help wanted: MP3 vs Ogg Vorbis experiment

Jeff

Apr 21, 2006, 2:21:29 PM4/21/06
I'm experimenting with a subtlety of the MP3 format and need some fresh
ears. Here is a link to two short clips made from the same recording but
compressed differently. They are both about 3.5M in size.

http://www.makewavs.com/compare.html

Can you hear any differences? Can you describe them?

I don't want to predispose anyone by saying what I think I can hear.

Thanks.

-jeff

Helge Stenstrom

Apr 27, 2006, 8:28:41 AM4/27/06
Jeff <jef...@makewavs.com> writes:

I can hear one of the samples, but not the other, because Windows
Media Player won't play ogg files.

It would be more useful if the listener doesn't know which sample is
which. People say that ogg sounds better, so I expect it to sound
better. My proposal is that you de-compress both compressed files into
WAV files, and publish them as 1 and 2, not telling which one is which
compression.

You probably don't need to increase the file size very much; decrease
the playing time to compensate.

Helge