URGENT. PLEASE HELP with SCSI-controller-buy-decision

1 view

Darius Moos

Oct 1, 1995, 3:00:00 AM10/1/95

PLEASE HELP. URGENT. PLEASE HELP. URGENT. PLEASE HELP. URGENT. PLEASE HELP

Hi folks,

I want to buy a new FAST-SCSI-2-PCI-controller in the next days and i'm not
sure which one to get. I'm running FreeBSD-1.1.5.1 and want to upgrade to 2.1
when it is released. I have an ADAPTEC-1542C and i never had problems with it,
so i thought of getting the ADAPTEC-2940, BUT in the last days there was a
discussion about SCSI-controller (ADAPTEC/BUSLOGIC/NCR) and now i really don't
know which one to get. The controller should be supported in the future (NCR
is leaving the PC-market), it should be supported by FreeBSD (read horror-
stories about developers (of FreeBSD) and ADAPTEC), should NOT have any
problems with specific harddisks (heard of problems BUSLOGIC has with some
harddisks) and should have good performance.
Now my question is:
- Which SCSI-controller would you recommend ?

Any help would be highly appreciated.

Please email to: mo...@fmi.uni-passau.de
----------------

Many thanks in advance for all your help,

bye, Darius.

J.C.Hi...@lut.ac.uk

Oct 1, 1995, 3:00:00 AM10/1/95
mo...@fmi.uni-passau.de (Darius Moos) writes:
>I want to buy a new FAST-SCSI-2-PCI-controller in the next days and i'm not
>sure which one to get. I'm running FreeBSD-1.1.5.1 and want to upgrade to 2.1
>when it is released. I have an ADAPTEC-1542C and i never had problems with it,
>so i thought of getting the ADAPTEC-2940, BUT in the last days there was a
>discussion about SCSI-controller (ADAPTEC/BUSLOGIC/NCR) and now i really don't
>know which one to get. The controller should be supported in the future (NCR
>is leaving the PC-market), it should be supported by FreeBSD (read horror-

Are you sure you don't mean AT&T is leaving the PC market? I'm sure the
controller line (and the chips etc.) were sold to Symbios (www.symbios.com).
Personally I like the price and performance of the NCR controllers.

>stories about developers (of FreeBSD) and ADAPTEC), should NOT have any
>problems with specific harddisks (heard of problems BUSLOGIC has with some
>harddisks) and should have good performance.

It sounds like you're looking for perfection, which is hard to find ;-)

Regards,
Julian.

Stefan Esser

Oct 2, 1995, 3:00:00 AM10/2/95
to Darius Moos
In article <44mlok$1...@news.rz.uni-passau.de>, mo...@fmi.uni-passau.de (Darius Moos) writes:

|> PLEASE HELP. URGENT. PLEASE HELP. URGENT. PLEASE HELP. URGENT. PLEASE HELP
|>
|> Hi folks,
|>
|> I want to buy a new FAST-SCSI-2-PCI-controller in the next days and i'm not
|> sure which one to get. I'm running FreeBSD-1.1.5.1 and want to upgrade to 2.1
|> when it is released. I have an ADAPTEC-1542C and i never had problems with it,
|> so i thought of getting the ADAPTEC-2940, BUT in the last days there was a
|> discussion about SCSI-controller (ADAPTEC/BUSLOGIC/NCR) and now i really don't
|> know which one to get. The controller should be supported in the future (NCR
|> is leaving the PC-market), it should be supported by FreeBSD (read horror-
|> stories about developers (of FreeBSD) and ADAPTEC), should NOT have any
|> problems with specific harddisks (heard of problems BUSLOGIC has with some
|> harddisks) and should have good performance.
|> Now my question is:
|> - Which SCSI-controller would you recommend ?

1) NCR may be leaving the PC market, but
their SCSI products will live on ...
The whole product line is supported by
Symbios now, and they just announced
new Fast-20 SCSI chips (Sym53c860 and
Sym53c875) and cards based on those ...

2) Adaptec doesn't provide device writers
with as much information as they used
to, but since FTP.CDROM.COM is now
running on 3 AH2940s, I guess they
should be considered well supported :)

3) The BusLogic BT946C offers less
performance than either the NCR or
the Adaptec.

If you can afford it, buy the Adaptec and
relax, because you bought a well supported
high quality product ...

Me ? Well, I'm a satisfied user of the NCR
(now Symbios) 53c810 ... :)

Gruss, STefan
--
Stefan Esser, Zentrum fuer Paralleles Rechnen Tel: +49 221 4706021
Universitaet zu Koeln, Weyertal 80, 50931 Koeln FAX: +49 221 4705160

Russell Carter

Oct 2, 1995, 3:00:00 AM10/2/95
In article <DFsGn...@lut.ac.uk>, <J.C.Hi...@lut.ac.uk> wrote:

>mo...@fmi.uni-passau.de (Darius Moos) writes:
>>I want to buy a new FAST-SCSI-2-PCI-controller in the next days and i'm not
>>sure which one to get. I'm running FreeBSD-1.1.5.1 and want to upgrade to 2.1
>>when it is released. I have an ADAPTEC-1542C and i never had problems with it,
>>so i thought of getting the ADAPTEC-2940, BUT in the last days there was a
>>discussion about SCSI-controller (ADAPTEC/BUSLOGIC/NCR) and now i really don't
>>know which one to get. The controller should be supported in the future (NCR
>>is leaving the PC-market), it should be supported by FreeBSD (read horror-
>
>Are you sure you don't mean AT&T is leaving the PC market? I'm sure the
>controller line (and the chips etc.) were sold to Symbios (www.symbios.com).
>Personally I like the price and performance of the NCR controllers.
>
>>stories about developers (of FreeBSD) and ADAPTEC), should NOT have any
>>problems with specific harddisks (heard of problems BUSLOGIC has with some
>>harddisks) and should have good performance.

Both the NCR and Adaptec work terrific on a wide variety of drives, though
the very newest drives can cause problems. See

http://www.geli.com/data/disk.perf.html

for a smallish list that these controllers work flawlessly on. Just
do not match a Quantum Grand Prix 4.3G with the NCR at least up to
FreeBSD-current.

Russell

Michael L. VanLoon

Oct 3, 1995, 3:00:00 AM10/3/95
In article <44pb1g$p...@news.rrz.uni-koeln.de> s...@MI.Uni-Koeln.DE (Stefan Esser) writes:

In article <44mlok$1...@news.rz.uni-passau.de>, mo...@fmi.uni-passau.de (Darius Moos) writes:

|> I want to buy a new FAST-SCSI-2-PCI-controller in the next days and i'm not
|> sure which one to get. I'm running FreeBSD-1.1.5.1 and want to upgrade to 2.1

2) Adaptec doesn't provide device writers

with as much information as they used
to, but since FTP.CDROM.COM is now
running on 3 AH2940s, I guess they
should be considered well supported :)

Until Adaptec changes the hardware and breaks all the drivers.

3) The BusLogic BT946C offers less
performance than either the NCR or
the Adaptec.

I haven't seen any benchmarks that prove the BusLogic significantly
slower than the others. It may be slower in some operations, but
probably not enough that you'd ever be able to tell just by watching
it run.

The BusLogics have the added benefit that they're probably always
going to be well supported because 1) there's a large installed base
of them, 2) the company is very open, 3) they're already well
documented, even if BusLogic went out of business next week.

If you can afford it, buy the Adaptec and
relax, because you bought a well supported
high quality product ...

DON'T buy Adaptec. The product is well made. The company sucks. And
they're free-unix hostile.

Buy the NCR or the BusLogic. I think either will give you good
results. Personally, if it were my money, it would be a BusLogic.

Of course this is all my opinion, but I think I have good,
well-researched reasons for believing what I believe.

Michael L. VanLoon mich...@HeadCandy.com
--< Free your mind and your machine -- NetBSD free un*x >--
NetBSD working ports: 386+PC, Mac 68k, Amiga, HP300, Sun3, Sun4,
DEC PMAX (MIPS), DEC Alpha, PC532
NetBSD ports in progress: VAX, Atari 68k, others...

Jon Jenkins

Oct 3, 1995, 3:00:00 AM10/3/95
s...@MI.Uni-Koeln.DE (Stefan Esser) wrote:
>In article <44mlok$1...@news.rz.uni-passau.de>, mo...@fmi.uni-passau.de (Darius Moos) writes:
..snip

>1) NCR may be leaving the PC market, but
> their SCSI products will live on ...
> The whole product line is supported by
> Symbios now, and they just announced
> new Fast-20 SCSI chips (Sym53c860 and
> Sym53c875) and cards based on those ...

..snip

>Me ? Well, I'm a satisfied user of the NCR
>(now Symbios) 53c810 ... :)
>
>Gruss, STefan

Second that, my early Pentium PCI and NCR5c825
have worked flawlessly with FreeBSD 2.0R
since Janurary. Few minor problems with DOS/Winodows
and CDROMs but they are also fixed. Symbios
has well organised and up to date ftp site
(ftp.symbios.com) with all the latest flash
and drivers. Thruput is reasonable at
3-5MB which is the limit of the disk anyway.

Jon
Name: Dr Jon Jenkins Location: Digital Equipment Corporation NaC
Voice/Fax: 61-7-55-75-0151/100 Burnett Place, Research Park,
Inet: jenk...@ozy.dec.com Bond University, Gold Coast
Close Proximity: "HEY YOU !!!" QLD, AUSTRALIA 4229
"Daddy, what's outside the Universe?" (My 5 year old.....)

Eric van Bezooijen

Oct 3, 1995, 3:00:00 AM10/3/95
Russell Carter (rca...@best.com) wrote:
: In article <DFsGn...@lut.ac.uk>, <J.C.Hi...@lut.ac.uk> wrote:
: >mo...@fmi.uni-passau.de (Darius Moos) writes:

: >>I want to buy a new FAST-SCSI-2-PCI-controller in the next days and i'm not

[ lossy compression ]

: for a smallish list that these controllers work flawlessly on. Just

: do not match a Quantum Grand Prix 4.3G with the NCR at least up to
: FreeBSD-current.

Ak! This is exactly what happened to me! Avoid this at *all* costs if you want
to retain your sanity!

-Eric (now insane)

--
http://www.csua.berkeley.edu/~eric/ EL!TE YOONICKS(TM) Solaris & FreeBSD user
Eric van Bezooijen | "Faboo!"- Wakko Warner, Animaniacs #Warlord *THIS*