Coherent 4.2.10 on VirtualBox 5.2.8

Tyrone F. Horneigh

Apr 1, 2018, 1:15:54 AM4/1/18
I just downloaded the 2018-03-06 version of the VM and installed it in
VirtualBox. Runs fine under Windows. Unfortunately the OS X version
still has the very slow IDE controller. Takes about 7 minutes to get to
the login prompt on MacOS 10.13.3 High Sierra.

Anyways, other than that it seems fine. Of course on Windows it boots
in a few seconds. I used Coherent in the 80s and early 90s, still have
the disks and manuals. I seem to recall that the last version I had
was 4.2.05, but I would have to find my disks to be sure. I also
remember a "pardon our dust" message as it installed, as it did LOTS of
things during the install.

Thanks for all the work on this, with the ready to go VMs and all. I
know it must have been a LOT of work.

Udo Munk

Apr 9, 2018, 4:24:07 PM4/9/18
On Sunday, April 1, 2018 at 7:15:54 AM UTC+2, Tyrone F. Horneigh wrote:
> I just downloaded the 2018-03-06 version of the VM and installed it in
> VirtualBox. Runs fine under Windows. Unfortunately the OS X version
> still has the very slow IDE controller. Takes about 7 minutes to get to
> the login prompt on MacOS 10.13.3 High Sierra.

Yes, the OSX version still has some bugs somewhere in the IDE controller
related stuff, might need a bug report to get this fixed.
You can improve the boot time a bit by switching the VM to 386 emulation
instead of using the host's 64bit CPU, but that also slows down everything,
and you really feel this with any graphics related software.

> Anyways, other than that it seems fine. Of course on Windows it boots
> in a few seconds. I used Coherent in the 80s and early 90s, still have

Also boots very fast on Qemu, but this one has other issues. Best option
currently is PCem.

> the disks and manuals. I seem to recall that the last version I had
> was 4.2.05, but I would have to find my disks to be sure. I also

This is the release with the AT driver bug, that can cause corrupted
filesystems, don't use this release with AT/IDE controllers/drives.

> remember a "pardon our dust" message as it installed, as it did LOTS of
> things during the install.

:)

> Thanks for all the work on this, with the ready to go VMs and all. I
> know it must have been a LOT of work.

You're welcome. Yes this is quite some work, but I also want my old systems
back and the work necessary for this is little, compared to all the work done
at MWC, when COHERENT was still under development.

Udo

Udo Munk

Apr 26, 2018, 6:05:29 PM4/26/18
Updated VirtualBox to 5.2.10, on OSX still the same problem, won't get fixed without
bug report I guess.

Udo Munk

Jan 24, 2019, 4:35:43 PM1/24/19
I've upgraded Virtualbox to Version 6.0.2 on OSX. With this release they have
fixed the buggy IDE disk controller, no more watchdog timeouts. The system
boots very fast now on OSX too.