hardware configuration for FreeBSD

Didier Derny

May 28, 1995, 3:00:00 AM5/28/95
Hi

I plan to install a large FreeBSD system with 256 users.

Is there any hardware compatibilty list for FreeBSD.

What are the Best SCSI Controllers ?
SCSI Hard disks ?
Network Boards ?
X25 Boards ?
ISDN Boards ?
Mother Boards ?
Processors ?

By Best I mean: not to expensive, widely available, and that have the best
support in FreeBSD.

Thanks for you Help.

Didier Derny
did...@aida.remcomp.fr

Brian Tao

May 31, 1995, 3:00:00 AM5/31/95
The below aren't necessarily the "best", but I've found them to be
reliable and good performers here (plus I wanted to get this message
into the comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc group).

In article <1995052808...@aida.remcomp.fr>, Didier Derny <did...@aida.remcomp.fr> wrote:

>What are the Best SCSI Controllers ?

NCR 53c810-based controllers, built into some ASUS motherboards.

> SCSI Hard disks ?

I'm running Quantum Empire 1080S disks on three of the four
machines. One machine has a Quantum Lightning 540S. If you want
bigger, go for a Seagate Barracuda 4GB drive.

> Network Boards ?
> X25 Boards ?
> ISDN Boards ?
> Mother Boards ?

ASUS PCI/I-486SP3G motherboard. Integral SCSI, parallel port and
two 16550'd serial ports.

> Processors ?

There is apparently a conflict between some stepping 0 Intel
486DX4/100 CPU's and NCR controllers, but it has not been confirmed
yet. I run both components in two of the machines here without any
problems, but YMMV.
ta...@gate.sinica.edu.tw <-- work ........ play --> ta...@io.org