cross platform rdist

Daniel B. Holzman

Dec 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/22/99
I'm trying to centralize management of some files through rdist over
SSH. Unfortunately, my environment contains SCO, SunOS for x86, FreeBSD,
and Linux, to name a few.

My rdist source machine is Linux, and my FreeBSD, SunOS, and SCO machines
fail with the error "rdistd: not found." Searching for rdistd on some of
these machines show it missing altogether(!).

Has anyone had luck with rdist across platforms?

Thanks.

Charles Blackburn

Dec 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/23/99
On 22 Dec 1999 21:35:28 GMT, Daniel B. Holzman blurted:
<cut>

>Has anyone had luck with rdist across platforms?
try using samba and keeping the file(s) on the linux box,
then all machines can use the same file at the same time,
Remember though to check file locking etc.

also, try looking at CVS, but I think on SCO, CVS comes with the dev kit
and not with the standard box :(.

--
Charles Blackburn -=- Remove NOSPAM to email a reply.
Summerfield Technology Limited - SuSE Linux Reseller & Birmingham L.U.G sponsor

Tony Earnshaw

Dec 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/23/99
"Daniel B. Holzman" wrote:

> I'm trying to centralize management of some files through rdist over
> SSH. Unfortunately, my environment contains SCO, SunOS for x86, FreeBSD,
> and Linux, to name a few.

You don't say what kind of 'SCO'. There have been many, through the
years.

> My rdist source machine is Linux, and my FreeBSD, SunOS, and SCO machines
> fail with the error "rdistd: not found." Searching for rdistd on some of
> these machines show it missing altogether(!).

> Has anyone had luck with rdist across platforms?

Never tried it, but I had noticed that SCO had supplied a replacement
binary in oss449e for 5.0.0/5.0.2, so I did 'man rdist' on a 5.0.5
machine and it told me how to start up rdist as a daemon. A lot of other
interesting things, too.

Tony

--
************* THE NEW DIMENSION IN DISTRIBUTION ***********