Easter Egg Hunt

Michi Henning

Apr 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/1/99

Seeing that Easter is almost upon us, it seems appropriate to announce our
Easter egg hunt.

Advanced CORBA Programming With C++ contains two Easter eggs,
personally planted by Michi and Steve :-)

The challenge is to find the two Easter eggs by 21 April 1999, midnight GMT.
We won't give any hints or tell you any more about them (otherwise, it
wouldn't be a proper Easter egg hunt :-) Plain and simple, there are
two Easter eggs in the book and you are supposed to find them. If you are
not sure what they might look like, don't worry. If you find them, you will
recognize them :-) To make the hunt worth your while, Addison-Wesley have
gratiously donated three book vouchers, one for $150 and two for $100.

To win, you simply have to be one of the people who find the Easter eggs
and tell us about them. The first person to find the eggs will win the
first prize book voucher for $150. The other two, for $100 each, will be
drawn from all correct entries that arrive before 21 April 1990, midnight
GMT. As a consolation to the non-winners, we will publish the names of all
people who found the eggs, together with the solution, on the web. (Of
course, if you prefer to remain anonymous, just let us know, and we won't
publish your name.)

And, if you send a submission, we promise that your e-mail will not be used
to spam you later!

How to Submit Your Easter Eggs

If you think you have found the eggs, send an e-mail with the eggs to
co...@awl.com. Your e-mail must arrive before 21 April 1990, midnight
Greenwich Mean Time, to make it into the draw.

Michi and Steve will personally draw the winners, using a remote random
number generator on Mars, accessed via an IDL interface that is implemented
using the PERSISTENT POA policy and located via a trader. (Just kidding...
a pair of dice will do :-)

Michi and Steve are the judges, jury, and executors of the contest. All
decisions by Michi and Steve are binding, no correspondence will be entered
into, and this contest is not approved by any authority anywhere ;-)

Happy Easter, and happy hunting!

Michi and Steve

PS: You can also find the contest at

http://www.triodia.com/staff/michi/advanced_corba/easter.html

--
Michi Henning +61 7 3236 1633
Triodia Technologies +61 4 1118 2700 (mobile)

Marc Fleischeuers

Apr 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/1/99
Michi Henning <mi...@triodia.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> Seeing that Easter is almost upon us, it seems appropriate to announce our
> Easter egg hunt.
>
> Advanced CORBA Programming With C++ contains two Easter eggs,
> personally planted by Michi and Steve :-)

I may have found an easter egg in your post:

> How to Submit Your Easter Eggs
>
> If you think you have found the eggs, send an e-mail with the eggs to
> co...@awl.com. Your e-mail must arrive before 21 April 1990, midnight

^^^^

> Greenwich Mean Time, to make it into the draw.

Nice touch, to qualify its time zone to make it less noticeable!

Marc

Michi Henning

Apr 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/1/99
On 1 Apr 1999, Marc Fleischeuers wrote:

> I may have found an easter egg in your post:

Yep, but it won't qualify ;-)

> > How to Submit Your Easter Eggs
> >
> > If you think you have found the eggs, send an e-mail with the eggs to
> > co...@awl.com. Your e-mail must arrive before 21 April 1990, midnight
> ^^^^
> > Greenwich Mean Time, to make it into the draw.
>
> Nice touch, to qualify its time zone to make it less noticeable!

No not a nice touch, just a typo. I noticed this after I posted it --
I got the date right once, and wrong twice. But hey, who cares... After
all, we are only talking about 1990 here, not 2000 ;-)

I've corrected the typo on the web page. Of course, the corret cut-off
time is midnight GMT on 21 April 1999.

Cheers,

Michi.
Copyright 1999 Michi Henning. All rights reserved.

Albert Ratzlaff

Apr 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/1/99
Michi Henning wrote:

> I've corrected the typo on the web page. Of course, the corret cut-off
> time is midnight GMT on 21 April 1999.

Would that be "correct"?
:-)

Regards
Albert Ratzlaff

Michi Henning

Apr 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/2/99
On Thu, 1 Apr 1999, Albert Ratzlaff wrote:

> Michi Henning wrote:
>
> > I've corrected the typo on the web page. Of course, the corret cut-off
> > time is midnight GMT on 21 April 1999.
>
> Would that be "correct"?
> :-)

Yes :-) Hey, let's start a spelling flame war, we've never had one
in comp.object.corba :-)

Actually, I'm using one of these atrocious Microsoft so-called "ergonomic"
keyboards. Got to be one of the worst keyboards I've ever used. If you
don't strike the keys at exactly the right angle, the keys stick on
the sides and don't make contact. And, of course, who cares about
how people are taught to touch-type -- it's much more important
to put the number "6" key in a place on the keyboard where it doesn't
spoil the visual effect, instead of where it really belongs. All the
world's touch typists can bloody well go and reeducate themselves
in order to conform to MS's sense of aesthetics...

So, the posts with typos in them are written at home. The ones without
I write in the office, where I have a decent keyboard :-)

Thaddeus L. Olczyk

Apr 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/2/99
On Fri, 2 Apr 1999 07:10:08 +1000, Michi Henning <mi...@triodia.com>
wrote:

>Actually, I'm using one of these atrocious Microsoft so-called "ergonomic"
>keyboards. Got to be one of the worst keyboards I've ever used. If you
>don't strike the keys at exactly the right angle, the keys stick on
>the sides and don't make contact. And, of course, who cares about
>how people are taught to touch-type -- it's much more important
>to put the number "6" key in a place on the keyboard where it doesn't
>spoil the visual effect, instead of where it really belongs. All the
>world's touch typists can bloody well go and reeducate themselves
>in order to conform to MS's sense of aesthetics...

Strange, I have one, but I really love it. It's black and I don't see
any of those around anymore. Don't know what i'll do when it's dead.
Besides, Microshit didn't invent it, Apple did. Some of the early ones
came split into several pieces so you could place them. Put one as
far left and far right as you can, looks like your playing the lowest
and highest octaves on a piano.

You're right about the 6, I never noticed it before, I guess because
because I only touch type words, not numbers :+

>So, the posts with typos in them are written at home. The ones without
>I write in the office, where I have a decent keyboard :-)

If it's at hoime why don't you just buy another keyboard?

PS.
What's Easter Egg mean in this context ( after all i need something to
do to prevent my doing my taxes).

Michi Henning

Apr 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/2/99
On Fri, 2 Apr 1999, Thaddeus L. Olczyk wrote:

> On Fri, 2 Apr 1999 07:10:08 +1000, Michi Henning <mi...@triodia.com>
> wrote:
>
> >Actually, I'm using one of these atrocious Microsoft so-called "ergonomic"
> >keyboards. Got to be one of the worst keyboards I've ever used. If you
> >don't strike the keys at exactly the right angle, the keys stick on
> >the sides and don't make contact. And, of course, who cares about
> >how people are taught to touch-type -- it's much more important
> >to put the number "6" key in a place on the keyboard where it doesn't
> >spoil the visual effect, instead of where it really belongs. All the
> >world's touch typists can bloody well go and reeducate themselves
> >in order to conform to MS's sense of aesthetics...
> >
> Strange, I have one, but I really love it. It's black and I don't see
> any of those around anymore. Don't know what i'll do when it's dead.
> Besides, Microshit didn't invent it, Apple did. Some of the early ones
> came split into several pieces so you could place them. Put one as
> far left and far right as you can, looks like your playing the lowest
> and highest octaves on a piano.

Well, I guess it's a matter of taste. I could live with the shape, but
not with the shoddy key mechanics.

> >So, the posts with typos in them are written at home. The ones without
> >I write in the office, where I have a decent keyboard :-)
> >

> If it's at hoime why don't you just buy another keyboard?

Guess what I'll be doing next Tuesday? ;-)

> What's Easter Egg mean in this context ( after all i need something to
> do to prevent my doing my taxes).

Means "Easter Egg". First word starts with an "E". Second word starts with
an "E" too :-)

Actually, before anyone tries to twist some non-existent meaning to those
words, they aren't a hint (just a bad joke :-)

So, what does Easter Egg mean then in this context? It means something that
is hidden and that you are supposed to find. So there! :-)

Robert Sjodin

Apr 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/6/99

Ok, is this for real or is it April Fools??? ...the original message was posted
on April 1st.

Steve Vinoski

Apr 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/8/99
Robert Sjodin wrote:

> Ok, is this for real or is it April Fools??? ...the original message was posted
> on April 1st.

It's definitely for real. For the record, nobody has even come close yet to finding
the hidden "Easter eggs." See
<http://www.triodia.com/staff/michi/advanced_corba/easter.html> for details.

--steve

Michi Henning

Apr 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/12/99
On Thu, 8 Apr 1999, Steve Vinoski wrote:

> It's definitely for real. For the record, nobody has even come close yet to finding
> the hidden "Easter eggs." See
> <http://www.triodia.com/staff/michi/advanced_corba/easter.html> for details.

Well, to our great disappointment, no-one has found the the eggs yet
(although, we got plenty of creative guesses :-)

Come on folks, don't you want to win a nice book voucher? Where is
the proper exploratory spirit? ;-)

So, seeing that we have a miss rate of 100% so far, Steve and I decided
to publish a hint. Here we go:

One egg is in chapter 3, the other one is in chapter 7.

That should make it easier... :-)