Re: Cable Question

Nocturnal

Mar 22, 2005, 1:28:22 PM3/22/05
Well there are like USB NIC cards. Where one end is cat5 plugged into your
NIC the other end is a I believe USB female port then you can plug a male
USB cord from the modem into that female USB port and it acts as though it's
a cat5 cable.
"Clayton Harryman" <clayha...@houston.rr.com> wrote in message
> Is it possible to make a cable that is USB on one end and Cat-5 on the
> other? Can you crimp an RJ45 terminator on a USB cable and make it
> talk? I'm dreaming about a cable that will plug directly into the USB
> port on the computer and into a 10/100MB hub on the other. Perhaps
> this is purely a pipe dream, but...
>
> Thanks,
> Clay Harryman

Clayton Harryman

Mar 22, 2005, 12:46:54 PM3/22/05

Bill Krahmer

Mar 23, 2005, 1:29:50 PM3/23/05
Hello Clay,

You cannot just splice the wires together, that will for sur enot work
and perhaps damage your equipment.

They do make USB network adapters, though. There are some listed on
this site:
http://www.usbgear.com/USB-Network-Adapters.html

Kind Regards,
Bill Krahmer

Internet/network service monitoring software - "First Alert Service
Monitor". Free trial. http://www.electrasoft.com/fasm.htm

On 22 Mar 2005 09:46:54 -0800, clayha...@houston.rr.com (Clayton