Adven-80

Staffan V

Jun 25, 2003, 7:24:47 AM6/25/03
Sorry for the cross-posting, but this really applies to both groups.

I have recently started looking into the Adven-80 package that now
appears to be in the public domain. Adven-80 is a system to build
Scott Adams style adventures and it's based on a textfile containing
the adventure that is converted to assembler using a BASIC program.
Then the assembler file is compiled and linked with another compiled
assembler file that contains the actual runtime.

My future plans is to perhaps convert the assembler from Microsiot
MACRO-80 assembler to something like ASM80 or perhaps to Small-C. I
also plan to convert the BASIC program to C (or Small-C). Longtime
plans is to make a GUI for creating the adventure file and expanding
the runtime so it is more flexible and not just VERB NOUN. Perhaps
something along the lines of GAC or PAW.

Anyway, for now I haven't even managed to get a working program from
the demo adventure. I have managed to use Z80 EMULATOR VR1.2 to run
the M80 assembler and assemble the MAC files to REL files using
"=adven80 /z" and "=sampadv /z".
Then I start l80.com (LINK-80) to link the files, but no matter what I
try I always end up with "?No Start Address". What should I do?

Arobase, Salle multimédia

Jun 25, 2003, 11:53:34 AM6/25/03
> What should I do?

Read the manual!...

Staffan V

Jun 26, 2003, 3:41:51 AM6/26/03
"Arobase, Salle multimédia" <arobase1....@wanadoo.fr> wrote in message news:<bdcg61$aa$1...@news-reader3.wanadoo.fr>...

> > What should I do?

> Read the manual!...

The Adven-80 manual only says "Using L80 or Digital Research's LINK-80
linking loader, link ADVEN80.REL with SAMPADV.REL and save on disk
to the FILENAME.COM of your choice. Then run and enjoy." and that's
not very helpfull. The L80 manual isn't very helpfull either.

Staffan V

Jun 26, 2003, 5:47:07 AM6/26/03
"Arobase, Salle multimédia" <arobase1....@wanadoo.fr> wrote in message news:<bdcg61$aa$1...@news-reader3.wanadoo.fr>...

> > What should I do?

> Read the manual!...

The manual doesn't say that much about the "?No Start Address" error
(I hope I have the right manual). I *have* loaded the main program
(adven80.rel).

I have tried to use both /G and /E to set the start symbol to RUNB,
but all I get is "?Start symbol - RUNB - undefined".

Fredrik Ramsberg

Jun 26, 2003, 10:40:58 AM6/26/03
lif...@interface1.net (Staffan V) wrote in message news:<e8be9355.03062...@posting.google.com>...

As far as I can see from the ADVEN80.MAC, the code at RUNB is the first
to assemble to anything at all - everything before that are just
definitions, right? I would assume this means that no start symbol is
required. Of course, it should be ok to name one anyway.

Could it be that you're somehow using a malformed command? Since you
haven't stated exactly what your commands look like, it's hard to
tell. It seems that it should look something like:

L-80 GAME=ADVEN80,SAMPADV

or possibly:

L-80 GAME,[GRUNB]=ADVEN80,SAMPADV

This is the source of my information:
http://members.tripod.com/~rvbelzen/cpm/asuthelp.htm

/Fredrik

Staffan V

Jun 27, 2003, 11:20:35 AM6/27/03
f...@mail.com (Fredrik Ramsberg) wrote in message news:<ab01df60.03062...@posting.google.com>...

> Could it be that you're somehow using a malformed command?

It was a combination of several thing, but thanks to some help I got
ia e-mail I have sorted it out now.

Now all I have to do is to port it, expand it, add text compression
et.c. et.c. so it can become a more up-to-date tool. I'll probably
have to write a better description on how to compile and link too.

Thierry Pinelli

Jul 6, 2003, 2:10:42 AM7/6/03

Dans l'article <e8be9355.03062...@posting.google.com>
lif...@interface1.net écrivait :

>The manual doesn't say that much about the "?No Start Address" error
>(I hope I have the right manual). I *have* loaded the main program
>(adven80.rel).
>I have tried to use both /G and /E to set the start symbol to RUNB,
>but all I get is "?Start symbol - RUNB - undefined".

peters...@googlemail.com

Mar 11, 2017, 11:28:39 AM3/11/17
Goodness, how did this manage to resurface in the 21st Century - I wrote that back in 1981. It assumes you had that particular Assembler, written by a guy at MIT I seem to recall.

peters...@googlemail.com

Mar 11, 2017, 11:28:59 AM3/11/17

peters...@googlemail.com

Mar 24, 2020, 10:15:16 AM3/24/20
Amazingly here we are in 2020 in the middle of our worst epidemic in living memory - and a Japanese game journalist has just written to me about Japan's first ever adventure game from 1982 - and wanting backgound info on Adven-80 - will it ever end? Oh, well, fills in a few hours while we are grounded.... anyway - https://tech.scargill.net/a-trip-down-memory-lane/