A "mysterious" application is taking full control of my Internet connection.

1 view

Franck

Aug 7, 2004, 7:28:39 AM8/7/04

I have the following problem. Whenever I connect to the Internet
through my 56K modem, the connection is immediately taken hold by what
what seems to be another application (apart from IE and Outlook that I
use). Indeed, even, when no application at all has been opened, after
one minute or so of connection I can see that 500 K have been sent and
300 K received.

It seems like an unknown application is:

1. Taking full control of my connection,
2. Having priority to carry information and,
3. Sending more information than it is receiving.

I have checked if any other application is open, but I haven't been
able to identify any.

I cannot use IE or Outlook properly since most of the connection is
already used in priority by such a "mysterious" application.

Could you please help? I run Windows XP.

Thank you so much!!

Best, Franck

Scott

Aug 8, 2004, 5:33:36 PM8/8/04
First thing you should do a virus scan to see if your infected with
something. Make sure you have a firewall and it's turned on. Windows XP
has one built into it which you just have to go to connection settings,
advanced tab and click it on. I think you should download this popular
spyware scanner to see what kinda program you've picked up.

Spybot

http://www.download.com/Spybot-Search-Destroy/3000-8022-10289035.html?tag=lst-4-2

is a good program for a fast scan, another one is Ad-aware which does a
better in depth scan

http://www.download.com/Ad-aware/3000-8022-10214379.html?tag=lst-4-1

If there's something hijacking your connection that should help finding it
and removing it.

Scott

Aug 8, 2004, 5:35:13 PM8/8/04
www.download.com has virus checkers too if you don't have one.

Scott

Aug 8, 2004, 5:40:08 PM8/8/04
Actually the first thing I should have recommended it ZoneAlarm from
www.download.com . It's a free firewall that stops not just incoming
attacks but stops anything trying to connect going out which would help you
with that unknown application. This would stop that until you fix whatever
that takes over, up to you which one you'd think to do first.