Music to score converters?

1 view

dave_...@hotmail.com

Feb 9, 2006, 2:24:00 PM2/9/06

Could anyone tell whether there are programs available that would
convert music (instrument + voice) into the corresponding scores? I
understand that this would be a fairly complex operation, so such
programs may well not exist...

(Just looked at http://www.faqs.org/faqs/music/netjam-faq, but could
find no answer there.)

-- dave

Laurence Payne

Feb 14, 2006, 6:25:25 AM2/14/06
On Thu, 9 Feb 2006 19:24:00 GMT, dave_...@hotmail.com wrote:

>Could anyone tell whether there are programs available that would
>convert music (instrument + voice) into the corresponding scores? I
>understand that this would be a fairly complex operation, so such
>programs may well not exist...

Quick answer:
No.

Herman Viaene

Feb 14, 2006, 6:25:47 AM2/14/06
dave_...@hotmail.com wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Could anyone tell whether there are programs available that would
> convert music (instrument + voice) into the corresponding scores? I
> understand that this would be a fairly complex operation, so such
> programs may well not exist...

Indeed this is not possible. Look in Google - groups to this newsgroups and
search for "wav to midi conversion" - you'll find a lot of postings on this
subject.

Herman Viaene

stic...@gmail.com

Feb 14, 2006, 6:26:15 AM2/14/06
Are you trying to print and/or display notes/staves/etc?

The best and cheapest product to do this is LilyPond (you can download
it for free.) Unfortunately, it's also the flakiest and the hardest to
install and use. It produces very nice output but you have to screw and
screw with your files to get them to print the correct notation. It is
capable of handling anything from a fake sheet to a full orchestra
arrangement.

Most sequencers like Cubase or Logic will also do this much more
easily. There are some notation-specific programs like Sibelius and
Finale that are slightly more oriented to notation, but they aren't any
cheaper. I think Sibelius has a free demo that won't save anything.

The new version of GarageBand (on mac) can work in notation, but I
don't know if it will print it.

notejam

Feb 16, 2006, 4:54:30 AM2/16/06
There ae many midi instruments available, so you can convert any midi
instruments that you play into scores.
There are midi sequencers that allow you to record the audio track
along with your midi, so you can end up having a file that can play
back both the midi and the audio in sync.
Just about all the midi sequencers made nowdays have this feature.

Converting singing into a score does not work very well, but there are
some programs that let you whistle or humm the music, and it converts
it to a midi recording, and then you can make that into a score. These
programs usually require you enter the song at a slower speed than
normal. Do a search on "pitch to midi"

What does work good, is load the audio track into a sequencer, and then
slow the tempo doen.
Some sequencers preserve the pitch of the audio track.
With such a sequencer, you can enter the midi notes that you hear on
the audio track, and then finally have a score for the audio track.

Another way is to load the audio track as a wave file into a wave
editor that allows magnifying the graph of the wave form. These
usually allow you to repeatedly play any lil segment of the wave so you
can figure out what any note is.

There are also programs to slow down a cd or wave file, but maintain
the pitch, so you can listen at half speed, 1/4 speed, etc Slow blast
from www.pgmusic.com (extra freebie when you buy certain other
programs from them)
.

Adrian Frost

Feb 28, 2006, 8:40:52 AM2/28/06
There are ways to do this.
1. Record your stuff onto some sort of media. eg. tape, 4 track, CD, DVD,
etc.

2. If you have CD or DVD record straight onto the computer

3. If you don't have CD or DVD you need to find a sound card that you can
plug into to record your stuff onto the computer.

4. You need to convert this to a midi file.

5. Use a programme such as Sibelius (AusD$239 for an Academic version) or
Finale (AusD$400 for an Academic version) to convert the midi file to
printed music

6. Print it!!!

Regards

Adrian

<dave_...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Gary Rimar

Mar 3, 2006, 5:04:16 AM3/3/06
Adrian:

Have you ever done this? Your step four, for most folks, is akin to saying
"then a miracle happens."

There is software that will "listen" to music and try to come up with MIDI
around it, but it usually only works for very simple single note music.

"Adrian Frost" <cold...@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message

Adrian Frost

Mar 8, 2006, 12:29:50 PM3/8/06
Gary

The "miracle" is available courtesy of Nero or Roxio Easy Media Creator.
I'm sure there are others, but these two are the best known. They allow you
to record analogue sounds and then convert them to digital, you "save as" a
.mid file.

Regards

Adrian
"Gary Rimar" <m...@garyrimar.com> wrote in message

Adrian Frost

Mar 8, 2006, 12:30:29 PM3/8/06
Hi Guys

I have apparently given you a bum steer. My computer guru says that you can
turn a midi file into sheet music, but at the moment there is no truly
successful way of making this happen.

Apparently you are right, there are programmes that will recognise a single
line, reasonably accurately, but that is as far as it goes.

They are currently working on a programme to do this but converting audio to
computer switches is proving very difficult.