Challenge for the BIG know-hows { HELP!! }

0 views
Skip to first unread message

Peter_Leftwich

unread,
May 31, 1995, 3:00:00 AM5/31/95
to

Okay, apparently my QUESTION is going to be LUMPED in among others...

* I, a formerly strict MAC-guru, am joining the ranks of IBM-lovers.
* Recently, I installed both a 14.4k V.42 modem (obviously working) PLUS
also a 144k [1.4M] DS/HD A: Disk Drive (*not* functional). The story?
----------------------------------------------
6144KB OK
162- System Operations Not Set - (Run Setup)
Insert DIAGNOSTIC diskette in Drive A:
(RESUME = 'F1' KEY) ==> Help, Someone!
----------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
.Sig-Free-n-Roy $=- Peter 'SweetPete' Leftwich -=$ DISC Ch. beats all!
GO PEEK AT %%% http://www.cloud9.net/~swtpete %%% SENT: 053195.0043.Wed
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Robert Jan Scheer

unread,
May 31, 1995, 3:00:00 AM5/31/95
to
Peter_Leftwich (swt...@cloud9.net) wrote:

: Okay, apparently my QUESTION is going to be LUMPED in among others...

: * I, a formerly strict MAC-guru, am joining the ranks of IBM-lovers.
: * Recently, I installed both a 14.4k V.42 modem (obviously working) PLUS
: also a 144k [1.4M] DS/HD A: Disk Drive (*not* functional). The story?
: ----------------------------------------------
: 6144KB OK
: 162- System Operations Not Set - (Run Setup)
: Insert DIAGNOSTIC diskette in Drive A:
: (RESUME = 'F1' KEY) ==> Help, Someone!
: ----------------------------------------------

Try to run the Setup, by pressing Del after the 6144KB OK
or maybe Ctrl-Alt-Esc, and change the bootup sequence from
"A: C:" to "C:" or "C: A:"
Your system will then boot directly from C: (of course only
if it's bootable) and then you can use progs like Norton or
PCTools to get your floppy drive working. Maybe you need some
BIOS setup program.
Hope this helps....

Rj.

--


/\
/ \\
/ \ \
/ \ \
/ ...and \ \
/ \ \
/ everything \ \
/ \ \
/ human's \ \
/ \ \ _ _
/ nessecarily wrong. \ \ ( \ //\_
/ \ \ )\\__/_\
/ \ \ /\ / \\
/ Swans \ / /(\\_ \\
/ \ / (_/ ( \ \ \\
/ \ ( )\_\ \)
/ \ / ( )
/ \ ( )
/ \ / ( )
/ \ (_)
/________________________________________\/


Bill Stewart

unread,
May 31, 1995, 3:00:00 AM5/31/95
to
On 31 May 1995, Peter_Leftwich wrote:

> * I, a formerly strict MAC-guru, am joining the ranks of IBM-lovers.
> * Recently, I installed both a 14.4k V.42 modem (obviously working) PLUS
> also a 144k [1.4M] DS/HD A: Disk Drive (*not* functional). The story?
> ----------------------------------------------
> 6144KB OK
> 162- System Operations Not Set - (Run Setup)
> Insert DIAGNOSTIC diskette in Drive A:
> (RESUME = 'F1' KEY) ==> Help, Someone!
> ----------------------------------------------

You're in trouble if your A: drive isn't working, because then you can't
put in the diagnostic disk to boot from it. Sounds like you need to get
a new floppy drive (or get your existing one fixed).

Anyways, after you do that, you need to use the diagnostic disk the
message is talking about, boot from it, and tell the BIOS setup program
about your machine. After that, you should be all right...

- Bill (wste...@unm.edu)

dtulloh

unread,
May 31, 1995, 3:00:00 AM5/31/95
to
Bill Stewart (wste...@unm.edu) wrote:

: On 31 May 1995, Peter_Leftwich wrote:

: > * I, a formerly strict MAC-guru, am joining the ranks of IBM-lovers.
: > * Recently, I installed both a 14.4k V.42 modem (obviously working) PLUS
: > also a 144k [1.4M] DS/HD A: Disk Drive (*not* functional). The story?
: > ----------------------------------------------
: > 6144KB OK
: > 162- System Operations Not Set - (Run Setup)
: > Insert DIAGNOSTIC diskette in Drive A:
: > (RESUME = 'F1' KEY) ==> Help, Someone!
: > ----------------------------------------------

Sounds to me like you just need to go into your CMOS and tell
your system to expect a 3.5 drive in the A: drive. You can
do this by getting into the "SETUP" area after your system
boots up.

Dan

Bill Goveia

unread,
May 31, 1995, 3:00:00 AM5/31/95
to
In article <D9Fp6L....@cs.vu.nl>, rjsc...@cs.vu.nl says...

>
>Peter_Leftwich (swt...@cloud9.net) wrote:
>: also a 144k [1.4M] DS/HD A: Disk Drive (*not* functional). The story?
>
>Try to run the Setup, by pressing Del after the 6144KB OK
>or maybe Ctrl-Alt-Esc, and change the bootup sequence from
>"A: C:" to "C:" or "C: A:"
>Your system will then boot directly from C: (of course only
>if it's bootable) and then you can use progs like Norton or
>PCTools to get your floppy drive working. Maybe you need some
>BIOS setup program.
>Hope this helps....
>

That assumes of course, that the drive has been defined in CMOS. For older AMI BIOS, try pressing <del> during boot. for
newer AMI BIOS, try pressing escape. For Award and Pheonix BIOS, try CTRL ALT ESC or CTRL ALT S.

There will be something in the BIOS/CMOS setup referring to Floppy Disk 0 or Floppy Disk A:. Navigate to that feild, and
select 1.44 3.5" (usually done by pressing Page Down or Tab.

Norton and PCTools won't do anything if the drive hasn't been defined in CMOS.

Hope that helps...

--
Bill Goveia


Tony

unread,
Jun 1, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/1/95
to
no, no, no...
y're *not* telling us the whole story!
y're running a compaq, insert compaq's diagnostcs diskette,run compaq's
setup, make the mods, and save
if it does not work, you need a new cmos battery
if it does not work, your cmos is busted
disregard all other advice :)
now, that's a guru !


Karen A Strom

unread,
Jun 6, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/6/95
to
In article <D9I4...@caprica.com>, Tony <tper...@caprica.com> wrote:

>no, no, no...
>y're *not* telling us the whole story!
>y're running a compaq, insert compaq's diagnostcs diskette,run compaq's
>setup, make the mods, and save

Actually, it could be an IBM PS/2 or the like.

>if it does not work, you need a new cmos battery
>if it does not work, your cmos is busted

It could be:
1) The A: drive is wired wrong,
2) The A: drive is broke,
3) The floppy controller is not compatible with a 1.44 3.5" drive (if old),
etc.

>disregard all other advice :)
>now, that's a guru !

If the original poster still needs help, feel free to e-mail me.

BTW, shouldn't all this be elsewhere? In the hardware groups somewhere?

Karen

Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages