Ladder game

319 views
Skip to first unread message

Don Maslin

unread,
Oct 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/17/97
to

Roger Ivie (iv...@cc.usu.edu) wrote:
: In article <6277pr$4...@cs1.FTA-Berlin.de>, sw[remove]@cellware.de (Stefan Wimmer) writes:
: > In article <344728D7...@unitronics.es>, Xavier Homs <jfar...@pie.xtec.es> wrote:
: >>I've been searching for a game called Ladder for a long time. Ladder was
: >>an incredible fun game but I've only seen it in that old CP/M machines.
: >>It was only a multitasking program without graphics (only text).
: >>
: >>Do anyone know where I can find that game?
: >
: > For CP/M? I have it somewhere on my 8-inchers. PM if you want me to dig after
: > it.

: I've seen a CGA graphics version for PC-DOS called 'Aldo'. I don't know
: where my friend got it from, though...

I have a copy of 'Aldo'. It is just a little thing, about 60k, easily
e-mailed.
- don
do...@cts.com
*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
Don Maslin - Keeper of the Dina-SIG CP/M System Disk Archives
Chairman, Dina-SIG of the San Diego Computer Society
Clinging tenaciously to the trailing edge of technology.
Sysop - Elephant's Graveyard (CP/M) - 619-454-8412
*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*
see old system support at http://www.psyber.com/~tcj


: -------------------------+------------------------------------------------
: Roger Ivie | "There's nothing philosophical about morality!"
: iv...@cc.usu.edu | - Rush Limbaugh
: http://cc.usu.edu/~ivie/ | August 20, 1997

Xavier Homs

unread,
Oct 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/17/97
to

Hello,

I began my computing career working with Z80 CP/M machines (in 1983).
With these machines I began program in BASIC, in Assembler, to know what
a SO was and, of couse, to play with computer games.

I've been searching for a game called Ladder for a long time. Ladder was
an incredible fun game but I've only seen it in that old CP/M machines.
It was only a multitasking program without graphics (only text).

Do anyone know where I can find that game?


Best regards


D. Peschel

unread,
Oct 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/17/97
to

In article <344728D7...@unitronics.es>,
Xavier Homs <jfar...@pie.xtec.es> wrote:
>I've been searching for a game called Ladder for a long time. Ladder was
>an incredible fun game but I've only seen it in that old CP/M machines.
>It was only a multitasking program without graphics (only text).
>
>Do anyone know where I can find that game?

I have a copy -- possibly other people on this newsgroup do too. It is on the
Microsoft Basic disk that came with my Kaypro system. As far as I know, it
was a commercial game (though I assume the company is out of business, so I
don't see any harm in sending you a copy). I don't know if it was written in
Microsoft BASIC and compiled, or whether it was just put on the disk. And I
definitely don't have the source code to the program.

In order to run it you would need a CP/M system or a CP/M emulator. You would
also need to make it recognize your screen-drawing codes. You could modify
the program (which would be difficult) or you could get your emulator to use
the Kaypro codes, or find a Kaypro.

The disk also includes an Aliens game (like Space Invaders) and a Catchum game
(like Pacman, I think, but I haven't gotten it to run). I think they were all
written by the same company. There are also some BASIC games which are much
less exciting.

Good luck,

-- Derek

Stefan Wimmer

unread,
Oct 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/17/97
to

In article <344728D7...@unitronics.es>, Xavier Homs <jfar...@pie.xtec.es> wrote:
>I've been searching for a game called Ladder for a long time. Ladder was
>an incredible fun game but I've only seen it in that old CP/M machines.
>It was only a multitasking program without graphics (only text).
>
>Do anyone know where I can find that game?

For CP/M? I have it somewhere on my 8-inchers. PM if you want me to dig after
it.

--
Stefan Wimmer Cellware Broadband
Email s...@cellware.de Rudower Chaussee 5
WWW http://www.cellware.de/ 12489 Berlin, Germany

Visit my private Homepage: Love, Rockets, Fireworks!
http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/6368/

Roger Ivie

unread,
Oct 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/17/97
to

In article <6277pr$4...@cs1.FTA-Berlin.de>, sw[remove]@cellware.de (Stefan Wimmer) writes:
> In article <344728D7...@unitronics.es>, Xavier Homs <jfar...@pie.xtec.es> wrote:
>>I've been searching for a game called Ladder for a long time. Ladder was
>>an incredible fun game but I've only seen it in that old CP/M machines.
>>It was only a multitasking program without graphics (only text).
>>
>>Do anyone know where I can find that game?
>
> For CP/M? I have it somewhere on my 8-inchers. PM if you want me to dig after
> it.

I've seen a CGA graphics version for PC-DOS called 'Aldo'. I don't know


where my friend got it from, though...

--

Brian Evans

unread,
Oct 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/18/97
to

Xavier Homs wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> I began my computing career working with Z80 CP/M machines (in 1983).
> With these machines I began program in BASIC, in Assembler, to know what
> a SO was and, of couse, to play with computer games.
>
> I've been searching for a game called Ladder for a long time. Ladder was
> an incredible fun game but I've only seen it in that old CP/M machines.
> It was only a multitasking program without graphics (only text).
>
> Do anyone know where I can find that game?
>
> Best regards

It was available for many CPM machines. I have a version that came
with my Kaypro-10, the only cavet is like almost all the software
that came with Kaypro's it's already been customized for kaypro so
you can't define another screen/keyboard. This means it will only
work on a Kaypro. I've played it using 22nice (a CPM emulator)
and it runs OK but it plays way to fast. If you want the Kaypro
version mail me and I'll send you a copy.

from a directory listing:
LADDER.COM 40K
LADDER.DAT 4K

As you can see the walnut creek reference from another message
is probably not for the LADDER you remeber but I could be wrong.

Brian Evans (Lad-Master, see you in Gang Land!)

Roger Ivie

unread,
Oct 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/19/97
to

In article <3448FF...@sympatico.ca>, Brian Evans <evans.co...@sympatico.ca> writes:
> It was available for many CPM machines. I have a version that came
> with my Kaypro-10, the only cavet is like almost all the software
> that came with Kaypro's it's already been customized for kaypro so
> you can't define another screen/keyboard. This means it will only
> work on a Kaypro.

I moved the Kaypro 10 version to a friend's Televideo 803 by the judicious
use of DDT. It was quite a bit easier than, say, moving the DBASE II which
came pre-installed for the Osborne I to a generic system running an H19,
which I've also done...

Andreas Burmester

unread,
Oct 21, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/21/97
to

Xavier Homs <jfar...@pie.xtec.es> writes:

>I've been searching for a game called Ladder for a long time. Ladder was
>an incredible fun game but I've only seen it in that old CP/M machines.
>It was only a multitasking program without graphics (only text).

>Do anyone know where I can find that game?

I got C source code of a clone of LADDER, written for Unix and
curses(3X) and I'm willing to pass it to anybody interested in
it. Just drop me a mail. Or, if there should be greater demand,
can post it here. It's fairly portable and should run after a
plain `make`. Has been tested on Linux and 4.[234]BSD.

However, I doubt that it can be moved to CP/M with reasonable
effort.

b.

Message has been deleted

sergey...@gmail.com

unread,
Aug 7, 2020, 9:46:26 AM8/7/20
to
пятница, 17 октября 1997 г., 11:00:00 UTC+4 пользователь Xavier Homs написал:
> Hello,
>
> I began my computing career working with Z80 CP/M machines (in 1983).
> With these machines I began program in BASIC, in Assembler, to know what
> a SO was and, of couse, to play with computer games.
>
> I've been searching for a game called Ladder for a long time. Ladder was
> an incredible fun game but I've only seen it in that old CP/M machines.
> It was only a multitasking program without graphics (only text).
>
> Do anyone know where I can find that game?
>
>
> Best regards

Hi guys!
There is a way to run the Ladder game on modern computers using DOSBox MS-DOS emulator and 22NICE CP/M emulator and file converter.
The in my case the “stack” is: Windows 7 32-bit → DOSBox → 22NICE → Ladder.
I works fairly realistic, although some additional operation with DOSBox settings were needed.
Hope it helps.

Sergey Anosov

unread,
Aug 7, 2020, 9:50:08 AM8/7/20
to
пятница, 7 августа 2020 г. в 16:46:26 UTC+3, sergey...@gmail.com:

John Crane

unread,
Sep 7, 2020, 7:56:22 PM9/7/20
to
On 08/06/2020 09:50 AM, sergey...@gmail.com wrote:
> пятница, 17 октября 1997 г., 11:00:00 UTC+4 пользователь Xavier Homs написал:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I began my computing career working with Z80 CP/M machines (in 1983).
>> With these machines I began program in BASIC, in Assembler, to know what
>> a SO was and, of couse, to play with computer games.
>>
>> I've been searching for a game called Ladder for a long time. Ladder was
>> an incredible fun game but I've only seen it in that old CP/M machines.
>> It was only a multitasking program without graphics (only text).
>>
>> Do anyone know where I can find that game?
>>
>>
>> Best regards
>
> Hi Xavier! I encountered same problem with Ladder game on PC. In my case on Windows 7 32-bit the solution was using the DOSBox MS-DOS emulator. The “stack” is: Windows → DOSBox → 22NICE CPM file converter. The Ladder works fairly realistic at normal speed. Hope it helps.
>


It's under beehive/games in walnutcreek:
LADDER.ARC 53632 08-01-90 Fun game of Ladder. Game + install files.
Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages