Udo's GNU

Wesley Kranitz

Apr 4, 2019, 4:34:08 PM4/4/19
Udo,

I have a question. The GNU stuff you posted, What version of Coherent was that compiled under??? I have 4.2.10 and every program that I brought over (I didn't bring them all) except perl crashes with segmentation, GP violation, and/or Page fault violations. I would really like to not have to recompile them all. They are in u1/gnu/bin.

Thanks,

Wes

Udo Munk

Apr 4, 2019, 11:59:51 PM4/4/19
These were compiled under 4.2 and work with any 4.2 release. If you download the latest
Virtualbox VM with 4.2 the complete /u1/gnu stuff already is included and works ok.
Probably the binary files were converted in some unexpected way, when you brought them
over.

Wesley Kranitz

Apr 5, 2019, 12:22:32 PM4/5/19
Interesting. I'm not using virtual box. I have a tower with a Pentium in it. The stuff in the gtx tree works fine. I will bring them over again and see what happens.

Thanks,

Wes

Udo Munk

Apr 5, 2019, 1:39:42 PM4/5/19
On Friday, April 5, 2019 at 6:22:32 PM UTC+2, Wesley Kranitz wrote:

> Interesting. I'm not using virtual box. I have a tower with a Pentium in it. The stuff
> in the gtx tree works fine. I will bring them over again and see what happens.

I did use 4.2 on Pentium and Pentium 2 systems as well as Socket 7 systems with
AMD CPU's. So I know that all the GNU binaries do work the same as on the
486 systems we used in 1992-95. Nowadays I use it on VM's only, works ok
with Virtualbox, PCem, Qemu with known problems. Maybe verify a checksum
to make sure the binaries are identical.