Sad news: Mr. Emmanuel Roche

Lawrence Woodman

Jan 19, 2022, 3:55:44 AMJan 19
Sad news I'm afraid. Jim Watt has just posted the following:

I am saddened to inform you that I have been advised by the civil
authorities of Tonnay-Charente France that Mr. Emmanuel ROCHE died on
December 20th. 2021. He was active on a number of CP/M projects at the
time of his death and his enthusiasm and knowledge will be missed. I do
not have any further information at this time.

Lorry

--
Breakout Style Games on CP/M
https://techtinkering.com/articles/breakout-style-games-on-cpm/

retrogear

Jan 19, 2022, 4:46:58 AMJan 19
Sad news indeed. I was wondering why he hadn't responded to my last email in the end of November 2021. He was very interested in my
revival of CCPM 3.1 for the IBM PC and requested a 720k 3.5 inch floppy image for his "IBM PC Convertible". He was my inspiration for
continuing the project. I sent him the image and never received a reply. I remember his past references to "IBM PC Clown" which was how
he described all the IBM PC compatibles that were produced over the years. Remembering that phrase brings a smile to my face.
Rest In Peace Mr. Roche.

Larry G

Fritz

Jan 19, 2022, 7:02:42 AMJan 19
Yes, very sad.

I had from time to time contact with him since the beginning of the 90th.

--
-- Fritz

Steven Hirsch

Jan 19, 2022, 9:18:08 AMJan 19
On 1/19/22 3:55 AM, Lawrence Woodman wrote:
> Sad news I'm afraid. Jim Watt has just posted the following:
>
> I am saddened to inform you that I have been advised by the civil
> authorities of Tonnay-Charente France that Mr. Emmanuel ROCHE died on
> December 20th. 2021. He was active on a number of CP/M projects at the
> time of his death and his enthusiasm and knowledge will be missed. I do
> not have any further information at this time.

Roche could be a bit odd in his attitudes, but he brought a lot of energy and
enthusiasm to the community. I'm very sad to hear of his passing.

hl351ge

Jan 19, 2022, 11:56:15 AMJan 19
Am 19.01.2022 um 09:55 schrieb Lawrence Woodman:
> Sad news I'm afraid. Jim Watt has just posted the following:
>
> I am saddened to inform you that I have been advised by the civil
> authorities of Tonnay-Charente France that Mr. Emmanuel ROCHE died on
> December 20th. 2021. He was active on a number of CP/M projects at the
> time of his death and his enthusiasm and knowledge will be missed. I do
> not have any further information at this time.

Indeed, very sad.
I was in email contact with him until mid october, and since then
never got a reply from him again, which was rather surprising because he
usually answered fast and friendly.

May he rest in peace.

Holger

ogd...@gmail.com

Jan 19, 2022, 12:25:37 PMJan 19
Sad to hear.
He and I had periodic correspondence over several years especially on CP/M and PL/M.

May he rest in peace.

Mark

Tony Nicholson

Jan 19, 2022, 4:30:16 PMJan 19
On Wednesday, January 19, 2022 at 7:55:44 PM UTC+11, Lorry wrote:
> Sad news I'm afraid. Jim Watt has just posted the following:
>
> I am saddened to inform you that I have been advised by the civil
> authorities of Tonnay-Charente France that Mr. Emmanuel ROCHE died on
> December 20th. 2021. He was active on a number of CP/M projects at the
> time of his death and his enthusiasm and knowledge will be missed. I do
> not have any further information at this time.

Mr Roche made many fine contributions to preserving, researching and
re-typing text concerning many details about CP/M software. These
can be found in the archives of this newsgroup and related sites.

Long may they be preserved.

Vale Emmanuel

dxforth

Jan 19, 2022, 5:44:40 PMJan 19
Terrible news. He was always extremely enthusiastic which rubbed off
on those around him. A keen interest in chasing down anything related
to CP/M particularly if it was in danger of being lost.

Jonathan Haddox

Jan 19, 2022, 9:18:22 PMJan 19
He certainly had a lot of energy, I worked with him on several projects, most recently getting Tarbell Basic restored from cassette tape so he could dis-assemble it and send a copy of the source code to Tom Dilatush the original author. He was very good at tracking people down. Before that I procured and shipped a TI Silent 700 to him, he had a strong desire for a paper based terminal. Once in a while I'd find a rare document and send it his way, which was always met with delight and he'd re-type it on his beloved Epson QX-10, (with annotations and corrections of course). R.I.P. Friend

Martin

Jan 19, 2022, 11:51:43 PMJan 19
I will always remember him as the french gentleman on comp.os.cpm

Adieu!

Udo Munk

Jan 20, 2022, 5:53:19 AMJan 20
I'm sorry to read this. Over the decades I had many contacts with Emmanuel regarding
Digital Research and Mark Williams Company products. He was very enthusiastic about
reviving the old software, which sometimes resulted in disputes and going on our nerves.
But in the end his persistence resulted in documentation and source code, nowadays
available for anyone who wants to use this.

Where ever you are now Emmanuel, thanks for your support over decades and I wish
you all the best.

Udo

Hector Peraza

Jan 20, 2022, 9:44:19 AMJan 20
On Wednesday, January 19, 2022 at 9:55:44 AM UTC+1, lorryw...@gmail.com wrote:
> Sad news I'm afraid. Jim Watt has just posted the following:
>
> I am saddened to inform you that I have been advised by the civil
> authorities of Tonnay-Charente France that Mr. Emmanuel ROCHE died on
> December 20th. 2021. He was active on a number of CP/M projects at the
> time of his death and his enthusiasm and knowledge will be missed. I do
> not have any further information at this time.

Very sorry to hear about that. He was a very active member of this newsgroup, and although the frequency of his posts faded a bit during the last couple of years, I always read with interest his notes and retyped documentation of old articles and rare manuals. We had regular contacts via PM where he helped me, among other things, to trace back the origins of a rare one-pass PL/M compiler recovered from an old tape, and even found documentation about it.

We'll certainly miss his contributions and his sarcastic sense of humor (anyone familiar with the French culture will recognize his "attitude" as perfectly normal, with sarcasm used mainly as a joke and not meant to harm, even when it may have sounded rude to the ears of an English-speaking person.)

R.I.P.
Héctor.

marb...@yahoo.co.uk

Jan 20, 2022, 9:49:04 AMJan 20
Sad news, indeed.
My condolences to his friends and family.

Tadeusz Pycio

Jan 20, 2022, 12:12:21 PMJan 20
Sad news. I was still corresponding with him until mid-November while I was working on CP/NET... RIP

rwd...@gmail.com

Jan 20, 2022, 12:37:50 PMJan 20
I used to help Emmanuel Roche obtain second-hand books and publications in the UK that he couldn't order from France, and one of those was in french, on the subject of the use of drums for long distance communication by tribes in Africa. In light of the sad news of Emmanuel's death I did a little google searching and discovered Emmanuel ROCHE (62 years old) Birth 03/12/1959 in CASABLANCA MOROCCO Death 20/12/2021 in Tonnay-Charente.
This is definitely our Emmanuel because of the Tonnay Charente address.

Now comes a bit of speculation, given his interest in drums for communication, could he be the same Emmanuel Roche who was an occasional percussionist on Casablanca Records in the 1975-1979 period?

Regardless, I shall miss his eccentric requests for help, and his helping me with CP/M related problems.
Richard

Андрей Никитин

Jan 20, 2022, 4:37:01 PMJan 20
четверг, 20 января 2022 г. в 20:37:50 UTC+3, rwd...@gmail.com:
I have relatively recently become a member of the comp.os.cpm group, although I have often read messages from it before. I remember the messages from Emmanuel Roche. He was an active participant in the correspondence. He was interested in my work and managed to write me several letters. Emmanuel Roche lived only 62 years. It's not much, but he managed to do a lot of things. On the Emmanuel Roche page (https://www.z80 cpu.eu/roche-pages ) he laid out his family tree. I think he spent a lot of time and effort on compiling it. However, apparently he took everything seriously. He left the memory of his ancestors to the younger generation of his family. For us - restored documents and programs. It is sad that we begin to be interested in a person only after he leaves, when he no longer needs it. The memory of him will remain in our hearts for a long time. I express my condolences to friends and family.

Andrey

dott.Piergiorgio

Jan 23, 2022, 8:52:36 AMJan 23
On 19/01/22 09:55, Lawrence Woodman wrote:
> Sad news I'm afraid. Jim Watt has just posted the following:
>
> I am saddened to inform you that I have been advised by the civil
> authorities of Tonnay-Charente France that Mr. Emmanuel ROCHE died on
> December 20th. 2021. He was active on a number of CP/M projects at the
> time of his death and his enthusiasm and knowledge will be missed. I do
> not have any further information at this time.

Sad news indeed.

Rest in Peace, Emmanuel !

Dott. Piergiorgio.

Message has been deleted

Andreas Gerlich

May 9, 2022, 3:31:24 PMMay 9
On Wed, 19 Jan 2022 00:55:41 -0800 (PST)
Lawrence Woodman <lorryw...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Sad news I'm afraid. Jim Watt has just posted the following:
>
> I am saddened to inform you that I have been advised by the civil
> authorities of Tonnay-Charente France that Mr. Emmanuel ROCHE died on
> December 20th. 2021. He was active on a number of CP/M projects at the
> time of his death and his enthusiasm and knowledge will be missed. I do
> not have any further information at this time.

Indeed sad news.

R.I.P.
Andreas Gerlich

--