I am unable to resolve gmail.google.com when other´s can, why?

Iván C. Filpo

Mar 1, 2005, 7:06:33 PM3/1/05
I have a Dlink 604 router which connects two computers to the internet.
One of them is always able to resolve any hosts and the other often,
latetly, is not able to resolve certain addresses like gmail.google.com

I am also unable to ping gmail.google.com, but I am able to resolve the
ip and connect using telnet gmail.google.com 80.

I am using firefox 1.0 and thought that might be a bug, but, also, I
tried links in the console and no difference.

Someone told me that this had happened to him before on irc.linux.org
#linux and that it was related to the MTU setting which when i checked
was already to the maximum, 1500, in both my NIC and router.

As I said earlier, I can always go to the other computer and access
this websites.

Any ideas would be appreciated, thanks

Iván C. Filpo

mjt

Mar 1, 2005, 9:51:29 PM3/1/05
On 1 Mar 2005 16:06:33 -0800

"Iván C. Filpo" <ivan....@gmail.com> wrote:

> I am also unable to ping gmail.google.com, but I am able to resolve the
> ip and connect using telnet gmail.google.com 80.

... i use https://www.gmail.com/

There's nothing very mysterious about you, except that
nobody really knows your origin, purpose, or destination.

Lord0

Mar 2, 2005, 12:22:36 PM3/2/05
I have a Dlink 604 router which connects two computers to the internet.
One of them is always able to resolve any hosts and the other often,
latetly, is not able to resolve certain addresses like gmail.google.com

>> Do the two computers attempt to use the same DNS servers as this sounds
>> to me like a DNS issue. Could it be that they are set to use different
>> DNS?

I am also unable to ping gmail.google.com, but I am able to resolve the
ip and connect using telnet gmail.google.com 80.

>> Again if you can resolve the ip but not the url I start to think DNS

Lord0

Iván C. Filpo

Mar 2, 2005, 12:32:46 PM3/2/05
The problem was not with the DNS because both computers were able to
resolve any website that came to my mind, except the one giving me the
problem that could not resolve gmail.google.com exclusively.

Somehow, I fixed the problem by modifying /etc/hosts. In this file, I
hade 4 different entries for 127.0.0.1 which was also the only entry.

The entry looked like:
127.0.0.1 locahost.localdomain localhost icafilma.com icafilma

I questioned the number of entries and thought that could be the
problem so I changed the line to just:
127.0.0.1 icafilma.com icafilma
And now it works. I was looking for a maximum number of hosts that
could be use per any ip and did not find anything so still does not
make sense. Probably it was just a coincidence.
Thanks,
Iván.

Lord0

Mar 2, 2005, 12:42:40 PM3/2/05
I questioned the number of entries and thought that could be the
problem so I changed the line to just:
127.0.0.1 icafilma.com icafilma

I'm no *nix expert but I'd be would've thought that removing localhost from
/etc/hosts would be asking for trouble somewhere down the line. Glad you got
it sorted tho'

Lord0

Phill Macey

Mar 17, 2005, 8:55:27 PM3/17/05

I would have to agree... I think you need to have a localhost entry in
/etc/hosts

it is the icafilma.com and icafilma entries that look sus to me...
normally it would just be localhost