6502

Roger Schmidt

Jan 27, 2008, 4:25:45 AM1/27/08
was there ever a version of CPM for the 6502 ??

Roger

Peter Dassow (remove the NOSPAM. for direct answer)

Jan 27, 2008, 5:27:28 AM1/27/08
Roger Schmidt wrote:
> was there ever a version of CPM for the 6502 ??
>
> Roger

I'm not sure why you're asking for that. Sure you know several sites
which describes the history of Digital Research, Gary Kildall, and also
CP/M ("Google" ...).
There are rumours about a CP/M for RCA 1802, but that's the only case I
know that it's not related with a Intel/Zilog derivat
(8080,8085,Z80,Z8000), and of course, the Motorola 68000 also.

Regards
Peter
--
* Try http://www.z80.eu for CP/M computer and software infos.

willpot

Jan 27, 2008, 5:47:48 AM1/27/08
That with existed, but, with an intermediate interface board
as on AppleII
To remake a CP/M 6502 it would be necessary to hang the source and to
convert them into 8080 or Z80, and, to take again each program in source and
tradiures too
Non compatible
Mission impossible

"Roger Schmidt" <rogers...@telia.com> a écrit dans le message de news:
t6Ymj.3140$R_4....@newsb.telia.net...

Peter Dassow (remove the NOSPAM. for direct answer)

Jan 27, 2008, 6:17:34 AM1/27/08
Peter Dassow (remove the NOSPAM. for direct answer) wrote:
> There are rumours about a CP/M for RCA 1802, but that's the only case I
> know that it's not related with a Intel/Zilog derivat
> (8080,8085,Z80,Z8000), and of course, the Motorola 68000 also.

Ok, I've forgotten the 808x family also for CP/M-86 (but there are Intel
derivats).

Rich Leary

Jan 27, 2008, 10:05:13 AM1/27/08

"Roger Schmidt" <rogers...@telia.com> wrote in message

> was there ever a version of CPM for the 6502 ??
>
> Roger

There was a CP/M compatible OS developed and sold in the 80s. It is called
DOS/65 and I am the developer. I still have the software and documentation
and in fact have started to convert the documentation to .pdf files.

The first document converted is the "DOS/65 System Description" that
provides an overview of the software. It is a 178KB document and if you like
I could send you a copy FYI.

Rich Leary

Roger Schmidt

Jan 27, 2008, 11:09:43 AM1/27/08
Rich Leary skrev:

Hey that sounds great! is it open source nowdays? or do you still
develop the software...

You can send info to my email address!

Roger

Peter Dassow (remove the NOSPAM. for direct answer)

Jan 27, 2008, 1:20:20 PM1/27/08

Richard,

you post similar infos several times at this newsgroup, but everytime
somebody asks you for getting more infos or how to get in touch with
DOS/65, you didn't answer. It would really appreciate if you would like
to publish more details or even provide a download link.
I would be the first one who will help to publish it on a web page...
Just try to search on groups.google.com for "leary" and "DOS/65" and you
will see ...

Regards
Peter

Rich Leary

Jan 27, 2008, 1:29:48 PM1/27/08

"Peter Dassow (remove the NOSPAM. for direct answer)"
<peter....@NOSPAM.z80.eu> wrote in message

My aplogies but until June 2006 I was very busy working for a major
aerospace company and had little if any time for fun things. From August of
that year until November of last year we were busy building our new house in
the Colorado Rockies. That is done which is why I have actually had some
time to start bringing the documentation up to a current format. I will send
both you and Roger a copy of the one document done.

Rich

Ruud

Jan 28, 2008, 6:31:47 AM1/28/08
Hallo Richard,

> I will send both you and Roger a copy of the one document done.

I would be very pleased with a copy as well. There was once a group of
Dutch DOS/65 users, using hardware based hardware designed by a Dutch
magazine, Elektuur/Elektor http://www.elektor.nl/ , and I have such a
system but no info or whatever. So everything is welcome !!!

--
___
/ __|__

Katzy

Jan 28, 2008, 7:29:50 AM1/28/08
Hello Rich.

>Ruud wrote in message ...

>> Rich Leary wrote:
>> I will send both you and Roger a copy of the one document done.
>
>I would be very pleased with a copy as well.

More persons I think and like Peter Dassow I will be able to publish the
documentation on a webpage, when you want.

Greetz, Katzy.

Rich Leary

Jan 28, 2008, 9:49:56 AM1/28/08

"Roger Schmidt" <rogers...@telia.com> wrote in message
> was there ever a version of CPM for the 6502 ??
>
> Roger

Peter Dassow has created a web page that has the two documents I have
converted to .pdf files so far. It is http://www.z80.eu/dos65.html .

I will feed him documents as they are done and he may also set up a code
area.

I will do documents as fast as possible but in some cases that will take
time. The original documents were done on a Wang word processor and some had
hand drawn art pasted onto the masters. That I have to either scan or
recreate.

Rich Leary

HansO

Jan 28, 2008, 12:29:24 PM1/28/08
Ruud <Ruud.Ba...@abp.nl> wrote:

>Hallo Richard,
>

>> I will send both you and Roger a copy of the one document done.
>
>I would be very pleased with a copy as well. There was once a group of
>Dutch DOS/65 users, using hardware based hardware designed by a Dutch
>magazine, Elektuur/Elektor http://www.elektor.nl/ , and I have such a
>system but no info or whatever. So everything is welcome !!!

Hi Ruud,

DOS65 (no / involved ;) ) was based on the Octopus hardware developed by the
magazine Elektor/Elektuur. It was a replacement of the not so powerful OS65D
from OSI. The OS needs a floppy disk controller (1793 based) developed by the
dutch KIM/6502 gg.

Afaik this DOS65 has nothing to do with DOS/65 and is also not CP/M compatible
at all.

I have two functional DOS65 systems, but besides some photos on my website I
have not found time to do more with it. Its in teh palnning, but too little
time, too much hobbies.

Rich Leary

Jan 28, 2008, 4:37:18 PM1/28/08

"Roger Schmidt" <rogers...@telia.com> wrote in message
> was there ever a version of CPM for the 6502 ??
>
> Roger

Some progress today on getting my S-100 system up and running either with
CP/M or DOS/65.

I knew where the motherboard box and 8 inch floppy box (both Vector boxes
with home built power supplies - very heaavy) were so I took the following
approach:

a. Pulled all cards from the motherboard box and tested the motherboard
power supply --> looked good.

b. Installed all cards with Z80 CPU board (rather than 6502) first.

c. Hooked up my Wyse-50 terminal to the correct Godbout Interfacer port.
Terminal powered up OK.

d. Powered up and hit reset --> monitor (homegrown) was alive and well.
Since the system had not been alive since mid-2003 I considered that a small
miracle.

e. Powered down and replaced Z80 CPU with 6502 CPU (home grown wire wrap).

f. Powered up and hit reset --> monitor (homegrown) was alive and well.
Another small miracle.

g. Powered down and connected 8 inch floppy to the floppy controller.

h. Searched for and found diskette boxes. Powered up, inserted boot diskette
in drive, and executed monitor command to boot --> head load but time out
after a few seconds, i.e., no boot.

i. Repeated with Z80 with same results.

So right now it is not working. Two obvious possible problems - controller
or disk drive. I have a brand new spare 8 inch drive so I'll probably start
there. Any suggestions would be welcome.

I do recall having this happen before and it appeared to be a thermal issue.
After warm up it would work so it is powered up as I write this and I will
test again. Keeping fingers crossed....

Rich Leary

Peter Dassow (remove the NOSPAM. for direct answer)

Jan 28, 2008, 6:20:31 PM1/28/08
Rich Leary wrote:

> [...]

> g. Powered down and connected 8 inch floppy to the floppy controller.
>
> h. Searched for and found diskette boxes. Powered up, inserted boot
> diskette in drive, and executed monitor command to boot --> head load
> but time out after a few seconds, i.e., no boot.
>
> i. Repeated with Z80 with same results.
>
> So right now it is not working. Two obvious possible problems -
> controller or disk drive [...]

Richard, do you really feel confident that the floppy disk media itself
is still in good condition ?
Typically I got first problems with the media, and rarely with the drive
or controller itself...

Rich Leary

Jan 28, 2008, 7:14:32 PM1/28/08

"Peter Dassow (remove the NOSPAM. for direct answer)"
<peter....@NOSPAM.z80.eu> wrote in message

Further testing -->

a. Floppy controller, drive, and media are OK. Problem was my bad memory - I
forgot that both Z80 & 6502 boot initializes the Xebec host adapter and hard
disk controller & the hard drive. Once I hooked that chain up I was booting.

b. Also found that slot I had my Compupro 17 RAM card in was not making good
contact. Caused some flaky ops. Different slot --> working well.

c. The hard disk has two partitions, one for CP/M & one for DOS/65. The CP/M
partition has at least one bad sector, right in the directory. Was not there
before. So far the DOS/65 partition appears OK. We are talking about a many
year old < 10 MB hard drive. Probably time to find a different approach.

So bottom line is the S-100 system is up and running and at least the DOS/65
side appears to be working OK.

Rich Leary

Steven Hirsch

Jan 29, 2008, 7:53:40 AM1/29/08
Rich Leary wrote:

> So bottom line is the S-100 system is up and running and at least the
> DOS/65 side appears to be working OK.

I take it this is requisite for recovery of the source code?

Rich Leary

Jan 29, 2008, 9:29:43 AM1/29/08

"Steven Hirsch" <snhi...@gmail.com> wrote in message

No, all source code is preserved on one of my PCs and is also backed up on
two other machines.

It is necessary for further development as all development has been done in
an actual 6502 - DOS/65 environment.

Rich Leary

David Graham Knoll

Jan 30, 2008, 8:22:33 AM1/30/08
I'm interested in this too, my 6502 SBC is currently minus an operating
system (apart from EhBASIC). s/news/david/ for my real address.

David

BruceMcF

Jan 30, 2008, 12:04:31 PM1/30/08
On Jan 27, 10:05 am, "Rich Leary" <rle...@fone.net> wrote:
> "Roger Schmidt" <rogerschm...@telia.com> wrote in message

Would it be possible to port it to the Commodore 64?

I ask because there were, in the day, some substantially more refined
CP/M Forth's than the C64 Forth's available, and there is even a
Forth-94 CP/M implementation ... while a 6502 based CP/M system would
not be binary executable compatible, it would seem to be the most
direct way to get source level compatibility with Forth-94 CP/M
sources.

Rich Leary

Jan 30, 2008, 4:36:56 PM1/30/08

"BruceMcF" <agi...@netscape.net> wrote in message

C64 is a real possibility. It was a port I had originally planned but never
did.

I had planned to use the C64 CP/M CBIOS as the starting point so disk format
and other behavior would be the same.

I do not have a copy of C64 CP/M so if someone has the CBIOS source and can
email it or post it somewhere that would be a help.

Rich Leary

Rich Leary

Jan 30, 2008, 4:40:36 PM1/30/08

"David Graham Knoll" <ne...@davidknoll.me.uk> wrote in message

See info at http://www.z80.eu/dos65.html

Peter Dassow (remove 'NOSPAM.')

Jan 30, 2008, 6:52:09 PM1/30/08
Rich Leary wrote:

>> Would it be possible to port it to the Commodore 64?
>>
>> [...]

> C64 is a real possibility. It was a port I had originally planned but
> never did.
>
> I had planned to use the C64 CP/M CBIOS as the starting point so disk
> format and other behavior would be the same.
>
> I do not have a copy of C64 CP/M so if someone has the CBIOS source and
> can email it or post it somewhere that would be a help.

Richard, I am not sure you really took a look on all pages of my site.
You can find the C64 CP/M custom BIOS sources (and more) at
http://www.z80.eu/c64.html ;-)

Peter

Rich Leary

Jan 30, 2008, 8:05:39 PM1/30/08

"Peter Dassow (remove 'NOSPAM.')" <peter....@NOSPAM.z80.eu> wrote in
message news:fnr2j7$i7f$01$1...@news.t-online.com...

I will look! Thanks.

Rich

Tom Lake

Jan 30, 2008, 10:02:48 PM1/30/08
> Richard, I am not sure you really took a look on all pages of my site.
> You can find the C64 CP/M custom BIOS sources (and more) at
> http://www.z80.eu/c64.html ;-)

But that's Z-80 code. He seems to want a native 6502 version of CP/M
not the CP/M code that needs the Z-80 cartridge.

Tom Lake

BruceMcF

Jan 30, 2008, 11:16:54 PM1/30/08

Yes, but its code that is implemented for the C64 hardware (1541/1571
drive, etc.), so it would still contain useful information for someone
who has already implemented something that is, in some sense, a 6502
CP/M.

Rich Leary

Jan 31, 2008, 1:20:32 AM1/31/08

"Peter Dassow (remove 'NOSPAM.')" <peter....@NOSPAM.z80.eu> wrote in
message news:fnr2j7$i7f$01$1...@news.t-online.com...

Peter,

Thanks for the tip.

I looked at your C64 page and indeed the Z80 CBIOS is there. That is a help.

What is not there (or at least I could not find it) is the 6502 portion of
the BIOS. It is referrred to as BIOS65 but is not one of the files listed.

Without that it is really a start from scratch, especially for the disk I/O
that needs to handle the logical to physical structure trasnlation.

If I am missing something please point me in the right direction.

Thanks,

Rich Leary

Peter Dassow (remove 'NOSPAM.')

Jan 31, 2008, 7:29:29 AM1/31/08
Rich Leary wrote:

> Peter,
>
> Thanks for the tip.
>
> I looked at your C64 page and indeed the Z80 CBIOS is there. That is a
> help.
>
> What is not there (or at least I could not find it) is the 6502 portion
> of the BIOS. It is referrred to as BIOS65 but is not one of the files
> listed.
>
> Without that it is really a start from scratch, especially for the disk
> I/O that needs to handle the logical to physical structure trasnlation.
>
> If I am missing something please point me in the right direction.

Richard,
the "BIOS65" is the KERNAL ROM itself, so you have to download a
commented disassembly from the C64 kernal ROM. Sure you know that the
C64 does not really handle any kind of floppy disk controller.
Instead, the C64 only knows how to send commands via/through the IEC
bus. But this should not be a real problem because you can also use just
a IEC command to get a sector from the floppy drive.
See also at my page the samples for reading/writing track 36-41 ...

Regards

BruceMcF

Jan 31, 2008, 12:43:10 PM1/31/08
On Jan 31, 7:29 am, "Peter Dassow (remove 'NOSPAM.')"
> * Tryhttp://www.z80.eufor CP/M computer and software infos.

Also, if the basic system gets up, using the Kernel IEC routines, the
first enhancement is to upload a fastloader routine to the 1541 or
1571 to speed up the sector transfers. Its not without reason that
many referred to the C64 drives over the serial bus as "random access
tape" ... there was a flaw in either the hardware or design of the IEC
protocol that prevented using the hardware serial shifters, and the
C64 does some bit banging instead to put data onto and read data from
the IEC bus ... with a 6502 at 1MHz.

And of course, people worked out later how to write routines that got
the data up and down faster.

The C64 PRG has documentation of the Kernel BIOS jump vector call
interface, which would be valuable in this context.

http://www.devili.iki.fi/pub/Commodore/docs/c64prg10.zip

Peter Dassow (remove 'NOSPAM.')

Jan 31, 2008, 12:47:21 PM1/31/08
Rich Leary wrote:

> What is not there (or at least I could not find it) is the 6502 portion
> of the BIOS. It is referrred to as BIOS65 but is not one of the files
> listed.

The kernal (aka BIOS65) could be found as a disassembled listing at
http://www.ffd2.com/fridge/docs/c64-diss.html#kernal

Regards
Peter

--
* Try http://www.z80.eu for CP/M computer and software infos.

Rolf Harrmann

Jan 31, 2008, 1:25:16 PM1/31/08
Hello Rich,

On Wed, 30 Jan 2008 23:20:32 -0700, "Rich Leary" wrote:

>What is not there (or at least I could not find it) is the 6502 portion of
>the BIOS. It is referrred to as BIOS65 but is not one of the files listed.
>
>Without that it is really a start from scratch, especially for the disk I/O
>that needs to handle the logical to physical structure trasnlation.
>
>If I am missing something please point me in the right direction.

I have a Book this is a Germany Version.

"Programmieren unter CP/M mit dem C64"

6510-Ladeprogramm BOOT-65
CP/M-Systemroutine BIOS-65

I scan this Sites and upload on my Homepage.

When i have scan this Sites then posting the Name of my Homepage
Sites, then you can download.

Rolf

CBFalconer

Jan 30, 2008, 10:24:52 PM1/30/08
David Graham Knoll wrote:

> I'm interested in this too, my 6502 SBC is currently minus an
> operating system (apart from EhBASIC). s/news/david/ for my real
> address.

irrelevant material. See the following links:

glen herrmannsfeldt

Jan 31, 2008, 2:14:26 PM1/31/08
CBFalconer wrote:

> David Graham Knoll wrote:

>>I'm interested in this too, my 6502 SBC is currently minus an
>>operating system (apart from EhBASIC). s/news/david/ for my real
>>address.

> Please do not top-post. Your answer belongs after (or intermixed
> with) the quoted material to which you reply, after snipping all
> irrelevant material. See the following links:

As with programming, posts should be in the form that is most
readable by others. Personally, I find many pages of quoted
material followed by a few lines of new comments less readable
than the few lines at the top. If there is no new question,
and so no likely follow-up, it doesn't confuse the flow so much.

In most cases, I won't scroll more than a few pages down, to
find the new comments.

-- glen

Rolf Harrmann

Jan 31, 2008, 3:47:51 PM1/31/08
Hello Rich,

On Wed, 30 Jan 2008 23:20:32 -0700, "Rich Leary" wrote:

>What is not there (or at least I could not find it) is the 6502 portion of
>the BIOS. It is referrred to as BIOS65 but is not one of the files listed.
>
>Without that it is really a start from scratch, especially for the disk I/O
>that needs to handle the logical to physical structure trasnlation.
>
>If I am missing something please point me in the right direction.

Download-Link

6510-Ladeprogramm BOOT-65
CP/M-Systemroutine BIOS-65

http://www.cpm-z80z180.de/c64cpm2008.html

Rolf

Peter Dassow (remove 'NOSPAM.')

Jan 31, 2008, 4:35:10 PM1/31/08
Rolf Harrmann wrote:
>> If I am missing something please point me in the right direction.
>
> Download-Link
>
> 6510-Ladeprogramm BOOT-65
> CP/M-Systemroutine BIOS-65
>
> http://www.cpm-z80z180.de/c64cpm2008.html

Rolf, thank you very much for your effort. I will try to convert these
scans to text, so everyone who is interested does not need to download
27 MByte except he wants to enjoy the originals.

Peter Dassow (remove 'NOSPAM.')

Jan 31, 2008, 5:10:56 PM1/31/08
Peter Dassow (remove 'NOSPAM.') wrote:

> Rolf, thank you very much for your effort. I will try to convert these
> scans to text, so everyone who is interested does not need to download
> 27 MByte except he wants to enjoy the originals.

I have uploaded the 1st listing as a text-pdf already on
http://www.z80.eu/c64.html , it's named BOOT65.PDF, the second one will
follow in a few hours (have to sleep also ;-)).

CBFalconer

Jan 31, 2008, 8:41:20 PM1/31/08

Read the links I posted. Proper posting also involves snipping,
and the result will be NO pages of quoted material. Your bad case
just won't appear.

Try the download section.

Lawrence Statton

Jan 31, 2008, 10:41:27 PM1/31/08
CBFalconer <cbfal...@yahoo.com> writes:
> Read the links I posted. Proper posting also involves snipping,
> and the result will be NO pages of quoted material. Your bad case
> just won't appear.

On the other hand, off-topic threads on netiquette go on for ever and ever and ....

--
Lawrence Statton - lawre...@abaluon.abaom s/aba/c/g
Computer software consists of only two components: ones and

Rich Leary

Feb 1, 2008, 5:52:58 PM2/1/08

"Peter Dassow (remove 'NOSPAM.')" <peter....@NOSPAM.z80.eu> wrote in
message news:fnth1f$i9u$01$1...@news.t-online.com...

Rolf & Peter,

That is great. I need to sit down with the C64 PRG and study this as it has
been a long time since I looked at C64 code.

However, it looks like BOOT65 executes a series of system calls to:

a. Load the BIOS-65 code at $0A00

b. Load the Z80 BOOT at $1000 that is mapped to $0000 in Z80 space.

c. Jump to the BIOS-65 at $0A00

Does some other things that I need to understand but these three steps
really help understand how CP/M gets started.

More when I get a better understanding.

Thank you for finding this and posting it!

Rich Leary

Peter Dassow (remove 'NOSPAM.')

Feb 5, 2008, 5:58:41 AM2/5/08
Rich Leary wrote:

>>> So bottom line is the S-100 system is up and running and at least the
>>> DOS/65 side appears to be working OK.
>>
>> I take it this is requisite for recovery of the source code?
>
> No, all source code is preserved on one of my PCs and is also backed up
> on two other machines.
>
> It is necessary for further development as all development has been done
> in an actual 6502 - DOS/65 environment.

To complete this thread ... now source code files can be downloaded at
http://www.z80.eu/dos65.html also.
All documentation needed to port this operating system to a C64, the
CBIOS, the BOOT-sequence, the BIOS65 and other useful infos e.g. about
the disk structure can be found at the same site, but in the C64 branch.

Peter