8088ify (translating CP/M-80 programs to DOS 8088 programs) works ?

Peter Dassow

Oct 22, 2021, 7:10:59 AM10/22/21
Does anybody tried already https://github.com/ibara/8088ify ?

dott.Piergiorgio

Nov 5, 2021, 9:03:26 AM11/5/21
On 22/10/21 13:10, Peter Dassow wrote:
> Does anybody tried already https://github.com/ibara/8088ify ?

These type of program (8080 to 8086/8) ought to have never worked...

Best regards from Italy,
dott. Piergiorgio.

Tom Lake

Nov 5, 2021, 1:41:18 PM11/5/21
Why shouldn't they have worked? Intel designed both chips and specifically made the 8086/8088 architecture
be upward-compatible with the 8080. Once the 8086 segment registers are initialized, it's almost a purely mechanical translation
from 8080 to 8086. It's the ideal job for a computer program.

dott.Piergiorgio

Dec 2, 2021, 5:51:40 PM12/2/21
Because this mech xlation has led to mess-dog...

Best regards (and apologies for the nonsense coming from a misguided
compatriot...) from Italy,
dott.Piergiorgio.

dxforth

Dec 2, 2021, 7:06:09 PM12/2/21
Any mess was due to IBM adopting an old filesystem for a new product :)
One more reason (were it were needed) had IBM gone with Kildall, it
wouldn't have lasted.

William Gallant

Dec 16, 2021, 3:55:32 PM12/16/21
William Gallant here -

Does anyone have an already compiled 8088ify executable which runs on MS-DOS?
Need one bad.

-- Merry Christmas

Udo Munk

Dec 16, 2021, 7:23:38 PM12/16/21
sigma.r...@gmail.com schrieb am Donnerstag, 16. Dezember 2021 um 21:55:32 UTC+1:
> William Gallant here -
>
> Does anyone have an already compiled 8088ify executable which runs on MS-DOS?
> Need one bad.

dBase 2.41

William Gallant

Dec 16, 2021, 9:01:29 PM12/16/21
Yes. But where can i get a copy of dBase 2.41 for MS-DOS?

Chris Syntichakis

Dec 17, 2021, 5:30:32 AM12/17/21
https://winworldpc.com/product/dbase/ii-v2x

Not sure if this is what you are looking for, says 2.4 anyway.

hth

Peter Higgins

Dec 18, 2021, 8:08:44 PM12/18/21
My assumption is that William is looking for an 8088ify executable application that has already been compiled from its C source code, that he can use to run his own 8080->8088 assembly code translations.... and not an example of an old DOS application (like dBase 2.4) that likely was developed by translating the CPM-80 version.

William Gallant

Dec 19, 2021, 8:30:49 PM12/19/21
I e-mailed Brian Callahan who wrote 8088ify and he gave me this github link -

https://github.com/ibara/8088ify/releases/tag/v1.2

The MS-DOS executable is located there.

-- Merry Christmas
-- William Gallant

Peter Higgins

Dec 19, 2021, 9:02:00 PM12/19/21
Thank you for posting that information! I discovered 8088ify a couple of months ago, but lost interest when I realized how difficult it would be for me to figure out how to compile it into an executable.