CompuPro DISK3 and Quantum Q540

retrogear

Jul 1, 2015, 7:00:26 AM7/1/15
Step by step I'm trying to bring more items back to life on the CompuPro 8/16
system I recently obtained. My system configuration is an 8085/88 cpu, System Support I, Interfacer 4, RAM22 256k, 2 x M-Drive 512k and a DISK1 connected to a NEC1165 DSDD 8". So far I can boot cp/m 2.2LD and cp/m86 1.1PD which also creates a 1024k M: ram drive. I also received a DISK3 controller which I have soldered in 3 x 7805 regulators to use in this earlier version chassis. I have had a Quantum Q540 hard drive for years which has had very little use. I verified it is good by connecting it to a WD1002 MFM controller in my IBM PC then formatted and installed
MSDOS so I know the hard drive and cables are good. So I connected it to the DISK3 controller in the CompuPro but have the hard drive externally powered by the
IBM PC. Not sure if this is good but only way to externally power the Quantum. I have the Quantum jumpered as DS1 (the choices are DS1-4). My hard drive cable is straight thru, not twisted. I notice when I power on the CompuPro that the Hard drive LED comes on and stays on always. Not sure if that is normal? (In the PC it only lights when selected). I have an original DISK3 formatter disk. I booted cp/m 86 and ran DISK3 Q540 ALL command. It shows the drive parameters, then asks confirmation. When I press Y it just hangs. Anyone still around familiar with this? It's interesting I can use this same disk image in Altairz80 emulation and the disk3 program runs just fine. I'm pretty sure my solder job is ok. I read 5v out of each of the regulators I put in. I have an S100 extender card, voltmeter, oscilloscope but no experience / knowledge in S100 technology or waveforms so I'm "flying by the seat of my pants" as they say.

I've posted this in the Vintage Computer Forum but not sure if it went. It's been 24 hours and hasn't shown up yet. I'm still in the moderated posts level which is frustrating but I can understand why.

Larry G

jdha...@gmail.com

Jul 1, 2015, 11:05:37 PM7/1/15
I would start by double checking all of the jumper and dip switch settings as described in this manual:
http://www.hartetechnologies.com/manuals/CompuPro/CompuPro%20CPM-86%20Technical%20Manual.pdf

Disk 3 and Quantum 540 diagnostic/formatter is said to take 17 hours to run, after verifying the hardware switches, let it run for a while, maybe it just needs a little time.

retrogear

Jul 2, 2015, 12:20:59 AM7/2/15
Good thought, I'll run through it again. The DISK3 formatter is supposed to display some output and I see none but again if the normal time frame is 17 hours and emulation achieves it in like a minute or two I guess there might be a significant pause before I see any output... hmmm...

Now I need 17 hours, hard to find that much free time in this day and age...

Larry G

retrogear

Jul 2, 2015, 3:01:54 PM7/2/15
>Now I need 17 hours, hard to find that much free time in this day and age...

And the money to pay the extra electric bill and stand guard with a fire extinguisher. I see the 8v line is fused at 25A ...

Larry G

retrogear

Jul 3, 2015, 5:41:43 PM7/3/15
Success !!!

After many hours of going over and over the settings plus examining the DISK3 board for the umpteenth time I noticed the 8085 processor slightly elevated. I remember reading advice about reseating socketed chips so I pressed in on each chip and heard many crunching sounds like getting further reseating. Now the Quantum is formatting !!! Such a beautiful scratchy sound like music to my ears.
I have revision D of the DISK3 firmware and apparently the version of the DISK3 utility does matter. V2.6 was struggling and indicating errors so I found a v3.4 08/16/85 which is formatting and passing the Q540 with no errors so far. The format of 512 cylinders took only about 5 minutes and the verify took another 5. The data test is taking about 30 seconds per track so that could be about 4.5 hours. Probably more tests after that so could take up the 17 hours predicted.

Good thing it's a holiday weekend in the USA...

Larry G

jdha...@gmail.com

Jul 3, 2015, 7:28:56 PM7/3/15
I love to hear these success stories! Years ago when you packed away that Q540, you knew that it would come in handy some day. It's usually something basic like re-seating the chips that gets stuff going again. These old boards are really durable and don't forget Made in USA as well, Happy 4th of July.

retrogear

Jul 4, 2015, 7:51:48 AM7/4/15
On Friday, July 3, 2015 at 6:28:56 PM UTC-5, jdha...@gmail.com wrote:
> I love to hear these success stories! Years ago when you packed away that Q540, >you knew that it would come in handy some day. It's usually something basic like >re-seating the chips that gets stuff going again. These old boards are really >durable and don't forget Made in USA as well, Happy 4th of July.

Yes it was packed away and not where I thought it was so I had to turn my house upside down to find it :) The final stage of the disk3 program is an intense 12 cycle seek test. Each cycle takes almost an hour. As I predicted, after about 4 cycles I got called in to work so I shut it down. Never get 17 hours of uninterrupted time in this day and age. Mine had gone about 9 hours so yes it would have been 17 hours total. This must have been a disk certification program. I would recommend if anyone uses it in the future to only do the format and verify steps. My hard drive passed those and the 4.5 hour data test with no errors !! I see the date stamp on the drive is 1991. I know I purchased it from a 2nd hand store in the mid 90's. So even after a decade of the 80's drives were still being manufactured with only 42 megabytes. I realize back then the os's had small limitations on storage. I remember hooking this drive to an RLL controller pushing the storage to 50MB !!

Larry G

retrogear

Jul 19, 2015, 11:22:24 PM7/19/15
I just got Concurrent DOS 3.1 to boot on this system. I have a laptop running ProComm as a serial terminal and here is the output log:

CP/M 8-16 1.1Sb loader --

Bdos Err On A: Bad Sector
Can't open CCPM.SYS
What CCPM*.SYS Do You Want To Read ? : 340

CompuPro XIOS Ver 3.1D
Total Memory: 256K
1 Megabytes M-DRIVE/H active as M:
Disk 1 Controller present:
8 inch Drives as I: J:
5-1/4" Drives as K: L:
Disk 3 / Q540 unit #0 A: B: C: D: E:
8087 Numeric Co-Processor Present

Concurrent CP/M-86 3.1
Copyright (C) 1983, Digital Research
***** 3.1 DM Maintainance Release 9/3/85 *****
Concurrent CP/M 8-16 Copyright (C) 1984, 1985 CompuPro
PC Mode

XIOS, SW, SHELL, LOADER Copyright (C) 1981, 1982 1983, 1984, 1985 CompuPro.
Serial Number 0272-001837

3?:31:27 A:MFORM.CMD
0A>

For some reason the loader gives Bdos Err On A: Bad Sector
before it asks for the name. I assume this isn't normal?
I don't think this error is actually a bad disk or drive. Something is misconfigured in the loader as far as number of sides or density? I sysgen'd with LDRCCPM8.88 so should be correct. If I provide
a ccpm.sys file it still gives a bad sector message and asks for a name then
loads it just fine.

Interesting the mis-spelling of 'maintainance' instead of 'maintenance'
Also interesting with this os running my 8" drive action sounds very optimized
and faster. Fun stuff !!

Larry G

retrogear

Jul 26, 2015, 9:10:05 AM7/26/15
> For some reason the loader gives Bdos Err On A: Bad Sector
> before it asks for the name. I assume this isn't normal?
> I don't think this error is actually a bad disk or drive. Something is misconfigured in the loader as far as number of sides or density? I sysgen'd with LDRCCPM8.88 so should be correct. If I provide
> a ccpm.sys file it still gives a bad sector message and asks for a name then
> loads it just fine.
>
> Also interesting with this os running my 8" drive action sounds very optimized and faster.

Problem resolved !! These are actually symptoms of an incorrect floppy step rate. I went thru the procedure in the Viasyn Customization Guide for Concurrent DOS 8-16 starting on page 8 to customize the loader. The top of page 10 is actually a mis-print which should read s1D88. Spec on my drive for seek time is 3ms but this was set to 4ms. I changed it to 3ms and it made the problem worse. I set 1D88 to BF for 5ms and now it boots !! I could hear an audible difference in the loading process. I'm pretty sure my os is still set for 3ms but someone evidently set the loader step rate down to 4ms and I had to decrease it further. It must be the seek rate for the loader has to be tweaked independently from the os itself. Most of the disks I received with this system will not boot because of this. I think I can fix them now !!

new_castle_j

Jul 26, 2015, 10:09:02 PM7/26/15
Persistence pays!

retrogear

Aug 6, 2015, 12:12:38 AM8/6/15
On Sunday, July 26, 2015 at 9:09:02 PM UTC-5, new_castle_j wrote:
> Persistence pays!

I got CP/M 1.1R to boot:

CP/M-86 1.1h loader --

Segment Address = 0041
Last Offset = 34FF

CompuPro Systems CP/M-86 vers 1.1R

System Memory: 256K
TPA Base = 1221:0000

Configured for ...
2 M-Drive/H, active as M:
Disk 1 (8 inch floppy) I: J: K: L:
Disk 3 / Q540 A: B: C: D: E:

Both the loader and the cpm.sys bios needed to have the step rate set to 5ms via ACTIVE.EQU parameter file.
I had to build cpm.sys to include the DISK1 driver (.DVR) file. The DISK1A driver for this version will not function on DISK1 controller.
Most of the boot floppies I have are based on the 3ms step rate and DISK1A so without a DISK1A card or source files I'm screwed :(
My newly built R version is stable for the DISK3. Previous versions were giving an occasional bdos error. It doesn't sound as fast as
the Concurrent DOS 3.1DM which is definitely the best coded.

fun stuff !!

Larry G

retrogear

Aug 9, 2015, 3:03:07 PM8/9/15
My quest to get a bootable cp/m 2.2q on my compupro system has led me to Don Maslin's archive.
Don Maslin's cpm8022q.td0 is corrupted. My first clue was when too many tracks were reported:

C:\imd>td02imd cpm8022q
TD 1.5 8" HD MFM S-step, 1 sides ADV 14/01/1997 19:56:14
CP/M-2.2Q system disk for CompuPro
SSDD 1024 byte sector, 1-8, 1:1
81 tracks, 645 sectors converted.

So then I used samdisk to convert and imdu to expand which revealed the problem:

C:\imd>samdisk cpm8022q.td0 cpm8022q.imd

C:\imd>imdu cpm8022q.imd cpm22qu.imd /E
IMageDisk Utility 1.17 / Jun 27 2008
IMD SAMdisk100620, 09/08/2015 12:03:51
0/0 500 kbps SD 26x128
1/0 500 kbps DD 8x1024
77/0 500 kbps SD 1x128
80/0 500 kbps DD 8x1024
81 tracks(81/0), 645 sectors (31 Compressed)

Tracks 77-80 were bogus maybe because read on an 80 track drive?
Then I used samdisk to trim to 77 tracks:

C:\imd>samdisk cpm8022q.td0 cpm8022q.imd -c 0-76

Then expanded with imagedisk:

C:\imd>imdu cpm8022q.imd cpm22qu.imd /E
IMageDisk Utility 1.17 / Jun 27 2008
IMD SAMdisk100620, 09/08/2015 12:06:37
0/0 500 kbps SD 26x128
1/0 500 kbps DD 8x1024
77 tracks(77/0), 634 sectors (31 Compressed)

That looked correct so then I booted with altairz80:

C:\_compupro_cpm22>altairz80 cpm22q.alt

Altair 8800 (Z80) simulator V3.9-0 build 1625 (scp created Feb 10 2013 at 09:37:
45 with gcc 4.2.4)

1024 bytes [4 pages] loaded at ffc00.

CompuPro Systems CP/M 2.2Q Disk Loader

Can't open BIOS.COM
What BIOS*.COM do you want to read? 8n88

CompuPro 64K CP/M 2.2Q (85/88)
Copyright (c) 1985 VIASYN Corporation

8" DISK1A as A: B: C: D:

8 M-Drive/H as drive M:

A>MFORM M!

FORMATTING MEMORY DRIVE

A>dir
A: ACTIVE LIB : ASCII LIB : ASM COM : BIOS5N58 COM
A: BIOS5X35 COM : BIOS5Z35 COM : BIOS5Z58 COM : BIOS8N28 COM
A: BIOS8N85 COM : BIOS8N88 COM : BIOS8X38 COM : BIOS8Z38 COM
A: BIOS8Z85 COM : BIOS8Z88 COM : HMXBIOS ASM : BOOTSCPM LIB
A: CLOCK COM : COMPUPRO LIB : COPY COM : CPMDISK LIB
A: DDT COM : DISK2 COM : DISK3 COM : DUMP COM
A: ED COM : FORMAT COM : HMXFBOOT ASM : HMXLBIOS ASM
A: LDRACT LIB : LOAD COM : LOADER8 COM : MAKEBIOS SUB
A: MFORM COM : MOVCPM COM : PIP COM : ROM1 ASM
A: ROM2 ASM : ROM3 ASM : ROM4 ASM : STAT COM
A: SUBMIT COM : SYSGEN COM : XSUB COM : LOADER5 COM
A: BIOS5N25 COM : STARTUP SUB

I'm seeing files I haven't seen before !!

sysgen loader8.com creates a bootable disk that looks for bios.com
it can be modified as follows:

rmac hmxfboot
link hmxfboot
rmac hmxlbios
link hmxlbios

ddt loader8.com
ihmxfboot.com
r800
ihmxlbios.com
r900
g0
save 53 myloader.com
sysgen myloader.com
submit makebios

This boots good with altairz80 !!
I imaged this to my compupro floppy and tried to boot:

CompuPro Systems CP/M 2.2Q Disk Loader

Bdos Err On A: Bad Sector

Same issue as most of my disks :(

Time to go thru the source and modify for my system. To be continued ...

Jeff Albrecht

Aug 9, 2015, 5:41:52 PM8/9/15
I too am attempting to get an os preferably CP/M-80 2.2Q running on an MFM drive with a CompuPro Disk3. I've got some v L booting floppies. Also MPM 8/16.

FWIW I've started taking some notes on my progress in a wiki page;
http://retrowagon.org/wiki/index.php/CompuPro_Disk3

I don't have Q booting on floppies. I have most if not all of the files from back in the day when I used to run this on a Rodime drive and with ZCPR. However I can't seem to find a Q image that I can load into DDT. I'm getting synchronization errors indicating I'm using different copies of CP/M.

I found a CPMQ540.COM for version N, but when I boot it, signon reports 'no disk3' this is not unexpected from what I read in the Disk3 documentation requiring version Q for the engineering changes incorporated in the hardware and firmware.

I've got two Disk3 controllers. A D with ROM 223D and a G with ROM 224D.

I bought a Quantum Q540 off of ebay hoping I could just sysgen a CPMQ540.COM image onto it before I mess with the bios for unsupported drives. I don't have a version Q of CPMQ540.COM(if it exists).

I started out on the Q540 by verifying the drive and cables by formatting on an IBM XT. I can boot from it and read/write on the XT.

I can format on the Disk3 using Disk3.com version 2.6. I can hear the head stepping and no errors are reported, however the verify fails completely. This behavior with both versions of the controller. Attempting to format with Disk3.com version 2.8 fails for both controllers disk3.com appears to lock up before a single step.

I'd sure like to find a perhaps version 2.7 of Disk3.com or??? And a CPMPLAIN.COM, CPMFLPY.COM or similar from CompuPro CP/M-80 version Q.

additionally....

Somewhere I found a couple archives of CompuPro disks. One of those has some .imd files that look promising. I'm not positive which emulator they are written for. However a document included when followed with altairz80.exe V3.8-1 build 1296 does not reject any syntax, however when I get to the last step, 'boot' I don't get a prompt back. So close! Sure would like to see what's in the drive.

I'll post the contents of the disk, and the Q notes from the file cpm22q I used to attempt to boot.

Directory;
01/30/2015 03:25 PM 6,925 active.lib
01/30/2015 03:32 PM 22,051,744 cc20mb.dsk
01/30/2015 03:32 PM 22,051,744 cc20mb2.dsk
01/30/2015 03:20 PM 112,937 cc20mbempty.dsk.zip
01/30/2015 03:20 PM 627,688 ccpm22d2.imd
01/30/2015 03:20 PM 627,688 ccpm22n.imd
01/30/2015 03:20 PM 1,260,177 ccpm22q.imd
01/30/2015 03:20 PM 627,758 ccpm86_1.imd
01/30/2015 03:20 PM 627,761 ccpm86_2.imd
01/30/2015 03:20 PM 858 cpm22q
01/30/2015 03:20 PM 570 cpm80hd
01/30/2015 03:20 PM 660 cpm80hd_diag
01/30/2015 03:20 PM 1,081 cpm86
01/30/2015 03:20 PM 1,260,150 cprodiag.imd
11/26/2014 06:05 PM 0 disk3tst.dsk
01/30/2015 03:20 PM 1,024 go86.bin
01/30/2015 03:20 PM 191 sysgen.sub

Contents of file cpm22q

; $Id: disk1a 1768 2008-01-07 16:02:22Z Hharte $
;
; Startup file for the CompuPro 8-16 System.
;
set cpu 64k
set cpu banked
set cpu itrap
set cpu z80
set cpu noaltairrom
set cpu switcher
set hdsk disable

; Clear RAM, and load CompuPro GO86 ROM Image
load go86.bin ffc00

; Enable CompuPro System Support 1 Board
set ss1 en

; Configure Console UART (Emulating System Support 1 Serial Port)
set sio ansi
set sio port=5c/0/0/0/0/F/0/T
set sio port=5d/0/82/0/81/F/0/F

; Configure CompuPro DISK1A Floppy Controller
set disk1a enabled
set i8272 enabled
set disk1a rom
att disk1a0 ccpm22q.imd
att disk1a1 cprodiag.imd

; Configure CompuPro MDRIVE/H RAM disk
set mdriveh en
set mdriveh1 en
set mdriveh2 en
set mdriveh3 en
set mdriveh4 en
set mdriveh5 en
set mdriveh6 en
set mdriveh7 en

; Boot Floppy Drive
boot disk1a0

Does the above syntax indicate which emulator this was designed for? Sure would like to mount that ccpm22q.imd for a look see.

So anyone have a perhaps version 2.7 of Disk3.com or??? And a CPMPLAIN.COM, CPMFLPY.COM or similar from CompuPro CP/M-80 version Q?

c ya... - jeffa KF7CRU

Jeff Albrecht

Aug 9, 2015, 6:19:56 PM8/9/15
Das Boot is der cp/m!

I didn't like this line in the script, originally thought it was for a wider address space.
load go86.bin ffc00
changed it to
load go86.bin ffc0

sim> boot disk1a0

CompuPro Systems CP/M 2.2Q Disk Loader

CompuPro 64K CP/M 2.2Q (85/88)
Copyright (c) 1985 VIASYN Corporation

8" DISK1A as A: B:

Error On Line 001 No 'SUB' File Present
A>dir
A: BIOS8N34 COM : BOOTSCPM LIB : ASM COM : BOOTSCPM OLD
A: COMPUPRO OLD : CPMDISK OLD : LDRACT LIB : HMXBIOS OLD
A: HMXBIOS BAK : MOVCPM COM : ASCII LIB : RMAC COM
A: ACTIVE OLD : COMPUPRO LIB : STAT COM : SUBMIT COM
A: ASCII OLD : ROM1 ASM : LASM COM : LINK COM
A: DDT COM : SYSGEN COM : HMXBIOS ASM : CPMDISK LIB
A: HMXFBOOT OLD : HMXFBOOT ASM : HMXBIOS PRN : PIP COM
A: HMXLBIOS ASM : WSINST COM : WIMSGS OVR : WS COM
A: WSMSGS OVR : WSOVLY1 OVR : WSU COM : ACTIVE LIB
A: DISK3 COM : ACTIVE BAK : BIOS COM : FORMAT COM
A: FIXDIR COM : INDEX COM : SWEEP COM : VIEW COM
A: MBASIC COM : R COM : W COM
A>dir mo*.*
A: MOVCPM COM

Yea! Now to transfer it to a floppy.

Hmmm disk3.com is version 2.8 Maybe booting Q from floppies will allow it work. There is a MOVCPM there.

- jeffa

retrogear

Aug 9, 2015, 9:53:30 PM8/9/15
My DISK3 card is also revision G eprom 224D. I can confirm that when booting cp/m 2.2N and trying to verify with either disk3.com versions 2.6 or 2.8 it just locks,
no errors reported. The hard drive was formatted in cp/m86 with disk3.cmd v3.4. It functions just fine. I'll let you know the results when I get cpm 2.2Q to boot. I'm getting close. I have the loader loading BIOS.COM then it hangs.

BTW - when booting 2.2Q with altairz80 the garbled characters after the loading bios.com message means you need to enable the interfacer3. Add 'set if3 enabled'
to your script

Larry G

retrogear

Aug 10, 2015, 7:32:55 AM8/10/15
Jeff

The image you got to boot contains sysgen.com which is NOT designed to work with a standard movcpm.com image which is also on that disk. That sysgen.com is version 2.2f without a Digital Research copyright so it is designed to work with the LOADER8.COM image I found on Maslin's disk. Maslin's disk has the same 2.2f sysgen. The loader8.com has the ccp AFTER the bdos so is a totally different design. The sysgen loader8.com process I outlined in an earlier post does work with altairz80. I've almost got it working on my hardware. More to come ...

Larry G

Jeff Albrecht

Aug 10, 2015, 11:22:26 AM8/10/15
In a virtualbox running freedos I used TD02IMD.COM from imd118.zip to convert the cpm8022q.td0 to .imd format. I obtained the .td0 file from
http://www.retroarchive.org/maslin/disks/compupro/
I ran without any command line switches 'td02imd cpm8022q' I mounted that .imd image in the emulator resulting in the following error:

sim> att disk1a1 cpm8022q.imd
SIM_IMD: Corrupt header.
I8272: IMD disk corrupt.
File open error
sim>

Anyone have any comments on extracting files from .td0 images?

- jeffa

retrogear

Aug 10, 2015, 1:15:38 PM8/10/15
Jeff - about 5 posts back in this conversation I told how to fix it.
If you want I can send you an image and the extracted files.
Gmail me at larrygr510.

Larry

Jeff Albrecht

Aug 10, 2015, 11:47:13 PM8/10/15
Thank you Larry for the disk3.cmd version 3.4.

:-) mostly. Tried the 'all' option for both format and verify. It failed the verify without audible head stepping. I then formatted only, cycled power, then did the verify. This time I could hear the head step during verify. No errors reported.

CP/M 8-16 1.1h loader --

Segment Address = 0041
Last Offset = 32FF

CompuPro Systems CP/M 8-16 vers 1.1R

System Memory: 256K
TPA Base = 991:0000

Configured for ...
0 M-Drive/H, active as M:
Disk 1 (8 inch floppy) A: B: C: D:

A>b:
B>disk3-34 verify

DISK3 v3.4 (08/16/85)
hard disk formatter
(c) 1985 VIASYN

drive is configured as a Quantum Q540 40Mb

is the above correct: (Y or N) y

PROCESS CYLINDER # # OF ERRORS
------- ---------- -----------
verifying 511 000

c ya.... - jeffa

On Sunday, August 9, 2015 at 6:53:30 PM UTC-7, retrogear wrote:
> My DISK3 card is also revision G eprom 224D. I can confirm that when booting cp/m 2.2N and trying to verify with either disk3.com versions 2.6 or 2.8 it just locks,
> no errors reported. The hard drive was formatted in cp/m86 with disk3.cmd v3.4. It functions just fine.
>
> Larry G

retrogear

Aug 11, 2015, 6:59:45 AM8/11/15
Good news. Interesting your loader is set to 8-16 and mine is 86. There is a
switch setting for that in the source. I forget what the difference is.
If you can get the repaired Maslin 8022Q image on a SSDD 8" disk it will probably boot if you have the DISK1A card. It does in emulation. It does have
the driver installed for the Interfacer 3 (and or 4?) card so not sure how that
will affect the display. If you get that to boot let me see the output for clues
on settings.

Larry G

Jeff Albrecht

Aug 11, 2015, 1:04:24 PM8/11/15
8" floppy boot from distribution BIOSxxxx image and loader8. First time boot of Q to completion in the real world since the 80s. Next stop assemble a floppy boot for proof of concept, then on to Disk3.

CompuPro Systems CP/M 2.2Q Disk Loader

Can't open BIOS.COM
What BIOS*.COM do you want to read? 8n88

CompuPro 64K CP/M 2.2Q (85/88)
Copyright (c) 1985 VIASYN Corporation

8" DISK1A as A: B: C: D:

0 M-Drive/H as drive M:

A>MFORM M!
DRIVE SPECIFIED IS NOT A MEMORY DRIVE

retrogear

Aug 11, 2015, 1:40:27 PM8/11/15
cool !! - what are the other cards in your system?
must be a 8085/88 cpu?
disk1a?
must be an interface 3 ?
no mdrive card?

what's my score on guesses ? :)

Larry G

Jeff Albrecht

Aug 11, 2015, 1:57:34 PM8/11/15
You missed the buss extender and the RAM22 :-)

Biggest frustration is the drive door on this Qume trak 842 drive that more often than not sticks closed, seemingly more so when I'm testing a new build.

- jeffa

Jeff Albrecht

Aug 11, 2015, 2:37:59 PM8/11/15
Attempting to build a system. Locks up on the r900 of hmxlbios.com in ddt. Same as when I tried it in the emulator. Perhaps I didn't convert the .td0 correctly. Although if the source .asm was corrupted it wouldn't have assembled.

Larry,
You were able to assemble and sysgen a system successfully and boot it in the altairz80 emulator?

B>rmac hmxfboot
CP/M RMAC ASSEM 1.1
0200
017H USE FACTOR
END OF ASSEMBLY

B>link hmxfboot
LINK 1.31

ABSOLUTE 0100 (0100-01FF)
CODE SIZE 0000
DATA SIZE 0000
COMMON SIZE 0000
USE FACTOR 00

B>link hmxfboot
LINK 1.31

ABSOLUTE 0100 (0100-01FF)
CODE SIZE 0000
DATA SIZE 0000
COMMON SIZE 0000
USE FACTOR 00

B>rmac hmxlbios
CP/M RMAC ASSEM 1.1
EE41
04BH USE FACTOR
END OF ASSEMBLY

B>link hmxlbios
LINK 1.31

ABSOLUTE 0641 (E800-EE40)
CODE SIZE 0000
DATA SIZE 0000
COMMON SIZE 0000
USE FACTOR 00

B>ddt loader8.com
DDT VERS 2.2
NEXT PC
3900 0100
-ihmxfboot.com
-r800
NEXT PC
3900 0100
-ihmxlbios.com
-r900

retrogear

Aug 11, 2015, 3:50:52 PM8/11/15
Linking hmxlbios needs a load parameter [le800].
Here is my emulator run with the original sources on that disk.
I used $pz sz to suppress listings to save drive space. The original source
builds in the DISK2 driver so you will need to change that to DISK3:

C:\_compupro_cpm22>altairz80 cpm22q.alt

Altair 8800 (Z80) simulator V3.9-0 build 1625 (scp created Feb 10 2013 at 09:37:
45 with gcc 4.2.4)

1024 bytes [4 pages] loaded at ffc00.

CompuPro Systems CP/M 2.2Q Disk Loader

Can't open BIOS.COM
What BIOS*.COM do you want to read? 8n88

CompuPro 64K CP/M 2.2Q (85/88)
Copyright (c) 1985 VIASYN Corporation

8" DISK1A as A: B: C: D:

8 M-Drive/H as drive M:

A>MFORM M!

FORMATTING MEMORY DRIVE

A>rmac hmxfboot $pz sz
CP/M RMAC ASSEM 1.1
0200
017H USE FACTOR
END OF ASSEMBLY

A>link hmxfboot
LINK 1.31

ABSOLUTE 0100 (0100-01FF)
CODE SIZE 0000
DATA SIZE 0000
COMMON SIZE 0000
USE FACTOR 00

A>rmac hmxlbios $pz sz
CP/M RMAC ASSEM 1.1
EE44
04DH USE FACTOR
END OF ASSEMBLY

A>link hmxlbios [le800]
LINK 1.31

ABSOLUTE 0644 (E800-EE43)
CODE SIZE 0000
DATA SIZE 0000
COMMON SIZE 0000
USE FACTOR 00

A>ddt loader8.com
DDT VERS 2.2
NEXT PC
3600 0100
-ihmxfboot.com
-r800
NEXT PC
3600 0100
-ihmxlbios.com
-r900
NEXT PC
3600 0100
-g0

A>save 53 myloader.com

A>rmac hmxbios $pz sz
CP/M RMAC ASSEM 1.1
F514
057H USE FACTOR
END OF ASSEMBLY

A>link hmxbios [le800]
LINK 1.31

ABSOLUTE 0D14 (E800-F513)
CODE SIZE 0000
DATA SIZE 0000
COMMON SIZE 0000
USE FACTOR 00

A>sysgen myloader.com
SYSGEN Version 2.2f
destination drive name (or RETURN to terminate)b
place destination in B, then type return
function complete
destination drive name (or RETURN to terminate)
A>pip b:bios.com=a:hmxbios.com

here is the reboot of the sysgen'd disk:

C:\_compupro_cpm22>altairz80 cpm22q.alt

Altair 8800 (Z80) simulator V3.9-0 build 1625 (scp created Feb 10 2013 at 09:37:
45 with gcc 4.2.4)

1024 bytes [4 pages] loaded at ffc00.

CompuPro Systems CP/M 2.2Q Disk Loader

CompuPro 64K CP/M 2.2Q (85/88)
Copyright (c) 1985 VIASYN Corporation

Disk2/M20 as A: B: C:

8" DISK1A as I: J:

8 M-Drive/H as drive M:

SUBMIT?

If you get this to work on hardware, I'll have to be the 2nd guy to step on the moon. What was his name again? :)

Larry G

Jeff Albrecht

Aug 11, 2015, 4:14:41 PM8/11/15
Well it took me 90 minutes to get the $#%^&*( floppy out of the drive, and this from the B drive that previously has given no greif. But the loader worked as follows. To build the loader I didn't include the bios with the r900 that locked me up previously.

ddt loader8.com
ihmxfboot.com
r800
g0
save 53 jloader.com
sysgen jloader.com
boots! :-) Back to the emulator, it sure is easier to edit and build there. Good 'ol visual studio.

During the 90 minutes I cleared a workbench so I could work on the drives. Been reading the fine manual. The inability to remove the diskettes is extremely frustrating!

retrogear

Aug 11, 2015, 4:55:40 PM8/11/15
One thought. I had sticky grease on the head load mechanism which would also hold the drive latch on. Take the cover off and watch the head load action. If the drive select light goes out the head should unload. I just cleaned the grease off with alcohol. Try that before mixing your own drink :)

Larry G

Jeff Albrecht

Aug 11, 2015, 5:45:50 PM8/11/15
Apparently I'm having a 'monday' on today, Tuesday. This is so strange! And so tantalizingly close to getting something done. 90 minutes to get a floppy out, now in the altairz80emulator when I 'w active.lib T' to write the active.lib out for easy editing with a modern editor it writes a zero length file, even though w reports sending 7k. I can't find active.lib open in any editors so I made a copy of it in cp/m and sent that. It's zero length too.

Larry would you please post your script for the simulator, and what version of altairz80 are you using?

Thanks, - jeffa

retrogear

Aug 11, 2015, 10:03:54 PM8/11/15
Peter Schorn's utilities R.COM and W.COM do not work with interfacer3 enabled.
I'll email him about that. That's why you get 0k files when written out. Here is my Altairz80 script with the notes included:

; $Id: disk1a 1768 2008-01-07 16:02:22Z Hharte $
;
; Startup file for the CompuPro 8-16 System.
;
set cpu 64k
set cpu banked
set cpu itrap
set cpu z80
set cpu noaltairrom
set cpu switcher
set hdsk disable

;FOR SOME REASON R.COM AND W.COM DON'T WORK WITH CPM 2.2Q
;BUT DO WITH 2.2NZ AND NEED IF3 DISABLED

; Clear RAM, and load CompuPro GO86 ROM Image
load go86.bin ffc00

; Enable CompuPro System Support 1 Board
set ss1 en

; enabling interfacer 3 takes away the boot noise and garbled characters
; but interferes with w.com
set if3 en

; Configure Console UART (Emulating System Support 1 Serial Port)
set sio ansi
set sio port=5c/0/0/0/0/F/0/T
set sio port=5d/0/82/0/81/F/0/F

; Configure CompuPro DISK1A Floppy Controller
set disk1a enabled
set i8272 enabled
set disk1a rom
att disk1a1 cpm22q.imd
att disk1a0 test.imd

set selchan enabled
set disk2 enabled
att disk20 cc20mbd1.dsk
att disk21 cc20mbd2.dsk

set disk3 enabled
att disk30 q540.dsk

; Configure CompuPro MDRIVE/H RAM disk
set mdriveh en
set mdriveh1 en
set mdriveh2 en
set mdriveh3 en
set mdriveh4 en
set mdriveh5 en
set mdriveh6 en
set mdriveh7 en

; Boot Floppy Drive
boot disk1a0

I'm using the latest Altairz80 stable version V3.9-0

Here is the build process again:

rmac hmxfboot
link hmxfboot
rmac hmxlbios
link hmxlbios [le800]
rmac hmxbios
link hmxbios [le800]
sysgen myloader.com
pip bios.com=hmxbios.com

It might be best to read/write files in/out of emulation with a different version of cp/m 2.2 like N or NZ just because Q is jittery without IF3 enabled.

Larry G

Jeff Albrecht

Aug 11, 2015, 10:39:48 PM8/11/15
On Tuesday, August 11, 2015 at 7:03:54 PM UTC-7, retrogear wrote:
> Peter Schorn's utilities R.COM and W.COM do not work with interfacer3 enabled.
> I'll email him about that. That's why you get 0k files when written out.

I am reminded of something I heard Homer Simpson say.... Doh!

OK I disabled interfacer3 and w works again. With it enabled, a loader prompt for a biosxxxx name would lock up not allowing input which explains oddities encountered yesterday when attempting to build a Q in the emulator. Good to know!

- jeffa

Jeff Albrecht

Aug 12, 2015, 3:12:50 PM8/12/15
Check it out! This is not an emulator. :-) Booting from floppy and accessing Q540 hard drive A. I copied sweep.com to it.

Next up attempt to boot from the hard drive.

CompuPro Systems CP/M 2.2Q Disk Loader

Can't open BIOS.COM
What BIOS*.COM do you want to read? test

CompuPro 64K CP/M 2.2Q (85/88)
Copyright (c) 1985 VIASYN Corporation

Disk3/Q540 as A: B: C: D: E: F:

8" DISK1A as I: J:

0 M-Drive/H as drive M:

Hard disk unit 0 not formatted properly.

SUBMIT?

A>dir
A: SWEEP COM
A>dir i:
I: MEX COM : MEX HLP : MEX LIB : NULL MEX
I: SURVEY COM : WM COM : WS COM : WSMSGS OVR
[...]

A>i:stat
A: R/W, Space: 5092k
I: R/W, Space: 382k

retrogear

Aug 12, 2015, 4:06:00 PM8/12/15
> Hard disk unit 0 not formatted properly.

Now that you have Q booting, try 'disk3 q540 verify'. disk3.com v2.8 is on the Q disk. If it passes then you might want to try formatting with it. It might function ok with the Q os. Of course, the hard drive doesn't have a partition record but it might have a different directory structure if it was previously formatted and written to with cp/m 86 ?

The warning message is probably important for trying to use it and especially successfully booting from it.

Larry

Jeff Albrecht

Aug 12, 2015, 5:50:06 PM8/12/15
Check back about 13 posts.

Running disk3.com v 2.8 under cp/m 80 v Q gave the same result as under version N. Disk3 appears to lock up doing nothing.

After you sent me disk3.cmd version 3.4 I ran a format and a verify in two separate steps because when running the 'all' option the drive formatted but failed verify. When I ran the format, power cycled, then the verify it verified without error. But apparently didn't write a bad track map or write it properly. For instance if I fire up cp/m 8-16 and run disk3.cmd version 3.4 'disk3-34 read' I'm presented with a current relocation map with hundreds of entries for cyl 7536 head 5. I would expect only a few entries in the map and no duplicates.

aside... The other controller appears to be working about the same.

The system isn't reliable, but it is working. And boots again after a power off. Might have a look at those Romx.asm files maybe try burning one.

c ya.. - jeffa

retrogear

Aug 12, 2015, 9:43:03 PM8/12/15
You could try pushing in on the chips on the DISK3 card to reseat them like I did.
I still can't get Q to boot on my hardware. It's not plug and play like it was for
you with the DISK1A. Peter Schorn replied and will check the IF3 w.com problem if I send him the disk and script.

Larry

retrogear

Aug 13, 2015, 9:39:22 AM8/13/15
>Peter Schorn replied and will check the IF3 w.com problem if I send him the >disk and script.

Here is his reply:

I believe the reason for the behavior you are experiencing is a port conflict between the IF3 which by default uses the range 0x10 - 0x17 and w.com which is based on the Altair PTP using ports 0x12 and 0x13. In theory you could change the default ports for the IF3 (e.g. add "set if3 iobase=20" after "set if3 en") but probably your software expects the standard port assignment.

Larry G

retrogear

Aug 13, 2015, 2:07:56 PM8/13/15
So a workaround I developed to get files in and out of altairz80 running 2.2Q is:

ctrl-e ;break into simh
>set ptp dis ;disable ptp
>set if3 iobase=20 ;get interface 3 out of the way (from Mr Schorn)
>set ptp on ;turn back on for r/w of files
>c ;continue emulation to use r.com and w.com

I figured out why I can't get 2.2Q to boot on my hardware but Jeff can.
It's the same reason altairz80 locks up unless IF3 enabled:
The loader bios (hmxlbios.asm) console is hard coded for IF3 !!!
Jeff wins and I lose :(

Larry G

PS - for now, that is :)

Jeff Albrecht

May 15, 2019, 10:30:29 AM5/15/19
Recently I purchased a CompuPro enclosure with 8", 5-1/4" and a Q540. After failed attempt at repairing the linear supply I swapped in some switch mode power supplies. See; "CompuPro Disk Enclosure Power Supply 2 Schematic" https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/s100computers/RkaHXHGL2Dw

Wow! I booted from the 1/2 height 8" Mitsubishi and the Q540 works. :-)

I decided to give getting the Q540 working reliably again a try. I made contact with someone on that discussion who had a Q diskette not made from any of the commonly available archives on the net.

Bottom line, I got it working reliably! :-) See this message in the thread; https://groups.google.com/d/msg/s100computers/RkaHXHGL2Dw/9NDwJfOlAgAJ

I believe all the trouble I had back in 2015 was due to formatting with a 16 bit .CMD disk3 utility and running 8 bit cp/m. See this note From; "CompuPro CPM 2.2 Technical Manual and Installation Oct84"

"NOTE: If you have a DISK 3, be careful when changing from CP/M to
MP/M™ 8-16™, CCP/M™ 8-16™, CP/M-86™ or CP/M® 8-16™ because the
logical drive partitioning on the hard disk is different between
CP/M and all the rest. However, the first and last logical drives
are the same on all operating systems."

My old Q540 seems to be working reliably as cp/m-80 version Q and I have an extra drive that also works that I may attempt to bring up MP/M on.

- Jeff

retrogear

May 24, 2019, 9:06:31 PM5/24/19
Wow I forgot about this thread. I've come a long way in the last almost 4 years. I removed the DISK1 for a DISK1A, got a 286 running in place of the 85/88 with a recent addition of an SPUZ slave Z80, got a Mitsubishi M4853 720K 5.25" drive on the DISK1A as well as the NEC 8" drive. Having the 286 kind of made it so I can't boot or run CPM-80 but I can run the apps under the SPUZ now. I know what you mean about 86 formatting, I re-partitioned and formatted the Q540 for it. I suppose with partitioning, a person could somehow also have a cpm80 type but I still couldn't run it anyway. It would be nice to come up with cabling for the serial port on the SPUZ to maybe do a TurboDOS type Z80 slave with it. Here's a video of my system now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=paHMmI3fpEQ

fun stuff !!

Larry G