Geoworks 2.01 and Networks

Markus Klama

Sep 18, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/18/95
Hello everybody,

I've been using Geoworks 1.2 some long time ago. Now I want to
reactivate that software. I would like to upgrade, but before I do tha
I would like to get some questions answered:

1. Is the current release of Geoworks capable of working with network
drives?

2. Can I run Geoworks using an EGA video adapter?

If someone can answer these questions, I would be very pleased.

Markus Klama

10011...@compuserve.com

--
Markus Klama

10011...@compuserve.com

CELTIC01

Sep 18, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/18/95

1. Is the current release of Geoworks capable of working with network
drives?

2. Can I run Geoworks using an EGA video adapter?
<<<<

Yes, to both questions. What are you planning to run under?

Torsten Czysz

Sep 19, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/19/95
In article <43kmfl$290$1...@mhadf.production.compuserve.com>, Markus Klama <10011...@CompuServe.COM> writes:
> Hello everybody,
>

> I've been using Geoworks 1.2 some long time ago. Now I want to
> reactivate that software. I would like to upgrade, but before I do tha
> I would like to get some questions answered:
>
> 1. Is the current release of Geoworks capable of working with network
> drives?

The answer is: "Yes, but..."

You can use Geoworks 2.01 in a network, I have tried it with Novell 3.12 and
it is working quiet fine. You can redirect printer output to network printers,
access network volumes, and it can also be installed on a network drive.
But you must keep in mind that Geoworks 2.01 is
a single-user program, i.e. it uses files exclusively and cannot share them
with other programs running. For this reason you
have to install one copy of geoworks for each workstation, you want to work at
with geoworks, either in different directories on the server or on a local
disk. And it is neither possible for multiple users to access a document
or any other data stuff at the same time. Another problem is, that you
cannot change the default document directory (It is the directory DOCUMENT
in the directory where you installed the copy of geoworks and you might
want to use one directory for all copies of Geoworks running to keep a common
pool of letters or databases etc.) which is proposed each time when loading
or saving a file for the first time of a Geoworks session, so you have to
make your way through the directory tree by hand once a session.

> 2. Can I run Geoworks using an EGA video adapter?

Hmmm, I am not quiet sure at the moment, but I think there was an EGA driver
in the video setup.

> If someone can answer these questions, I would be very pleased.
>

> Markus Klama
>
> 10011...@compuserve.com

Torsten Czysz

Philip Hurley

Sep 19, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/19/95
In article <43mgo6$s...@ra.ibr.cs.tu-bs.de> cz...@nst.ing.tu-bs.de (Torsten
Czysz) writes:
>In article <43kmfl$290$1...@mhadf.production.compuserve.com>, Markus Klama <
10011...@CompuServe.COM> writes:>> Hello everybody,
[...deletia...]

>or any other data stuff at the same time. Another problem is, that you
>cannot change the default document directory (It is the directory DOCUMENT
>in the directory where you installed the copy of geoworks and you might
>want to use one directory for all copies of Geoworks running to keep a common
>pool of letters or databases etc.) which is proposed each time when loading
>or saving a file for the first time of a Geoworks session, so you have to
>make your way through the directory tree by hand once a session.

While this is true, with merged directories, people could share a common
\GEOS20\DOCUMENT directory on the network, couldn't they?

Philip Hurley | Aww... I coulda done that in Geoworks.
T.A.E.X. |
Computer | I too, disclaim. I *might* share an opinion.
Technology | p-hu...@tamu.edu

CELTIC01

Sep 19, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/19/95
You could set that up by the Path statement in the GEOS ini file. Redirect
to the pool on the server. I have done some really weird stuff
manipulating that PATH statement in the INI file. You could set it up to
have multiple configuration of GEOWORKS on a single computer so that
different users at the same computer could have entirely different
PATHS,SETUP, INI's,PREFERENCES ETC..

To give you an idea of the adaptability...you can setup a company approved
font set and have everyone use from that directory. It is endless.

Not bad for $79 program.

CELTIC01

Sep 19, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/19/95
Markus

or any other data stuff at the same time. <<<<<

I "believe" that statement is false. If you set the document type to
"Public" then all users on the network has access to that document (READ
ACCESS ONLY).

Torsten Czysz

Sep 20, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/20/95
In article <p-hurle...@tamu.edu>, p-hu...@tamu.edu (Philip Hurley) writes:
> In article <43mgo6$s...@ra.ibr.cs.tu-bs.de> cz...@nst.ing.tu-bs.de (Torsten
> Czysz) writes:
> >In article <43kmfl$290$1...@mhadf.production.compuserve.com>, Markus Klama <
> 10011...@CompuServe.COM> writes:>> Hello everybody,
> [...deletia...]
> >or any other data stuff at the same time. Another problem is, that you
> >cannot change the default document directory (It is the directory DOCUMENT
> >in the directory where you installed the copy of geoworks and you might
> >want to use one directory for all copies of Geoworks running to keep a common
> >pool of letters or databases etc.) which is proposed each time when loading
> >or saving a file for the first time of a Geoworks session, so you have to
> >make your way through the directory tree by hand once a session.
> >
> While this is true, with merged directories, people could share a common
> \GEOS20\DOCUMENT directory on the network, couldn't they?

If you can tell me how to do this in a Novell 3.12 network I will appreciate
it. Untill now I have not yet heard that there exists a possibility of
merging directories or setting links like under UNIX.

Philip Hurley

Sep 21, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/21/95
In article <43onbl$e...@ra.ibr.cs.tu-bs.de> cz...@nst.ing.tu-bs.de (Torsten
Czysz) writes:
>In article <p-hurle...@tamu.edu>, p-hu...@tamu.edu (Philip Hurley)
>writes:
>> While this is true, with merged directories, people could share a common
>> \GEOS20\DOCUMENT directory on the network, couldn't they?
>
>If you can tell me how to do this in a Novell 3.12 network I will appreciate
>it. Untill now I have not yet heard that there exists a possibility of
>merging directories or setting links like under UNIX.
Below is the section from my GEOS.INI file that allow me to blend a \GEOS20\
DOCUMENT directory on my P: (Novell network) drive with the GEOS20\DOCUMENT
directory on my local drive. The directory structure must be the same on
both drives (i.e., C:\GEOS20\DOCUMENT and P:\GEOS20\DOCUMENT) and the files
and folders on P: appear in the DOCUMENT window as underlined.

Does anyone know if I can merge with another structure (say P: *and* W:)?

[paths]
ini = c:\geos20\moreini.ini
top = p:\geos20

Mike Phillips

Sep 22, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/22/95
In fact Geos can some time see drives that novell cant! (CD Roms that is)

And yes all versions of Geos work fine on EGA with no trouble at all
because of the 16 color limitation!!!!!

I have a 286/16 with 2meg ram EGA running in the office (accounts and
word processing) put a VGA monitor on and was told "I don't like that can
I have the other one back?" 8-)

We will have to see what happens with the new 256 color driver

Mike Phillips (UK)

Arthur Stevens

Sep 22, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/22/95
> 1. Is the current release of Geoworks capable of working with network
> drives?

Yes, simply install Geoworks, and if a network is available it will show you the drives available.... It's called Plug & Play, a new thing for Mr Gates.

> 2. Can I run Geoworks using an EGA video adapter?

Absotively

Artie
ar...@cloud.apana.org.au

* Origin: GeoZ BBS Geoworks support in the South Pacific region (3:633/272)

Peter Campbell

Sep 22, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/22/95
Salutations from Australia's island state, Markus and Torsten!

Re: Message from Torsten Czysz replying to Markus Klama on 19-Sep-95.

>> 1. Is the current release of Geoworks capable of working with network
>> drives?

c> The answer is: "Yes, but..."

c> Another problem is, that you
c> cannot change the default document directory (It is the directory DOCUMENT
c> in the directory where you installed the copy of geoworks and you might
c> want to use one directory for all copies of Geoworks running to keep a
c> common pool of letters or databases etc.)

You can overcome this. Set up an identical directory structure on the server
where you want to store documents and add a paths section to GEOS.INI

[paths]
top = n:\geos20 (where n: is the network drive)

Alternatively specify an additional document directory:

[paths]
document = n:\docs

GEOS will add the two directories together. Documents on the network drive
will appear with their names underlined.

>> 2. Can I run Geoworks using an EGA video adapter?

Yes.

TTYL!

Pensey
pen...@cloud.apana.org.au
Fidonet:3:633/272.4
GeoNet: 222:700/104
Geoholics: 54:613/1027

* Origin: GEIGA - Geos Enthusiasts Interest Group of Australia! (3:613/272.4)

Torsten Czysz

Sep 25, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/25/95
In article <81191700...@cloud.apana.org.au>, Peter.C...@p4.f272.n613.z3.fidonet.org (Peter Campbell) writes:
[...]

> c> Another problem is, that you
> c> cannot change the default document directory (It is the directory DOCUMENT
> c> in the directory where you installed the copy of geoworks and you might
> c> want to use one directory for all copies of Geoworks running to keep a
> c> common pool of letters or databases etc.)
>
> You can overcome this. Set up an identical directory structure on the server
> where you want to store documents and add a paths section to GEOS.INI
>
> [paths]
> top = n:\geos20 (where n: is the network drive)
>
> Alternatively specify an additional document directory:
>
> [paths]
> document = n:\docs
>
> GEOS will add the two directories together. Documents on the network drive
> will appear with their names underlined.

[...]

> TTYL!
>
> Pensey
> pen...@cloud.apana.org.au
> Fidonet:3:633/272.4
> GeoNet: 222:700/104
> Geoholics: 54:613/1027
>
> * Origin: GEIGA - Geos Enthusiasts Interest Group of Australia! (3:613/272.4)

Thanks to all who pointed out that there is a possibilty of keeping a
common pool of letters etc. in Geoworks and accessing it right from the startup
with Geowrite. I was wrong in this point, but the people of the German Geoworks
hotline whom I asked for a solution for the problem of changing the default path
in Geowrite did not know about this fix either. Perhaps someone should tell
them. It is already the second time that this newsgroup helped me to solve
a problem with Geoworks which exceeded the knowledge of this hotline.

Thank you very much.

Regards,
Torsten