Convert midi output to wav or mp3

Nico R

Jun 28, 2004, 7:07:55 PM6/28/04
Hi

i own a korg wave daughter card with a waveblaster port since 1991. so
far i've managed to keep a mx300 monster sound card with a compatible
daughter port to listen to my good old game musics( monkey islands,
sierra and ultimas to name them).

but now i have to finally upgrade to a newer computer with XP (sigh),
and i won't keep my old card, besides i'm tired of the lack of support
of those vortex cards.

so before i sell it to a (un?)lucky guy i want to convert the maximum of
my midi files to wav or better, mp3.

I've found mid converter 3.2, it is exactly the thing i need but it's
shareware, does anybody know if there exists a freeware equivalent?
(cheaper is better, and free is the best)

Thank you for any answer

regards

Nicolas

(I know i should not be nostalgic, but anybody who knows those games
will understand me - i hope)

Barry Graham

Jun 29, 2004, 9:04:52 PM6/29/04

"Nico R" <uruloki...@free.fr> wrote in message

> I've found mid converter 3.2, it is exactly the thing i need but it's
> shareware, does anybody know if there exists a freeware equivalent?
> (cheaper is better, and free is the best)

Here are a couple of options.

Synthfont - www.synthfont.com (records MIDI to wave).
Timidity - (sorry no limk) - (records MIDI as wave or mp3)
Nero v5+ - Wave Editor - (records MIDI and saves as wave, mp3 and other)
If you have a recent version of Nero you can do this.
Musicmatch Jukebox - www.musicmatch.com - (Free version) - (records MIDI as
wave or mp3)
----------------------
Barry Graham
Top Brass Events Band
Melbourne, Australia
www.topbrass.com.au

Nico R

Jun 29, 2004, 2:34:53 AM6/29/04
Barry Graham a écrit :

> Here are a couple of options.
>
> Synthfont - www.synthfont.com (records MIDI to wave).
> Timidity - (sorry no limk) - (records MIDI as wave or mp3)
> Nero v5+ - Wave Editor - (records MIDI and saves as wave, mp3 and other)
> If you have a recent version of Nero you can do this.
> Musicmatch Jukebox - www.musicmatch.com - (Free version) - (records MIDI as
> wave or mp3)

hey thank you very much, it gives me new ideas

I've tried with winamp, the wav output works if i modify the sample
options of the null midi plugin...
I'm going to compare the quality of the output now :)
regards

Nicolas

Jeffery S. Jones

Jun 30, 2004, 8:53:36 PM6/30/04
On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 01:07:55 +0200, Nico R <uruloki...@free.fr>
wrote:

> Hi
>
>i own a korg wave daughter card with a waveblaster port since 1991. so
>far i've managed to keep a mx300 monster sound card with a compatible
>daughter port to listen to my good old game musics( monkey islands,
>sierra and ultimas to name them).
>
>but now i have to finally upgrade to a newer computer with XP (sigh),
>and i won't keep my old card, besides i'm tired of the lack of support
>of those vortex cards.
>
>so before i sell it to a (un?)lucky guy i want to convert the maximum of
>my midi files to wav or better, mp3.
>
>I've found mid converter 3.2, it is exactly the thing i need but it's
>shareware, does anybody know if there exists a freeware equivalent?
>(cheaper is better, and free is the best)

If you want it to sound like your korg card, you have to record the
korg's output. Simplest method -- use any MIDI player to play the
sounds, any sound recording app to record them (as wave, most don't
record as mp3 and you're better off doing the conversion to mp3 after
recording anyway).

Jason Horton

Jul 7, 2004, 12:26:19 AM7/7/04