Gary Kildall, dead at age 52

Mark E. Davidson

Jul 13, 1994, 11:40:24 AM7/13/94
I don't know how many people have heard about this, but I thought I'd post
it in comp.os.cpm. I thought it might be the appropriate place,
considering his influence on CP/M.

The local (Monterey, CA) paper had an obituary for Gary Kildall, the
founder of Digitial Research and the author of CP/M. He was only 52 years
old. No cause of death was listed, pending an autopsy. He apparently died
at the local Pacific Grove Hospital, a few miles from here.

I didn't bring the paper to work with me, so I can't quote anything from
the paper.

Mark
--
Mark E. Davidson | "Remember, no matter where
Sr. Software Engineer | you go, there you are..."

Greg Limes

Jul 13, 1994, 6:51:52 PM7/13/94
In article <davidson-1...@162.49.74.63>,
Mark E. Davidson <davi...@pdsc.com> wrote:
>The local (Monterey, CA) paper had an obituary for Gary Kildall ...

The San Jose Mercury News ran his obit at the bottom right corner
of the front page and continued on the back page as follows; typos
are of course my fault. Reproduced without permission.

PC pioneer Kildall dies in Monterey
By Rory J. O'Connor
Mercury News Staff Writer

Kildall lost to Gates with IBM
Personal computer giant remembered for deal he didn't make

Personal computer pioneer Gary Kildall, who but for a single
failed business deal might have enjoyed the wealth and fame of
Bill Gates, died Monday night in a Monterey hospital at age
52.

Kildall was admitted late Sunday to the Community Hospital of
the Monterey Peninsula. He died around 9 p.m. Monday, said Jean
Tierney, the hospital's administrative supervisor. She said
the hospital did not know the cause of death.

Kildall apparently was taken to the hospital after suffering a
concussion in a fall, said Thomas Rolander, a longtime friend
and former business associate of Kildall. While an autopsy
report is still incomplete, Rolander said evidence indicates
Kildall suffered a fatal heart attack. It is unclear if the
two conditions were related.

Kildall's career spans the history of the personal computer,
which he was instrumental in popularizing in the 1970s.

"Gary's technical contributions in the beginning days of
microcomputing were order-of-magnitude enhancements to the
capabilities with which we were working," said Jim Warren, a
Woodside consultant who played a key role in early
microcomputing. "The were enhancements both in technical power
and in equitable consumer-oriented pricing and support
practices."

In 1972, Kildall was an associate professor of computer science
at the U.S. Naval Postgraduate School in Monterey and a
consultant for Intel Corp., which the year before had created
the world's first microprocessor chip. Kildall wrote a version
of the PL/I programming language that worked on the chip, the
Intel 4004. A year later, frustrated with the difficulty of
making the 4004 work with disk drives and other computer
components, he wrote the first personal computer operating
system.

A PC Breakthrough

The program, called Control Program for Micro-Computers and
shortened to CP/M, offered hobbyists a way to use their
microcomputers, as they were then called, in the same way as
larger minicomputers and mainframes. Before, the computers were
programmed in laborious ways, like flipping switches on the
front panel of the machines. With CP/M, they could type
instructions on a keyboard, store data on a floppy disk or tape
recorder and view results on a screen or printer.

Digital Research, the company started in 1976 by Kildasll and
his first wife, Dorth McEwen, sold CP/M for $75 each. Kildall,
who disliked business, said in a 1981 interview that he hoped
"just to support my computer habits" with the proceeds.

But the typical minicomputer operating system at the time sold
for at least $10,000, and Intel's own operating system for
microcomputers cost $800. CP/M soon became the standard
operating system for personal computers, which could be bought
for as little as a thousand dollars. By 1981, Kildall was one
of the best known figures in the $2 billion personal computer
business, and his $10 million company had sold 250,000 copies
of CP/M.

Negotiated with IBM

However, Kildall is probably best remembered for being on the
losing end of one of the biggest deals in computer history.

In 1980, IBM contacted Digital Research, hoping to persuatde it
to produce a new version of CP/M for the personal computer IBM
was secretly developing. Kildall didn't think much of IBM"s
chances but met with the company anyway.

"IBM wanted to take the market away from Apple, and they looked
at them and saw that the SoftCard (a CP/M add-in card for the
Apple II) was an important part of it," Kildall said in a 1991
interview.

Negotiations went badly, Rolander said. IBM wanted Digital
Research to sign a non-disclosure agreement but refused to sign
one in return. IBM wanted to pay a flat fee for CP/M, with no
royalties, and change the software's name.

Silicon Valley legend has it that Kildall, a passionate private
pilot, missed a crucial meeting because he decided to go flying
instead. While Kildall did fly that morning, Rolander said, he
attended the afternoon meeting.

IBM decided to hedge its bets. During a visit to tiny
Microsoft Corp., to obtain a version of its BASIC programming
language, IBM inquired if the company also could provide an
operating system.

Microsoft moves in

Even though he didn't have one, Microsoft founder Bill Gates
readily agreed to IBM's request. He bought a CP/M clone called
DOS from Seattle Computer Products, a company run by a friend
of Gates, for $250,000. That program became MS-DOS, proably
the most widely used software in the world, and helped turn
Gates into a billionaire.

Kildall had earlier sued Seattle Computer Products for
copyright infringement. When he confronted IBM with the fact,
IBM responded that it would agree to license CP/M as well -- if
Kildall agreed never to sue. He did, only to discover when the
IBM PC was introduced that the price of DOS was $40, while the
price of CP/M-86 was $200 more.

"It was only through inadequately sharp business hustling that
MS-DOS took the IBM cake when, by rights, CP/M should have done
so," Warren said.

But hard-nosed business was not Kildall's style.

"Basicly I am a gadget-oriented person," Kildall said in 1981.
"I like to work with gadgets, dials and knobs. I'm not a very
competitive person. I'm forced into it."

Kildasll remained active in the industry until his death. He
was Digital Research chairman until 1991, when Novell Inc.
bought the company. He started an early multimedia company in
Monterey in 1985, and later moved to Austin, Texas, to persue
the field. He recently returned to Monterey and spent the last
year and a half writing an unpublished book on the computer
industry called "Computer Connections."

Kildall was born in Seattle on May 19, 1942, and studied
computer science at the University of Washington, eventually
earning a Ph.D. He then took his post at the Naval
Postgraduate School.

Kildall met McEwen while in high school. The two married in
1963 and were divorced 20 years later. Kildall married his
second wife, Karen, in 1986. They were recently divorced.

Kildall is survived by two children; Scott, of San Fransisco,
and Kristin, of Seattle; his mother, Emma; and a sister, Patti
Guberlet, both of Seattle.

Kildall, who was also race car enthusiast who collected and
rebuilt Grand Prix cars, will be cremated after a memorial
service later this week. Details are incomplete.
--
Greg Limes [not speaking for 3DO]
#include <disclaimer.h>

KP2 KP2

Sep 11, 2023, 9:00:12 PM9/11/23
RIP

Dave McGuire

Sep 12, 2023, 3:16:33 PM9/12/23
That post was from 1994!

Tell me again why it was a good idea for Google to start mucking
around with Usenet?

-Dave

--
Dave McGuire, President/Curator
Large Scale Systems Museum

Aron Hoekstra

Sep 12, 2023, 11:25:05 PM9/12/23
Wow, talk about a necropost..

Captain Nemo

Sep 13, 2023, 5:32:03 AM9/13/23
On Tue, 12 Sep 2023 20:25:03 -0700 (PDT), Aron Hoekstra wrote:

> Wow, talk about a necropost..

But Al's Geek Lab is about to do a 3 part YouTube video on "The Man That
Should Have Been Bill Gates".

Dave McGuire

Sep 13, 2023, 8:45:16 PM9/13/23
On 9/13/23 05:31, Captain Nemo wrote:
>> Wow, talk about a necropost..
>
> But Al's Geek Lab is about to do a 3 part YouTube video on "The Man That
> Should Have Been Bill Gates".

Hm. Almost forgivable, then. ;)

dxf

Sep 13, 2023, 8:55:49 PM9/13/23
Clearly Kildall didn't have what it takes to be that.

Douglas Miller

Sep 13, 2023, 9:47:55 PM9/13/23
On Wednesday, September 13, 2023 at 7:55:49 PM UTC-5, dxf wrote:
> Clearly Kildall didn't have what it takes to be that.

Correct, Gary was a good software engineer and a good human being.

Dave McGuire

Sep 13, 2023, 10:16:15 PM9/13/23
On 9/13/23 20:55, dxf wrote:
>>> Wow, talk about a necropost..
>>
>> But Al's Geek Lab is about to do a 3 part YouTube video on "The Man That
>> Should Have Been Bill Gates".
>
> Clearly Kildall didn't have what it takes to be that.

Yup, he was neither sufficiently sleazy nor sufficiently willing to
take short cuts.

Captain Nemo

Sep 14, 2023, 5:30:39 AM9/14/23
Correct. But a bad businessman.

Paolo Amoroso

Sep 14, 2023, 5:50:05 AM9/14/23
Next July, in 10 months, it will be 30 years since the death of Gary Kildall. Any upcoming books, press coverage, or other initiatives to remember him and his work?

As far as I know no biography of him is available. Any takers?

Douglas Miller

Sep 14, 2023, 7:55:29 AM9/14/23
Only in the sense that he didn't want to charge exorbitant prices for lousy product. He wasn't in it to be the richest man in the world. I wanted to provide a good product, and needed to charge for it in order to continue providing a good product. Sounds like the best kind of businessman to me.

bill

Sep 14, 2023, 9:06:33 AM9/14/23
And his mother didn't work for IBM.

bill

dxf

Sep 16, 2023, 2:38:10 AM9/16/23
To give Gates his due he was very good at forecasting trends and prepared
to take risks. Seeing the IBM PC on the horizon, he dropped CP/M without
any qualms. PC DOS 1.x - dated as it was - got his foot in the door.
Within 2 years he produced MS-DOS 2.x and never looked back. Even IBM
found itself in the back seat - just another supplier. It's Gates' name
that was in lights and to whom the world was looking.

Douglas Miller

Sep 16, 2023, 7:01:17 AM9/16/23
On Saturday, September 16, 2023 at 1:38:10 AM UTC-5, dxf wrote:
> To give Gates his due he was very good at forecasting trends and prepared
> to take risks. Seeing the IBM PC on the horizon, he dropped CP/M without
> any qualms. PC DOS 1.x - dated as it was - got his foot in the door.
> Within 2 years he produced MS-DOS 2.x and never looked back. Even IBM
> found itself in the back seat - just another supplier. It's Gates' name
> that was in lights and to whom the world was looking.

That's a rather grandiose rewrite of history, considering what actually happened. Gates didn't "drop" CP/M (especially considering that DOS started as a rip-off of CP/M), but circumstances (and IBM) dictated what happened. And to somehow say that DOS was great is really a failure to see it for what it was. The microcomputer market was blinded by the IBM name, and Gates was shrewd to tie himself to that post. True that he was able to escape the orbit around IBM, but it was IBM that launched him into that orbit in the first place.

KP2 KP2

Sep 16, 2023, 12:48:00 PM9/16/23
I heard that Bill had reversed engineered CP/M and made DOS out of it. Only if Digital Research was Microsoft.

Douglas Miller

Sep 16, 2023, 1:06:21 PM9/16/23
On Saturday, September 16, 2023 at 11:48:00 AM UTC-5, KP2 KP2 wrote:
> I heard that Bill had reversed engineered CP/M and made DOS out of it. Only if Digital Research was Microsoft.

I think Seattle Computer Products actually did the "dirty work" and MS just purchased their "rip-off" and ran with it. But, either way, I recall looking at the internals of the first version of PC-DOS and realizing that it was, architecturally, essentially CP/M. But just looking at what DRI did for the PC vs. the state of MS-DOS makes one wish that. Think about how long it took MS to actually get any OS that was truly multi-tasking, let alone stable.

yeti

Sep 16, 2023, 1:34:13 PM9/16/23
Douglas Miller <durga...@gmail.com> writes:

> I think Seattle Computer Products actually did the "dirty work" and MS
> just purchased their "rip-off" and ran with it.

"Quick and Dirty Operating System"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/86-DOS

--
Fake signature.

Steve Nickolas

Sep 16, 2023, 6:23:46 PM9/16/23
Gates just bought what Tim Paterson produced, and if I understand
correctly, he just copied the APIs from the manuals.

-uso.

Dave McGuire

Sep 17, 2023, 12:59:39 PM9/17/23
On 9/16/23 13:06, Douglas Miller wrote:
>> I heard that Bill had reversed engineered CP/M and made DOS out of it. Only if Digital Research was Microsoft.
>
> I think Seattle Computer Products actually did the "dirty work" and MS just purchased their "rip-off" and ran with it. But, either way, I recall looking at the internals of the first version of PC-DOS and realizing that it was, architecturally, essentially CP/M. But just looking at what DRI did for the PC vs. the state of MS-DOS makes one wish that. Think about how long it took MS to actually get any OS that was truly multi-tasking, let alone stable.

"Stable". Yeah, maybe they'll get there someday.

comp.os.cpm

Sep 19, 2023, 12:42:42 PM9/19/23
Why are we still arguing who did what and when? its all very well documented :)

comp.os.cpm

Sep 19, 2023, 1:02:52 PM9/19/23
On Tuesday, September 19, 2023 at 11:42:42 AM UTC-5, comp.os.cpm wrote:
> Why are we still arguing who did what and when? its all very well documented :)
“History is Written by Victors.” but some of us remember things differently.