8086/8088 Coherent.

frasc

Jun 3, 2019, 3:00:23 PM6/3/19
Hi all,

I have been browsing through the Mark Williams Company sources, that have been open sourced by the copyright owner, Bob Swartz. Thanks Bob! :-)

The following directory caught my eye:
relic/d/kernel/USRSRC/i8086

They were comments in the like of:

* COHERENT Version 2.3.37
* 8086/8088 Coherent.
* IBM PC.

Is anyone aware of an early version 2.x and if so, is a binary version still existing somewhere ?

Or, is there a way to somehow rebuild it ? The top directory "relic" leads me to believe that, if at all possible, it'd take a huge effort to revive it. So before starting to dive deeper, I'm just asking the group if anyone knows about it.

Thanks all

--Frederic

Udo Munk

Jun 3, 2019, 4:43:35 PM6/3/19
On Monday, June 3, 2019 at 9:00:23 PM UTC+2, frasc wrote:

> The following directory caught my eye:
> relic/d/kernel/USRSRC/i8086
>
> They were comments in the like of:
>
> * COHERENT Version 2.3.37
> * 8086/8088 Coherent.
> * IBM PC.
>
> Is anyone aware of an early version 2.x and if so, is a binary version still existing somewhere ?

These are the 8086 kernel sources for release 2.x. The binary objects are in USRSYS. This is
kernel, driver and config stuff only, not a complete system and there are no distribution disks
for this version one could install a system from.

> Or, is there a way to somehow rebuild it ? The top directory "relic" leads me to believe that,
> if at all possible, it'd take a huge effort to revive it.

One could use a 286 system to rebuild the 8086 system from sources, would be some work though.

frasc

Jun 3, 2019, 8:00:59 PM6/3/19
It's probably not worth the effort to produce just a kernel without all of the supporting utils and other stuff, but that was intriguing.

Thanks Udo !!!

Udo Munk

Jun 4, 2019, 1:54:07 PM6/4/19
On Tuesday, June 4, 2019 at 2:00:59 AM UTC+2, frasc wrote:

> It's probably not worth the effort to produce just a kernel without all of the supporting
> utils and other stuff, but that was intriguing.

No, with a kernel alone one can't do much. The tools also won't be a problem, when MWC
started to work on 3.0 the latest sources from 2.x were checked into RCS to start from.
But one also needs matching header files, a matching libc, don't know if these can be
reproduced. Also don't know if the C compiler is suitable or if one needs to revert it to
an older version. Probably it is possible to build a working 8086 COHERENT system,
but it requires real work, and without trying one won't know how far one can get with
the released sources. So still intriguing :)