[News] McDonalds Exposes Windows Users to Trouble

Roy Schestowitz

Oct 16, 2006, 10:03:36 AM10/16/06
Spyware infection prompts McDonalds MP3 recall

,----[ Quote ]
| Users who connected the McDonalds-branded MP3 player to their
| Windows PC were exposed to spyware code programmed to transmit
| their web passwords and other sensitive information to hackers.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/10/16/mcd_spyware_mp3_recall/

Yet another reason to abandon Windows and upgrade to Linux...

JDS

Oct 16, 2006, 11:23:26 AM10/16/06
On Mon, 16 Oct 2006 07:03:36 -0700, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> McDonalds-branded MP3 player

Am I the only one who laughed out load at this phrase?
--
JDS

BearItAll

Oct 16, 2006, 11:36:02 AM10/16/06
Roy Schestowitz wrote:

I would have said a good reason to abandom McDonalds.

I've done that anyway, but only because their burgers gave me the runs and
those sandwiches they do now turn into mush in your hands, oh and cooked
lettuce, who in their right mind would cook lettuce, it tastes horrible.

But spying on their customers, that must be another good reason to dump
(sorry for the pun) them in favour of some other fast food place.

Roy Schestowitz

Oct 16, 2006, 11:51:37 AM10/16/06
__/ [ BearItAll ] on Monday 16 October 2006 16:36 \__

I suspect they either got paid to sneak in those players...

OR

They got these dirt-cheap (maybe for free distribution) _for a reason_

Best wishes,

Roy

PS - I never McDonald either, unless it's a family thing where I must 'blend
in'. Blend... you know, like the cows. *shudder*

Mark Kent

Oct 16, 2006, 12:14:40 PM10/16/06
begin oe_protect.scr
BearItAll <sp...@rassler.co.uk> espoused:

Did you know that they bought pret-a-manger? You'll see if you look at
pret that their original approach of quality food has disappeared, and
been replaced with something which looks so much like McDonalds it's
amazing. I don't use pret any more.

Of course you can't flap your arms and fly to the moon. After a while you'd
run out of air to push against.

Oliver Wong

Oct 16, 2006, 12:56:21 PM10/16/06
"BearItAll" <sp...@rassler.co.uk> wrote in message

> who in their right mind would cook lettuce, it tastes horrible.

Cooked lettuce usually appears in Yakisoba, a Japanese dish which I find
to be quite delicious: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yakisoba

- Oliver

ed

Oct 16, 2006, 2:02:39 PM10/16/06
On 16 Oct 2006 07:03:36 -0700
"Roy Schestowitz" <newsg...@schestowitz.com> wrote:

and not to be a salad dodger ...

--
Regards, Ed :: http://s5h.net/qf
just another c++ hacker

Erik Funkenbusch

Oct 16, 2006, 6:35:19 PM10/16/06

What a shallow attempt to make your Microsoft bias into a Linux advocacy
post.

Roy Schestowitz

Oct 16, 2006, 9:05:59 AM10/16/06

Erik Funkenbusch

Oct 17, 2006, 12:55:47 PM10/17/06

Why are you posting the same stories many times?

Jerry McBride

Oct 21, 2006, 1:59:28 PM10/21/06
Erik Funkenbusch wrote:

Hey Roy... I missed the original post.. would you do me a favor and put it
up again?

--

Jerry McBride

Roy Schestowitz

Oct 21, 2006, 2:11:57 PM10/21/06

I'm temporarily on G2 *frown*.

http://tinyurl.com/yep4mu

Tim Smith

Oct 21, 2006, 11:43:35 PM10/21/06
In article <vo3q04x...@supertux.my.domain>,

Jerry McBride <mcbr...@comcast.net> wrote:
> Hey Roy... I missed the original post.. would you do me a favor and put it
> up again?

Too dumb to figure out Google, eh?

--
--Tim Smith

nrbal...@yahoo.com

Oct 22, 2006, 1:26:34 AM10/22/06

There have been two incidents of this type over the past week. The
fact that Windows can be compromised by a USB device is both silly and
pathetic, and it would be a sympathetic understatement to say that
occurences of this type don't happen very often to Linux users.

Mark Kent

Oct 22, 2006, 3:45:50 AM10/22/06
begin oe_protect.scr
Jerry McBride <mcbr...@comcast.net> espoused:

This was the Register story, though, although I'm sure it was covered by
many other sites - it's such a disaster from both a Customer and a
McDonalds viewpoint, it's really not surprising that it should get such
wide coverage.

Of course, those people using the MP3 player with a linux PC would have
been absolutely fine. Much improved security is easy to get, you just
need to look in the right places. Install Linux!

I'll show you MY telex number if you show me YOURS ...

Hadron Quark

Oct 22, 2006, 4:37:04 AM10/22/06
nrbal...@yahoo.com writes:

Actually its piss simple : just boot most Linux peoples via the
unprotected "fail safe" option. People forget all the time time to
secure grub.

--
You are a vile asshole, flatfish. : Peter Köhlmann, COLA.