Updated COHERENT 4.2 VM's

Udo Munk

Nov 9, 2020, 9:45:34 AM11/9/20
I have updated the COHERENT 4.2 VM's and disk images available at

https://www.autometer.de/unix4fun/coherent/

On the 4.2.10 system more sources including the RCS history from the MWC archive were added,
which can be build and used on the system.

The program hmon (system monitor like top) was included in the 4.2.14 distribution,
but initially was developed on 4.2.10. So I searched through the old archives, found the
sources for it, and installed it on 4.2.10 as well. On this release it requires an additional
device driver to query the free available memory from the OS. In 4.2.14 we included
the functionality in the device driver with major device 0, so no additional driver needed
there.

I have build some more X11R5 software on 4.2.10 and 4.2.14 from the sources. The
sources were improved in one way or another, a clean build with xmkmf/make works.

I have improved the MWC ccp so that it now can handle the comment macro used in
the X11 imake templates.

#define XCOMM \#
XCOMM this is a comment

should expand to

# this is a comment

This did not work with MWC's cpp, escaping # was not possible, now it is, works the same
as with other UNIX cpp's. The new compiler bits are installed on the 4.2.10 and 4.2.14
systems, the compiler still can compile it self, as well as any other sources I tested with.
Still not possible to use MWC cpp for xmkmf, there are more issues though. Since this is
only a minor improvement in the cpp I have not raised the compiler version, still is 4.6.3.

Have fun with the boxes,
Udo