Geoworks anyone? Yes, please!

David Frossard

Mar 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/17/98

Geoworks is still alive, thank you, under a new name, and still runs
on a lot less hardware than Windoze (it was originally written
primarily in assembly language -- which may be changing, since that is
pretty tedious way to program -- but it still runs on a 286 or so).
This is indeed a superior environment in many ways to Win 3.1, and
perhaps Win95 -- way superior if you're still running a 286 or 386.
Don't believe me? Download a shareware version at:
http://www.newdealinc.com/ and make your own evaluation.

New Deal Office, as the former Geoworks Ensemble is now known, needs a
DOS of some sort to run in (like Windows 1.0-95). The DOS underlying
Win95 works fine (see the documentation on how to tweak Win95 for best
Office performance), but if you would like to try a non-Microsoft
alternative, you can freely download Caldera's version of the
venerable Dr. DOS at: http://www.caldera.com/dos/

And while New Deal is working on a web and email client for the
Geos/New Deal environment, Caldera already has those clients for DOS,
ready for download in a program called Webspyder at:
http://www.caldera.com/dos/html/webspy.html. The Geos environment will
run DOS programs, so this is a way to bypass Windows entirely and not
give up these crucial Internet tools.

It's not that I don't use Microsoft products. I do. But they aren't
necessarily best on every computer (especially older machines). And I
fear it won't be a very nice world if the ONLY choice we have is
Microsoft products. So I support the alternatives above, especially
when they work better than what Mr. Bill offers us.

David

P.S. Don't forget Linux (http://www.linux.org).