Please help with upgrade-questions to FBSD-2.1

Darius Moos

Oct 1, 1995, 3:00:00 AM10/1/95

URGENT. PLEASE HELP. URGENT. PLEASE HELP. URGENT. PLEASE HELP. URGENT.

Hi folks,

first i want to thank the developers of FreeBSD for all their really good work
on FreeBSD. I'm running FreeBSD-1.1.5.1 now for a long time and never had
problems with it (except some little; maybe not worth to mention: starting
two processes writing to the same directory on a mounted dos-partition
results in crosslinked files or directories. Will this be fixed in FBSD-2.1 ?)

I want to upgrade to FreeBSD-2.1 when it is released and i have some questions
about it's capabilities:
-Does FreeBSD support PCI ?
-Does FreeBSD support Plug&Play ?
-Does FreeBSD support SCSI-harddisks of sizes greater 1 GB ?
-Does FreeBSD support partition-mounting of Win95 partitions with the
extended attributes ?
-Does FreeBSD support ZIP-drives and which device is to be used with
this drives ?

Any help would be highly appreciated.

Please email to: mo...@fmi.uni-passau.de
----------------

Many thanks in advance for all your help,

bye, Darius.

Stefan Esser

Oct 2, 1995, 3:00:00 AM10/2/95
to Darius Moos
In article <44mlvi$1...@news.rz.uni-passau.de>, mo...@fmi.uni-passau.de (Darius Moos) writes:

|> URGENT. PLEASE HELP. URGENT. PLEASE HELP. URGENT. PLEASE HELP. URGENT.
|>
|> Hi folks,
|>
|> first i want to thank the developers of FreeBSD for all their really good work
|> on FreeBSD. I'm running FreeBSD-1.1.5.1 now for a long time and never had
|> problems with it (except some little; maybe not worth to mention: starting
|> two processes writing to the same directory on a mounted dos-partition
|> results in crosslinked files or directories. Will this be fixed in FBSD-2.1 ?)
|>
|> I want to upgrade to FreeBSD-2.1 when it is released and i have some questions
|> about it's capabilities:
|> -Does FreeBSD support PCI ?

Yes, since June of '94 ...

|> -Does FreeBSD support Plug&Play ?

Well, why do you want one of those ISA plug'n'play cards,
if they are no cheaper than the same functionality on a
PCI card ???

|> -Does FreeBSD support SCSI-harddisks of sizes greater 1 GB ?

Yes, sure.

|> -Does FreeBSD support partition-mounting of Win95 partitions with the
|> extended attributes ?

No.

|> -Does FreeBSD support ZIP-drives and which device is to be used with
|> this drives ?

ZIP drives should be supported as harddisk devices.
Just be sure to unmount them before changing disks
(or do the drives offer a media lock feature ?)

Gruss, STefan
--
Stefan Esser, Zentrum fuer Paralleles Rechnen Tel: +49 221 4706021
Universitaet zu Koeln, Weyertal 80, 50931 Koeln FAX: +49 221 4705160

Wilko Bulte

Oct 2, 1995, 3:00:00 AM10/2/95
mo...@fmi.uni-passau.de (Darius Moos) writes:

>I want to upgrade to FreeBSD-2.1 when it is released and i have some questions
>about it's capabilities:
> -Does FreeBSD support PCI ?

Yep.

> -Does FreeBSD support Plug&Play ?

Don't think so

> -Does FreeBSD support SCSI-harddisks of sizes greater 1 GB ?

Oh yes.

> -Does FreeBSD support partition-mounting of Win95 partitions with the
> extended attributes ?

Yuck. Probably not.

> -Does FreeBSD support ZIP-drives and which device is to be used with
> this drives ?

Lots of talk about ZIP drives in the mailing lists. Whether it works ???

Wilko

Ollivier Robert

Oct 4, 1995, 3:00:00 AM10/4/95
In article <DFu5M...@yedi.iaf.nl>, Wilko Bulte <wi...@yedi.iaf.nl> wrote:
> > -Does FreeBSD support ZIP-drives and which device is to be used with
> > this drives ?
>
> Lots of talk about ZIP drives in the mailing lists. Whether it works ???
>
> Wilko

Last time I heard of ZIP drives, they do work.
--
Ollivier ROBERT -=-=- FreeBSD 2.x FAQ maintainer -=-=- rob...@freebsd.org
-=-=-=-=-=- Support The Free UNIX Systems ! FreeBSD Linux NetBSD -=-=-=-=-=-