Apple][+ 48K w/ MS Z-80 softcard CP/M to Gateway Win95

arobase, Salle multimédia

Feb 10, 2001, 5:46:44 AM2/10/01
Sorry, I don't understand very well your question.

If you want to transfer WS files, the question is: to what ?

As far as I know (since I have no IBM Clown), WS4 was
available under MS-DOS. I even think that I have read that
WS6 or WS7 existed.

So, the question is: do you want to use those files from a version of
WS running under MeSsy-DOS, or do you want to transfer
those files in ASCII (removing any WS code) and import
them to use them in a Windows (Aaarrrggghhh!!!...) program?

(Are they really so important ?)

Yours Sincerely,
"French Lurker"

Richard Plinston

Feb 11, 2001, 3:02:54 AM2/11/01
arobase, Salle multimédia wrote:

> As far as I know (since I have no IBM Clown), WS4 was
> available under MS-DOS. I even think that I have read that
> WS6 or WS7 existed.
>
> So, the question is: do you want to use those files from a version of
> WS running under MeSsy-DOS, or do you want to transfer
> those files in ASCII (removing any WS code) and import
> them to use them in a Windows (Aaarrrggghhh!!!...) program?

Actually there is/was WordStar for Windows (1 and 2)(W4W). This is an
excellent word processor that is frames based and it is usable by those
with WS trained fingers (mostly). It will directly read any DOS WS
files and correctly format them (mostly).

I didn't like WS 6 or 7, but I do like W4W and continue to use it for
most of my word processing needs.
There was a version of W4W on a magazine CD (without spell checker) so
this may be taken as a free distribution.

So the WS file just need to be copied to DOS and used under Windows.

Bert Morris

Feb 10, 2001, 6:07:25 PM2/10/01
to arobase, Salle multimédia

Bon soir, 'French Lurker,'

As the original poster I should have been better in my description. You
basically have the right idea. I want to transfer WordStar 3.01 (from
Micropro) files from my Apple][+ that is running on the old Microsoft
Z-80 SoftCard CP/M card in Apple Slot #4 to my new computer, a Gateway
P2 with Windows95. Because the files are on 5.25" floppies and CP/M
formatted, I cannot use them in the new machine -- even if I had 3.5"
diskettes from a CP/M Apple][ disk drive (which also I do not have), the
Gateway machine could not read them (at least I don't think it could).

In his reply, Richard Plinston suggests W4W. That might be the way for
me to go IF I can really get the file transfer thing to work. A Win95
DOS WordStar program could at least read all the files from the Apple][+
CP/M machine without too much trouble. And as I already have WordStar
"fingers" (so much faster than mouse clicking!), the version of W4W
should be a snap for me.

The only problem: ASCII file transfer by some means -- serial port,
parallel port, phone modem. I have tried and failed to get file transfer
by any of these methods, so far. And, yes, the files are important. The
entire business of the company, its records, etc. are on the old CP/M
format disks. I want to bring it all over to the Gateway so the
information is not lost and so I can continue to use it with printing
and other software on the Windows95 machine. Otherwise I face the
possibility of re-keystroking all the information -- 50 disks worth of
information, records, data, text copy. That is my LAST, least wanted
option.

Merci,
Bert

Steve

Feb 11, 2001, 12:21:09 AM2/11/01
---------------
Find an Apple/CP/M user to send you an Apple CP/M boot disk with MDM727
on it, so you can transfer all files to another computer by phone or by
Net using a shell account. Then do the WS conversion in DOS mode and a
separate issue, which it is.
-Steve
--
-Steve Walz rst...@armory.com ftp://ftp.armory.com/pub/user/rstevew
-Electronics Site!! 1000 Files/50 Dirs!! http://www.armory.com/~rstevew

anon...@bogus_address.con

Feb 11, 2001, 2:02:24 AM2/11/01

On 2001-02-10 bertm...@erols.com said:

>In his reply, Richard Plinston suggests W4W. That might be the way
>for me to go IF I can really get the file transfer thing to work. A
>Win95 DOS WordStar program could at least read all the files from
>the Apple][+ CP/M machine without too much trouble. And as I
>already have WordStar "fingers" (so much faster than mouse
>clicking!), the version of W4W should be a snap for me.

Most contemporary word processing programs -- likely including
the one that you currently use under WinDoze -- can handle
WorstStar files. Check the manual that came with your word
processor (if Gateway even bothered to include one. If not,
try your word processor's on-line help).

Now your only remaining problem is getting the files from the
Apple II over to your IBM clone.

Surely =someone= in this newsgroup would be willing to snail-
mail you an Apple II-compatible floppy disk containing a
communications program...preferably one which supports Ymodem
batch protocol.

That -- plus a DOS-based comm program on the Gateway side --
is going to be your ultimate answer.

Net-Tamer V 1.08X - Test Drive

Paul Schlyter

Feb 11, 2001, 3:15:02 AM2/11/01
In article <3A85C9AD...@erols.com>,

Bert Morris <bertm...@erols.com> wrote:

> The only problem: ASCII file transfer by some means -- serial port,
> parallel port, phone modem. I have tried and failed to get file transfer
> by any of these methods, so far. And, yes, the files are important. The
> entire business of the company, its records, etc. are on the old CP/M
> format disks. I want to bring it all over to the Gateway so the
> information is not lost and so I can continue to use it with printing
> and other software on the Windows95 machine. Otherwise I face the
> possibility of re-keystroking all the information -- 50 disks worth of
> information, records, data, text copy. That is my LAST, least wanted
> option.

Binary file transfers over the serial port with some comm. program
works fine -- I've transferred a number of CP/M disks from the Apple
II to the PC myself that way. I used Kermit as the file transfer
protocol, since it works well for transferring files between
dissimilar computers, even though it's somewhat inefficient.

Another alternative would be to use the utility ADT (Apple Disk
Transfer) to transfer your Apple II disks to your PC -- this will
give you a number of "disk images", i.e. files 140K large which
contains each and every sector on your Apple II diskettes. ADT runs
on Apple DOS 3.3 and is able to transfer any Apple II 5.25" 16-sector
35-track diskette to/from the PC. On the PC you can then write some
software which extracts the files from the Apple II CP/M disk images,
or run them on one of the Apple II emulators running on the PC Ask at
comp.sys.apple2 for more info on how to get and use ADT - it's for free.

Paul Schlyter, Swedish Amateur Astronomer's Society (SAAF)
Grev Turegatan 40, S-114 38 Stockholm, SWEDEN
e-mail: pausch at saaf dot se or paul.schlyter at ausys dot se
WWW: http://hotel04.ausys.se/pausch http://welcome.to/pausch

Bert Morris

Feb 11, 2001, 6:54:07 AM2/11/01
to anon...@bogus_address.com
anonymous@bogus_address.con wrote:

snip

> Now your only remaining problem is getting the files from the
> Apple II over to your IBM clone.

Yes, I agree!

> Surely =someone= in this newsgroup would be willing to snail-
> mail you an Apple II-compatible floppy disk containing a
> communications program...preferably one which supports Ymodem
> batch protocol.

I already have MODEM.ASM V2.0, the original Ward Christensen CP/M modem
file transfer program specifically modified to run on Apple][+ Z-80
Softcard CP/M through the Zoom/modem (compatible with a DC Hayes
Micromodem II). I used to use this 300 baud modem program regularly to
contact the local Apple Pi BBS. Today, modem-to-modem, using just a
phone cord DOES CURRENTLY WORK between both machines. I can type text on
either keyboard and see it come up on both screens, so the two computers
are at least *talking*, but a handshake and keystroke text is all that
is possible -- cannot access CP/M file transfer commands outside of the
modem/phoneline hookup; I just don't know 'how' you do that. I use the
Win95 Hyper Terminal program to capture the keystrokes -- of course,
"keystroking" is exactly what I want to avoid, here. I've tried to PIP
files over the modem connection as some suggested -- can't do it, don't
know what I'm doing wrong. I have also hooked both machine printer
cables together through the a/b switch and tried to get the Apple to
send text to the Gateway as if the Win95 machine was a printer buffer
but I cannot get handshake -- again, I just don't know 'how' to do it.
There is NO serial port capability on the Apple][ (unless someone tells
me otherwise).

> That -- plus a DOS-based comm program on the Gateway side --
> is going to be your ultimate answer.

If I can just get the data out of one machine and into the other...does
a DOS-based 'comm' program have to be on the Gateway side to receive the
data, or make use of the data after transfer? I don't know what you mean
here. What 'comm' program? Names, please.

Well, Anonymous,

Thanks for letting me rant and vent; the search goes on.

Regards,
Bert

Bert Morris

Feb 11, 2001, 6:53:22 AM2/11/01
to anon...@bogus_address.con
anonymous@bogus_address.con wrote:

snip

> Now your only remaining problem is getting the files from the
> Apple II over to your IBM clone.

Yes, I agree!

> Surely =someone= in this newsgroup would be willing to snail-
> mail you an Apple II-compatible floppy disk containing a
> communications program...preferably one which supports Ymodem
> batch protocol.

I already have MODEM.ASM V2.0, the original Ward Christensen CP/M modem

file transfer program specifically modified to run on Apple][+ Z-80
Softcard CP/M through the Zoom/modem (compatible with a DC Hayes
Micromodem II). I used to use this 300 baud modem program regularly to
contact the local Apple Pi BBS. Today, modem-to-modem, using just a
phone cord DOES CURRENTLY WORK between both machines. I can type text on
either keyboard and see it come up on both screens, so the two computers
are at least *talking*, but a handshake and keystroke text is all that
is possible -- cannot access CP/M file transfer commands outside of the
modem/phoneline hookup; I just don't know 'how' you do that. I use the
Win95 Hyper Terminal program to capture the keystrokes -- of course,
"keystroking" is exactly what I want to avoid, here. I've tried to PIP
files over the modem connection as some suggested -- can't do it, don't
know what I'm doing wrong. I have also hooked both machine printer
cables together through the a/b switch and tried to get the Apple to
send text to the Gateway as if the Win95 machine was a printer buffer
but I cannot get handshake -- again, I just don't know 'how' to do it.
There is NO serial port capability on the Apple][ (unless someone tells
me otherwise).

> That -- plus a DOS-based comm program on the Gateway side --
> is going to be your ultimate answer.

If I can just get the data out of one machine and into the other...does

Bert Morris

Feb 11, 2001, 6:55:05 AM2/11/01
to anon...@address.com
anonymous@bogus_address.con wrote:

snip

> Now your only remaining problem is getting the files from the
> Apple II over to your IBM clone.

Yes, I agree!

> Surely =someone= in this newsgroup would be willing to snail-
> mail you an Apple II-compatible floppy disk containing a
> communications program...preferably one which supports Ymodem
> batch protocol.

I already have MODEM.ASM V2.0, the original Ward Christensen CP/M modem

file transfer program specifically modified to run on Apple][+ Z-80
Softcard CP/M through the Zoom/modem (compatible with a DC Hayes
Micromodem II). I used to use this 300 baud modem program regularly to
contact the local Apple Pi BBS. Today, modem-to-modem, using just a
phone cord DOES CURRENTLY WORK between both machines. I can type text on
either keyboard and see it come up on both screens, so the two computers
are at least *talking*, but a handshake and keystroke text is all that
is possible -- cannot access CP/M file transfer commands outside of the
modem/phoneline hookup; I just don't know 'how' you do that. I use the
Win95 Hyper Terminal program to capture the keystrokes -- of course,
"keystroking" is exactly what I want to avoid, here. I've tried to PIP
files over the modem connection as some suggested -- can't do it, don't
know what I'm doing wrong. I have also hooked both machine printer
cables together through the a/b switch and tried to get the Apple to
send text to the Gateway as if the Win95 machine was a printer buffer
but I cannot get handshake -- again, I just don't know 'how' to do it.
There is NO serial port capability on the Apple][ (unless someone tells
me otherwise).

> That -- plus a DOS-based comm program on the Gateway side --
> is going to be your ultimate answer.

If I can just get the data out of one machine and into the other...does

Bert Morris

Feb 11, 2001, 7:22:23 AM2/11/01
to Paul Schlyter
Paul Schlyter wrote:

> Binary file transfers over the serial port with some comm. program
> works fine -- I've transferred a number of CP/M disks from the Apple
> II to the PC myself that way. I used Kermit as the file transfer
> protocol, since it works well for transferring files between
> dissimilar computers, even though it's somewhat inefficient.
>
> Another alternative would be to use the utility ADT (Apple Disk
> Transfer) to transfer your Apple II disks to your PC -- this will
> give you a number of "disk images", i.e. files 140K large which
> contains each and every sector on your Apple II diskettes. ADT runs
> on Apple DOS 3.3 and is able to transfer any Apple II 5.25" 16-sector
> 35-track diskette to/from the PC. On the PC you can then write some
> software which extracts the files from the Apple II CP/M disk images,
> or run them on one of the Apple II emulators running on the PC Ask at
> comp.sys.apple2 for more info on how to get and use ADT - it's for free.

Dear Paul,

OK, 'what' serial port on the Apple? Which card, what device is the
serial one. My modem is a phoneline (is THAT what you mean by serial?
explain, please); my printer is parallel. I already have CP/M file
transfer program - MODEM.ASM V2.0 by Ward Christensen. It works for BBS
calls at 300 baud; it also DOES CONNECT NOW with the PC; however, only
text handshake, no file transfer, I don't know 'how' to do this yet.
Please tell me if YOU do; save us ALL some time! I'm sure I'm missing
something mind bogglingly simple -- but I don't know what it is or where
to begin.

The ADT sounds interesting, but you don't say 'how' to do it. By what
means does the ADT get the data actually 'transferred' from the Apple][
5.25 diskettes to the PC? How? And can it read CP/M files on an Apple ][
drive? I have two Apple][ drives (A: & B:) but can an 'Apple DOS 3.3'
utility work to copy files on an adjacent CP/M diskette? Describe how
this works. I will post to comp.sys.apple2 to obtain ADT. In the
meantime, pretend I'm a five-year-old in the dark; keep it really
simple, I just need you to show me where the light switch is.

Thanks for all your help.

Regards,
Bert

Steve

Feb 11, 2001, 2:31:23 PM2/11/01
-------------------
In CP/M if you also have a modem program for CP/M then disconnect your
modem from your serial port, you don't need it. Disconnect the modem
from your PC running a modem program also, you don't need it. Connect
your two computers, the PC and the Apple running CP/M with a null modem
cable (pins 2-3 3-2, 4-5 5-4, 6-20 20-6, and 7-7 end-other_end), and
pretend you have modems and that you're talking on the phone. Except you
don't NEED the phone now. Then transfer files with Xmodem or Ymodem
protocol.

Bert Morris

Feb 11, 2001, 5:51:38 PM2/11/01
to Steve
Steve wrote:
> snip

> -------------------
> In CP/M if you also have a modem program for CP/M then disconnect your
> modem from your serial port, you don't need it. Disconnect the modem
> from your PC running a modem program also, you don't need it. Connect
> your two computers, the PC and the Apple running CP/M with a null modem
> cable (pins 2-3 3-2, 4-5 5-4, 6-20 20-6, and 7-7 end-other_end), and
> pretend you have modems and that you're talking on the phone. Except you
> don't NEED the phone now. Then transfer files with Xmodem or Ymodem
> protocol.
> -Steve

Dear Steve,

OK, but HOW! Like I have previously posted, I am missing something
REALLY basic, here. My Apple][+ modem is a circuit board installed in
Apple][ expansion slot #2 (all 8 expansion slots are internal on the
motherboard, numbered 0 thru 7, 0 being the first slot, 2 being the
third slot, etc. Each of these eight peripheral "slots" along the back
edge of the Apple][+ board are Winchester #2HW25CO-111 50-pin PC card
edge connectors with pins on .10" centers.

There is NO "serial card" or "serial port" that I know of to disconnect
anything from; this is not a Mac. It is an apple][+, circa 1980. My
question: WHAT, WHERE is this "serial port" or "serial device" everyone
talks about using?

Second. Actually disconnect the modems? Physically remove them from each
machine? Why?

Third. Connect the two computers with a 'null modem' cable? Yes, I know
WHAT a null modem is, I know what pinout assignments are, etc., but WHAT
does it connect to? Actually, physically WHERE does it attach on the
Apple][+ and on the Gateway Win95? (Don't you DARE say the serial
port!).

Thanks in advance for ALL your help. I appreciate it!

Regards,
Bert

CBFalconer

Feb 11, 2001, 6:17:02 PM2/11/01
Bert Morris wrote:

> anonymous@bogus_address.con wrote:
> >
> snip
>
> > Now your only remaining problem is getting the files from the
> > Apple II over to your IBM clone.
>
> Yes, I agree!
> >
> > Surely =someone= in this newsgroup would be willing to snail-
> > mail you an Apple II-compatible floppy disk containing a
> > communications program...preferably one which supports Ymodem
> > batch protocol.
>
> I already have MODEM.ASM V2.0, the original Ward Christensen CP/M modem
> file transfer program specifically modified to run on Apple][+ Z-80
> Softcard CP/M through the Zoom/modem (compatible with a DC Hayes
> Micromodem II). I used to use this 300 baud modem program regularly to
> contact the local Apple Pi BBS. Today, modem-to-modem, using just a
> phone cord DOES CURRENTLY WORK between both machines. I can type text on
> either keyboard and see it come up on both screens, so the two computers
> are at least *talking*, but a handshake and keystroke text is all that

MDM can send via XModem, at least. Hyperterm can receive that.
What is the problem? You have to tell both programs what to do,
and if you don't start the receiver soon enough the sender times
out.

And why did you find it necessary to post the SAME message three
times in two minutes?

--
Chuck F (cbfal...@my-deja.com) (cbfal...@XXXXworldnet.att.net)
http://www.qwikpages.com/backstreets/cbfalconer

Bert Morris

Feb 11, 2001, 6:24:28 PM2/11/01
to cbfal...@worldnet.att.net
CBFalconer wrote:

snip

> MDM can send via XModem, at least. Hyperterm can receive that.
> What is the problem? You have to tell both programs what to do,
> and if you don't start the receiver soon enough the sender times
> out.
>
> And why did you find it necessary to post the SAME message three
> times in two minutes?

Dear Chuck,

Very sorry, my bad! I did not intentionally send it three times -- I
have NO idea why my PC sent it three times. Perhaps jumping back and
forth between three or four different posters messages, trying to read a
hint here, a fact there -- I dunno how this d*mn machine actually works!

But, back to your observation: MDM? What is it, how do I get it?

And, thanks for all your help. I appreciate it greatly!

Regards,
Bert

Paul Schlyter

Feb 11, 2001, 5:03:51 PM2/11/01
In article <3A86E8...@armory.com>, Steve <rst...@armory.com> wrote:

> In CP/M if you also have a modem program for CP/M then disconnect your
> modem from your serial port, you don't need it. Disconnect the modem
> from your PC running a modem program also, you don't need it. Connect
> your two computers, the PC and the Apple running CP/M with a null modem
> cable (pins 2-3 3-2, 4-5 5-4, 6-20 20-6, and 7-7 end-other_end), and
> pretend you have modems and that you're talking on the phone. Except you
> don't NEED the phone now. Then transfer files with Xmodem or Ymodem
> protocol.

One note: most PC's don't have the standard 25-pin RS-232 connector,
but instead a 9-pin variety:

Definition:

RS-232 9-pin 25-pin Description

DCD --------- 1 ---------- 8 -------- Data Carrier Detect
Rx --------- 2 ---------- 3 -------- Receive data
Tx --------- 3 ---------- 2 -------- Transmit data
DTR --------- 4 ---------- 20 -------- Data Terminal Ready
GND --------- 5 ---------- 7 -------- Ground
DSR --------- 6 ---------- 6 -------- Data Set Ready ("Data Set" = modem)
RTS --------- 7 ---------- 4 -------- Request To Send
CTS --------- 8 ---------- 5 -------- Clear To Send
RI --------- 9 ---------- 22 -------- Ring Indicator

DCD -- Modem raises this high when it detects a data carrier
Rx -- Computer receives data from modem
Tx -- Computer send data to modem
DTR -- Computer raises this high when ready to receive
GND -- Common signal ground
DSR -- Modem raises this high when ready to receive
RTS -- Computer raises this high when it wants to send (useful for half duplex)
CTS -- Modem raises this high when it's ready to receive
RI -- Modem raises this high when a "ring" signal arrives at phone line

Full Null Modem cable (RI need not be connected):

GND -------- GND
Rx <------- Tx
Tx -------> Rx
RTS -------> CTS,DCD
DCD,CTS <------- RTS
DTR -------> DSR
DSR <------- DTR

Minimal Null Modem cable -- works sometimes, depending on the software:

GND -------- GND
Rx <------- Tx
Tx -------> Rx

Another simple Null Modem cable (on each side, connect RTS with
CTS+DCD and also connect DSR with DTR). Usually works but fails
to detect when the other side has been disconnected:

GND -------- GND
Rx <------- Tx
Tx -------> Rx

RTS \ / CTS,DCD
DCD,CTS / \ RTS

DTR \ / DSR
DSR / \ DTR

Paul Schlyter

Feb 11, 2001, 5:03:33 PM2/11/01
In article <3A8683FF...@erols.com>,
Bert Morris <bertm...@erols.com> wrote:

> Paul Schlyter wrote:
>
>> Binary file transfers over the serial port with some comm. program
>> works fine -- I've transferred a number of CP/M disks from the Apple
>> II to the PC myself that way. I used Kermit as the file transfer
>> protocol, since it works well for transferring files between
>> dissimilar computers, even though it's somewhat inefficient.
>>
>> Another alternative would be to use the utility ADT (Apple Disk
>> Transfer) to transfer your Apple II disks to your PC -- this will
>> give you a number of "disk images", i.e. files 140K large which
>> contains each and every sector on your Apple II diskettes. ADT runs
>> on Apple DOS 3.3 and is able to transfer any Apple II 5.25" 16-sector
>> 35-track diskette to/from the PC. On the PC you can then write some
>> software which extracts the files from the Apple II CP/M disk images,
>> or run them on one of the Apple II emulators running on the PC Ask at
>> comp.sys.apple2 for more info on how to get and use ADT - it's for free.
>
> Dear Paul,
>
> OK, 'what' serial port on the Apple? Which card, what device is the
> serial one. My modem is a phoneline (is THAT what you mean by serial?
> explain, please); my printer is parallel.

Slot 2 usually contains a serial card. It can contain an internal
modem too, though.

Do you have an internal modem in your Apple? If so, then you have no
separate serial card. A serial card is usually the Super Serial Card,
or sometimes the older Apple Comm. Card. The Apple //c has the serial
port integrated into the computer.

Does your modem only work at 300 bps? That's a little slow to
transfer 50 diskettes of company critical data. If that data is so
important, then I'd recommend you to buy a Super Serial Card just to
get the data off these diskettes much faster (up to 19200 bps). You
can probably find a used Super Serial Card in ebay, or you may ask in
comp.sys.apple2 if someone has such a card for sale.

> I already have CP/M file transfer program - MODEM.ASM V2.0 by Ward
> Christensen. It works for BBS calls at 300 baud; it also DOES CONNECT
> NOW with the PC; however, only text handshake, no file transfer,

Not even any XMODEM file transfer?

> I don't know 'how' to do this yet.

> Please tell me if YOU do; save us ALL some time!

I used Kermit, patched to work with my Apple-Card CP/M and my old
Apple Comm Card (hardware strapped to run at 4800 bps instead of 300
bps), to get the CP/M files off the Apple II CP/M disks onto my PC.

There are also other, simpler, programs, having names like XMODEM,
YMODEM, MODEM7, etc. I would recommend you to stay away from XMODEM
if possible: that file transfer procotol transfers only one single
file at a time, and it doesn't transfer the name of the file! (which
means you're forced to type in that file name in your receiving
XMODEM program). YMODEM transfers multiple files including their
file names. Kermit does that too, of course, and also offers you to
transfer the file in Text or Binary mode; in Text mode, all the final
Ctrl-Z's are stripped away during the transfer (if you use Kermit,
make sure you don't use Text mode unless the file really is an ASCII
text file; transferring non-ASCII files in Text mode may corrupt
these files).

> I'm sure I'm missing something mind bogglingly simple -- but I don't
> know what it is or where to begin.
>
> The ADT sounds interesting, but you don't say 'how' to do it.

That's explained in the docs which comes along with ADT.

> By what means does the ADT get the data actually 'transferred'
> from the Apple][ 5.25 diskettes to the PC? How?

By reading each and every track and sector on the diskette and
transferring them, one after another. Evernything is stored on
one single file on the PC -- such a file is called a "disk image'.

> And can it read CP/M files on an Apple ][ drive?

Nope! It cannot read DOS or ProDOS files either btw.
ADT knows nothing about files or file system -- all it knows
(i.e. assumes) about the diskette is that it has 35 tracks of
16 sectors each -- and ADT transfers all of it -- including
unused parts of the diskette.

> I have two Apple][ drives (A: & B:) but can an 'Apple DOS 3.3'
> utility work to copy files on an adjacent CP/M diskette?

Yes! This can be done in one of two ways:

1. Have the utility recognize the CP/M file system -- that's how the
utility CPMXFER works: it's an Apple DOS utility which transfers
files from a CP/M diskette to an Apple DOS diskette (there's another
utility -- APDOS -- which runs under Apple CP/M and transfers files
in the other direction).

2. Have the utility ignore any file system and just deal with the
diskette as tracks and sectors. That's how ADT works.

> Describe how this works.

Done - see above.

> I will post to comp.sys.apple2 to obtain ADT. In the
> meantime, pretend I'm a five-year-old in the dark; keep it really
> simple, I just need you to show me where the light switch is.

Do grap a copy of the Apple II FAQ, at:

Ground and USENET MIT offer pure Text for downloading or Viewing via
an FTP program ...
ftp://ground.ecn.uiowa.edu/apple2/Faqs/
ftp://rtfm.mit.edu/pub/usenet/news.answers/apple2/faq/

Text on the USA2WUG site is line-length formatted for
on-line perusing via Netscape, etc. ...
http://www.grin.net/~cturley/A2.FAQs.and.INFO/CSA2.FAQs/

HTML web site versions of the FAQs are available on the
II Computing and Apple II Help Page sites ...

http://home.swbell.net/rubywand/A2FAQs1START.html
http://members.xoom.com/apple_II/faqs.html (under construction)

This is from that Apple II FAQ:

Telecom-1 Hardware & Transfers

001- How do I transfer files between my Apple and a PC or Mac?
002- How do I transfer/convert my A2 word processor files to a PC?
003- How do I use ADT & ap2222pc to transfer disks between A2 & PC?
004- How do I transfer files between computers using NULL modem?
005- How do I NULL-modem Text files without getting garbage?
006- How do I make a "NULL Modem" cable?
007- What is the maximum length for a NULL modem connection?
008- I have a Super Serial Card. What cable should I use?
009- How do I make a GS hardware handshake High-Speed modem cable?
010- What is the fastest modem I can use on my Apple II?
011- What telecom programs run on Apple II computers?
012- Where can I get ADT, ADTgs, Agate, Modem MGR, Spectrum ...?
013- What are the settings for the Apple Super Serial Card?
014- What are the Serial Pro card's dip switch settings?
015- What are the settings for an Apple Serial Interface Card?
016- What cable can I use to do NULL modem transfers with my IIc?
017- What cable(s) can I use to connect a modem to my IIc?
018- How can I connect a modem with a Dsub-9 socket to my IIgs?
019- What is the maximum modemming speed I can get from my IIgs?
020- How can I transfer files from PC to GS using Zip disks?
021- How do I get an Applesoft program into a PC-DOS computer?
022- I want to use a fax modem with my //GS. Is this possible?
023- Can I do modem-to-modem transfers between my home computers?
024- What cable can I use to do Apple //c <---> PC ADT transfers?

From: Rubywand

001- How do I transfer files between my Apple and a PC or Mac?

The best, most flak-free way to move stuff between your Apple II and PC
or Mac is via a standard NULL modem transfer. (A NULL modem connection joins a
serial port of the Apple II to a serial port of a PC, Mac, etc. via a NULL
modem connector joining modem cables from each computer. Radio Shack and
ThinkStuff sell NULL modem connectors/cables.) The usual way to get the most
out of this connection is to have a telecom program on the Apple II talking to
a telecom program on the PC or Mac. For more information on standard NULL
modem transfers see Q&A 004 below.

A variation of the standard NULL modem setup is a software package plus
cable specifically designed for transferring files between computers. For
information on such a package, see Q&A 002 below.

Other ways of doing a direct PC-Apple II transfer include ADT and Ap2222.
These software packages include A2 and PC programs which let the user do
transfers via serial ports (ADT) or game port and printer port (Ap2222). They
are, mainly, intended for moving whole A2 5.25" disks. For more information,
see Q&A 003 below.

Another option is to use a BBS-- perhaps your own company BBS-- or an
internet website, ftp site, etc.. You upload from one machine and download
with the other. For more information about uploading and downloading, see the
Telecom-2 FAQs.

A completely different approach is to move files on diskette. For PC
transfers, this requires that either the Apple II or the PC have a plug-in
card and disk drive which lets it read diskettes from the other machine. For
example, an Apple II could have a PC Transporter board with a PC drive
connected; or, the PC could have a TrackStar board with an Apple II drive
connected.

Depending upon model, installed OS, and available utilities, Macs can
exchange files with Apple II computers via ProDOS and HFS 3.5" diskettes. Macs
with the A2 plug-in board can handle standard 5.25" A2 diskettes.

----------------------------

From: SuperTimer

If your other computer is a Mac, you can format a Mac HFS (standard)
DS/DD 3.5" disk and the GS can read and write it if you have the HFS FST
installed. That's how I exchange files with a Mac...

----------------------------

From: MDRipley37

For Mac users, there is a shareware utility named "][2Mac" for
transferring 5.25" diskettes from Apple II computers to Mac as IIe- and Bernie
][ the Rescue-compatible disk images. It works for transferring images from
Mac to Apple II diskettes, too. I have used it for over a hundred transfers
with no problems and Apple II disks that boot up just like the originals.

____________________________

From: Rubywand

002- How can I transfer and convert word processor files from an
Apple II to a PC Microsoft format (DOS, Word)?

There is a Sequential Systems package named "CrossWorks" which lets you
transfer Appleworks, Word Perfect, text, and other ProDOS files to a PC and
transform them to a variety of PC formats including those which fit a variety
of PC word processors:

Some Automatic File Conversions

AppleWorks <-> Microsoft Works
word processor (keeps underline, bold, margins, etc.), spreadsheet (keeps
formulas), & data base

AppleWorks <-> WordPerfect
word processor (keeps underline, bold, margins, etc.) Version 4.1 through 5.1

AppleWorks <-> Lotus 1-2-3
spreadsheet (keeps formulas, cells widths & formats, etc.)

AppleWorks <-> dBase III, III+, IV
data base (also works with Q&A, Paradox, R:Base, Fox Base, Clipper, & others

CrossWorks includes Apple & PC software plus an 8' cable which connects your
IIe, IIc, IIc+, or IIGS to a PC.

____________________________

From: Bill Mackin

003- I've heard of ADT and ap2222pc. How do these packages work for
transferring Apple II disks between an Apple II and a PC?

Yesterday I downloaded ap2222pc.zip. It was written by some guy in Hong
Kong. You buy a 25-pin male parallel port connector and two 8-pin DIP sockets
from Radio Shack. He gives the wiring diagram for connecting 9 wires between
them. You type in a 6502 assembly program on your apple at address 300. Save
the program, shut things off, hook up the wire from your PC printer port to
the Apple Game Controller socket, turn them on, and run his programs.

It copies whole Apple disk images over to the PC, or PC to Apple, or
individual files back and forth! It works great! I've already made 26 disk
images from my old Apple disks (great for backup, too!) and have been playing
the games from them, moving games around, etc.

I only had one problem with the ap2222pc program; the first time I ran
it, my PC was already in Windows and I had printed something to a HP LaserJet
IV from it; when I turned the Apple on after hooking up the cable, the Apple
locked up, giving me several different hi-res graphics screens in series, no
beep, and no cursor. The problem went away when I turned the Apple on first,
then the PC.

----------------------------

From: Ronny Svedman

The only hook/problem with using ADT (Apple Disk Transfer) is getting
the ADT program onto an Apple II disk for the first time. To do this you set
your Super Serial Card to 300 bps, no parity, strip 8th bit. Then you boot
your AppleII with DOS 3.3 from a disk with some free space, type IN#<whatever
slot # your SSC is in> (usually, it will be Slot 2) and use a PC terminal
program to send the ADT utility. The author has provided a text file that
enters the monitor, types itself into memory, and BSAVE's itself to the disk.
Amazingly clever!

Then, you reboot the apple, setup adt for desired port, speed &
diskdrive, do the same on the PC, and Voila: it works. From here it is really
straightforward: you control everything from the apple side, using simple
commands (there is good on-screen help).

When it comes to transferring disk images from PC--> Apple II diskette,
ADT does this for you. Simply put a DOS 3.3 formatted 16-sector disk in the
drive. If you download a ProDOS image onto a DOS 3.3 formatted disk thats no
problm, since ADT writes ALL of the disk, so you get a bootable ProDOS disk
from a bootable ProDOS image. Likewise with Pascal and Apple Cp/M disks.

----------------------------

From: Rubywand

ADT can transfer 5.25" 16-sector A2 disks from your Apple II to your PC
or 5.25" .dsk disk image files from the PC to the Apple II. This includes DOS
3.3, ProDOS, and Pascal disks. (ADTgs will, at present, do only PC-to-Apple II
disk image transfers.)

The utility will not correctly transfer most copy protected disks to the
PC; and, it will not transfer ProDOS-order (.po) disk image files to the Apple
II.

ADT requires a fairly simple NULL modem type connection. I used standard
modem cables from each computer going to a NULL modem connector.

It also requires the Apple II side to have a Super Serial Card installed
or to have an SSC-compatible serial port. The usual version of ADT will not
work on a IIgs via the built-in serial ports because the IIgs Serial
Controller IC is not compatible with the Controller used on the Super Serial
Card. For PC-->IIgs 5.25" disk image transfers using the built-in modem serial
port, IIgs owners can use ADTgs.

I tried ADT with our II+ which has a decent serial card which is not
SSC-compatible. The initial transfer of the Apple II ADT program (at 300
baud) went fine-- by the way, this transfer _needs_ to be at 300 baud. But,
when it came to using the ADT progam to do disk transfers, no luck. However,
the program worked well on our Apple IIc+. (A regular GS modem cable was
connected to the IIc+)

One more thing which is nice to know is that the ADT program you run on
the PC to do disk transfers (Adt.exe) definitely wants to run under PC DOS. If
you are in Windows 95, 98, etc., you should restart your PC in DOS Mode to run
Adt.exe.

The ADT and ADTgs packages include both the PC software and the Apple II
software plus directions.

----------------------------

From: Delfs

Here's an easier way to get the ADT program to the Apple II from an AT
class computer. Set up the Apple II as suggested using the IN# command from a
DOS 3.3 boot disk. On the AT computer side, get to a DOS prompt and
Change-dir (cd) to get to the folder where the adtgs.dmp file is located. Then
type the following two lines instead of worrying about the modem software:

mode comX: baud=30 data=8 parity=n
type adtgs.dmp >comX:

Replace the "X" with the com port# (1 or 2) for the com port connected to the
Apple II.

This method is limited to com1 or com2 on the AT class computer, but
works well across a null modem cable. I have verified this twice, both times
at the normal speeds of the apple computers (IIe & IIgs) and using MSDOS6 and
a MSWin9x DOS window.

____________________________

From: Rubywand

004- How do I transfer files between computers using NULL modem?

You will need a NULL modem connector and each computer needs a modem
cable and telecom program. A IIe or II+ will also need a serial card.

____________ ____________
| PC or Mac | | Apple II |
| running a | | running a |
| telecom | <--modem--> [NULL modem] <--modem--> | telecom |
| program | cable [connector ] cable | program |
|____________| |____________|

"NULL modem" means "no modem". A NULL modem connector is just a pair of
connectors wired 'back to back' with a few lines switched so that each
computer views the other pretty much as though it were a modem. Radio Shack,
ThinkStuff, and other places sell NULL modem adaptors in the form of small
modules or short cables for a few dollars; or, you can make your own.

On the Apple II side, you can choose from several good telecom programs.
Since you would like to be able to do Z-modem transfers, good choices include
Intrec's ProTerm-A2 3.1 (Enhanced IIe -- IIgs), MGR Software's Modem MGR (II+
-- IIgs), Agate (Enhanced IIe -- IIgs), AnsiTerm (IIgs), and Spectrum (IIgs).
You can also choose from among many other programs. Generally, these support
X-modem but do not support Z-modem.

If you're running under a current version of Windows, HyperTerm works
very nicely on the PC side. (For sending Text files from PC to Apple under HT,
be sure to uncheck "send line enders" in the ASCII settings.) If there is a
choice of terminal emulations, it seems best to stick with something simple,
such as "TTY". A good NULL modemming program for running under DOS is
Telemate, commonly available as shareware. Many other telecom programs are
available and work fine under current Windows, old Windows, and DOS.
Similarly, there is a good selection of Mac telecom wares.

To do transfers, you just connect the modem cable from each machine to
the NULL modem connector. If your PC or Mac has a spare COM port, the
connection can remain in place without disrupting normal net connections
through the other COM port.

[Modem to net]

modem cable
COM1
____ |______ ____________
| PC or Mac | | Apple II |
| running a | COM2 | running a |
| telecom | <--modem--> [NULL modem] <--modem--> | telecom |
| program | cable [connector ] cable | program |
|____________| |____________|

If you can not use a separate PC or Mac port for your connection to the
Apple II, you can move the PC modem cable connection from your net modem to
the NULL modem for doing transfers or use a switch box.

For a GS, the modem cable should be a "high speed" type which allows
hardware handshaking and this option should be set in the GS telecom software.
For best transfer rates, the same is true for other Apple II's with serial
ports or boards (like the Super Serial Card) which can do hardware
handshaking.

Set the same format (8-N-1), flow control (Hardware or Xon/Xoff), and
baud rate on each telecom program.

Note: "8-N-1" means 8 data bits, No parity, 1 Stop bit. Today, most ports and
cables will support hardware handshaking; so, this should be the usual flow
control setting. (If it does not work, check your cable to see that
connections match those suggested for your Apple II and interface. If you can
not get hardware handshaking to work, then try Xon/Xoff software flow
control.)

A good first-try speed setting seems to be 9600 baud. If you get errors,
try moving down to 2400 baud (or, in at least one reported instance, moving up
to 19,200). An accelerated GS running Spectrum can connect with modern PC's
running HyperTerm at 57.6k baud or better.

Note: Spectrum, ProTerm 3.1, Modem MGR, and some other newer Apple II telecom
programs do not require that you modify IIgs Control Panel settings for speed
and handshaking. Since Spectrum directly accesses the GS serial port, speed,
etc. settings are done in the program. (By the way, this frees-up Slot 2 --
the GS modem firmware Slot-- for any peripheral card which needs to have its
Slot set to "Your Card" in the Control Panel.)

Note: On the PC, HyperTerm allows setting the Port Configuration-- i.e.
Format, Baud Rate, and Flow Control for COM1 or COM2-- for a particular setup
which you can save under a name, like "GSxfers.ht". Whenever you start
HyperTerm to do transfers to/from the GS, you need to Open GSxfers.ht (or
whatever you name it) in order have your setup in place.

Place each program in terminal mode-- often, this is the default mode.
Or, the particular telecom program may have menu items or buttons you select
for specific kinds of transfers.

Next, you will usually select the function (send or receive) on each
machine and the protocol. The protocol should be the same on both machines.
Z-modem is the best choice for most single or multiple file transfers. (Text
files can be an exception-- see the next question. A plain ASCII transfer will
circumvent most problems but is slower; and, you may need to send and
receive/capture files one-by-one instead of in batches.)

Finally, you will select the file or files to send or "Open".

At the start, some experimentation is likely to be involved in getting
your computer-to-computer transfers going. For example, you may find that it
matters which end you start first. (When using ZLink on the Apple II and doing
an X-modem transfer, start the Send side first, then the Receive side.) If
your setup works best starting Receive first, you may find that one telecom
program or the other does not give you enough time to start Send-- i.e. it
keeps "timing out". The fix is to change the program's "Time Out",
"Inactivity Delay", etc. setting.

Note: Some telecom programs may expect an end-of-send signal which the sending
program does not supply. Pressing CTRL-X or RETURN on the Apple II or ESC on
the PC often seems to work okay for terminating the Send.

----------------------------

From: Jeff Blakeney

You don't need to manually tell Spectrum or other modern telecom programs
to receive a file each time you do a Z-modem transfer. Just make sure that you
have Auto Receives turned ON. In Spectrum the setting is in the Settings/File
Transfer/Receive Options... dialog.

____________________________

From: Rubywand

005- How do I NULL-modem Text files without getting garbage?

The main problem in A2-PC Text file transfers is that Text files created
by the PC use a CR _and_ an LF to end a line whereas Apple II-created Text
files use just a CR. So; PC files show up on Apple II displays with annoying
"#" or inverse "?" symbols; and, Apple II files show up on PC displays with
long, un-terminated lines interspersed with block symbols.

For PC-to-A2 Text file transfers, Z-modem, X-modem, etc. usually work
fine if you have some way to deal with the extra Control characters, mainly
line feeds. On the GS, Appleworks 5 does a good job of automatically cleaning
out such garbage; and, Text editors like ShadowWrite and CoolWriter have
options to quickly strip out offending line-feed Control characters. Some
telecom programs, including Spectrum, have Text editors which can strip out
Control characters and perform other manipulations to clean up a file.

An alternative is to do a plain ASCII Text transfer. (The PC telecom
program should be told _not_ to add line feeds or "line enders".) Depending
upon your A2 telecom program, the result may be saved from your Capture
Buffer, captured directly to an on-disk Text file, or selected and saved from
the Scrollback buffer.

Similarly, for A2-to-PC Text transfers, you can use Z-modem or some other
block transfer protocol if you have a PC utility which can convert Apple II
text to text PC's like. For example, one way to send several Text files is to
put them in a .SHK file, Z-modem them to the PC, and use Nulib (v3.24) to
unshrink the files in PC Text format.

Otherwise, you are probably better off doing a Text transfer. Set your A2
telecom program to "send LF's". If there is a "Prompting" option it should be
OFF. Do an "ASCII Text", "Plain Text", etc. Send. The PC telecom program
should be set to Receive Text if this option is available. If it is not, you
will be able to select and save the text from the PC program's display or save
the text from some capture buffer.

Some programs with a "Receive Text" option may expect some end-of-send
signal which the sending program does not supply. Pressing CTRL-X on the
Apple II or ESC on the PC often seems to work okay for terminating the Send.
For example, Telemate will ask if you wish to abort the transfer-- you answer
"Y"es-- but, the file will still be saved on the PC.

Other programs may expect you to click something to signal the end of a
transfer. If you are using HyperTerm to receive text on your PC, you select
"Stop" in the Transfer--Capture menu to end the transfer.

----------------------------

From: Edhel Iaur, Esq.

Appleworks 5.x seems to do a pretty good job of cleaning up text files
from the net. (e.g. it automatically clears out the annoying LF's which show
up in most text file viewers.) There is, also, a standard Awks macro which
will get rid of end-of-every-line CR's.

____________________________

From: Rubywand

006- Does anyone have directions for making a "NULL Modem" cable?

A typical NULL modem is two Dsub 25-pin female sockets (call them "A" and
"B") wired back-to-back as follows ...

Socket-A Socket-B

2 -> 3
3 -> 2
4 -> 5
5 -> 4
6 & 8 -> 20
7 -> 7
20 -> 6 & 8

Note: 6 & 8 are connected at each socket. (That is, if you are making a cable
instead of using back-to-back sockets, you do not want to run 6 and 8
separately to pin 20 on the other socket. For back-to-back sockets, it's okay
to run separate short leads if you like.)

A Dsub-25 female connector viewed from the front
,----------------------------------------.
\ 13 12 11 10 09 08 07 06 05 04 03 02 01 /
\ 25 24 23 22 21 20 19 18 17 16 15 14 /
`------------------------------------'

If you can find a couple old-style Dsub-25 plug casings, the sockets can
be mounted and the casings can be glue-gunned together to make a nice compact
unit.

For Apple2-PC (or Mac, etc.) transfers, you plug the modem cable from the
Apple II into one side of the NULL modem and the modem cable from the PC into
the other side. If the PC has a 9-pin serial port connector, use a 9-to-25
adaptor cable to connect to the NULL modem. Similarly,for Mac users, if the
Mac cable has a special connector, use a converter to a male Dsub-25M
connector for plugging into the NULL modem.

----------------------------

007- What is the maximum length for a computer-to-computer
NULL modem hardware-handshaking connection?

Most texts agree that around 50 feet is the 'safe' maximum length.

----------------------------

008- I'm using the Super Serial Card. What cable should I use
to get Hardware Handshaking?

According to a diagram in the "Modem Works" manual, there is a special
modem cable recommended for connecting to a Super Serial Card to get hardware
handshaking flow control:

SSC side Modem side
25-pin 25-pin

2 -------> 2
3 <------- 3
4 -------> 4
5 & 8 <--- 5
6 <------- 8
7 <------> 7
20 ------> 20

For NULL modem transfers, the Modem side plugs into the NULL modem connector.

____________________________

From: Tae Song (White Wolf)

009- Does anyone out there in Net.Land have the pin connections
to use for a GS CTS/RTS hardware handshake compatible
"High-Speed" modem cable?

View is looking into the cable connector/plug at the pins.

Male Mini-Din 8 RS-232 Male Dsub-25M

6 7 8 01 02 03 04 05 06 07 08 09 10 11 12 13
3 4 5 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25
1 2

DIN-8 Dsub-25M Signal Discription

3 2 TD (Transmit Data)
5 3 RD (Receive Data)
4,8 7 GND (Ground)
2 5 CTS (Clear to Send)
1 4,20 RTS & DTR (Ready to Send and Data Term Ready)
7 8 DCD (Data Carrier Dectect)

____________________________

From: David Empson, Richard Der, Rubywand

010- What is the fastest modem I can use on my Apple II?

//e and earlier Apple II's: These require a serial card which usually
plugs into Slot 2. In general, the card determines maximum connection speed
for these computers.

Many early serial cards max out at 9600 baud. Apple's Super Serial Card
(SSC) and compatible serial cards max out at 19,200 baud. (Lightning Systems
made a "Turbo ASB board" add-on for the SSC which extends speed to 230,400. A
1MHz Apple II with the SSC and Turbo ASB should be good for 57.6k baud.)

//c and IIc+: These machines have built-in serial ports which are
generally compatible with software specified as requiring a Super Serial Card.

Original //c releases use a cheap method of generating the clock
frequency for the serial ports. Most implementations based on the 6551 chip
use a 1.8432 MHz crystal, which gives exact baud rates; but, these //c's take
the master system clock (14.31818 MHz in an American //c) and divide it by
eight to produce 1.7898 MHz. The 3% decrease in clock frequency produces a 3%
drop in the baud rate, which is enough to prevent operation with some serial
devices, particularly intelligent modems running at 1200 bps or faster.

This is not always a problem, and I have successfully used one of these
IIc's with a ZyXEL U-1496E modem and a direct connection to a IIgs at 9600
bps. I have had problems in other cases.

Later motherboards use a crystal, (and, some original motherboards may
have a crystal installed) resulting in much better behaviour. You can make a
reasonable guess at whether you have the original motherboard by checking
which firmware version is installed. From the BASIC prompt enter PRINT
PEEK(64447) and check the displayed value against this list:

255 Original firmware- probably original motherboard
0 UniDisk 3.5 support- may be original or revised motherboard
3 or 4 Memory expansion card- revised motherboard

In theory, the //c's maximum baud rate is 19,200. Whether it can actually
keep up with that rate is another question. 9600 should be fine. IIc+ baud
rate generation is reliable and max speed is 19,200 baud.

IIgs: Although the firmware IIgs Control Panel allows a top setting of
19,200, maximum speed for the built-in IIgs serial ports is 57,600 baud.
Spectrum and a few other telecom products directly control the ports and can
easily handle 57.6k transfers.

____________________________

From: Gareth Jones

011- What telecom programs run on Apple II computers?

KERMIT: This runs on any Apple II. It comes in DOS 3.3 and ProDOS versions. It
is free. It supports Kermit and X-Modem file transfer protocols; VT52, VT100,
and dumb terminal emulations. It is a little harder to set up and use than
some other programs, but works perfectly well once you've done that. On a GS,
remember to turn the "DCD Detect" option in the modem control panel OFF, or it
won't work.

ZLink: a ProDOS system program that requires a IIe, //c, or IIgs. It supports
X-modem and Y-modem file transfers; VT100 and partial VT220 emulations. The
"macro" program that comes with it is simple, but fine for some things, like
auto-entering your password. A nice feature is that ALL the options are shown
and set in a single screen display, reached by pressing Open-Apple-?. I used
this program quite happily for a number of years, so it is probably worth a
download to see if it meets your needs.

Talk is Cheap 4.0: An excellent program for the IIe, //c, or IIgs. It requires
an accelerator chip (e.g. a Zip Chip) in a IIe or //c to communicate over 4800
baud. With the accelerator chip, you're fine up to 19,200 baud. It has an
excellent scripting language, which was used as the basis for Spectrum's
scripting language. File transfer protocols are X-modem (various types, such
as 4K X-modem and 1K X-modem) and Y-modem (for downloads). The manual is a
good tutorial for telecommunications. You may be able to find an early
shareware version on the nets or in your User Group's Library.

ProTerm 3.1: I can't talk too much about this since I haven't used it. A demo
is available for trying out. What I CAN say is that this has been the most
popular commercial telecommunications program available for the Apple II. The
program supports many emulations, every file transfer protocol I know
(including Kermit), and if you have a mouse, it'll give a mouse and
pull-down-menus environment. If you don't have one, you won't need it.

Telcom: This is a recent discovery for me: a telecommunications program for
the IIgs with X-modem uploads and downloads, Y-modem downloads, VT100 or
ProTerm Special Extended terminal emulations. It runs only on the GS, and uses
a mouse-and-menus interface implemented on the text screen. It is free,
because it is a never-finished commercial product. The author, Jawaid Bazyar,
would like your comments on it. This is similar to ZLink in features (except
no macros), and cheaper, but GS only.

Spectrum: This is the ONLY GS/OS telecommunications desktop program (i.e.,
standard menus, the system clipboard for cutting and pasting, etc.). VERY
strong scripting language that even supports sounds, icons, fonts, colours,
clickable buttons (like HyperCard). It supports most terminal emulations, many
file transfer protocols (e.g. Z-modem, though not Kermit. Yet). The author and
publisher have released version 2.0 and are committed to developing it
further.

ANSITerm: from Parkhurst Micro Products. Paul Parkhurst's program is
supposedly the best colour ANSI graphics available on a GS. It supports
macros, many file transfer protocols, and there is a demo version to try out.
GS users only.

----------------------------

From: Rubywand

Another very good program is Modem MGR from MGR Software. It runs on any
Apple II and works with a wide range of modems, 80-column boards, and clock
cards. MM supports popular protocols from X-modem through Z-modem and many
terminal emulations.

----------------------------

From: Supertimer

Agate offers Z-modem. Z-modem is a much better protocol, with a resume
function (web browsers should take note) and powerful CRC-32 error checking.
Agate was shareware, but the user decided he couldn't accept money for an
unfinished product. None of the shareware checks were cashed. I think it is
freeware now.

____________________________

From: Penman, Supertimer, Rubywand, MDRipley37

012- Where can I get ADT, ADTgs, Agate, Modem MGR, Spectrum,
ProTerm, ap2222pc, ZLink, ][2Mac, MacADT?

ADT (Adt122.zip) and ADTgs (ADTgs91.zip) on USA2WUG, Ground
http://www.grin.net/~cturley/USA2WUG/Utilities/
ftp://ground.ecn.uiowa.edu/apple2/upl2000/Feb/

Agate v069 on Uni-kl.de (.bsq) and Ground (.sdk and .dsk)
ftp://ftp.uni-kl.de/pub/apple2/utilities/
ftp://ground.ecn.uiowa.edu/apple2/useful.stuff/Disks/

Modem MGR on Ground and Trenco
ftp://ground.ecn.uiowa.edu/apple2/apple8/Comm/Modem.mgr/
ftp://ftp.gno.org/pub/apple2/appledos33/comm/term/modem.mgr/

Spectrum from My eSource
http://www.myesource.com/sevenhills/applesoftware/iigs/index.htm

ProTerm from Intrec
http://www.intrec.com/

ap2222pc on Asimov
ftp://ftp.apple.asimov.net/pub/apple_II/utility/ .

ZLink on Ground and Apple Blossom
ftp://ground.ecn.uiowa.edu/apple2/useful.stuff/Disks/
http://people.delphi.com/appleblossom/modemdisk.html

][2Mac on Adam's HomePage
http://home.kabelfoon.nl/~adam/downloadable/FAQ/II2Mac.html

MacADT on Asimov

From: Tom Kelly and David Empson

013- What are the settings for the Apple Super Serial Card?

Here is some information about Super Serial Card (SSC) Settings:

Recomended Slots

Slot 1 for terminal use (e.g. printer)
Slot 2 for communication use (e.g. modem)

Jumper Block- configures serial I/O lines. This does not set the
operating mode of the card. Operating mode is set via the
DIP switches.

For typical "terminal" (printer) use, label is right side up (arrow
points DOWN), DIPs are set for "terminal" operation, and a printer
cable connects to the printer.
This jumper setting can also be used with a modem cable to make a
NULL modem connection to another computer. (DIPs would then be set
for "communication" operation.)

For typical "communication" (modem) use, label is upside down (arrow
points UP), DIPs are set for "communication" mode and a modem cable
connects to the modem. To make a NULL modem connection to another
computer, use a modem cable + NULL modem adaptor.

Note that RS-232-C signals on the SSC use negative-true logic;
that is, they are true at 0v and false at +5 volts.

SW1 Dip Switch 1-4 Settings

Baud SW1-1 SW1-2 SW1-3 SW1-4 SW1-8
undefined on on on on not used
50 on on on off "
75 on on off on "
110 on on off off "
135 on off on on "
150 on off on off "
300 on off off on "
600 on off off off "
1200 off on on on "
1800 off on on off "
2400 off on off on "
3600 off on off off "
4800 off off on on "
7200 off off on off "
9600 off off off on "
19200 off off off off "

Note: SW1-1 thru SW1-4 settings can be overridden by software.

SW1 Dip Switch 5-7 Settings

SW1-5 SW1-6 SW1-7

"Communication" (modem) operation on on on
"Terminal" (printer) operation off on on*

Note

Switch SW1-5 and SW1-6 help define the operation mode of the card.

1-5 1-6 Operation Mode
on on Communications
off on Printer
on off Emulate Apple Serial Interface Card with P8 PROM
off off Emulate Apple Serial Interface Card with P8A PROM

Switches SW1-7 and SW2-7 select between the standard and secondary
Clear To Send signals when the jumper block is set for "terminal"
(printer) operation.

1-7 2-7 pin
on off CTS
off on SCTS

If the jumper block is set "Communication" (modem) operation,
SW1-7 should always be ON and
SW2-7 should always be OFF.

*For "Terminal" (printer) operation, the setting may vary.
If using an Imagewriter II
SW1-7 should be ON and
SW2-7 should be OFF.

SW2 Dip Switch Settings

Switches SW2-1 through SW2-4 functions depend upon whether "Terminal"
(printer) or "Communications" (modem) operation is enabled.

SW2 Dip Switch 1-4 Settings for "Communications" (modem) operation

Data Parity Stop SW2-1 SW2-2 SW2-3 SW2-4
Bits Bits

7 none 1 on off off on
7 odd 1 on off on off
7 even 1 on off off off
7 none 2 off off off on
7 odd 2 off off on off
7 even 2 off off off off
8 none 1 on on off on
8 odd 1 on on on off
8 even 1 on on off off
8 none 2 off on off on
8 odd 2 off on on off
8 even 2 off on off off

SW2 Dip Switch 1-4 Settings for "Terminal" (printer) operation

SW2-1 Default data format
on 8 data, 1 stop
off 8 data, 2 stop

SW2-2 Delay after sending out a RETURN character
off None
on 32 milliseconds

SW2-3 and SW2-4 set line width and video output

2-3 2-4 Function
on on 40 column output, video on
on off 72 column output, video off
off on 80 column output, video off
off off 132 column output, video off

Note: SW2-1 thru SW2-4 settings can be overridden by software.

SW2 Dip Switch 5-7 Settings

SW2-5 enables automatic line feed generation.
on auto-send a linefeed after sending a CR
off no linefeed auto-send

SW2-6 enables interrupts.
on Yes (recommended for baud rates greater than 1199 baud)
off No

SW2-7 used with SW1-7 to select CTS signal
on may have this setting for use with some printers
off correct setting for "communication" (modem) operation

(SW2-8 is not used)

Connector Pin Assignments

10-Pin Dsub-25
Header Connector Signal Name
1 1 Frame Ground
2 2 Transmit Data (TXD)
3 3 Receive Data (RXD)
4 4 Request To Send (RTS)
5 5 Clear To Send (CTS)
6 6 Data Set Ready (DSR)
7 19 Secondary Clear To Send (SCTS)
8 7 Signal Ground
9 20 Data Terminal Ready (DTR)
10 8 Data Carrier Detect (DCD)

Pins 1-7 and 2-7 are set together to determine the SSC pin to be read
for the Hardware Handshaking signal. Generally set to monitor Pin #20.

Typical Configurations: [and Don't Forget The JUMPER Block]

Modem** ImageWriter I/II Printer***

1234567 1234567 1234567 1234567
ON XXXX XX XXX X XX X XX
OFF XXX X X XXX X XX XX

** Default is 9600 baud, 8 data bits, no parity, 1 stop bit. The
correct settings for SW2-5 (on= auto-send linefeed after CR) and
SW-6 (on= enable interrupts) may vary.

*** This is the setting recommended in the IW-II manual.

____________________________

From: Kevin M. Carr

014- Could someone who has an Applied Engineering Serial Pro
card please post a list of the dip switch settings for
the 2 banks of switches?

I use an AE Serial Pro in my //e to connect to my ImageWriter II. All
of the DIP switches are set to OPEN (switch down). The switch block next to
the printer interface connector is for hardware handshaking signals. (Copied
without any permission whatsoever from the AE Serial Pro User's Manual.)

o Switch 1, when closed, select pin 4 (Request to send) as the flow control
handshaking line. Some printers which use this line are: Data General TP2;
Heath H-25; Olympia ESW102/103; QUME Sprint 5; and Smith-Corona TP1

o Switch 2, when closed, selects pin 11 which is, according to RS-232-C
specifications, undefined and is used by some serial printers as a
printer-ready signal. Some Centronics, Texas Instruments, and Epson serial
printers may use this pin.

o Switch 3, when closed, selects pin 19 (Secondary Request to Send) as the
handshaking line. Some of the printers that use this pin are the Anadex
DP8000/9000, Bell TP-1000, Lear Seigler 310, NEC 3500/7700, and Digital
Equipment (DEC) LA-series serial printers.

o Switch 4, when closed, selects pin 20 (Data Terminal Ready) as not only the
device-available handshaking line but also as the data-flow- control line.
Some Diablo, C.Itoh, Okidata, QUME, Tectronics, or Xerox printers may use this
handshaking signal.

o When all of the switches are open, Data Terminal Ready (Dsub-25 pin 20) is
the only line monitored as the hardware handshaking line from your printer.
This supports most popular serial printers.

The second set of DIP swithces (close to the front of the card) is for
generating Maskable (IRQ) and Non Maskable (NMI) interrupts from the 6551
Asynchronous Communications Interface Adaptor (ACIA) chip and the 6818 clock
chip. The swithces select the type and source of interrupt request. Normally
all switches are in the OPEN position.

o Switch 1: IRQ from 6551

o Switch 2: NMI from 6551

o Switch 3: IRQ from 6818

o Switch 4: NMI from 6818

____________________________

From: Cyrus Roton <cro...@ridgecrest.ca.us>

015- What are the switch settings for the old Apple Serial Interface card?

The switch settings are as follows:

1 2 3 baud rate
on on on 110
off on on 134.5
on off on 300
off off on 1200
on on off 2400
off on off 4800
on off off 9600
off off off 19200

sw 4 off = enable delay after CR

5 6 line wt video
on on 40 enable
off on 72 disable
on off 80 disable
off off 132 disable

sw 7 off = enable LF after CR

____________________________

From: Supertimer

016- I've heard that I can use some sort of printer cable to do
NULL modem transfers with between my IIc and a PC. Which cable?

Get an "Apple IIc to ImageWriter I" cable. It has a DIN-5 plug on one end
and a standard Dsub-25 plug on the other with the correct line swapping for
NULL modem. Depending upon whether your PC connection is to a 25-pin or 9-pin
port and whether or not an extension cable is used, you may also need a
Dsub-25 to Dsub-9 cable and/or a Dsub-25 gender changer. (The latter are
standard items at many computer stuff stores.)

____________________________

From: David Empson

017- What kind of cable should I use to connect a modem to my IIc?

Here is the pinout of the IIc serial port looking at the back of the computer:

DIN-5F (female)
socket with
Apple's numbering

5 1
4 2
3

The functions are:

1 Handshake Out (nominally DTR)
2 Data Out (TxD)
3 Ground
4 Data In (RxD)
5 Handshake In (nominally DSR)

To connect a IIc to a typical modem use the following pinout
for a non-hardware handshaking cable:

IIc Modem
DIN-5M Dsub-25M DIN-5 Dsub-25M
plug male connector
1 Handshake Out 20 DTR
2 Data Out 2 TxD 1 5 ,--------/ /---------.
3 Ground 7 Gnd 2 4 \ 1 2 ... 12 13 /
4 Data In 3 RxD 3 \ 14 ... 25 /
5 Handshake In 6 DSR* `------/ /-------'

*You might want to use pin 8, DCD in some cases.

To connect a IIc to a modem with a 9-pin connector you can use
the pinout below for a non-hardware handshaking cable:

IIc Modem
DIN-5M Dsub-9M DIN-5 Dsub-9M
plug male connector
1 Handshake Out 4 DTR
2 Data Out 3 TxD 1 5 ,--------/ /---------.
3 Ground 5 Gnd 2 4 \ 1 2 ... 4 5 /
4 Data In 2 RxD 3 \ 6 ... 9 /
5 Handshake In 6 DSR* `------/ /-------'

*You might want to use pin 1, DCD in some cases.

The IIc cannot do hardware handshaking** very well, but this
is as close as you can get:

IIc Modem
DIN-5M Dsub-25M DIN-5 Dsub-25M
plug male connector
1 Handshake Out 4 RTS
2 Data Out 2 TxD 1 5 ,--------/ /---------.
3 Ground 7 Gnd 2 4 \ 1 2 ... 12 13 /
4 Data In 3 RxD 3 \ 14 ... 25 /
5 Handshake In 5 CTS `------/ /-------'

** Note that you need comm software which supports hardware handshaking
on the IIc to do this properly. I expect ProTerm does, but ZLink and
Talk Is Cheap almost certainly don't.

The IIc's handshaking lines have annoying side effects, which cause problems
with hardware handshaking:

1. The "Handshake Out" signal is implemented to mean "I want to send data"
(the official and original meaning of RTS). If you turn off the output
handshake line, the IIc will stop sending data. For a hardware handshaking
modem, RTS is supposed to mean "You are allowed to send me data" (from the
computer's point of view).

If the computer tells the modem to stop transmitting, the computer will
also be unable to transmit. This will reduce the rate at which data can be
transferred bidirectionally, but doesn't cause any other problems.

2. The "Handshake In" signal is implemented to mean "There is receive data
present" (the official meaning of DCD). If the incoming handshake line is
disabled, the IIc will stop receiving data (ignore any data on RxD). For a
hardware handshaking modem, CTS is supposed to mean "You are allowed to send
me data" (from the modem's point of view).

If the modem tells the computer to stop transmitting, the computer will
also be unable to receive, and will discard any data sent by the modem while
CTS is not active. This can cause screen corruption and loss of data blocks
or acknowledgements during a file transfer, which will require retransmission.
It is only likely to be a problem while a lot of data is being sent, so is
more likely to cause problems during a file upload than a download. If the
comms software is quick enough, it can drop RTS immediately when CTS is
lowered, which will prevent the modem from sending any more data.

The original IIc motherboard has another problem: it uses a cheap method of
generating the clock frequency for the serial ports. Most implementations
based on the 6551 chip use a 1.8432 MHz crystal, which gives exact baud rates,
but the IIc takes the master system clock (14.31818 MHz in an American IIc)
and divides it by eight to produce 1.7898 MHz. The 3% decrease in clock
frequency produces a 3% drop in the baud rate, which is enough to prevent
operation with some serial devices, particularly intelligent modems running at
1200 bps or faster.

This is not always a problem, and I have successfully used one of these IIc's
with a ZyXEL U-1496E modem and a direct connection to a IIgs at 9600 bps. I
have had problems in other cases.

You cannot identify whether you have this motherboard except by opening up the
computer and looking for a tell-tale component. (I don't have the details
handy.)

You can make a reasonable guess at whether you have the original motherboard
by checking which firmware version is installed in the IIc. Get into BASIC,
and type PRINT PEEK(64447).

If the value displayed is 255, then you have the original ROM, and almost
certainly have the original motherboard, though it might have been modified to
use a crystal.

If the value displayed is 0, then you might have the original motherboard or
the revised one. (This ROM version supports the UniDisk 3.5 drive.)

If the value displayed is 3 or 4, then you have the "memory expansion" version
of the firmware, and almost certainly have the latest motherboard, which
includes a memory expansion slot under the keyboard.

In theory, the IIc's maximum baud rate is 19200. Whether it can actually keep

From: SuperTimer

018- I have a good modem that has a standard RS232 serial port
and responds to standard "AT" commands; but, it has a Dsub-9
connector. Is there an adaptor or cable that will let me
connect the modem to my IIgs?

Yes; the cable to use is a Macintosh to Hayes Modem cable. This can be
found in any computer store. Just ask for a Mac to modem cable. All new Mac
cables are usually hardware handshake cables, so you should have no trouble
with higher speeds.

----------------------------

019- What is the maximum modemming speed I can get from my IIgs?

The IIGS can use much faster modems than is indicated by the Control
Panel. Using a hardware handshake cable and with the right third party driver
(like the one in Spectrum), the serial port can go up to 57600 baud.

----------------------------

020- How can I transfer files from PC to GS using Zip disks?

The trick is not to use MS-DOS, but instead use HFS. On the PC, you need
to install a program called MacDrive 98. This program allows Windows 95 to
read, write, and format HFS volumes. On the IIe, you need a freeware program
called A2fx. A2fx will read any HFS volume, even CD-ROMs.

With HFS as a link, you will be able to move files from your PC onto
Mac/HFS formatted Zip disks (no need to make 32MB partition) to your IIe via
A2fx. The reverse transfer needs another program, but I am pretty sure that
one exists to let the PC read ProDOS volumes.

____________________________

From: Dave Althoff

021- How do I get an Applesoft program into a PC-DOS computer
in text format? Both computers have modems, but I have no
terminal program for the Apple.

Make sure that your serial ports are connected together, and run the comm
program on your PC. Now, for our purposes, lets assume you have the serial
card in Slot #2.

Force the PC into terminal mode.

Make sure the ][ is displaying a *40-column* screen.

Now, try typing "IN#2" on the ][. Type something on the PC. It should appear
on the Apple. (Cool, ain't it?!)

In fact, try typing "PR#2". On either computer. Now, you should get an
Applesoft prompt on your terminal screen! In fact, you can use the PC comm
program as a keyboard for your ][!

All right, at this point, you should have data flying back and forth between
the two machines. On the ][, type "POKE 33,33".

Now, on the PC, tell your comm program to start a text capture. Tell it to
add line feeds after carriage returns.

On the ][, load the BASIC program, and type LIST. The program listing will
appear on the Apple screen and be dumped into the PC comm program's capture
buffer.

To break communications, type "IN#0" and "PR#0" on the ][.

----------------------------

From: Jeff Blakeney

The only things I might add is that you have to make sure that the PC and II's
baud rates are the same. Preferably 19200 if you want a speedy transfer.

Second thing is that once you have typed IN#2 and PR#2 (or 1 if the serial
port is in slot 1) is that everything should be typed using the PC keyboard.
This is because anything you type on the II after those two commands will NOT
appear on the II's screen. It is much easier to type it on the PC as
everything you type and would normally be displayed on the II will be
displayed by the PC's terminal program.

I have actually used this method to transfer BASIC programs from my PC to my
II with 8 data bits, 1 stop bit, no parity at 19200 bps. It sure makes things
easier.

----------------------------

From: Dave Althoff

Actually, if you are working in 40-columns at least, when you do IN#2, the
console input is redirected through the SSC. Fortunately, the SSC is kind
enough to include keyboard reads in its data input loop, so IN#2 does not
disable your keyboard. Likewise, so long as you are looking at the 40-column
screen, PR#2 redirects the output hook to the SSC, but the SSC does writes
back to the screen. So you don't lose your monitor either!

____________________________

From: Brian Hammack

022- I want to use a fax modem with my //GS. Is this possible? I
tried all kinds of choices from the install menu of Proterm
3.1. Is there a certain string required?

Yes. Only difference between a fax modem and a "regular" one is the fax
instruction set. I have a 28.8 fax modem on my GS.

Most likely, you have to use a "CTS/RTS" parms setting in the Install,
and an init string that handles things correctly. The book for my 28.8
ultrageneric suggested AT&F [use default settings] but that doesn't do the
job. So the string I am using to trip all the triggers is:

ATX3\Q3

Before that, I was using something that worked except at 2400:

ATX4&M0Y0\N2

----------------------------

From: John M. Davies

Just pointing out, the INIT string is not a function of the comm program,
it is a command to the modem itself, so any good comms package should be able
to send any sort of init string to the modem.

ATZ is the standard Hayes command to 'RESET MODEM TO DEFAULT' settings,
and must be on it's own line, hence the <return> character is required. After
that, most modems will also respond to standard Hayes command set commands,
but the individual modem in use will usually have an extra set of commands
provided by that modems manufacturer, to support the unique 'features' of that
particular brand of modem.

You will need to obtain the command set booklet provided with the modem,
to read the list of extra commands. Sadly, like printers, each manufacturer
has their own idea of what a good command set is, so no two modems extended
command sets are identical.

If you don't have the booklet, try searching the web site of the
manufacturer.

____________________________

From: SuperTimer, Greg Buchner, David Empson

023- Can I do modem-to-modem transfers between my home computers?

Maybe. One way is to use your in-home phone line. To connect, you take a
phone off the hook and connect using telecom programs on each computer. You
can connect and do transfers once the lines are free of beeps, tones, etc.
which indicate a phone is off the hook. If your phone company is one that
keeps beeping you forever, the connection will not work. An alternative which
some suggest is using a phone extension cord to connect the modems.

----------------------------

From: Jeremy Penner

I've done this successfully (though not with an Apple ][) using this
simple procedure:

1) Dial your home-phone number on a regular telephone. You should get a busy
signal.
2) Hang up the phone. Your phone should now start ringing.
3) Give one computer the "ATA" command, while giving the other the "ATX3D"
command.

ATA causes the one modem to pick up the phone as if someone was dialing into
it, and ATX3D causes the other modem to pick up the phone and act as though it
had just dialed in someplace. This allows the two modems to handshake, and you
can go from there.

"ATX3D" should work with all Hayes-compatible modems. I can make no
guarantees that the phone-your-own-number trick works with all phone
companies.

_________________________

From: Steph and Gist

024- What cable can I use to do Apple //c <---> PC ADT transfers?

Below is the pinout for a //c NULL modem cable for use with the ADT disk
image transfer utility. It shows signal names and signal directions.

Both 9 and 25-pin numbering is shown for the PC connector end. For the
//c plug, DIN-5 pin numbers are listed with traditional Apple pin numbers in
parenthensis ...

DIN-5M Dsub9 or Dsub25
(Apple) 9 pins 25 pins

4 (2) TXD --> 2 RXD 3 RXD
5 (4) RXD <-- 3 TXD 2 TXD
2 (3) GND --- 5 GND 7 GND
1 (1) DTR --> 6 DSR --,* 6 DSR --,*
1 DCD --' 8 DCD --'
3 (5) DSR/DCD <-- 4 DTR 20 DTR

* pins connected by a jumper

Usual Apple numbering for a male cable connector (plug) as viewed looking
at the pins from the front is ...

1 5
2 4
3

Whether the PC Dsub connector is male or female depends upon what it needs to
plug into.

-------------------------

From: Aage Rettvin

I constructed a new shielded five-lead cable with the above pin
assignment setup for a Dsub25 plug with the correct jumpering of pins 6 and 8.
This cable design basically corresponds to the wiring for a standard
serial-printer cable (type: Imagewriter-I).

But, even running under MS-DOS 6.22, the software failed to get
communications going!

During troubleshooting I confirmed that the cable was OK by using
Hyperterm (on the PC) to force a text-file transfer to the ADT "Receive" or
"Directory" wait-state and by sending sample-files from the //c by issuing a
'send' command from ADT to Hyperterm.

I discovered that the problem was different numbering of the onboard COM
ports in DOS vs. Win98. That is, in DOS COM #1, #2 corresponded to WIN98 COM
#3, #4. Once this was straightened out, everything worked.

ADT is now running at 9600 bps, and I'm producing new disks on the fly!
Really awesome!!

anon...@bogus_address.con

Feb 11, 2001, 7:12:57 PM2/11/01

On 2001-02-11 bertm...@erols.com said:

>I already have MODEM.ASM V2.0, the original Ward Christensen CP/M
>modem file transfer program specifically modified to run on
>Apple][+ Z-80 Softcard CP/M through the Zoom/modem (compatible with
>a DC Hayes Micromodem II). I used to use this 300 baud modem
>program regularly to contact the local Apple Pi BBS. Today,
>modem-to-modem, using just a phone cord DOES CURRENTLY WORK between
>both machines. I can type text on either keyboard and see it come
>up on both screens, so the two computers are at least *talking*,
>but a handshake and keystroke text is all that is possible --
>cannot access CP/M file transfer commands outside of the
>modem/phoneline hookup; I just don't know 'how' you do that. I use
>the Win95 Hyper Terminal program to capture the keystrokes -- of
>course, "keystroking" is exactly what I want to avoid, here. I've
>tried to PIP files over the modem connection as some suggested --
>can't do it, don't know what I'm doing wrong. I have also hooked
>both machine printer cables together through the a/b switch and
>tried to get the Apple to send text to the Gateway as if the Win95
>machine was a printer buffer but I cannot get handshake -- again, I
>just don't know 'how' to do it. There is NO serial port capability
>on the Apple][ (unless someone tells me otherwise). >
>

>If I can just get the data out of one machine and into the other...

>does a DOS-based 'comm' program have to be on the Gateway side to

>receive the data, or make use of the data after transfer? I don't
>know what you mean here. What 'comm' program? Names, please.

Okay; I think I see the problem. I'm glad to hear that you have
previous experience using a comm program to connect to a BBS.
That will make things much easier to explain.

Remember when you used to download a file from the BBS? You'd
first tell the BBS (via your comm program) to 'send' a file
using the Xmodem file transfer protocol...and then you'd tell
your comm program to 'receive' the file using Xmodem protocol.

Well, you're going to have to that same sort of thing between
your Apple and your IBM clone.

* What you've been missing so far is this: given your specific
* hardware configuration, you're going to have to use a FILE
* TRANSFER PROTOCOL between the two machines in order to get
* the files transferred.

Think about it: when you were connected to the BBS, you didn't
use the CP/M command 'PIP' to transfer a file from the BBS com-
puter to =your= computer, did you? No! Doesn't work that way! <g>

That's where the communications program comes in. A comm program
not only has =file transfer protocols= built in, but it also
handles the necessary opening and closing of disk files.

So...you're gonna have to 'play BBS.' Your Apple II will be the
'BBS' machine, and your IBM clone will be the 'calling' machine.
It won't be =quite= that simple, but that's the general idea.

The current machine-to-machine connection you've established is
fun; it's essentially a 'dumb terminal' kind of link. But it
won't allow you to transfer files.

Before proceeding further, let me digress momentarily. One poster
in this newsgroup mentioned using KERMIT. This would definitely
work, since KERMIT is a file transfer protocol. This assumes,
though, that you have a way to get the Apple-specific version
of KERMIT onto a floppy disk that can be used in your Apple machine.
But from what you've previously said, I don't think you have that
capability.

Steve Walz mentioned using a null modem cable between the serial
ports of the two machines, and that would also certainly work.
However, IIRC, your Apple doesn't have an actual serial =port;=
what YOU have is a =modem= plugged into one of the SoftCard's slots.

That being the case, you'll have to use the modem. So using a
communications program on each machine to access their respective
modems will be the easiest way to transfer the files in =your=
specific case, given =your= specific hardware set-up.

Now...the only remaining 'unknown' is the modem in your Gateway
computer. In order to use a DOS-based communications program,
your IBM clone MUST have a =real= modem, with Rockwell protocols
on-board in ROM.

If you have one of those brain-dead WINmodems (and, knowing Gate-
way, that's likely to be the case), you're stuck with having to
use a WinDoze-based communications program.

Either way, you'll have to download a communications program
for your IBM clone.

For a DOS-based comm program, I recommend LYNC. It's very small,
simple to use, and easy to configure. Grab it from:

http://www/simtel.net/simtel.net/msdos/commprog-pre.html

Once you're there, click on the filename LYNC20.ZIP to download.

The SIMTEL site doesn't seem to have any conventional communications
programs for WinDoze Ninety-x. There's a program that purports
to be a file transfer program named FTRANS10.ZIP, but I suspect
it's a direct serial port transfer utility. That's probably not
what you need.

However, there's a version of TELIX for WinDoze 3.1...which is
a full-featured comm program. It =might= work, IF it supports
RPI ('WIN') modems. I've never used TELIX For WinDoze, so I
don't know whether it does or not. Go to:

http://www.simtel.net/simtel.net/win3/telecom-pre.html

Once there, look for the TELIX program (the files are listed
alphabetically). It's in two separate files, so you'll need
to snag both of'em.

Install the IBM comm program on your Gateway. If the program
allows you to select a default upload/download protocol, specify
Xmodem as the default. If a default protocol isn't allowed,
that's okay. You can specify Xmodem when you initiate a download.

After you have the communications programs configured and running
on both machines (set up for 300 baud, 8-N-1), the next thing
to do is establish a connection between the two modems.

Connect a telephone cord between the modems, just as you are
currently doing.

Make sure your Apple's 'MODEM' program is in 'terminal' mode,
so that you can type in commands to the modem.

At your IBM clone's comm program, type in the following modem
command: ATH1 ...and then press ENTER.

On your Apple II's 'MODEM' program, type in the following modem
command: ATA ...and then press ENTER.

The two modems (with luck) should now be 'talking' to each
other.

Now put the Apple's 'MODEM' program into 'command' mode.

On your IBM clone, tell the comm program to 'download' a file
(the command to do this is often ALT-D, but not always. Check
the comm program's DOCs). When prompted, type in the name of
the file you want to download from the Apple II. If Xmodem
was not specified as the default protocol, you'll probably be
prompted to select a protocol. Choose 'Xmodem.'

Then on the Apple II, tell 'MODEM' to 'upload' a file...and
type in the required information.

Hopefully, the file will now transfer from the Apple II to
the Gateway.

Repeat this procedure for each file you want to transfer.

Admittedly, this is a slow and painful way to get the files
transferred, but given your particular situation, this seems
to be about the best you can do.

I've tried to explain the process as clearly and precisely as
possible. If I've made any errors, no doubt someone in this
newsgroup will let us know.

If anything isn't clear, post your question in this newsgroup.

Have fun, and good luck! :)

Bert Morris

Feb 11, 2001, 7:53:11 PM2/11/01
to Paul Schlyter
Dear Paul,

You have been incredibly patient and helpful! Thank you so much.

Regards,
Bert

Bert Morris

Feb 11, 2001, 7:55:49 PM2/11/01
Dear Anonymous,

Thanks for your generosity and very helpful support. I appreciate very
much the time you have taken for my problem (I just wish you weren't
'anonymous'!)

Regards,
Bert

Steve

Feb 11, 2001, 8:42:28 PM2/11/01
Bert Morris wrote:

> Steve wrote:
> > snip
> > -------------------
> > In CP/M if you also have a modem program for CP/M then disconnect your
> > modem from your serial port, you don't need it. Disconnect the modem
> > from your PC running a modem program also, you don't need it. Connect
> > your two computers, the PC and the Apple running CP/M with a null modem
> > cable (pins 2-3 3-2, 4-5 5-4, 6-20 20-6, and 7-7 end-other_end), and
> > pretend you have modems and that you're talking on the phone. Except you
> > don't NEED the phone now. Then transfer files with Xmodem or Ymodem
> > protocol.
> > -Steve
>
> Dear Steve,
>
> OK, but HOW! Like I have previously posted, I am missing something
> REALLY basic, here. My Apple][+ modem is a circuit board installed in
> Apple][ expansion slot #2 (all 8 expansion slots are internal on the
> motherboard, numbered 0 thru 7, 0 being the first slot, 2 being the
> third slot, etc. Each of these eight peripheral "slots" along the back
> edge of the Apple][+ board are Winchester #2HW25CO-111 50-pin PC card
> edge connectors with pins on .10" centers.
---------------------
Okay, I've designed Apple ][ cards so I know what you mean. You can
simply use a phony phoneline circuit powered with a battery and then
pretend your other computer's modem has already answered and issue the
AT commands to connect from one end and answer on the other and you will
have a connection. Then treat it the same as any phone connection.

> There is NO "serial card" or "serial port" that I know of to disconnect
> anything from; this is not a Mac. It is an apple][+, circa 1980. My
> question: WHAT, WHERE is this "serial port" or "serial device" everyone
> talks about using?

------------------------
YOU don't have an SSC, a Super Serial Card and an external modem like
everyone expected you to have!!! In fact CP/M may not be able to run
your modem, depending on its default location in I/O space.

> Second. Actually disconnect the modems? Physically remove them from each
> machine? Why?

-----------------------
Modems are phones for your computer. If both computers are in the same
room you don't need phones for them, they can speak directly by serial
link.

> Third. Connect the two computers with a 'null modem' cable? Yes, I know
> WHAT a null modem is, I know what pinout assignments are, etc., but WHAT
> does it connect to? Actually, physically WHERE does it attach on the
> Apple][+ and on the Gateway Win95? (Don't you DARE say the serial
> port!).

-------------
The serial port on both. Your Apple ][ is missing its serial card.
The Gateway has one. Or should have.

> Thanks in advance for ALL your help. I appreciate it!
>
> Regards,
> Bert

----------
Sure!

CBFalconer

Feb 11, 2001, 9:38:33 PM2/11/01

You said you had modem.asm and could type chars between systems.
So you must have assembled and run it? Ward Christensons claim to
fame (at least one) was the xmodem protocol and MODEM.

Paul Schlyter

Feb 12, 2001, 4:59:26 AM2/12/01
In article <3A87177A...@erols.com>,

Bert Morris <bertm...@erols.com> wrote:

> OK, but HOW! Like I have previously posted, I am missing something
> REALLY basic, here. My Apple][+ modem is a circuit board installed in
> Apple][ expansion slot #2 (all 8 expansion slots are internal on the
> motherboard, numbered 0 thru 7, 0 being the first slot, 2 being the
> third slot, etc. Each of these eight peripheral "slots" along the back
> edge of the Apple][+ board are Winchester #2HW25CO-111 50-pin PC card
> edge connectors with pins on .10" centers.

OK, then you have an internal modem card, and you cannot disconnect
the modem from the serial port, because both are integrated on the
same card.

> There is NO "serial card" or "serial port" that I know of to disconnect
> anything from; this is not a Mac.

Serial ports are not specific to Mac's but exist on most kinds of
computers.

> It is an apple][+, circa 1980.

I too have an Apple ][+ from 1980, *with* a serial port.

> My question: WHAT, WHERE is this "serial port" or "serial device" everyone
> talks about using?

It's obviously not on your computer.

> Second. Actually disconnect the modems? Physically remove them from each
> machine? Why?

Because they're not needed if the two computers are sitting near one
another. Disconnecting the modems have several advantages:

1. There's no "dial up proceudre" to worry about -- just connect the
null modem cable to the two computers and you are ALWAYS "connected" as
long as that cable sits there.

2. There's no need to use any phone line, which means you won't add to
your phone bill, and you won't keep your phone busy.

> Third. Connect the two computers with a 'null modem' cable? Yes, I know
> WHAT a null modem is, I know what pinout assignments are, etc., but WHAT
> does it connect to? Actually, physically WHERE does it attach on the
> Apple][+ and on the Gateway Win95? (Don't you DARE say the serial
> port!).

Why not? It's the serial ports on each computer that the null modem
cable must connect to. And apparently you have no such ports, at
least not on your Apple. Is your Gateway too missing serial ports,
so it only has an internal modem? Note that even though your Gateway
may have an internal modem, it may also have an extra serial port,
which then most likely has 9, not 25, connections.

Perhaps you could connect the modems to one another somehow, but I
think you'd have to apply some external voltage to that connection
too (since the phone line does that), and I'm completely ignorant
about the details.

So you basically have two choices:

1. Get serial cards for your Apple, and also for your Gateway if it
lacks a serial card. The transfer of your 50 diskettes of company
critical information is well worth the cost of these serial cards.

2. Have the two computers dial up one another via a telephone line,
and transfer your files at 300 bps. Then transferring one disk will
take perhaps one hour. The whole transfer could then perhaps be done
in some 50 hours.

Steve

Feb 12, 2001, 3:14:17 PM2/12/01
----------------
Use a current loop for a phone line with a DC battery and faster modems
and speed this up and do it without needing a "phone line" per se.

Bert Morris

Feb 12, 2001, 5:33:03 PM2/12/01
to Steve
Dear Steve, Paul, et al on this NG,

Thanks all. Getting an Apple][ Super Serial Card seems to be the best
option with the most reasonable chance of success. The Gateway has
serial ports but not my Apple][+. If I can find a SSC, install it
properly, then I'm home free.

To everyone who has helped, taken an interest, posted -- again, I thank
you very much!

Regards,
Bert Morris

Paul Schlyter

Feb 12, 2001, 6:58:46 PM2/12/01
In article <3A8844...@armory.com>, Steve <rst...@armory.com> wrote:

> Use a current loop for a phone line with a DC battery and faster modems
> and speed this up and do it without needing a "phone line" per se.

Voltage? Polarity?

Perhaps you could try to draw a simple circuit diagram in ASCII and
then post it here?

Steve

Feb 12, 2001, 7:53:44 PM2/12/01
----------------------------
Not needed:
Two wires, one from the red on one computer to the green on the other,
and another like it but color reversed to the middle two RJ-11 contacts,
then interrupt one and add about 6V to 12V of battery so that the
closest green gets positive. If you don't know the colors then get a
transparent RJ-11 phone cable and plug it in and look at the two middle
wire colors.

CBFalconer

Feb 12, 2001, 11:20:49 PM2/12/01
Paul Schlyter wrote:

> In article <3A8844...@armory.com>, Steve <rst...@armory.com> wrote:
>
> > Use a current loop for a phone line with a DC battery and faster modems
> > and speed this up and do it without needing a "phone line" per se.
>
> Voltage? Polarity?
>
> Perhaps you could try to draw a simple circuit diagram in ASCII and
> then post it here?

+40V ----vvvvvvvv-----------v v--------v v-------|-. (gnd)
1.5 k ohm (20..40 ma)
v v v v
| | | |
phone phone

(phones usually have bridge rectifiers and ignore polarity)
(line current at least 20 ma, max 60 ma)

Mark Stone

Feb 13, 2001, 9:42:40 AM2/13/01
Bert-

I can sell you a used Super Serial Card for $10.00 plus shipping. Let me know if
you want it.

-Mark

Bert Morris

Feb 13, 2001, 8:00:19 PM2/13/01
to Mark Stone
Mark Stone wrote:

> Bert-
>
> I can sell you a used Super Serial Card for $10.00 plus shipping. Let me know if
> you want it.
>
> -Mark

Thanks for the offer, Mark. I've already got my hooks into one on eBay
with cable and manual. Again, thanks for helping -- I can smell success
just around the corner.

Regards,
Bert

dav...@tm.net

Feb 17, 2001, 11:11:56 AM2/17/01
The phone company actually supplies -52.3 volts DC to ground. Of
course the distance from the C.O. will cause a corresponding
voltage drop. +40 as you show in your diagram would allready
be reversed. I'm curious why a telephone would have a bridge
rectifier since the supplied voltage is DC. I guess it could
be to rectify the AC ringing on some phones, but that would
be sort of a rube goldberg phone IMHO.

On 2001-02-13 cbfal...@worldnet.att.net said:
>Newsgroups: comp.os.cpm
>Paul Schlyter wrote:
>> In article <3A8844...@armory.com>, Steve <rstevew@armory.

>com> wrote: >
>> > Use a current loop for a phone line with a DC battery and
>>faster modems > and speed this up and do it without needing a
>"phone line" per se. >
>> Voltage? Polarity?
>> Perhaps you could try to draw a simple circuit diagram in ASCII
>>and then post it here?
>+40V ----vvvvvvvv-----------v v--------v v-------|-. (gnd)
>1.5 k ohm (20..40 ma)
>v v v v
>| | | |
>phone phone
>(phones usually have bridge rectifiers and ignore polarity)
>(line current at least 20 ma, max 60 ma)
>--
>Chuck F (cbfal...@my-deja.com) (cbfal...@XXXXworldnet.att.net)
>http://www.qwikpages.com/backstreets/cbfalconer
>(Remove "NOSPAM." from reply address. my-deja works unmodified)

Net-Tamer V 1.12.0 - Registered

CBFalconer

Feb 17, 2001, 1:20:03 PM2/17/01
***** PLEASE do not top post - fixed ******

Your system really did in my diagram. Fixed above, together with
top posting. If you don't top post you will probably see the
horrors your quoter is inflicting.

The critical thing is the current level. In this part of the
world lines are often reversed, so a bridge is common. The rare
antique doesn't have one. Line reversal was also used as a
signalling method.

--
Chuck F (cbfal...@my-deja.com) (cbfal...@XXXXworldnet.att.net)
http://www.qwikpages.com/backstreets/cbfalconer
(Remove "NOSPAM." from reply address. my-deja works unmodified)

Steve

Feb 17, 2001, 5:25:33 PM2/17/01
dav...@tm.net wrote:

> The phone company actually supplies -52.3 volts DC to ground. Of
> course the distance from the C.O. will cause a corresponding
> voltage drop. +40 as you show in your diagram would allready
> be reversed. I'm curious why a telephone would have a bridge
> rectifier since the supplied voltage is DC. I guess it could
> be to rectify the AC ringing on some phones, but that would
> be sort of a rube goldberg phone IMHO.
------------------
The bridge is for swapped polarity. Actually the 50V nominal is only
appropriate for that impedance, but the impendance can be quite a lot
lower, which is why the drop to about 6V off-hook. A 6V lantern
battery works just fine between two modems!!

Paul Schlyter

Feb 19, 2001, 6:19:02 AM2/19/01
In article <gpxj6.37$Hg.1...@monger.newsread.com>, <dav...@tm.net> wrote:

> The phone company actually supplies -52.3 volts DC to ground. Of
> course the distance from the C.O. will cause a corresponding
> voltage drop. +40 as you show in your diagram would allready
> be reversed. I'm curious why a telephone would have a bridge
> rectifier since the supplied voltage is DC.

Because that DC quite often changes direction. And perhaps also
because the ring signal is AC.

Richard Plinston

Feb 23, 2001, 3:03:47 AM2/23/01

> Most contemporary word processing programs -- likely including
> the one that you currently use under WinDoze -- can handle
> WorstStar files.

Yes, but most do not handle semi-automatic key-strokes engrained by
decades of wordstar training.

Steve

Mar 2, 2001, 2:39:13 AM3/2/01
-----------------
And most don't find and replace control characters like WS4 does quite
well, even from WinDOS!!

Bert Morris

Mar 2, 2001, 7:17:37 PM3/2/01
to Steve
Steve wrote:

snip

> And most don't find and replace control characters like WS4 does quite
> well, even from WinDOS!!
> -Steve

Dear Steve (and CP/M newsgroup),

At the risk of asking yet another stupid question: if, by some minor miracle, I
can get my Apple][ CP/M files transferred to the Gateway PC, is there,
currently, a CP/M operating system that runs on a PC based platform (such as my
Gateway 2000)? My point being this: it would be nice if I could use an already
familiar system (to me) on a PC without taking the time and trouble to 'learn'
Word, WordPerfect, or any other PC based word processing program. If, from
within my PC, I could access and 'massage' my old WordStar files and use an
updated 'WordStar' version that runs on the PC, I would have the best of both
worlds. From what I have already read on this and other NG's I get 'hints' that
this might be possible. If any of you know "for sure" I would like to hear some
specifics, OK? There is no 'rush', I just want to do it right the first time,
knowing from all of you what doesn't work, eliminating those dead end choices at
the beginning.

Bottom line: if I can buy it, borrow it, or download it, I will.

As always, this NG is great! Thanks in advance!

Regards,
Bert

Steve

Mar 2, 2001, 9:19:22 PM3/2/01
I have WordStar Professional Release 4 for the PC and for CP/M, and
they work identically. I don't think anybody is selling them lately.

But I think I also have an unclaimed serial number around here someplace
that you can use to install it which is not traceable to anyone else.
It came from a copy purchased in a group plot under a psuedonym when
it first came out. Email me.