NS / IE alternative - Was: Other Win95 Dial-UP

0 views
Skip to first unread message

Helmar Rudolph

unread,
Nov 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/9/96
to

hel...@argo-navis.com (Helmar Rudolph) wrote:

>BTW, for an alternative browser (faster than NS and IE) try:
>http://opera.nta.no
>
>I'll give you feedback on it later (cos I'm busy d/l it right now).

Folks, this is a marvellous piece of software. Puts NS and IE in the
shade. It's fast, powerful and stable. Really really a great pleasure
to work with.

Features: zoom, multiple windows within one browser, OR, from their
page:

-----
Try out Opera 2.1 beta 2. Windows 95 version also available! New
features include improved frames handling, news and printing, more
settings, possibility to save multiple window settings and
more!

We care! Opera is designed so that it can be used by as
many as possible. Unique features include: Keyboard interface with
single key browsing! Easy to use zooming function! Fully customizable!
Multi window browsing! Integrated Web & news inside one window!
Background sound and inline video support!
-----

Check it out!! (runs on Win95, but I think they also have a 16bit
version.)

Helmar


P.S.
For comp.os.geos: thanks Garrett for pointing this one out!


----------------------------------------------------------------------
- ENSEMBLE INC. - Africa's sole republisher for GEOS applications
- Address: 8 Airlie Place, Constantia 7800, South Africa
- Tel./Fax: +27.21.794.3414
- Email: ense...@argo-navis.com
- WWW: http://argo-navis.com/ensemble
- FTP: ftp://ftp.argo-navis.com/ensemble/

Terri Ferrier

unread,
Nov 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/9/96
to

hel...@argo-navis.com (Helmar Rudolph) wrote:

>Folks, this is a marvellous piece of software. Puts NS and IE in the
>shade. It's fast, powerful and stable. Really really a great pleasure
>to work with.

>Features: zoom, multiple windows within one browser, OR, from their
>page:

I checked it out and I think I will stick with Netscape 3.0 Opera
had some nice features that I liked and some not so nice.

For instance, it's great with the animated graphics. Helmar, I never
knew your site had any animated gifs until I tried Opera and some of
my own on my site work a lot better. But the backgrounds on your main
page never appear using Opera.

Opera is blazingly fast on text and small graphics...it sucks with
photos. I checked out my own site and in pictures of myself, I appear
to have a red blotchy rash covering my face and one of my dogs has
green hair! It took FOREVER to view the photos using Opera. Netscape
is slow on photos too, but LOTS faster than Opera.

I also much prefer Netscapes bookmark folders over Operas list.

Terri

Cami Lee

unread,
Nov 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/10/96
to

hel...@argo-navis.com (Helmar Rudolph) writes: > hel...@argo-navis.com (Helmar Rudolph) wrote:
[snip]

> Check it out!! (runs on Win95, but I think they also have a 16bit
> version.)
>
> Helmar
>
>
> P.S.
> For comp.os.geos: thanks Garrett for pointing this one out!
>
>

Well, I'm using the Internet Explorer to respond to this message, and to be
honest, I'm not impressed with it at all. Slow, clunky, the UI on newsgroups
leaves something to be desired.

Just as a note, I have downloaded Opera to check out Helmar, and YES, it does
come in a 16 bit version.

Lee

Aslam Hassan

unread,
Nov 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/10/96
to

In article <328462d9...@ct-news.iafrica.com>,
hel...@argo-navis.com (Helmar Rudolph) wrote:

[snip]

>Folks, this is a marvellous piece of software. Puts NS and IE in the


>shade. It's fast, powerful and stable. Really really a great pleasure
>to work with.

My first 5-minute impression....WOW! Kinda like looking at the *IMPRESSIVE*
CD-ROM Terri put together....WOW!

Aslam Hassan

gwre...@aol.com

unread,
Nov 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/10/96
to

Cami writes:

>>>>Just as a note, I have downloaded Opera to check out Helmar, and YES,
it does
come in a 16 bit version.

Lee<<<

Well.. I downloaded and tried it out. It does indeed work fast and seems
nice. I don't think it supports plug-ins, tho I could be wrong. Is there
Java support?

I like several features of this nice application..the multiple windows,
FAST display...and a few I'm not sure about.. colors of backgrounds of a
website I'm working on just don't look as BLUE in this...it seems to be a
bit greyer than blue..but that may actually be the RIGHT color. And it
doesn't display the images on one of my pages correctly..BUT I LOVE the
way it displays text links!! They look like buttons! :)

For an under 1 meg download it is an excellent alternative!

Mark-


James D. Bearden

unread,
Nov 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/10/96
to

In article <563vea$q...@news-c1.gnn.com>, Cami Lee <cam...@aol.com> wrote:
Well, I downloaded it and checked it out. It may be that I downloaded the
beta, but it screws up on my stuff. All the headers turn out black, and
that isn't very good on a dark blue background. And the colors don't look
quite right, either. I think I'll try out the 2.09 version or whatever.

--
James D. Bearden GEOS FAQ Maintainer
A.K.A. Wiffleguy 70003...@compuserve.com
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/jbearden/

Windows too slow? Have a PDA? See my GEOS page.
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/jbearden/geoindex.htm

Lou Duchez

unread,
Nov 16, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/16/96
to

In <5658q9$m...@news1-alterdial.uu.net> Terri Ferrier <tfer...@viptx.net> wrote:
> hel...@argo-navis.com (Helmar Rudolph) wrote:

> Opera is blazingly fast on text and small graphics...it sucks with
> photos. I checked out my own site and in pictures of myself, I appear
> to have a red blotchy rash covering my face and one of my dogs has
> green hair!

"The Web Browser of Dorian Gray"?


jo...@nta.no

unread,
Dec 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/1/96
to

> >Folks, this is a marvellous piece of software. Puts NS and IE in the
> >shade. It's fast, powerful and stable. Really really a great pleasure
> >to work with.
>
> >Features: zoom, multiple windows within one browser, OR, from their
> >page:
>
> I checked it out and I think I will stick with Netscape 3.0 Opera
> had some nice features that I liked and some not so nice.
>
> For instance, it's great with the animated graphics. Helmar, I never
> knew your site had any animated gifs until I tried Opera and some of
> my own on my site work a lot better. But the backgrounds on your main
> page never appear using Opera.
>
> Opera is blazingly fast on text and small graphics...it sucks with
> photos. I checked out my own site and in pictures of myself, I appear
> to have a red blotchy rash covering my face and one of my dogs has
> green hair! It took FOREVER to view the photos using Opera. Netscape
> is slow on photos too, but LOTS faster than Opera.

The reason for less quality photos in 256 color mode can be found if you open
up 2 Netscape windows with different images. You will notice that only one
of them will show good colors. In Netscape you are only supposed to be using
one window at a time. With Opera we suppose that you will be using multiple
windows. Therefore we need to have a fixed palette. Actually, you can
get the same result in Netscape with just one window and multiple images
in the same document.

With respect to the speed, we are interested in addresses that show the
lack of speed so that we can use them to test on. We have been working
on improving the scroll speed with big background images and we have
managed to improve the speed significantly.

>
> I also much prefer Netscapes bookmark folders over Operas list.

I guess we could improve on that, altough we will definately not be
copying Netscapes way of doing things. A lot of users like the way
we do things so we aim to improve on what we have got.

>
> Terri
>
>

--

Regards/Vennlig hilsen/Ciao/Kær kvedja...

Jon S. v. Tetzchner Faster browsing...
Opera Software Less machine capabilities needed...
jo...@nta.no Flexibility...
http://opera.nta.no Opera.

jo...@nta.no

unread,
Dec 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/1/96
to

> Cami writes:
>
> >>>>Just as a note, I have downloaded Opera to check out Helmar, and YES,
> it does
> come in a 16 bit version.
>
> Lee<<<
>
> Well.. I downloaded and tried it out. It does indeed work fast and seems
> nice. I don't think it supports plug-ins, tho I could be wrong. Is there
> Java support?

No JAVA, yet. Both JAVA and plug-ins are on our TODO list. Work has
started.

>
> I like several features of this nice application..the multiple windows,
> FAST display...and a few I'm not sure about.. colors of backgrounds of a
> website I'm working on just don't look as BLUE in this...it seems to be a
> bit greyer than blue..but that may actually be the RIGHT color. And it
> doesn't display the images on one of my pages correctly..BUT I LOVE the
> way it displays text links!! They look like buttons! :)

Opera uses a slightly different palette compared to the Netscape one.
Opera has less blue colors and more grey scales as a lot of images
use grey scales and we see less blue than other colors. You will
notice that our own home page looks much better in Opera than
in Netscape (in 256 color mode). Oh, and we did not designe the
page to show that. It just is.

>
> For an under 1 meg download it is an excellent alternative!
>
> Mark-
>

--

jo...@nta.no

unread,
Dec 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/1/96
to

> In article <563vea$q...@news-c1.gnn.com>, Cami Lee <cam...@aol.com> wrote:
> Well, I downloaded it and checked it out. It may be that I downloaded the
> beta, but it screws up on my stuff. All the headers turn out black, and
> that isn't very good on a dark blue background. And the colors don't look
> quite right, either. I think I'll try out the 2.09 version or whatever.

This was a bug. Try out 2.1 beta 2. Note other articles for the reason for
differences in color.

>
> --
> James D. Bearden GEOS FAQ Maintainer
> A.K.A. Wiffleguy 70003...@compuserve.com
> http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/jbearden/
>
> Windows too slow? Have a PDA? See my GEOS page.
> http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/jbearden/geoindex.htm

--

Lou Duchez

unread,
Dec 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/1/96
to

In <1103_849492033@Figaro> jo...@nta.no wrote:

[comments deleted]

I just wanted to say that Jon S. v. Tetzchner is a hell of a guy. He'll
actually help the Opera user out, for example he diagnosed an error on my
Web page that was causing my <PRE> tag to be ignored. This was *before*
I registered it ... but it went a long way to inspiring me to make a
purchase.

I'm sold on Opera not just because of the quality of the software, but
because of guys like Jon.

(Links to Opera available on: http://www.en.com/users/ljduchez)

Aslam Hassan

unread,
Dec 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/2/96
to

In article <57spik$8...@en.com>, ljdu...@en.com (Lou Duchez) wrote:
>Path:
>
>I just wanted to say that Jon S. v. Tetzchner is a hell of a guy. He'll
>actually help the Opera user out,

I will second the above comment...we worked out a "problem" with Eudora and
Opera.

>I'm sold on Opera not just because of the quality of the software, but
>because of guys like Jon.

I intend to register it for the same reason...and to think they would even
consider making a GEOS version (Oh happy day!)....but then, who would do the
TCP/IP stuff?

Aslam Hassn

Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages