Tesseract computer needs a new home

Jon Saxton

Jun 6, 2015, 6:33:06 PM6/6/15
70 km inland from Cairns, Queensland, Australia. I am in the process of
dying and if not collected in the next week or two the computer will be
discarded. To enquire send a message to tesseract at triton.vg

--
Former sysop of Tesseract RCPM+ which operated
in the 1980s from Dural, NSW, Australia.

glen herrmannsfeldt

Jun 6, 2015, 9:30:27 PM6/6/15
Jon Saxton <tess...@triton.vg> wrote:
> 70 km inland from Cairns, Queensland, Australia. I am in the process of
> dying and if not collected in the next week or two the computer will be
> discarded. To enquire send a message to tesseract at triton.vg

Has all the needed data been archived somewhere?

Does this computer have historical value?

If so, I might find someone to rescue it.

-- glen

Jon Saxton

Jun 7, 2015, 7:20:47 PM6/7/15
Needed data? All the software that was on the computer is archived. I
have made a few uodates since but not actually installed anything.
There is a third floppy driibe to install. Currently it has 2 130 mm
drives (a 40 and an 80 track) and the third is a 90 mm 80 track.

Historical value? Probably not much beyond it being one of the
relatively small number of Australian BBS systems in the eighties. It
made some contributions to the PD software pool.

Jack Strangio

Jun 8, 2015, 2:56:52 AM6/8/15
Jon Saxton <tess...@triton.vg> writes:
> 70 km inland from Cairns, Queensland, Australia. I am in the process of
> dying and if not collected in the next week or two the computer will be
> discarded. To enquire send a message to tesseract at triton.vg

Jon,

I'm currently in Melbourne nursing a broken leg but I should be back in
Cairns after the 21st June. What and how big is the equipment involved?

I could most likely piggyback the website on my itelsoft.com.au site.

Regards,

Jack

--
"I'm a home-loving girl. And that's where I wish I was."
"At home ..."

Jack Strangio

Jun 8, 2015, 3:02:05 AM6/8/15
Jack Strangio <jackst...@yahoo.com> writes:

> What and how big is the equipment involved?

Bad form to follow-up your own post. <grin>

I assume it's just the Colex 850. About 15-20 kilos then.

Jack.

Jon Saxton

Jun 12, 2015, 8:06:05 AM6/12/15
On 08/06/15 17:01, Jack Strangio wrote:
> Jack Strangio <jackst...@yahoo.com> writes:
>>
>> What and how big is the equipment involved?
>>
> Bad form to follow-up your own post. <grin>
>
> I assume it's just the Colex 850. About 15-20 kilos then.
>
> Jack.

Yes, that would be right. Plus some floppy drives, the 80-track 90 mm
mentioned and a couple of drives for a PC (because most PCs come without
them nowadays)

There are some hints in another thread here about how to reassign the
drive id on the data cable on the Colex. I'll find the thread and send
you an email.

I'm in hospital myself at the moment and I doubt I shall be leaving with
my eyes open. I have just a few days left, at most.

One of the more interesting features of the Colex is that I was able to
get it to read, write and format just about any FM or MFM format floppy.

I wrote the software for that and it all comes with the machine. It may
require a bit of explanation so I could put that in an archive and email
it to you in advance if you want.

Mr. Emmanuel Roche, France

Jun 12, 2015, 12:09:15 PM6/12/15
Hello, Jon!

> I'm in hospital myself at the moment and I doubt I shall be leaving with
> my eyes open. I have just a few days left, at most.

Courage!

Yours Sincerely,
Mr. Emmanuel Roche, France

Jack Strangio

Jun 14, 2015, 3:32:14 AM6/14/15
Jon Saxton <tess...@triton.vg> writes:
> I'm in hospital myself at the moment and I doubt I shall be leaving with
> my eyes open. I have just a few days left, at most.
>
> One of the more interesting features of the Colex is that I was able to
> get it to read, write and format just about any FM or MFM format floppy.
>
> I wrote the software for that and it all comes with the machine. It may
> require a bit of explanation so I could put that in an archive and email
> it to you in advance if you want.

That would be helpful to *me*, but I'd rather you spent that valuable time
with your own family and friends. Just a quick question, though. Are the
'missing disks' in Tesseract on that hard drive (somewhere)?

Warm regards,

Jack

Alan Laughton

Jun 14, 2015, 10:19:50 AM6/14/15
On 14/06/2015 5:31 PM, Jack Strangio wrote:
> Jon Saxton <tess...@triton.vg> writes:
>> I'm in hospital myself at the moment and I doubt I shall be leaving with
>> my eyes open. I have just a few days left, at most.
>>
>> One of the more interesting features of the Colex is that I was able to
>> get it to read, write and format just about any FM or MFM format floppy.
>>
>> I wrote the software for that and it all comes with the machine. It may
>> require a bit of explanation so I could put that in an archive and email
>> it to you in advance if you want.
>>
> That would be helpful to *me*, but I'd rather you spent that valuable time
> with your own family and friends. Just a quick question, though. Are the
> 'missing disks' in Tesseract on that hard drive (somewhere)?
>
> Warm regards,
>
> Jack

Some of the "missing" disks are actually on the Walnut Creek CP/M CDROM
in the BEEHIVE/TESERACT folder, thats disks #61 to #64 and #69 to #77.
Alan

Jack Strangio

Jun 15, 2015, 2:45:48 AM6/15/15
Alan Laughton <alanla...@live.com> writes:
> On 14/06/2015 5:31 PM, Jack Strangio wrote:
> > Are the
> > 'missing disks' in Tesseract on that hard drive (somewhere)?
> >
> Some of the "missing" disks are actually on the Walnut Creek CP/M CDROM
> in the BEEHIVE/TESERACT folder, thats disks #61 to #64 and #69 to #77.

So I kicked myself for not looking, because I have the Walnut Creek CP/M
CDROM copied on to my hard drive and immediately available, but no the
'missing disks' I was looking for are Tesseract Disks 65, 66, 67, 68 and 78
and they are *not* on that CDROM.

But thanks anyway, Alan

Alan Laughton

Jun 15, 2015, 3:37:10 AM6/15/15
On 15/06/2015 4:42 PM, Jack Strangio wrote:
> Alan Laughton <alanla...@live.com> writes:
>> On 14/06/2015 5:31 PM, Jack Strangio wrote:
>>> Are the
>>> 'missing disks' in Tesseract on that hard drive (somewhere)?
>>>
>> Some of the "missing" disks are actually on the Walnut Creek CP/M CDROM
>> in the BEEHIVE/TESERACT folder, thats disks #61 to #64 and #69 to #77.
>
> So I kicked myself for not looking, because I have the Walnut Creek CP/M
> CDROM copied on to my hard drive and immediately available, but no the
> 'missing disks' I was looking for are Tesseract Disks 65, 66, 67, 68 and 78
> and they are *not* on that CDROM.
>
> But thanks anyway, Alan
>
> Jack

No probs, but #27 is also missing :) #78 has been updated, not on the
CDROM but on Jon's site.
Alan