Hunt The Wumpus - Fixed and Re-released

109 views
Skip to first unread message

Lawrence Woodman

unread,
Jun 13, 2019, 4:11:16 AM6/13/19
to
Hello,

I've been playing with the Hunt the Wumpus game from the Walnut Creek CD
but found there were a few problems with it that prevented it from running
properly. So I've fixed these and created an .LBR file to re-release it.

The new version is available from the article I wrote about it:
https://techtinkering.com/articles/hunt-the-wumpus-on-cpm/

and can be seen being played on a C128 on youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CL9jo6yhXVM


Have fun


Lorry

---
https://techtinkering.com/articles/tag/cpm/
https://youtube.com/techtinkering

hper...@gmail.com

unread,
Jun 14, 2019, 4:11:14 AM6/14/19
to
On Thursday, June 13, 2019 at 10:11:16 AM UTC+2, Lawrence Woodman wrote:
> The new version is available from the article I wrote about it:
> https://techtinkering.com/articles/hunt-the-wumpus-on-cpm/
>

The download link seems to be broken, I get error 404 - File Not Found.

Lawrence Woodman

unread,
Jun 14, 2019, 4:56:19 AM6/14/19
to
Thanks for letting me know. I've just fixed it.

I was going to link directly to it in the newsgroup post, but I'm thinking
of creating a curated archive of CP/M software and didn't want the post
to suffer from link-rot.

Have fun hunting the Wumpus!

Martin

unread,
Jun 14, 2019, 5:59:10 PM6/14/19
to
Am 06/13/2019 10:11 AM, Lawrence Woodman schrieb:
> Hello,
>
> I've been playing with the Hunt the Wumpus game from the Walnut Creek CD
> but found there were a few problems with it that prevented it from running
> properly. So I've fixed these and created an .LBR file to re-release it.
>

If you want compare it with the official "CAVE update" on Sig/M.028.

On the "The CPM DOSgg Collection"

<http://www.classiccmp.org/cpmarchives/ftp.php?b=cpm%2FSoftware%2FCPM_DOSGG%2FCPM10%2F1028>

you find all updated CAVE0-CAVE5 files uncorrupted.

Martin

Lawrence Woodman

unread,
Jun 15, 2019, 2:13:15 AM6/15/19
to
Thanks, although I can't say how official it is, I came across this
update after I released my version of it.

The CAVE3 is different than the one published in
'More Basic Computer Games':
https://www.atariarchives.org/morebasicgames/showpage.php?page=181

As I had already gone through the effort of correcting and checking the
one from the book, I thought I would go with the published one that I was
sure was correct as opposed to one which I knew little about.

In any case the line endings and EOF termination needed fixing on the
.DOC and .PAS files and hopefully it's helpful to people to have it
bundled into a single .LBR file.


Best wishes

Martin

unread,
Jun 15, 2019, 4:26:23 AM6/15/19
to
Am 06/15/2019 08:13 AM, Lawrence Woodman schrieb:
>
> Thanks, although I can't say how official it is, I came across this
> update after I released my version of it.
>
> The CAVE3 is different than the one published in
> 'More Basic Computer Games':
> https://www.atariarchives.org/morebasicgames/showpage.php?page=181
>
> As I had already gone through the effort of correcting and checking the
> one from the book, I thought I would go with the published one that I was
> sure was correct as opposed to one which I knew little about.
>
> In any case the line endings and EOF termination needed fixing on the
> ..DOC and .PAS files and hopefully it's helpful to people to have it
> bundled into a single .LBR file.
>

One last link :-)

"(original materials from Pascal Z User Group volume 3)"

Looking in:
http://www.bitsavers.org/bits/Users_Groups/PascalZ/PASZ03.zip

Here are the unmodified sources, CAVE0 and CAVE1 have one aditional
space in the third line, and CAVE3 is zero length, as described in
"-CATA028.ACK":

[Ray has given us our first game update also. The caves are
from Wumpus which is on Sig/M.021. Cave3 had 0 records in it.
So now Wumpus will be complete.]


Lawrence Woodman

unread,
Jun 15, 2019, 4:50:19 AM6/15/19
to
On Sat, 15 Jun 2019 10:25:28 +0200, Martin wrote:

> Am 06/15/2019 08:13 AM, Lawrence Woodman schrieb:
>>
>> Thanks, although I can't say how official it is, I came across this
>> update after I released my version of it.
>>
>> The CAVE3 is different than the one published in
>> 'More Basic Computer Games':
>> https://www.atariarchives.org/morebasicgames/showpage.php?page=181
>>
>> As I had already gone through the effort of correcting and checking the
>> one from the book, I thought I would go with the published one that I was
>> sure was correct as opposed to one which I knew little about.
>>
>> In any case the line endings and EOF termination needed fixing on the
>> ..DOC and .PAS files and hopefully it's helpful to people to have it
>> bundled into a single .LBR file.
>>
>
> One last link :-)

It's ok I'm happy to find out more about this.

> "(original materials from Pascal Z User Group volume 3)"
>
> Looking in:
> http://www.bitsavers.org/bits/Users_Groups/PascalZ/PASZ03.zip

> Here are the unmodified sources, CAVE0 and CAVE1 have one aditional
> space in the third line, and CAVE3 is zero length, as described in
> "-CATA028.ACK":

Thanks, I had missed that in the ACK file. The update is by Ray Penley,
not the original author. The problem with the spacing in the original
and these updated CAVE? files is that it adds an erroneous extra space
into the display of which cave you are in so I reformatted them as well.
The extra spaces in the lines describing the rooms don't really matter
but as I was correcting the header for each it made sense to realign
the whole of the files.

Martin

unread,
Jun 15, 2019, 5:40:16 AM6/15/19
to
Am 06/15/2019 10:50 AM, Lawrence Woodman schrieb:
> Thanks, I had missed that in the ACK file. The update is by Ray Penley,
> not the original author. The problem with the spacing in the original
> and these updated CAVE? files is that it adds an erroneous extra space
> into the display of which cave you are in so I reformatted them as well.
> The extra spaces in the lines describing the rooms don't really matter
> but as I was correcting the header for each it made sense to realign
> the whole of the files.
>
>
> Best wishes
>
>
> Lorry

While searching around, I found a very interesting related publication:

"Wumpus Advisor 1."
<https://archive.org/details/DTIC_ADA036678/>

It contains no source code but the description gives a very good insight
how to actually *SOLVE* the game.


Martin

Lawrence Woodman

unread,
Jun 15, 2019, 10:07:48 AM6/15/19
to
That's great and also quite funny in a way how this little game was being
used for something potentially serious. But then again, it's no different
than basing something around chess or tic-tac-toe which have often been
used.

Gregory Yob thought people would use a more considered strategy than he
says they ended up using, so at least MIT lived up to his expectations.

I have updated the article to point to this.
Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages