WANTED: Allowing two users to run one program together.

C.T.Nadovich

Mar 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/19/98

I'm looking for some sort of program that runs under BSD (actually,
NextStep) that would allow two users to connect their screens and
keyboards to a single instance of a program.

We have a program that uses has a text (curses) screen interface and we'd
like to be able to operate it from two different locations. The idea would
be you could interact with the user interface of this program from either
location. Both locations would see the same screen and keys pressed at
either location would do the same thing.

There is a program called "advise" that does exactly this on Solaris; is
there something equivalent for BSD?
--
Chris Nadovich +1 215 257 8708 (voice)
http://www.jtan.com/chris +1 215 257 8154 (fax)

Chris Evans

Mar 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/19/98

On Thu, 19 Mar 1998, C.T.Nadovich wrote:

> I'm looking for some sort of program that runs under BSD (actually,
> NextStep) that would allow two users to connect their screens and
> keyboards to a single instance of a program.

Sounds like you are after something called "kibitz".

Chris

Rob Kouwenberg

Mar 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/19/98

In comp.unix.bsd.misc Chris Evans <ch...@ferret.lmh.ox.ac.uk> wrote:

Yup, it's one of the expect examples ^^^^^^

--
[ robk@@NOSPAM.stack.nl ]
NOTE : remove @NOSPAM for proper emailing

Peter Doshi

Mar 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/19/98

C.T.Nadovich wrote:

> I'm looking for some sort of program that runs under BSD (actually,
> NextStep) that would allow two users to connect their screens and
> keyboards to a single instance of a program.

Although it wasn't designed solely for this purpose,
I strongly suggest you take a look at VNC:
http://www.orl.co.uk/vnc/

Peter

Alan Strassberg

Mar 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/26/98

In article <Eq31t...@news.jtan.com>, C.T.Nadovich <ch...@jtan.com> wrote:
>I'm looking for some sort of program that runs under BSD (actually,
>NextStep) that would allow two users to connect their screens and
>keyboards to a single instance of a program.

check out:

http://www.orl.co.uk/vnc/

Here's a clip from the Announce ...

ORL, the Olivetti & Oracle Research Laboratory, has made available the
first public release of the Virtual Network Computing (VNC) system.

VNC is, in essence, a remote display system which allows you to view a
computing 'desktop' environment not only on the machine where it is
running, but from anywhere on the Internet and from a wide variety of
machine architectures.

Many of us at ORL, for example, use a VNC viewer running on a Windows
PC on our desks to display our Unix environments which are running on
a large server in the machine room downstairs.

alan

--
al...@wj.com