Kaypro: Advent ROM and SWP co-processor manuals?

Gregory Watson

Nov 6, 2021, 1:07:01 PM11/6/21
(Related to a CP/M machine)

Does anyone know where to find online a copy of:

1) Manual for installing the Advent ROM in a Kaypro?
2) Manual for installing the SWP-88 co-processor board in a Kaypro?

Background for question: I just bought a Kaypro 10 off of eBay. This should be running CP/M 2.2 with a 10MB hard drive. Based on the pictures from the seller, it was working when it was shipped. It wouldn't boot up when I got it, not even showing the initial Kaypro boot screen. So I then assumed it was just a loose connection inside and I would just open it up, check cables and socketed chips and try again. Back when I was a teenager, I worked part-time in a computer store that sold a lot of Kaypros, so have a very dated comfort level working inside of them, and own some other Kaypro CP/M machines.

Open up the machine, and then have a bit of a surprise. There were several boards that I wasn't expecting. What I've been able to identify so far are:

1) Advent/Plu-Perfect system ROM. This is in a "riser" type socket, but that socket is not actually plugged into anything. I'm assuming that's the reason I'm not booting, because it isn't plugged into the ROM socket. It was sitting just loose above a socket, and so I wonder if it popped out in transit. There's also a "daughter card" from Advent systems.

2) SWP 88 co-processor daughter board with an 8088 processor, along with a second board with additional RAM, 16 chips worth.

But before I start trying to plug things in, I thought I would check for manuals for these. Any ideas of where to check?

Without opening the machine more, I'm suspecting that the hard drive was also not original given that it appears to be a half-height drive, and given the Kaypro serial numbers, this was an early machine when I would have expected a full height drive.

Other places/suggestions of where to check?

Gregory Watson

Nov 6, 2021, 1:24:49 PM11/6/21
And answering some of my own questions, I've found some documentation is places I should have checked first, but was too specific in my google search.

Turbo rom: http://www.retroarchive.org/maslin/disks/kaypro/
SWP: http://www.zorba.z80.de/swp.htm

Any thoughts/advice would be more than welcome.

Roger Hanscom

Nov 6, 2021, 2:08:47 PM11/6/21
On Saturday, November 6, 2021 at 10:07:01 AM UTC-7, gregor...@gmail.com wrote:
> (Related to a CP/M machine)
>
> Does anyone know where to find online a copy of:
>
> 1) Manual for installing the Advent ROM in a Kaypro?

There is a rather extensive discussion of the TurboROM in the Kaypro sub-directory of the CP/M CDROM (filename is turborom.doc). There is a squeezed version of the file there as well. There's also a partial disassembly of *MY* copy of the TurboROM on my Web site (www.hanscom.us). Look in the CBIOS Boneyard!).

Roger

Gregory Watson

Nov 7, 2021, 7:11:15 AM11/7/21
Thanks! I'll take a look.

Steven Hirsch

Nov 7, 2021, 9:07:31 AM11/7/21
On 11/6/21 1:07 PM, Gregory Watson wrote:

> 2) SWP 88 co-processor daughter board with an 8088 processor, along with a
> second board with additional RAM, 16 chips worth.
Oh, oh, oh... You may have the Holy Grail in front of you! Several of us in
the Kaypro hobby community have been looking for the proper SWP 88 support
software for years. Did the system come with anything on floppy, or is it
just the hard disk? If the latter, do you have any way to read off the image,
such as an mfmemu device?

Please contact me directly via e-mail and I can get you setup with any
documentation or information relative to the TurboROM. Would also like to
discuss recovery of the hard disk contents in the event you are unable to get
the system working.

Steve

Gregory Watson

Nov 7, 2021, 9:45:19 AM11/7/21
Many thanks to you and anyone else who can help.

Answering some questions (and some anticipated): No, the system did not come with any floppy disks.

Based on the original eBay listing (see: https://www.ebay.com/itm/124963323553?hash=item1d1864fea1:g:ARYAAOSw4vdhcBkE and then look at the pictures), I think it was working before it was shipped to me, and then just expecting something came loose, which is why I opened it up.

Given this, and other messages, I'll be very careful before doing anything that could damage it, and listen to other people.

If people are interested, I can send you some pictures of the boards I took earlier this morning, as we figure out what is here.

Greg

Bryan

Dec 30, 2021, 5:45:19 AM12/30/21
On Sunday, November 7, 2021 at 9:45:19 AM UTC-5, gregor...@gmail.com wrote:
> Many thanks to you and anyone else who can help.
>
> Answering some questions (and some anticipated): No, the system did not come with any floppy disks.

Hi all. I have some information for you on the SWP Co-Power Board. Some years ago I purchased a complete Kaypro 2X+88 (Probably 1998) that had one of these installed, with all software and manuals. Over time, I picked up a few more boards as they showed up on ebay. I honestly can't remember all the related items I purchased for this system over the years, or even what's in the box of SWP Co-Power boards other than there are several new examples of it.

I scanned the manual and uploaded it here: https://files.catbox.moe/gxnu5v.pdf

Some preview images I took last night after digging the manual out: https://pic8.co/a/b5fa78e4-b369-43d7-a024-845a31bbefa7/11fbbc82-a79f-4ce8-9680-75572c9307d4/

The manual is dated August 20, 1985, and I assume it's probably one of the last revisions of this board. I know there are a couple of different configurations as evidenced by the examples in my collection, but the one in my system has the full 1MB onboard.

This is a very raw scan of the pages exactly as they came out of the book @ 400DPI, so someone will need to cut it apart and re-assemble the pages in the correct order. As for the software, I know I still have it but it's been at least 15 years or more since I've had need to use the machine. I have no idea if it still works, will read disks (the sync separator IC already went bad once,) and if I can copy the software. If I can, I'll try and get it online somehow but there are absolutely no promises or guarantees here. It's going to take me some time to locate everything.

The disks have all been stored in a climate-controlled home, so they should work - but again, no guarantees or promises.

ldkr...@gmail.com

Dec 30, 2021, 10:00:55 AM12/30/21
I have stumbled across the Schematics for the SWP co-processor Board(s).
[url]http://www.retroarchive.org/maslin/disks/kpro/index.html[/url]

swp-schm.zip 289310 ZIP Containing SWP-1.PDF, SWP-2.PDF, SWP-3.PDF, and SWP-4.PDF.

Also the advent1.zip and advent2.zip files for patching applications.
[quote]
TurboROM patches for Kaypro Software

This disk contains files that are used to "patch" several appli#
cation programs that were either bundled by Kaypro or are
specific to the Kaypro. The files that are requied for the
patches are located on USER area 0:

1. TRPATCH.COM Executable program that does the patching.
2. TRPATCH.DAT Data file that contains the patch info.

To use the patch program, the files TRPATCH.COM and TRPATCH.DAT
should be copied to the same drive and user as the application
programs. At the operating system prompt enter "TRPATCH" and a
RETURN to execute the TRPATCH.COM program. The TRPATCH program
will present a menu of files to patch; just follow the
instructions.
[/quote]

Larry

Steven Hirsch

Dec 30, 2021, 10:13:56 AM12/30/21
More copies of Copower diskettes are always good, but the "Holy Grail" is
still missing: Support for Kaypro 10 (earlier model). I have tried every
other diskette image available on the web and none will work on a K10.

Message has been deleted

Bryan

Dec 30, 2021, 12:09:34 PM12/30/21
I will check my diskette stash this weekend and see if I can find the things. I have originals laying around somewhere.

After reading the manual, it looks like my stuff is probably for the Universal board in the newer machines like the 2X, and not for the older K10, so it's unlikely that the software I have will work - at least the software I used, unless the original disks contained the old versions.

I do have a box of SWP components in storage, I can't remember if that came with disks or just hardware. I'll try and locate that and my master copies of the software and let you know.
Message has been deleted

Bryan

Jan 2, 2022, 7:09:40 PM1/2/22
I went through my junk and found the box of SWP stuff. There's a box of disks, three Co-Power 88 boards, some mount plates and packs of accessories, as well as a bunch of documentation including a cool SWP-branded MS-DOS 2.0 manual.

Here's some pictures of what's in there, if any of those disks looks like they may work I'll drag a machine out and see if I can get them to read.

https://pic8.co/a/cb3c32d2-97f5-45de-a9ea-7b0c8fee3fdc

Matthew Demicco

May 27, 2022, 9:18:28 PM5/27/22
On Thursday, December 30, 2021 at 10:13:56 AM UTC-5, Steven Hirsch wrote:

> More copies of Copower diskettes are always good, but the "Holy Grail" is
> still missing: Support for Kaypro 10 (earlier model). I have tried every
> other diskette image available on the web and none will work on a K10.

I have what appears to be a Kaypro 4(83) Plus 88 that has a Kaypro-branded MS DOS 1.25 loader. Perhaps these will work? Unfortunately, the DOS disk itself, while bootable, seems to be somewhat damaged.

Also, my system seems unable to make use of the 2.11 images that are floating around the Internet - the ramdisk.com works (at address EE, not the default) but msdos.com gives me an error about the 8088 not being detected.