Dialer doesn't give digitized beeps, but gives static tones while dialing

Herb Ross

Aug 30, 2004, 3:06:49 PM8/30/04
After installing Windows XP SP2, my laptop's dialer stopped working
correctly (there was a power outage in the middle of the install of
SP2, but it seemed to pickup and finalize okay).

The modem is a chip set named, or with a model number, "HAMR5600."

I now get a dial tone on the modem, but instead the dialer producing
the digitized "beeps" for the numbers dialed, there are a series of
static-like tones (corresponding the number of digits dialed) which do
not allow the phone number dialed to answer. I get a disconnect due
to exceeding the time to dial. I.e., the number dialed never answers.

It is not the phone line, since other laptops (which have also been
through the SP2) upgrade work fine on the same phone line.

I found a proposed fix on the Microsoft Knowledge Base in Article
841802 which adds a port, 1720, but that did not fix the problem.

Summary of the problem: the dialer no longer puts out digitized beeps,
but instead produces a series of static like sounds which the number
being dialed cannot recognize and respond to.

Thanks for any help you can offer. ------------ Herb Ross

Herb Ross

Sep 1, 2004, 3:46:30 PM9/1/04
I found a simple solution, one which I should have tried first. I
uninstalled the modem drivers with the Control Panel program removal
feature. On the next startup, plug and play installed the modem so it
works again.

------ Herb Ross