10/8/21
Le 06-10-2021, Joel <joel...@gmail.com> a écrit :
> Obviously, new hardware that comes with Windows 11 is beginning to be
> available, and Microsoft always says that that's the best way to get
> their OS, preinstalled on hardware.

It's like that since a very long time. Welcome in the real world.

> But then there are people in the upper percentiles,

Those people don't matter. They want to buy Microsoft products they get
it full. They get what they want and what they paid for. When I say Bill
GATES is an asshole you disagree and say he's a good man. So make your
choice and go with it.

> like us,

You're on cola here, so you are speaking for you and for a very few. Not
the majority of people you imply.

> who might well want to buy Windows as a product on its own.

What people want don't count, it's want Bill GATES want which is
important. The people pay for the product and they don't matter. They
choose to buy Microsoft products, so it's Microsoft's rules. It not free
world it's Microsoft world. You pay for it, you get all of it.

> Well, no matter where you do so, you'll still be buying Win10 and
> upgrading it if you desire 11.

Again, there's nothing new. It's good, you asked for it, you paid for
it, you get it.

> It's true on microsoft.com, it's true on Amazon, Newegg and Micro
> Center. They really want you to be a "seeker" to get this
> groundbreaking (heh) "new" version.

Welcome in the real world.

--
Si vous avez du temps à perdre :
https://scarpet42.gitlab.io

Joel

Oct 8, 2021, 6:15:48 PM10/8/21
Stéphane CARPENTIER <s...@fiat-linux.fr> wrote:

>> But then there are people in the upper percentiles,
>
>Those people don't matter. They want to buy Microsoft products they get
>it full. They get what they want and what they paid for. When I say Bill
>GATES is an asshole you disagree and say he's a good man. So make your
>choice and go with it.
>
>> like us,
>
>You're on cola here, so you are speaking for you and for a very few. Not
>the majority of people you imply.
>
>> who might well want to buy Windows as a product on its own.
>
>What people want don't count, it's want Bill GATES want which is
>important. The people pay for the product and they don't matter. They
>choose to buy Microsoft products, so it's Microsoft's rules. It not free
>world it's Microsoft world. You pay for it, you get all of it.

People who advocate Linux, including me, do sometimes run Windows, or,
even, run it primarily. I could boot Linux in a New York minute on my
old computer, which I still have.

--
Joel Crump

Steve - frelwizen

Oct 8, 2021, 7:34:03 PM10/8/21
Taking effort perhaps learning isn't a waste. Thinking you know more than
everyone else and taking it on yourself to convince Snit that it is true?
That is a waste ;)

In fact -hh's lies were quoted time and time again. So of course I regret
being kind to -hh. While I am sure his shills liked it, being nice to
him made things worse. The clam engine had a false negative hit, and the
GUI clamXav reported what the engine which can't created by the same fools
or company reported it. Why do you think Snit is trying to cover for -
hh? Even he sees his BS. He can't comment on any of the stuff I quote
because he sees it's true. My uptime is almost fifty-one days and that
is with doing a full update.

--
My Snoring Solution!
https://telestreamforum.forumbee.com/t/80f78a/youtube-uploads-should-

Stéphane CARPENTIER

Oct 9, 2021, 6:37:08 AM10/9/21
Le 08-10-2021, Joel <joel...@gmail.com> a écrit :
> Stéphane CARPENTIER <s...@fiat-linux.fr> wrote:
>
>>> But then there are people in the upper percentiles,
>>
>>Those people don't matter. They want to buy Microsoft products they get
>>it full. They get what they want and what they paid for. When I say Bill
>>GATES is an asshole you disagree and say he's a good man. So make your
>>choice and go with it.
>>
>>> like us,
>>
>>You're on cola here, so you are speaking for you and for a very few. Not
>>the majority of people you imply.
>>
>>> who might well want to buy Windows as a product on its own.
>>
>>What people want don't count, it's want Bill GATES want which is
>>important. The people pay for the product and they don't matter. They
>>choose to buy Microsoft products, so it's Microsoft's rules. It not free
>>world it's Microsoft world. You pay for it, you get all of it.
>

> People who advocate Linux, including me, do sometimes run Windows, or,

I know, I do at work. But in this case I don't care about the licenses
rules because it's my employer who has to deal with it. I don't ware for
the way Windows is installed for the same reason. They give me a
computer with everything installed on it and if something's wrong, my
employer has to fix it.

> even, run it primarily. I could boot Linux in a New York minute on my
> old computer, which I still have.

You do what you want, I don't try to make you stop using Windows. But
just stop whining about Microsoft's policy when you choose to use their
products and when you defend Bill GATES.

Steve Carroll

Oct 9, 2021, 8:52:50 AM10/9/21
Off Shadow goes to the accommodations in the overfull cesspit of my rubbish
bin. Believe it or not, just recently he was declaring himself the only
"true Linux advocate", and claiming that "advocates" (in irony-quotes)
are focusing on Windows more than on Linux.

Hint: You can't go into a meet and greet, knock back all the hooch, pound
all the boys, steal the bibles and puke in the privy without being told
to leave. Shadow is a paranoid idiot who regularly claims anyone who disagrees
with Nospam to be a sock and, somehow, he needs us to believe that is
reasonable. Gotta be crack. We're all sorry Shadow's a paranoid, narcissistic,
delusional liar but that's not gonna change anything ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. Real posters
will leave once those of us here before the eternal September are outnumbered.
That and there will repeatedly be a snit thrower or more in an open usenet
group. The current tantrum aside, we have all seen who frequently gets
enraged when he doesn't get anyone to shill for him.

--
E-commerce Simplified
https://redd.it/6sfhq6

Joel

Oct 9, 2021, 1:21:10 PM10/9/21
Stéphane CARPENTIER <s...@fiat-linux.fr> wrote:

>> People who advocate Linux, including me, do sometimes run Windows, or,
>
>I know, I do at work. But in this case I don't care about the licenses
>rules because it's my employer who has to deal with it. I don't ware for
>the way Windows is installed for the same reason. They give me a
>computer with everything installed on it and if something's wrong, my
>employer has to fix it.

I'm not concerned about the licensing of Windows at all. My copy of
Win11 is fully activated, and if I really wanted to, I could put Win10
back on.

>> even, run it primarily. I could boot Linux in a New York minute on my
>> old computer, which I still have.
>
>You do what you want, I don't try to make you stop using Windows. But
>just stop whining about Microsoft's policy when you choose to use their
>products and when you defend Bill GATES.

I'm not whining. They have not taken away my choice - I am
consciously choosing to put up with Win11's faults rather than give up
the advantages of running the latest and greatest version.

--
Joel Crump

RabidHussar

Oct 9, 2021, 1:42:54 PM10/9/21
On 2021-10-09 1:21 p.m., Joel wrote:
> Stéphane CARPENTIER <s...@fiat-linux.fr> wrote:
>
>>> People who advocate Linux, including me, do sometimes run Windows, or,
>>
>> I know, I do at work. But in this case I don't care about the licenses
>> rules because it's my employer who has to deal with it. I don't ware for
>> the way Windows is installed for the same reason. They give me a
>> computer with everything installed on it and if something's wrong, my
>> employer has to fix it.
>
> I'm not concerned about the licensing of Windows at all. My copy of
> Win11 is fully activated, and if I really wanted to, I could put Win10
> back on.

Is your copy of Windows 11 fully vaccinated though? If not, it will get
COVID and only has a 99.99% chance of returning to a functional state.

>>> even, run it primarily. I could boot Linux in a New York minute on my
>>> old computer, which I still have.
>>
>> You do what you want, I don't try to make you stop using Windows. But
>> just stop whining about Microsoft's policy when you choose to use their
>> products and when you defend Bill GATES.
>
> I'm not whining. They have not taken away my choice - I am
> consciously choosing to put up with Win11's faults rather than give up
> the advantages of running the latest and greatest version.

+1

--
@RabidHussar
Happy to shove that vaccine of yours up your ass

Joel

Oct 9, 2021, 2:11:02 PM10/9/21
RabidHussar <ra...@huss.ar> wrote:

>> They [Microsoft] have not taken away my choice - I am
>> consciously choosing to put up with Win11's faults rather than give up
>> the advantages of running the latest and greatest version.
>
>+1

I actually like the visual change, and there really isn't anything the
new version prevents me from doing.

--
Joel Crump

RabidHussar

Oct 9, 2021, 2:32:24 PM10/9/21
It's good and it's only going to get better when they fix the issue with
AMD processors. Even the Chat program is appealing in that it is simple,
responsive and well integrated with the rest of the Microsoft software.
I also like Task View which I've set up to work with a middle click on
my mouse.

It's clear that much of this is not "new" in a sense if you're been
using Linux for years because much of what we see in Windows 11 has been
done by Linux desktop environments in one way or another. However, with
Windows 11, it's seamless and polished.

Joel

Oct 9, 2021, 2:36:39 PM10/9/21
RabidHussar <ra...@huss.ar> wrote:

>> I actually like the visual change, and there really isn't anything the
>> new version prevents me from doing.
>
>It's good and it's only going to get better when they fix the issue with
>AMD processors. Even the Chat program is appealing in that it is simple,
>responsive and well integrated with the rest of the Microsoft software.
>I also like Task View which I've set up to work with a middle click on
>my mouse.
>
>It's clear that much of this is not "new" in a sense if you're been
>using Linux for years because much of what we see in Windows 11 has been
>done by Linux desktop environments in one way or another. However, with
>Windows 11, it's seamless and polished.

I actually have my taskbar set up like it was in Win10, Start and apps
on the left, search and extra buttons hidden.

--
Joel Crump

Dick_Holder

Oct 9, 2021, 2:37:30 PM10/9/21
On Sat, 09 Oct 2021 14:10:59 -0400, Joel, typed
Easiest way to install Windows 11

https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/cty/pdp/spd/alienware-m15-r6-laptop/wnr6m15fclzs

--
End of buffer

Joel

Oct 9, 2021, 2:52:12 PM10/9/21
Dick_Holder <dick_...@man.invalid> wrote:

>Easiest way to install Windows 11
>
>https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/cty/pdp/spd/alienware-m15-r6-laptop/wnr6m15fclzs

Yeah, that'd do the trick (and thanks for the porn), but it was very
easy for me. The only thing I had to do to prepare for the update was
turn on TPM in the UEFI setup.

--
Joel Crump

Stéphane CARPENTIER

Oct 10, 2021, 9:21:54 AM10/10/21
I'd say it means everything changed and I will have to learn everything
again to find what I need. It's one of the things I hate with mice
driven graphical interfaces. Everything change each new version and I
have to find everything again.

RonB

Oct 12, 2021, 7:59:56 AM10/12/21
So they got rid of the insidious Registry file... finally?

--
Imagine a vaccine so "safe" you have to be threatened to take it...
For a disease so "deadly" you have to be tested to know you have it.

"Women are women and men are men, if you neuter a rooster he's a
capon not a hen."

RonB

Oct 12, 2021, 8:02:57 AM10/12/21
On 2021-10-09, RabidHussar <ra...@huss.ar> wrote:

>>> +1
>>

>> I actually like the visual change, and there really isn't anything the
>> new version prevents me from doing.

If you like Windows new desktop you'll love Chromebook's old desktop! More
"innovative imitation" from Microsoft.

> It's good and it's only going to get better when they fix the issue with
> AMD processors. Even the Chat program is appealing in that it is simple,
> responsive and well integrated with the rest of the Microsoft software.
> I also like Task View which I've set up to work with a middle click on
> my mouse.
>
> It's clear that much of this is not "new" in a sense if you're been
> using Linux for years because much of what we see in Windows 11 has been
> done by Linux desktop environments in one way or another. However, with
> Windows 11, it's seamless and polished.

Unfortunately it's still Windows. Putting lipstick on a pig doesn't make it
prettier... or work better.

RonB

Oct 12, 2021, 8:04:58 AM10/12/21
So just pay $2,800 for hobbyware? Enjoy it. Zero interest.

RonB

Oct 12, 2021, 8:06:19 AM10/12/21
But I bet it still throws BSODs — so at least SOMETHING stays the same!

rbowman

Oct 12, 2021, 10:04:56 AM10/12/21
On 10/12/2021 06:06 AM, RonB wrote:
> On 2021-10-10, Stéphane CARPENTIER <s...@fiat-linux.fr> wrote:

>>> I actually like the visual change, and there really isn't anything the
>>> new version prevents me from doing.
>>
>> I'd say it means everything changed and I will have to learn everything
>> again to find what I need. It's one of the things I hate with mice
>> driven graphical interfaces. Everything change each new version and I
>> have to find everything again.
>
> But I bet it still throws BSODs — so at least SOMETHING stays the same!

That's been updated. It's a black screen.

RonB

Oct 12, 2021, 11:56:33 AM10/12/21
I stand corrected. :)

Dick_Holder

Oct 12, 2021, 5:32:26 PM10/12/21
On Tue, 12 Oct 2021 12:04:56 -0000 (UTC), RonB, typed
> On 2021-10-09, Dick_Holder <dick_...@man.invalid> wrote:

>>> I actually like the visual change, and there really isn't anything the
>>> new version prevents me from doing.
>>
>> Easiest way to install Windows 11
>>
>> https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/cty/pdp/spd/alienware-m15-r6-laptop/wnr6m15fclzs
>
> So just pay $2,800 for hobbyware? Enjoy it. Zero interest.

You're paying for a gaming laptop.
Less than you pay for tin-foil hats in a year.

--
End of buffer

Branimir Maksimovic

Oct 12, 2021, 5:39:54 PM10/12/21
Well, MacBook M1 is cheaper and doesn't overheat :P

--

7-77-777
Evil Sinner!

Joel

Oct 12, 2021, 5:41:59 PM10/12/21
Does that Mac have dual 1 TB SSDs? 32 GB RAM?

--
Joel Crump

Dick_Holder

Oct 12, 2021, 5:56:15 PM10/12/21
On Tue, 12 Oct 2021 21:39:52 GMT, Branimir Maksimovic, typed
If you can't smell hot metal, your not playing hard enough :)

I'm actually getting the one that's ~$1900, i711800, rtx3060, 16GBram,
240Hz display.
I really don't game a lot, but want a laptop that can when I do.

--
End of buffer

Joel

Oct 12, 2021, 5:59:01 PM10/12/21
Dick_Holder <dick_...@man.invalid> wrote:
>On Tue, 12 Oct 2021 21:39:52 GMT, Branimir Maksimovic, typed
>>>
>> Well, MacBook M1 is cheaper and doesn't overheat :P
>
>If you can't smell hot metal, your not playing hard enough :)
>
>I'm actually getting the one that's ~$1900, i711800, rtx3060, 16GBram,
>240Hz display.
>I really don't game a lot, but want a laptop that can when I do.

Nice.

--
Joel Crump

Branimir Maksimovic

Oct 12, 2021, 7:48:02 PM10/12/21
You don't need that much on M1. It works like you have
64GB :P
SSD wise just attach external drives :P

Joel

Oct 12, 2021, 7:52:11 PM10/12/21
Branimir Maksimovic <branimir....@icloud.com> wrote:

>>>Well, MacBook M1 is cheaper [than a high-end Alienware laptop] and doesn't overheat :P
>>
>> Does that Mac have dual 1 TB SSDs? 32 GB RAM?
>>
>You don't need that much on M1. It works like you have
>64GB :P
>SSD wise just attach external drives :P

In other words, Apple does not *HAVE* a gaming laptop *AT ALL*.

Dell and Microsoft do.

--
Joel Crump

Branimir Maksimovic

Oct 12, 2021, 9:11:54 PM10/12/21
On 2021-10-12, Joel <joel...@gmail.com> wrote:
Apple is at least 10 years ahead of that *junk* :p

rbowman

Oct 12, 2021, 11:15:54 PM10/12/21
16GB ain't what it used to be... I'm running an Angular app with ng
serve which isn't very efficient, but between that SQL Express, VS Code,
Visual Studio 2019, and Brave I can bump 15.7.

RonB

Oct 13, 2021, 1:17:02 AM10/13/21
On 2021-10-12, Dick_Holder <dick_...@man.invalid> wrote:
I guess you were looking in a mirror, admiring your stylish new tinfoil hat,
when you typed that.

Yeah, believe it or not, I figured out that the gaming computer came with
Windows 11.

Still zero interest. The last video game I was really interested in was
Pong.

Dick_Holder

Oct 13, 2021, 4:47:37 AM10/13/21
On Tue, 12 Oct 2021 21:15:50 -0600, rbowman, typed
I can upgrade the RAM if needed, will likely add a second internal disk
drive too. The Dell G-series are almost as expensive, and the XPS line
has minimal ports or everything is welded in.

I know a lot of people don't like Dells, but I've always had good luck
with them. I still have an XPS 600 that runs, runs Linux, The Pentium D
and 2GB ram don't do Windows too well ;)

--
End of buffer

RabidHussar

Oct 13, 2021, 7:54:28 AM10/13/21
Honestly, I have to agree with Branimir here. Anyone who is sick of
hearing the sound of their fans owes it to themselves to at least
consider the M1-based computers.

--
@RabidHussar

rbowman

Oct 13, 2021, 9:47:25 AM10/13/21
On 10/13/2021 02:47 AM, Dick_Holder wrote:
> I know a lot of people don't like Dells, but I've always had good luck
> with them. I still have an XPS 600 that runs, runs Linux, The Pentium D
> and 2GB ram don't do Windows too well ;)

My home Linux box is a Dell. In theory it's a dual boot with Windows 7
but 7 hasn't seen the light of day since 2015. Most of the boxes at work
are Dell. There have been few problems. The Win 7 generation was retired
and replaced with new Dell Win 10 installs. I installed Ubuntu on one of
the wiped 7 boxes to replace my 2011. The old Linux box didn't have
problems but the Ubuntu was from 2011 too. I figured I go for a better
machine when upgrading Ubuntu.

Steve - frelwizer

Oct 13, 2021, 10:22:56 AM10/13/21
Peeler pretends that he uses Linux, while actually he never used it on anything
but an emulator and honesty tried it.

I often squash Peeler with my brain. They suggest searching for a recommendation
for an open source application is instigating.

Frankly I do not really mind. My view is beyond your understanding. You
do realize that the massive floods ending up in multiple groups started out
when Peeler was quoted lying.

--
This Trick Gets Women Hot For You!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhOfBmWwCVY

RonB

Oct 13, 2021, 4:29:14 PM10/13/21
For those of use who don't play games or use Microsoft Office, the cheapest
way to get long-battery life and a fanless laptop is to buy a Chromebook and
use Crostini. Works well. (Yeah, I know it's not high-end, but I don't need
high-end.)

Stéphane CARPENTIER

Oct 16, 2021, 8:24:25 AM10/16/21
Le 12-10-2021, RonB <ronb02...@gmail.com> a écrit :

> But I bet it still throws BSODs — so at least SOMETHING stays the same!

Windows really improved on the BSOD side. I see some frm time to time,
but really not as often as some years ago.

Stéphane CARPENTIER

Oct 16, 2021, 8:25:49 AM10/16/21
The last one I saw on a Windows 10 was blue with a very big white smiley.

STALKING_TARGET_19

Oct 16, 2021, 9:10:36 AM10/16/21
Until -hh offers up his 'more advanced' electronics system for testing,
there is no competition, just irrational assertions.

Already moved on from that. Keep up!

Nobody who isn't just using you for criminal purposes (isn't a sock/shill)
sees you as anything remotely close to honorable. You have nobody but
yourself to credit for that.

--
Top Six Ways -hh Trolls
https://www.bing.com/search?q=Dustin+Cook%3A+functional+illiterate+fraud

RabidHussar

Oct 16, 2021, 9:38:33 AM10/16/21
On 2021-10-16 8:24 a.m., Stéphane CARPENTIER wrote:
> Le 12-10-2021, RonB <ronb02...@gmail.com> a écrit :
>>
>> But I bet it still throws BSODs — so at least SOMETHING stays the same!
>
> Windows really improved on the BSOD side. I see some frm time to time,
> but really not as often as some years ago.

It's pretty rare nowadays and if it happens, you can find the source and
solution fairly quickly.

--
@RabidHussar
Happy to shove that vaccine of yours up your ass

liamhardshell

Oct 16, 2021, 9:53:16 AM10/16/21
On 2021-10-16, RabidHussar <ra...@huss.ar> wrote:
> On 2021-10-16 8:24 a.m., Stéphane CARPENTIER wrote:
>> Le 12-10-2021, RonB <ronb02...@gmail.com> a écrit :
>>>
>>> But I bet it still throws BSODs — so at least SOMETHING stays the same!
>>
>> Windows really improved on the BSOD side. I see some frm time to time,
>> but really not as often as some years ago.
>
> It's pretty rare nowadays and if it happens, you can find the source and
> solution fairly quickly.

Use a program like this one and it's easy to determine at least the
general area as to what went wrong.

https://www.resplendence.com/whocrashed

--
Liam

Dustin Cook

Oct 16, 2021, 1:43:22 PM10/16/21
http://web.archive.org/web/20210414021502if_/https://ibb.co/vQ4M1sX

Nobody is being controlled by William Poaster.

It was Snit sock Prescott Computer Guy who forged me and bragged about
it. Why would you understand me if you believe there's a possibility that
I use socks? That sincerely make you want to take the red pill? This is
the current 'ideal' by those calling themselves 'leftists', you must 'acquit'
yourself, you are no longer presumed innocent, you're tossed away until
you prove a negative... a thing that isn't possible in this story. Snit
sock Prescott Computer Guy is trying (with "all they have") to project
their crap onto William Poaster. For some time Snit sock Prescott Computer
Guy has bulldozed the idea that William Poaster needs 'witnesses' to point
out all his BS. The fact is that no one needs any evidence to do that.
So Snit sock Prescott Computer Guy pulls this absurd ad hominem garbage
in a sickly bid to 'sell' the idea that William Poaster is like he is.

--
"You'll notice how quickly he loses interest when everything is about
him. He clearly wants the attention"

DFS

Feb 9, 2022, 11:34:30 AM2/9/22
On 10/8/2021 5:07 PM, Stéphane CARPENTIER wrote:
> Le 06-10-2021, Joel <joel...@gmail.com> a écrit :

> When I say Bill GATES is an asshole you disagree and say he's a good man.

Aside from banging an MS employee on the side years ago, he is a good
man. He's using his enormous wealth very responsibly.

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/focusing-my-time-bill-gates/