Tcl/Tk on GEOS (Brother's GeoBook $599)?

Cameron Laird

Nov 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/9/97

In article <87909152...@optional.cts.com>,
C.W. Holeman <cw...@cts.com> wrote:
>Is Tcl/Tk on GEOS? Brother's GeoBook ($599) uses GEOS.
.
.
.
Tcl is apparently the extension language for
the hosted debugger for GEOS; however, all
attempts to move it to GEOS itself have been
abandoned, as near as I can tell.
--

Cameron Laird http://starbase.neosoft.com/~claird/home.html
cla...@NeoSoft.com +1 713 996 8546 FAX

C.W. Holeman

Nov 11, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/11/97

>In article <87909152...@optional.cts.com>,
>C.W. Holeman <cw...@cts.com> wrote:
>>Is Tcl/Tk on GEOS? Brother's GeoBook ($599) uses GEOS.
> .
> .
> .
>Tcl is apparently the extension language for
>the hosted debugger for GEOS; however, all
>attempts to move it to GEOS itself have been
>abandoned, as near as I can tell.

Abandoned by whom and why?

--
C.W.Holeman II | cw...@iname.com | http://www.free.cts.com/crash/c/cwhii
To only a fraction of the human race does God give the privilege of

lvi...@cas.org

Nov 11, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/11/97

:

:>C.W. Holeman <cw...@cts.com> wrote:
:>>Is Tcl/Tk on GEOS? Brother's GeoBook ($599) uses GEOS.
:> .
:> .
:> .
:>Tcl is apparently the extension language for
:>the hosted debugger for GEOS; however, all
:>attempts to move it to GEOS itself have been
:>abandoned, as near as I can tell.
:
:Abandoned by whom and why?

Unfortunately, I don't have the details as to whom it was that attempted
the GEOS port. They reported to this newsgroup that the ported version of
Tcl was found to be difficult to run there except perhaps under the
desktop platform due to resource limits and platform constraints.

--
Larry W. Virden INET: lvi...@cas.org

Cameron Laird

Nov 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/19/97

In article <87920894...@optional.cts.com>,

C.W. Holeman <cw...@cts.com> wrote:

>>In article <87909152...@optional.cts.com>,
>>C.W. Holeman <cw...@cts.com> wrote:
>>>Is Tcl/Tk on GEOS? Brother's GeoBook ($599) uses GEOS.
>> .
>> .
>> .
>>Tcl is apparently the extension language for
>>the hosted debugger for GEOS; however, all
>>attempts to move it to GEOS itself have been
>>abandoned, as near as I can tell.
>
>Abandoned by whom and why?
.
.
.
See <URL:http://209.1.118.7/zoomer/zoomer-list/zoomer-list-4Q1994/0434.html>,
for example.

John D. Mitchell

Nov 20, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/20/97

On 19 Nov 1997 15:19:58 -0600, Cameron Laird <cla...@Starbase.NeoSoft.COM>
wrote:
>In article <87920894...@optional.cts.com>,
>C.W. Holeman <cw...@cts.com> wrote:
[...]

>>>Tcl is apparently the extension language for
>>>the hosted debugger for GEOS; however, all
>>>attempts to move it to GEOS itself have been
>>>abandoned, as near as I can tell.
>>
>>Abandoned by whom and why?

Well, for one, I certainly took more than a passing look at doing it. It
would be a very non-trivial amount of work to get the Tcl way to work with
the GEOS way. It's theoretically doable but I don't think it would be
worth the effort.

Gee, I didn't know that stuff was still around. You can reach me here
rather than at that old, school account if you really can't find the
referenced articles.

Take care,
John