Is SPAM the new normal around here?

Nathanael

Dec 8, 2023, 11:36:54 PM12/8/23
Haven't been keeping up on the group the past few months and return to see lots of spam. Is this the new normal here?

--Nathanael

David Schultz

Dec 9, 2023, 4:29:27 AM12/9/23
On 12/8/23 10:36 PM, Nathanael wrote:
> Haven't been keeping up on the group the past few months and return to see lots of spam. Is this the new normal here?
>
> --Nathanael
It is a continuation of an attack, via Google groups servers, that
started a while back. It only abated on comp.arch when Google groups
marked that group as read only thus preventing the spammers from posting
from Google.

The web portal at Google groups lets you report spam and I have been
doing that. Not that it seems to have done much good so far.

https://groups.google.com/g/comp.os.cpm

--
http://davesrocketworks.com
David Schultz

yeti

Dec 9, 2023, 6:45:26 AM12/9/23
Interesting!

a) I see near to no spam here.

b) I do not see the message you reply to.

My news reader complains:

| Couldn’t fetch article
| <6dcfecaa-0547-4b39...@googlegroups.com>

I definitely do not locally filter "<*@googlegroups.com>" message-ids
or GG by other means, so this may be a false positive of the GG-spam
filtering now common in some Usenet nodes.

c) Such incidents will get more common. GG users please think about
using GG only for groups only available there and a Usenet feed for
Usenet groups, otherwise the GG-spam will split lots of communities
when the transport between GG and Usenet gets cut because of GG-spam.

--
1. Hitchhiker 25: (64) "What's the problem?" said Lunkwill. (65) "I'll
tell you what the problem is mate," said Majikthise, "demarcation,

David Schultz

Dec 9, 2023, 11:02:28 AM12/9/23
On 12/9/23 5:45 AM, yeti wrote:

> a) I see near to no spam here.

It has varied quite a bit between groups and this one is pretty light.
comp.lang.forth is worse and comp.arch was the worst I saw with thousands.

https://groups.google.com/g/comp.arch

Still not as bad as the sporgery attacks something over a decade ago.

marb...@yahoo.co.uk

Dec 9, 2023, 9:25:50 PM12/9/23
On Saturday 9 December 2023 at 04:36:54 UTC, Nathanael wrote:
> Haven't been keeping up on the group the past few months and return to see lots of spam. Is this the new normal here?
The 68k group is usually much quieter than here, but that's getting several spam posts/day :-(

Nathanael

Dec 13, 2023, 5:40:50 AM12/13/23
Anyone have any recommendations for a good setup with (free, if possible) Usenet feed?

nathanael

yeti

Dec 13, 2023, 11:02:45 AM12/13/23
Nathanael <cjec...@gmail.com> writes:

> Anyone have any recommendations for a good setup with (free, if
> possible) Usenet feed?

I've registered at <https://www.eternal-september.org/> and
<https://solani.org/>.

As news-reader I'm using Emacs/GNUS. SLRN and Thunderbird seem popular.

Some systems even have web frontends to Usenet, e.g. NovaBBS[0], but
I've no idea where their sign-up page hides.

____________

[0]: <https://www.novabbs.com/>

--
1. Hitchhiker 30: (6) "No," said the old man, "that's just perfectly
normal paranoia. Everyone in the Universe has that."

Nathanael

Dec 14, 2023, 12:54:31 AM12/14/23
I've registered at eternal-september, but Thunderbird and Claws cannot connect to the server. There's something I'm not sussing about configuration. I'll have to try when I've got time this weekend.

--nathanael

yeti

Dec 14, 2023, 9:41:59 AM12/14/23
Nathanael <cjec...@gmail.com> writes:

> I've registered at eternal-september, but Thunderbird and Claws cannot
> connect to the server. There's something I'm not sussing about
> configuration. I'll have to try when I've got time this weekend.

I've no TB here but I heard of such problems. There seems to be an
option to force sending the password in TB's per server configuration.
E-S offers access to their local groups without password and so TB isn't
reminded to send one at all for the higher access level.

If you see them, jump into eternal-september.config or *.support, there
they probably know where to find that option with closed eyes.

If you do not see the eternal-september.* groups, it is a different
problem. More input needed.

Maybe the FAQ helps?

<https://www.eternal-september.org/index.php?showpage=faq>

Wait...

I heard that the eternal-september.* groups are accessible via GG too,
but I do not know if they already are filtered?

Digging... never used GG before...

<https://groups.google.com/g/eternal-september.config>
<https://groups.google.com/g/eternal-september.support>

So help is near. \o/

Getting the hints via GG may be the easiest way to get the switch done?

--
I do not bite, I just want to play.

dxf

Dec 14, 2023, 11:41:38 PM12/14/23
On 14/12/2023 4:54 pm, Nathanael wrote:
> I've registered at eternal-september, but Thunderbird and Claws cannot connect to the server. There's something I'm not sussing about configuration. I'll have to try when I've got time this weekend.

FWIW these are my TB settings for E-S

Account settings:

Outgoing server (SMTP): Edit SMTP server..

Server Name: news.eternal-september.org Port: 465
Connection security: SSL/TLS
Authentication method: Normal password
User name: <E-S UserID>

Server settings:

Server Name: news.eternal-september.org Port: 119
Connection security: None

hl351ge

Dec 15, 2023, 3:55:28 AM12/15/23
For the server settings my settings are:
Server name: news.eternal-september.org Port 563
Connection security: SSL/TLS
[X] Always request authentication when connecting to this server
Default character encoding: Unicode (UTF-8)

Paolo Amoroso

Dec 15, 2023, 6:21:02 AM12/15/23
Google Groups is ending support for Usenet on February 22, 2024 https://support.google.com/groups/answer/11036538

Paolo Amoroso

Dec 15, 2023, 8:14:41 AM12/15/23
On Wednesday, December 13, 2023 at 5:02:45 PM UTC+1, yeti wrote:
> Nathanael <cjec...@gmail.com> writes:
[...]
> Some systems even have web frontends to Usenet, e.g. NovaBBS[0], but
> I've no idea where their sign-up page hides.
[...]
> [0]: <https://www.novabbs.com/>

Isn't this the NovaBBS registration form? https://www.novabbs.com/common/register.php

bill

Dec 15, 2023, 8:40:21 AM12/15/23

Google is leaving USENET. The first decent thing they have
done since coming into existence.

bill

yeti

Dec 15, 2023, 9:18:28 AM12/15/23
bill <bill.gu...@gmail.com> writes:

> Google is leaving USENET. The first decent thing they have
> done since coming into existence.

See signature..

--
[2023-12-15]: Google announces Google Groups' "Usenet Suicide" to happen
two months later.

yeti

Dec 15, 2023, 9:22:10 AM12/15/23
Paolo Amoroso <paolo....@gmail.com> writes:

> Isn't this the NovaBBS registration form?
> https://www.novabbs.com/common/register.php

I'm known to sometimes suffer from a kind of GUI-blindness...

--
GNUS. The final frontier. They say GNUS has more than 800 commands and
functions. Just call them SPELLs! So who needs other MUDs? Be a hero!

David Schultz

Dec 15, 2023, 12:19:47 PM12/15/23
Good and bad. Google got into the Usenet game by acquiring Deja-News
which archived Usenet. Or parts of it. I will not be sad to see Google
vanish from Usenet but the archive will be missed.

dxf

Dec 15, 2023, 6:44:23 PM12/15/23
On 16/12/2023 4:19 am, David Schultz wrote:
> On 12/15/23 7:40 AM, bill wrote:
>>

>> Google is leaving USENET.  The first decent thing they have
>> done since coming into existence.
>>
>> bill
>>
> Good and bad. Google got into the Usenet game by acquiring Deja-News which archived Usenet. Or parts of it. I will not be sad to see Google vanish from Usenet but the archive will be missed.

Google claims the archive and posts up to the cut-off date will remain available
to read. Of course at any point in the future they can claim folks have moved
on and it no longer serves any purpose as they've done here now. What they
actually mean is it no longer serves them to keep it.

Paolo Amoroso

Dec 16, 2023, 1:50:43 PM12/16/23
On Friday, December 15, 2023 at 5:41:38 AM UTC+1, dxf wrote:
> FWIW these are my TB settings for E-S

I'm trying to set up Thunderbird for Eternal September too but, although it does list the public local groups, it still doesn't access the groups that require authentication.

> Account settings:
>
> Outgoing server (SMTP): Edit SMTP server..
>
> Server Name: news.eternal-september.org Port: 465
> Connection security: SSL/TLS
> Authentication method: Normal password
> User name: <E-S UserID>

Is this an outgoing SMTP server provided by Eternal September? I thought I had to use the server of my own email account. But, regardless of the server, I can't figure where to set up the password of the email account.

> Server settings:
>
> Server Name: news.eternal-september.org Port: 119
> Connection security: None

These are the NNTP server settings I'm using. But, as noted above, Thunderbird doesn't show the full list of groups. And, after fiddling with the settings, now the program freezes when connecting to the NNTP server.

Paolo Amoroso

Dec 16, 2023, 2:27:00 PM12/16/23
On 12/16/23 19:50, Paolo Amoroso wrote:
> I'm trying to set up Thunderbird for Eternal September too but,
> although it does list the public local groups, it still doesn't
> access the groups that require authentication.

Never mind, now Thunderbird correctly connects and authenticates to
Eternal September and I'm posting this from the program.

> Is this an outgoing SMTP server provided by Eternal September? I
> thought I had to use the server of my own email account. But,
> regardless of the server, I can't figure where to set up the password
> of the email account.

Looks like it isn't. I had to configure my own email server to reply by
email.

yeti

Dec 16, 2023, 2:58:03 PM12/16/23
Paolo Amoroso <in...@paoloamoroso.com> writes:

> Never mind, now Thunderbird correctly connects and authenticates to
> Eternal September and I'm posting this from the program.

\o/

dxf

Dec 16, 2023, 6:06:55 PM12/16/23
On 17/12/2023 6:58 am, yeti wrote:
> Paolo Amoroso <in...@paoloamoroso.com> writes:
>
>> Never mind, now Thunderbird correctly connects and authenticates to
>> Eternal September and I'm posting this from the program.
>
> \o/

I've noticed some issues with TB and E-S combination. If I take too long
composing a Followup then Send doesn't complete. Only workaround I found
is saving the reply, exiting TB and re-trying. Other problem is Followups
don't always show up in the thread. Workaround for that is doing a
'Folder repair' (which wipes custom display settings).

So a bit of a nuisance.

yeti

Dec 16, 2023, 9:36:22 PM12/16/23
dxf <dxf...@gmail.com> writes:

> I've noticed some issues with TB and E-S combination. If I take too long
> composing a Followup then Send doesn't complete. Only workaround I found
> is saving the reply, exiting TB and re-trying. Other problem is Followups
> don't always show up in the thread. Workaround for that is doing a
> 'Folder repair' (which wipes custom display settings).
>
> So a bit of a nuisance.

eternal-september.support may have answers?

I haven't used TB for years ... and in some places I'm known for my
occasionally appearing "GUI-blindness".

Paolo Amoroso

Dec 18, 2023, 12:54:53 PM12/18/23
On Sat, 16 Dec 2023 20:26:55 +0100
Paolo Amoroso <in...@paoloamoroso.com> wrote:

> Never mind, now Thunderbird correctly connects and authenticates to
> Eternal September and I'm posting this from the program.

It didn't last long. After crashing badly, Thunderbird no longer started
on my even after reinstalling the program. It was unusable, so I
looked for another GUI NNTP client for Linux and found Claws Mail:

https://www.claws-mail.org

So far it seems to be working well. Claws Mail is lightweight, stable,
fast, feature rich, and available in Debian.

David Schultz

Dec 18, 2023, 3:00:08 PM12/18/23
On 12/18/23 11:54 AM, Paolo Amoroso wrote:
> On Sat, 16 Dec 2023 20:26:55 +0100
> Paolo Amoroso <in...@paoloamoroso.com> wrote:
>
>> Never mind, now Thunderbird correctly connects and authenticates to
>> Eternal September and I'm posting this from the program.
>
> It didn't last long. After crashing badly, Thunderbird no longer started
> on my even after reinstalling the program. It was unusable, so I
> looked for another GUI NNTP client for Linux and found Claws Mail:

I don't know what your problem is but I have been using Thunderbird for
a long time now with no such problems.

I do have some degree of nostalgia for the old readers, rn, trn, xrn,
etc. but not enough to dig up a copy and switch back.

yeti

Dec 18, 2023, 3:03:49 PM12/18/23
Paolo Amoroso <in...@paoloamoroso.com> writes:

> It didn't last long. After crashing badly, Thunderbird no longer started
> on my even after reinstalling the program. It was unusable, so I
> looked for another GUI NNTP client for Linux and found Claws Mail:
>
> https://www.claws-mail.org
>
> So far it seems to be working well.

\o/

I cannot comment TM because I haven't touched it for years. Back then
it even refused to accept my local IMAP server as mail storage. Then I
decided it were a silly idea to climb down from the trees ... eeeeh to
test switching away from Evolution for mail. For news I'm not happy
with Evolution, so I use GNUS instead.

--
1. Hitchhiker 0: (5) Many were increasingly of the opinion that they'd
all made a big mistake in coming down from the trees in the first place.

dxf

Dec 18, 2023, 11:37:09 PM12/18/23
Claws was going to be my next try but recently TB has been behaving itself.
I don't like the so-called 'features' as it involves digging into Config
to undo - and even then some can't such as quoting. TB has grown into a
monster that I wonder whether the developers still have a handle on it.
As a user I've given up any such pretensions.

Paolo Amoroso

Dec 19, 2023, 8:45:28 AM12/19/23
On Tue, 19 Dec 2023 15:37:06 +1100
dxf <dxf...@gmail.com> wrote:

> to undo - and even then some can't such as quoting. TB has grown
> into a monster that I wonder whether the developers still have a
> handle on it.

I tried the Thunderbird version in Debian Bullseye. What's surprising
is how unstable it was even before the final, unrecoverable crash.

Sure, a non recent version may have issues. But by now Thunderbird
is probably mature enough to have all the major stability issues ironed
out.

Jack Strangio

Dec 20, 2023, 8:32:51 PM12/20/23
David Schultz <david....@earthlink.net> writes:

> I do have some degree of nostalgia for the old readers, rn, trn, xrn,
> etc. but not enough to dig up a copy and switch back.

After all these years, I still use 'Tass' the source code of which was
originally included in my copy of Coherent (Unix Version 7 clone) back in
the 1990s. It's curses-based.

The most recent version that I have seen in the wild is 3.6.4. I made some
amendments to that which I use as 3.7.2

Jack
--
I could tell you a joke about UDP.
But you might not get it.

Steven Hirsch

Dec 25, 2023, 11:14:36 AM12/25/23
On 12/18/23 23:37, dxf wrote:
> On 19/12/2023 4:54 am, Paolo Amoroso wrote:
>> On Sat, 16 Dec 2023 20:26:55 +0100
>> Paolo Amoroso <in...@paoloamoroso.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Never mind, now Thunderbird correctly connects and authenticates to
>>> Eternal September and I'm posting this from the program.
>>
>> It didn't last long. After crashing badly, Thunderbird no longer started
>> on my even after reinstalling the program. It was unusable, so I
>> looked for another GUI NNTP client for Linux and found Claws Mail:

I finally had to lock out updates to TB on Ubuntu. I have a hybrid
arrangement for mail where I fetch from a local IMAP and post using SMTP to
Gmail. A change made last spring totally broke me and the developers don't
want to hear about it. Was a complete PITA to locate a .deb package for the
previous version and get back in operation. I won't be trusting them again.

I've long believed that such ego-driven churn and breakage was the enemy of
Linux adoption by non-technical folks.

Steve Nickolas

Dec 26, 2023, 12:19:59 AM12/26/23
On Mon, 25 Dec 2023, Steven Hirsch wrote:

> I finally had to lock out updates to TB on Ubuntu. I have a hybrid
> arrangement for mail where I fetch from a local IMAP and post using SMTP to
> Gmail. A change made last spring totally broke me and the developers don't
> want to hear about it. Was a complete PITA to locate a .deb package for the
> previous version and get back in operation. I won't be trusting them again.
>
> I've long believed that such ego-driven churn and breakage was the enemy of
> Linux adoption by non-technical folks.

The Firefox people for similar reasons kept breaking Seamonkey and forcing
them to use a fork of an older version of Gecko, with the result that
Seamonkey is starting to become less and less able to handle the modern
web, while I have so many of my settings there and prefer the UI and UX
which has basically been the main way I've surfed the Web for literally
upward of a quarter of a century (it being the direct successor of
Netscape Navigator)...

-uso.

Nils M Holm

Jan 8, 2024, 5:20:39 AMJan 8
Jack Strangio <jackst...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> After all these years, I still use 'Tass' the source code of which was
> originally included in my copy of Coherent (Unix Version 7 clone) back in
> the 1990s. It's curses-based.

I have also used Tass on Coherent back in the days. Then moved to Tin (also
curses-based) and still using it.

For those looking for a Usenet provider, http://individual.net/ might be
another option. Not free, but at 10 EUR per year certainly affordable. I
am a satisfied customer myself since my UUCP feed shut down.

--
Nils M Holm < n m h @ t 3 x . o r g > http://t3x.org

llp

Jan 18, 2024, 6:29:24 PMJan 18
Nils M Holm a pensé très fort :

> For those looking for a Usenet provider, http://individual.net/ might be
> another option. Not free, but at 10 EUR per year certainly affordable. I
> am a satisfied customer myself since my UUCP feed shut down.

You have a list of free text usenet-server here:
https://sybershock.com/#usenet