Wireless Network help

1 view

C.

Mar 14, 2005, 6:12:28 AM3/14/05
I have recently established a home network. At present there are
only 2 computers with access; my desktop and a laptop, both running
Windows XP Home Edition.

I am using a LinkSys WRT54G wireless router behind a cable modem and
have a LinkSys wireless adapter installed in the laptop.

The desktop is hardwire-connected to the router using an ethernet
patch cord. The laptop connects using the wireless adapter.

Installation of both LinkSys devices went smoothly using the setup
disks provided.

I can connect and surf the Internet with either machine.

I have file and printer sharing enabled on both machines.

From either machine, I can access the shared folders and successfully
perform all normal file operations, UNTIL I try to create or copy a
large file (> 10 Meg or so) across the wireless interface.

When I try to do this, the operation starts normally and I can see
that data is being transferred across the wireless interface by
observing the lights in the wireless connection icon in the system
tray. In just a few seconds, data transmittal stops (the icon lights
go out) and a few seconds later I get the error message: "The
specified network name is no longer available".

However, I have found that when I hard-wire connect the Laptop to one
of the 4 ports on the back of the router instead of using the
wireless interface, the creation and/or copying of the large files is
accomplished without incident.

LinkSys support has been absolutely zero help resolving the problem!

If anyone here has encountered this problem and is aware of a fix;
that information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
C.

ray.in.ga

Mar 15, 2005, 9:00:13 AM3/15/05
Have you updated the LInksys box to the latest firmware?

Snowboard3r

Mar 15, 2005, 1:59:34 PM3/15/05
How is your connection when you attempt the transfer? I have pretty much
the same setup, and I have no problems at all transfering big files across.
I have noticed when I am on the other end of my house, when my connection is
on "Low" I tend to drop the network more often. That is the only thing I
can think of is that you are dropping your connection. Could be some
interference.
I agree with the other post, upgrade your firmware, I am on the latest with
mine.

Shane

"C." <du...@dummy.net> wrote in message

C.

Mar 15, 2005, 3:39:12 PM3/15/05
"Snowboard3r" <Snowb...@Hotmail.com> wrote in

> How is your connection when you attempt the transfer? I have
pretty
> much the same setup, and I have no problems at all transfering big
> files across. I have noticed when I am on the other end of my
house,
> when my connection is on "Low" I tend to drop the network more
often.
> That is the only thing I can think of is that you are dropping your
> connection. Could be some interference.
> I agree with the other post, upgrade your firmware, I am on the
latest
> with mine.
>
> Shane

Thanks for the suggestions!

The LinkSys box has the latest firmware update; first thing I did
after
setup!

Signal strength shows to be mximum (their term is "excellent" as I
recall). During the testing I've done, the laptop was located within
10'of the router.

C.

backpacker

Mar 16, 2005, 12:00:16 PM3/16/05
I'm not sure how much this will help, but if you
can capture a packet trace (using a tool like
etheral), it might give you some idea of what
happened. Sounds like a firmware issue to me,
though there just may be something else going
on.

Cheers,

birthb

Mar 24, 2005, 9:27:47 PM3/24/05

C. , I have essentially the identical hardware and architecture that
you've described, and have exactly the same symptoms and problem.

Only differences are that I'm more than 20 feet away up two stories and
routinely connect with "low" signal strength. However, I have
downloaded large files from the internet, and only really experience
the problem when copying large files from a file share on the hardwired
computer to the wireless laptop.

I've scanned the internet, and there are MANY posts with this (or very
similar) symptoms, and I have yet to find a resolution. Have you ever
corrected your problem?

I happened upon your post via google search, so please reply to me
through e-mail if you have a solution. (bir...@adelphia.net). Thanks.

--
birthb