CP/M on the PT Sol-20

Loren Waldo

Feb 6, 2024, 10:40:04 AMFeb 6
Hello,
I'm looking for a bit of help with CP/M and was hoping I could get some help, I'm trying to get a copy of CP/M 2.2 working on my Sol-20 in combination with my Morrow Disk Jockey; However, I'm not exactly sure how to patch the Morrow version of CP/M to work with the somewhat bizarre memory map of the Sol-20. If anybody has any resources to help, I'd really appreciate it.

John Crane

Feb 6, 2024, 12:27:30 PMFeb 6
On 2/6/24 9:40 AM, Loren Waldo wrote:
> Hello,
> I'm looking for a bit of help with CP/M and was hoping I could get some help, I'm trying to get a copy of CP/M 2.2 working on my Sol-20 in combination with my Morrow Disk Jockey; However, I'm not exactly sure how to patch the Morrow version of CP/M to work with the somewhat bizarre memory map of the Sol-20. If anybody has any resources to help, I'd really appreciate it.

I seem to recall an article in the Sol users club about this. The main
issue is the memory space is not a contiguous block like CPM likes. The
ROMS are sitting in there and have to be reprogrammed for new addresses
and the hardware logic changed to address them at the new location. This
will result in a CPM system with less than max memory. The alternative
it to ditch the ROM, and have a CPM only machine.

But it seems a waste with so many other vanilla CPM machines out there.
The Sol is such a unique system, I didn't want to alter mine too much.

I opted for a Micropolis disk system that behaves nicely with the Sol
ROMS. Not CPM, but plenty of functionality (Assembler, BASIC, etc.) and
way better than cassette. I also have 2 Helios units, both with broken
gears requiring some 3D printing when I can get around to it. Horrible
design , btw.

-J

ldkr...@gmail.com

Feb 9, 2024, 7:22:21 AMFeb 9
[quote]
I'm looking for a bit of help with CP/M and was hoping I could get some help, I'm trying to get a copy of CP/M 2.2 working on my Sol-20 in combination with my Morrow Disk Jockey; However, I'm not exactly sure how to patch the Morrow version of CP/M to work with the somewhat bizarre memory map of the Sol-20. If anybody has any resources to help, I'd really appreciate it.
[/quote]

I have three IMAGES that already have the Designs Disk Jockey 2D w/ Sol I/O inserted.

[code]
IMageDisk Analyzer 1.18 / Mar 12 2012
IMD TD 1.5 8" HD MFM S-step, 1 sides ADV 9/02/1993 21:29:14

CP/M 2.2 System Disk for Morrow Designs Disk Jockey 2D w/ Sol I/O

SSDD 256 byte sector, 1-26, 1:1

Required cylinders: 77
Required heads : 1
Data rate : 500kbps
Est. maximum track: 8951 bytes

Possible drives/options to write SOL20-1.IMD :

3.5" HD 80-track NOTE: *1 *2
Double-step: OFF

5.25" HD 80-track NOTE: *1
Double-step: OFF

8" 77-track
Double-step: OFF

*1 77 track image likely from 8" drive.
*2 Should fit on 360rpm drive, 300rpm drive will leave long end gap.
[/code]

DISK1:
[code]
$ cpmls -f comb -D SOL20-1.RAW
Name Bytes Recs Attr update create
------------ ------ ------ ---- ----------------- -----------------
A$ .ASM 10K 71
ANS .LIB 2K 3
ASM .COM 8K 64
BIOPS1 .BAS 2K 2
BIOPS2 .BAS 2K 2
BIOPS3 .BAS 2K 2
CALIB .ASM 2K 9
CALIB .BAS 2K 2
COIL .BAS 2K 3
COIL1 .BAS 2K 4
COIL2 .BAS 2K 4
CREF80 .COM 4K 30
DDT .COM 6K 38
DISPLAY .FOR 2K 9
ED .COM 8K 52
EPROM .BAS 2K 3
EPS80 .COM 2K 4
F80 .COM 26K 201
FORMT# .COM 2K 11
FORTH .ASM 2K 1
JUMP .ASM 2K 4
L80 .COM 8K 58
LOAD .COM 2K 14
M80 .COM 18K 137
MBASIC .COM 24K 190
MSGS .LIB 2K 6
OPTO .ASM 2K 3
PIP .COM 8K 58
PLL .BAS 2K 6
PLOT1 .BAS 2K 2
POSTEST .ASM 2K 1
POSTEST1.ASM 2K 10
POSTEST2.ASM 2K 4
PROB1 .ASM 16K 113
PROB1 .BAS 2K 13
PROBE .BAS 2K 6
PROG .ASM 2K 15
PROG .FOR 2K 3
SCAN .ASM 2K 13
SHAFT .ASM 2K 7
SLIDE .ASM 2K 10
STAT .COM 6K 41
SUBMIT .COM 2K 10
SYSGEN .COM 2K 10
TC1 .BAS 2K 3
TC2 .BAS 2K 2
TEMFLTR .BAS 2K 4
TEMFLTR1.BAS 2K 4
TEMPCAL .BAS 2K 1
UTIL .ASM 4K 24
VISC1 .BAS 2K 2
VISC2 .BAS 0K 0
VISC3 .BAS 2K 2
WS .SUB 2K 2
WSEPSON .COM 14K 110
WSMSGS .OVR 26K 195
WSOVLY1 .OVR 28K 222
WST .COM 14K 110
58 Files occupying 304K, 192K Free.
[/code]

DISK2:
[code]
$ cpmls -f comb -D SOL20-2.RAW
Name Bytes Recs Attr update create
------------ ------ ------ ---- ----------------- -----------------
ASM .COM 8K 64
CATF .ASM 8K 62
CATQ .ASM 6K 35
COPY .COM 8K 60
DDT .COM 6K 38
EXAM .ASM 8K 55
F80 .COM 26K 201
FORLIB .REL 24K 180
IRS .COM 20K 158
L80 .COM 12K 84
LIB .COM 6K 37
M80 .COM 20K 157
M80B .COM 20K 150
MBASIC .COM 24K 190
OBASIC .COM 18K 129
PIP .COM 8K 58
PRODUCT .D03 4K 25
RECIPE .D04 4K 24
RELOC .ASM 10K 78
SEQIO .LIB 12K 82
SID .COM 10K 80
STAT .COM 6K 44
VBOOT31 .ASM 4K 20
WS .COM 14K 110
WSMSGS .OVR 26K 195
WSOVLY1 .OVR 28K 222
WST .COM 14K 110
XIRS .COM 24K 182
28 Files occupying 376K, 120K Free.
[/code]

DISK3:
[code]
$ cpmls -f comb -D SOL20-3.RAW
Name Bytes Recs Attr update create
------------ ------ ------ ---- ----------------- -----------------
BASCOM .COM 34K 257
BASCOM .SUB 2K 3
BASLIB .REL 26K 195
BCLOAD . 2K 1
BRUN .COM 16K 121
CREF80 .COM 4K 31
ED .COM 8K 56
EPROMCHK.ASM 2K 6
EXM125 .TXT 6K 39
FORMT# .COM 2K 11
INSTALL .COM 28K 222
L80 .COM 12K 84
LIB80 .COM 6K 37
LOAD .COM 4K 18
M80 .COM 20K 157
OBSLIB .REL 48K 378
PIP .COM 8K 58
PROMPTER.ASM 12K 82
RANTEST .BAS 2K 3
RANTEST .COM 2K 11
STAT .COM 6K 44
SUBMIT .COM 2K 10
SYSGEN .COM 2K 10
WSU .COM 14K 112
XSUB .COM 2K 6
25 Files occupying 268K, 228K Free.
[/code]

https://u.pcloud.link/publink/show?code=kZdwe50Z5c2rtXPNwR7CcqwKbm9iupGUtlFX

Larry

Mike Douglas

Feb 10, 2024, 8:39:59 AMFeb 10
This is great Larry - thanks! I was in the process of creating a Sol-20 compatible BIOS and disk for the original poster from some disk images I have on deramp.com. These images use the serial port on the DJ2D as the console and use 1024 byte sectors instead of 256 byte sectors. It will be good to be able to compare these with your working images.

Mike D