The Pirx Commander for CP/M-86

Marek

Mar 13, 2022, 7:13:02 AM3/13/22
For those who are interested in CP/M-86 for the IBM PC I would like to announce the first release of a quite new application - the Pirx Commander for CP/M-86.

Short introduction:

The Pirx Commander is a typical two panel file browser. It simplifies most common file operations, enables modifying file attributes or recalling command history - to mention a few. It is based on a concept of the orthodox file browser implemented for the first time in the famous Norton Commander - Pirx maintains its layout, shortcuts and simplicity.

Special features:
Pirx for CP/M-86 interprets CP/M disk user areas as one-level subdirectories whith names, what makes it easier to manage files on a disk (see screenshots in the release file).

Pirx has a built-in file viewer. It displays file contents both in text- or in hexadecimal-modes. You can also search a file for text or byte string. A simple, standalone text editor RockEdit has been included in this Pirx's release, too.
As a kind of "bonus track" for the CP/M-86 diehards and explorers, two additional non-standard functions have been added: PC memory viewer and disk logical sector browser.

Pirx has been tested (under the PCe and PCem emulators) with classic CP/M-86 1.1 and Concurrent CP/M-86 3.1. It seems also to run well under Personal CP/M-86 2 and Concurrent DOS 4. Nevertheless, any further tests are welcome.

I encourage you to read the Pirx User's Guide (PIRXMAN.TXT) first in case of any problems or doubts.

It is available in its repository at:
https://github.com/MarekStarobrat/Pirx.Commander/tree/main/Releases

I release it with a hope that the Pirx Commander will be useful in your own work with the CP/M-86 operating system.

And last but not least, bear in mind that this is the first, still beta test version. Any bug reports are welcome - the email address can be found in the Pirx User's Guide.

Marek

Jonathan Haddox

Mar 13, 2022, 10:01:29 PM3/13/22
Hey this is cool!

retrogear

Mar 14, 2022, 6:39:52 AM3/14/22
Oh my this is awesome. NC for CPM86. I have CCPM 3.1 up on real hardware with a hard drive.
It appears to work on large volumes ? It's reading my hard drive ok. It has a sector editor too !! I will test this.

Larry G