SORD M23 CP/M OS

brizza62

Jan 20, 2009, 2:00:31 AM1/20/09
Hello Everyone,
Does anyone know where i can obtain software for the SORD M23?. In
Particular, the CP/M OS...
Thanks,
Nik

Mr Emmanuel Roche, France

Jan 20, 2009, 7:28:28 AM1/20/09
Hello, Nik!

I think that you are Australian? I have never heard about the Sord M23
in France. This must have been one Japanese micros. This would explain
that you heard about it, since Australia is nearer from Japan than
Europe. I made a quick search: the problem is that there seems to have
been several "M23" models and I don't know, of course, which one was
running CP/M (the other versions seems to have run a proprietary
system). Maybe you could ask one New Zelander who published an advert
to sell one Sord M23 the 3 August 2008?

--------------
Well then, the Sord M23 is a rather rare machine, damn near as scarce
as my Microbee, but not quite, though it is more fun to play with in
my humble opinion.

Comes with:

Sord M23 ( of course ) in the box, very tidy though with some
yellowing, working very well. Has disk controller cart.
Sord colour monitor
Sord dual external floppy drives
a number of disks and manuals including Sord PIPS software.

It's a nice set up, it all works well and there are even some games
amongst the software.

Location: Dunedin, Otago

------------

Yours Sincerely,
Mr. Emmanuel Roche, France

no....@no.uce.bellatlantic.net

Jan 20, 2009, 8:07:32 AM1/20/09

There are two ways to go about it. Find another SORD user, I think
some appeared her ein the USA.

The other is more intensive. You would need enough info about the
SORD to implement the BIOS portion of CP/M which is the machine
specific part. The rest of CP/M is portable to most any 8080/8085/z80
based (for CP/M86 any intel 8088-x86). You can then use any flavor of
existing CP/M for the components you need to assemble (port) to yours.

I assume the SORD has soem form of mass storage like floppy or hard
disk.

Allison

brizza62

Jan 20, 2009, 5:30:10 PM1/20/09
Hi Emmanuael. Yes I am from Australia, very clever deduction :-).
Thankyou for searching for me. I was able to contact someone in NZ
previously and they are kindly providing me with FDOS and CBASIC which
is a great start as i will be able to boot up the machine and key some
basic source. Unfortunately they do not have CP/M for this machine .
The model is M23 but does not say which mark..so it's probably the
first one with twin 5 1/4 inch drives (model FD-20.).
Thankyou again and Kind Regards,
Nik

brizza62

Jan 20, 2009, 5:43:21 PM1/20/09
Hi Allison,
Thanks for your input. I think the first option is the more realistic
as technical information on these computers seems non existant (may
improve someday :-) and i do not have the skills to port the
information anyway. I have contacted a user in NZ who was very helpful
with some software ie FDOS and CBASIC. As yet i have not found any
users in the US but i will keep searching. In anwer to your question
about mass storage device for this machine, it has twin 5 1/4 drives
model FD-20.
Thanks again and Kind Regards,
Nik

CBFalconer

Jan 20, 2009, 10:44:54 PM1/20/09
brizza62 wrote:

> Does anyone know where i can obtain software for the SORD M23?.
> In Particular, the CP/M OS...

No idea what the CPU chip is. If it is a z80, 64180, z180 you can
use DOSPLUS 2.5, which is available on my page. Access:

<http://cbfalconer.home.att.net/download/cpm/>

If you don't know run DDTZ (also available there). It will tell
you what chip it found. Source for everything is there, except the
PascalP system, which got lost in a combination disk crashes, theft
of floppies, etc. The object code for Pascalp (pcode version) is
available.

Try the download section.

Peter Dassow

Jan 21, 2009, 3:22:59 AM1/21/09
CBFalconer wrote:
> brizza62 wrote:
>> Does anyone know where i can obtain software for the SORD M23?.
>> In Particular, the CP/M OS...
>
> No idea what the CPU chip is. If it is a z80, 64180, z180 you can
> use DOSPLUS 2.5, which is available on my page. Access:
>
> <http://cbfalconer.home.att.net/download/cpm/>
>
> If you don't know run DDTZ (also available there). It will tell
> you what chip it found. Source for everything is there, except the
> PascalP system, which got lost in a combination disk crashes, theft
> of floppies, etc. The object code for Pascalp (pcode version) is
> available.

AFAIK, Sord M23 Mark II and Mark III are both Z80 based.
I am not sure the first version is also Z80 based, but why not ?
The Z80 was better not only "opcode-wise", also if you have to design a
new system, the needed additional 12volt for the 8080 was very annoying.
If an old Z80 based system has only (max) 64K RAM, I would also
recommend DOSPlus (or at least, QPM).

Regards
Peter

CBFalconer

Jan 21, 2009, 9:39:01 PM1/21/09
Peter Dassow wrote:

... snip ...

> AFAIK, Sord M23 Mark II and Mark III are both Z80 based. I am
> not sure the first version is also Z80 based, but why not ? The
> Z80 was better not only "opcode-wise", also if you have to
> design a new system, the needed additional 12volt for the 8080
> was very annoying. If an old Z80 based system has only (max)
> 64K RAM, I would also recommend DOSPlus (or at least, QPM).

It works fine with the 64180 (or Z180) also.

brizza62

Jan 21, 2009, 9:41:08 PM1/21/09

Hi Chuck,
I'll definitely give DOSPlus a try once i have a way of formating the
floppy disks to SORD format.
Many Thanks.
Nik

brizza62

Jan 21, 2009, 9:46:44 PM1/21/09

Hi Peter,
I'm pretty sure the CPU in the machine is a Z80 (same as marl ii &
iii). Once i have a way of formatting disks i'll give DOSPlus a try.
Many Thanks,
Nik

Peter Dassow

Jan 22, 2009, 3:19:03 AM1/22/09
CBFalconer wrote:
> Peter Dassow wrote:
> ... snip ...
>> AFAIK, Sord M23 Mark II and Mark III are both Z80 based. I am
>> not sure the first version is also Z80 based, but why not ? The
>> Z80 was better not only "opcode-wise", also if you have to
>> design a new system, the needed additional 12volt for the 8080
>> was very annoying. If an old Z80 based system has only (max)
>> 64K RAM, I would also recommend DOSPlus (or at least, QPM).
>
> It works fine with the 64180 (or Z180) also.

Yes, I believe this. But that's a different question, because nowadays
how and where can you still buy a HD64180 or Zilog 180 ?
And that's not the original status of the machine, if he just enjoy to
see his old system running, "tuning" the Sord has no importance.

Regards
Peter

arj...@gmail.com

Jan 25, 2009, 3:39:40 AM1/25/09
On Jan 21, 9:22 pm, Peter Dassow <z8...@arcor.de> wrote:
> AFAIK, Sord M23 Mark II and Mark III are both Z80 based.
> I am not sure the first version is also Z80 based, but why not ?

The difference between the various 'mk's of M23 was storage.

M23 mk I had dual 3.5" floppies
M23 mk III had dual 5.25" 100tpi 320k floppies
M23 mk 41 had dual 5.25" HD 1M floppies
M23 mk V had dual 8" floppies
M23 mk X had hard disk (5 or 10 MB)

All had a Z80 CPU, 128MB memory (except the cut down M23B which I
think was Japan only) and an option for an Am9511 coprocessor.

I'd also be keen to track down any other M23 (or M68) software! I own
two M23's, an M23EX and an M68.

arj...@gmail.com

Jan 25, 2009, 3:49:34 AM1/25/09
On Jan 22, 3:41 pm, brizza62 <nbrise...@optusnet.com.au> wrote:
> I'll definitely give DOSPlus a try once i have a way of formating the
> floppy disks to SORD format.

The floppy format on the mk III is 320k 100tpi single sided, variously
called DD or QD - DD disks usually work fine. HD disks do not work,
and the format is physically imcompatible with any PC format.

jean-mari...@orange.fr

Oct 12, 2013, 5:38:28 PM10/12/13
Bonjour,
Pour info, je viens de passer une annonce à ce sujet sur le site www.leboncoin.fr,
sur la région Champagne-Ardenne !
Cordialement
JM

Mr. Emmanuel Roche, France

Oct 13, 2013, 7:27:25 AM10/13/13
The Frenchman Jean-Marie Perruche wrote:

> Bonjour,
> Pour info, je viens de passer une annonce à ce sujet sur le
> site www.leboncoin.fr sur la région Champagne-Ardenne !
> Cordialement
> JM

Just a few remarks:

1) He responded to a request for a copy of the CP/M system disk
for the SORD M23 micro published... 5 years ago! As usual, he
found this message while doing a Google search, and did not
realize that his message would be published world-wide...

2) This did not prevent him from writing in French. According to
Wikipedia, the French language is only the 11th language the
most spoken in the world.

http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liste_des_langues_par_nombre_de_locuteurs_natifs

The first one is, of course, Chinese, followed by Spanish.

English only comes third.

Apparently, he was expecting his target to read French fluently,
like diplomats.

3) He is not offering to copy his CP/M system disk (he does not
even say if he still has it!): what he did is publish a "small
advertisement" in order to sell his SORD M23 for the modest sum
of... 280 Euros! (Gasp! He is modest...)

4) If there is a tremendous interest for this 30-years old
Japanese micro, I could offer to be the translator between Mr.
Perruche and you (say, until the end of this month, October
2013).

5) All this seems to be a pure waste of time and money.