Where to download PC GEOS from?

Sir Robin

Jul 24, 2002, 2:39:20 PM7/24/02
Hello...

I have this old 286 (IBM PS/1)... not the computer I'm using for work (this
one is P200MMX), but just for fooling around. It used to run MS-DOS 5 and
Windows 3.0, but I'm making it totally MS free.

I have now disks to boot it to FreeDOS or IBM DOS 4 (it came with it) and
GEOS 1.6 installed, but GEOS 1.6 is lacking programs like GeoDraw and
anyway I'd like to get a newer version.

I would be very thankful if someone could point where I can download
different versions of PC GEOS.

--
***/--- Sir Robin (aka Jani Saksa) Bi-Sex and proud of it! ---\***
**/ email: s...@robsku.NO-SPAM.cjb.net <*> ICQ: 15207181 \**

Bob

Jul 24, 2002, 6:29:12 PM7/24/02
There is no site available from wich to download GEOS. I'd be happy to send
you a copy of New Deal Office ver. 3.2 by either snail mail, or email. Write
me @ bob1...@attbi.com .

--
Peace & Love,

Bob : - )

"Sir Robin" <jani....@satabaana.net> wrote in message

Bob

Jul 24, 2002, 6:31:41 PM7/24/02
I forgot. Breadbox has GEOS for sale. Go to www.breadbox.com .

--
Peace & Love,

Bob : - )

"Bob" <m...@nospam.net> wrote in message

Ray Kopczynski

Jul 24, 2002, 8:31:15 PM7/24/02

Gene Anderson

Jul 24, 2002, 8:40:57 PM7/24/02
Sir Robin wrote:

> I have this old 286 (IBM PS/1)... not the computer I'm using for work (this
> one is P200MMX), but just for fooling around. It used to run MS-DOS 5 and
> Windows 3.0, but I'm making it totally MS free.
>
> I have now disks to boot it to FreeDOS or IBM DOS 4 (it came with it) and
> GEOS 1.6 installed, but GEOS 1.6 is lacking programs like GeoDraw and
> anyway I'd like to get a newer version.
>
> I would be very thankful if someone could point where I can download
> different versions of PC GEOS.

It's not freely downloadable anywhere, but Breadbox has two versions for
sale, a few copies of NewDeal Office 2000, and through their
distributors, Breadbox Ensemble. Check:

http://www.breadbox.com
http://www.sun2k.com/Software.htm

And for add-on GEOS software (mostly free and shareware), check Två Katter:

http://www.tvakatter.org

cheers,
gene

--
Gene Anderson
ge...@tvakatter.org

Byron Collins

Jul 24, 2002, 10:05:31 PM7/24/02
jani....@satabaana.net (Sir Robin) wrote in message news:<3d3ef3c1...@News.CIS.DFN.DE>...

> Hello...
>
> I have this old 286 (IBM PS/1)... not the computer I'm using for work (this
> one is P200MMX), but just for fooling around. It used to run MS-DOS 5 and
> Windows 3.0, but I'm making it totally MS free.
>
> I have now disks to boot it to FreeDOS or IBM DOS 4 (it came with it) and
> GEOS 1.6 installed, but GEOS 1.6 is lacking programs like GeoDraw and
> anyway I'd like to get a newer version.
>
> I would be very thankful if someone could point where I can download
> different versions of PC GEOS.

Hi,
Try this URL for the lastest -

http://www.breadbox.com

If they still have some packages of NewDeal Office 2000?
If not, try their Breadbox Ensemble product.

Regards,
Byron Collins

---
Byron's Emporium - Cool eBooks for PDA's
ENJOYOUREAD Production
http://home.clarksville.com/~bcollins/index.htm
---

Exegete

Jul 24, 2002, 10:03:10 PM7/24/02
Ray Kopczynski wrote:

Would one have to buy both the School suite and the office to get all
the programs? It seems that the office doesn't have the NewDraw,
according to the images of the backs of those two packages.

Roy

Pat

Jul 24, 2002, 10:24:42 PM7/24/02
Jani,

You can get Breadbox Ensemble for under $100 (Great Price, huh?) at this
site.

http://www.sun2k.com/Software.htm

Oooops, they seem to list a 386 as the minimum requirement for BBOX
Ensemble, and you have a 286. Not to say it wouldn't work, but I would
perhaps try to find a good deal on a less bloated version of GEOS on EBAY or
just keep enjoying good ole DOS.

They also sell inflatable computer furniture for your office. One stop
shopping. Can't beat that.

http://www.sun2k.com/InflatableItems.htm

Ray Kopczynski

Jul 24, 2002, 11:14:27 PM7/24/02
From the PC/GEOS History website:

http://205.180.85.40/w/pc.cgi?mid=12501&sid=7271

SchoolSuite is identical to Office, save for the splash screen (of course :-) )
and the addition of school-oriented templates for the four major applications

>Subject: Re: Where to download PC GEOS from?
>From: Exegete mil...@noneofyourbusiness.com
>Date: 7/24/02 7:03 PM Pacific Daylight Time

Ray Kopczynski

Geos -- The O/S for those who have simpler needs and hardware...
http://profiles.yahoo.com/geoholic

Jens-Michael Gross

Jul 25, 2002, 3:40:52 PM7/25/02
Ray Kopczynski schrieb:

> SchoolSuite is identical to Office, save for the splash screen (of course :-) )
> and the addition of school-oriented templates for the four major applications

SchoolSuite is missing some applications that are for home use, e.g.
banker.
But it has the additional templates.

Grossibaer

--
Take a class. Read a book. Don't expect computers to be simple, because
they are not.

Jens-Michael Gross

Jul 25, 2002, 3:45:38 PM7/25/02
Sir Robin schrieb:

> I have now disks to boot it to FreeDOS or IBM DOS 4 (it came with it) and
> GEOS 1.6 installed, but GEOS 1.6 is lacking programs like GeoDraw and
> anyway I'd like to get a newer version.

Interesting. I didn't now that there was a version 1.6. I only know 1.2
and 2.0.
And 1.2 did have GeoDraw. New in 2.0 was GeoCalc (spreadsheet) and
GeoFile, as well as a major redesign of the UI (tool buttons in all
applications, graphics layer for GeoWrite, multi-style-fonts)

The actual version is either NewDeal Office 2000 (available at
http://www.breadbox.com, only limited number as the copies are from a
buyout at NewDeal, the company which has developed GEOS beyond 2.0) and
Breadbox Office (available at http://www.sun2k.com as reseller, not
directly sold by breadbox) which is based on code older thant NewDeal
pffice 2000, but with newer internet applications than there.

You have the choice :)

Exegete

Jul 25, 2002, 4:06:45 PM7/25/02
Jens-Michael Gross wrote:

And if one is feeling affluent, could one install Office 2000, and the
newer internet applications from Breadbox Office?

Roy

Edward Di Geronimo Jr.

Jul 25, 2002, 10:29:15 PM7/25/02
On Thu, 25 Jul 2002, Exegete wrote:

> And if one is feeling affluent, could one install Office 2000, and the
> newer internet applications from Breadbox Office?

Won't work. Breadbox Ensemble is compiled to use 32bit registers in C code
(such as the internet apps), but NDO only saves 16bit registers when task
switching. So, it won't work.

Ed

Exegete

Jul 26, 2002, 1:07:45 AM7/26/02

Thanks Ed.

You kept me from doing something dumb....

Roy

Myrddin R Emrys

Jun 17, 2022, 3:18:22 AM6/17/22
Wow.. It has been 2 epochs in iNet time since there's been activity here.
Regardless, back in the day I'd used early PC GEOS ..introduced to it since AOL ran on it and some PC's actually came with it installed.. Later licensed it, went to Pro, then even had gone to Breadbox Ensemble though seems like it wasn't quite the same .. I do think it'd gotten up to like 32k colors there at the end and had some nice features for it's day.

However, I don't know anything about the currently available code that you have to compile and just wonder if someone's still out there who either knows where a clean install of the last real version could be obtained or if my best bet is to start digging around and try to find one of the old IDE drives that I've stowed away that may still have it on there. ..might have to dig up some sort of external adapter to even connect the thing to look at it.

Anyway, thought I'd show a little interest in this old piece of software. At one time I knew people doing full color newsletters on it and all manner of things in offices and even a local university. Of course, like I said at the start.. that was a couple of digital epochs back too.

*Cheers.!

Tristan Miller

Jul 14, 2022, 10:50:18 AM7/14/22
Greetings.

On 17/06/2022 09.18, Myrddin R Emrys wrote:
> However, I don't know anything about the currently available code
> that you have to compile and just wonder if someone's still out there
> who either knows where a clean install of the last real version could
> be obtained or if my best bet is to start digging around and try to
> find one of the old IDE drives that I've stowed away that may still
> have it on there. ..might have to dig up some sort of external
> adapter to even connect the thing to look at it.

GEOS can surely be considered abandonware by now. I did some web
searches just now for terms like "download geos" and "download pc geos"
and found a number of sites purporting to offer it for download. For
example, there's <https://winworldpc.com/product/geos/> which has disk
images for GeoWorks Pro 1.2 and GeoWorks Ensemble 1.0, 1.1, 1.2, and
2.0, as well as the manual for GeoWorks Pro 1.2.

Regards,
Tristan

--
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Tristan Miller

Myrddin R Emrys

Jul 14, 2022, 9:10:40 PM7/14/22
Thank you for the direction to start towards! I even found the newer incarnations there on the same site. The next task I think will be to get an appropriate DOS situation running that I can install into.
Back in it's day this thing could actually crank out some productivity that was useful for some real world tasks that it got a lot of use out of.. until it was kicked to the curb as Windows took over and "Full-scale Solutions" came with a much larger pricetag. How times change, and change again.
cool beans!

Tristan Miller

Jul 15, 2022, 5:51:57 AM7/15/22
Dear Myrddin,

On 15/07/2022 03.10, Myrddin R Emrys wrote:
> Thank you for the direction to start towards! I even found the newer
> incarnations there on the same site. The next task I think will be to
> get an appropriate DOS situation running that I can install into.
> Back in it's day this thing could actually crank out some
> productivity that was useful for some real world tasks that it got a
> lot of use out of.. until it was kicked to the curb as Windows took
> over and "Full-scale Solutions" came with a much larger pricetag.
> How times change, and change again.

If you aren't going to install it on a dedicated machine, I'd suggest
trying DOSBox first, as this will allow you to very easily tweak the
environment to your liking. If that doesn't work, you could try using
VirtualBox or the like to set up a virtual machine running FreeDOS.
Either way, let us know how it goes!